Soviet Sensation or Russian Write-off?

EvilDave

"One more signing, and it's a big one. Big enough for us to ship Obukhov off to Azerbaijan to make room.

"A few years back, this man scored the only goal when Russia needed two. Golden boy of a generation, he did his part, let down by his colleagues.

"Now, frozen out in St Petersburg, I've spent six months convincing him to trade one lot of gas money for another. I present to you none other than Alex Kokorin.

"Oh, his debut. Off the bench, away to Kairat on the opening day? Fairly uneventful really..."

58e78dd8a3336_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.a0d32e9071dc13820d507fc2e62e127a.png

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well ****. Everything coming up fine, and then the peasants from Kyzylorda score twice in a minute to stop us in our tracks.

"Last year, we had a wobble when that happened for the first time. This time, we need to respond with big wins. More of them. Goals, clean sheets, domination. We should be able to walk this league unbeaten. We need to get as close as possible now."

A single defeat from their opening eight games was by no means a bad run - particularly given the scale of some of the wins - but it wasn't perfection. That frustrated Valeri.

58e799d04fc51_FKAstana_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.a26a088cb26a12109c869640e6377429.png

"Kairat. We batter them 5-2 on opening day, and they win seven straight. They won't last. This is ours."

The pressure, once again, was starting to take its toll.

58e799d144a48_KazakhstanPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.png.af4d20b8e888a983c4593bc75556afa2.png

"Back in business. Another frustrating draw against CSKA - who somehow have our number despite being new to the league - aside, this has been constant, one-way, unstoppable traffic.

"Halfway through, the title is only going one place - nowhere. We're keeping it, end of story. Kairat may think they have a chance, but we've battered them already and we'll do it again. This year is all about Astana."

CSKA weren't the only side to restrain Soldatkin's men - Taraz snuck a point, and Altay very nearly sprung a surprise in the first round of the cup, but otherwise it had been plain sailing for Valeri's side. Ordabasy and Kairat were the nearest rivals, and had been hit for nine unanswered goals between them - things were going well.

58ea3c765b37d_FKAstana_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.82bd47d11352cf0cb8dfc2f46fba0e72.png

"Even the takeover rumours - on then off again - can't derail us. Europe's elite will come calling soon, and that's our real challenge. Back home, five points clear, this is done."

Valeri was confident. Of that there are no doubts.

58ea3c776ea78_KazakhstanPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.png.2699a27d63fabbd15df0c3e7d370882d.png

"Europe. Where champions are crowned, history is made, and opposition is a damn sight tougher than in the tin-pot Europa. We didn't make it. Not this time.

"It could have been so different - a disallowed goal early in the first leg, a penalty not given in the second. Basel will say 4-1 is clear, but we could have had them - should have, even. We'll be back. They can count on it."

Astana, much to Valeri's chagrin, could not reach the promised land. A more turbulent journey than last year took them past Cypriots and Georgians (just) before the Swiss giants put them to the sword. In truth, they were never really in the tie, and would have to settle for the 'tin-pot' Europa again. Juventus, Marseille and Salzburg might sound like CL opponents, but this was definitely not the competition Valeri wanted.

CL.thumb.png.4dd618b51478385c437a721ff8561bde.png

"The league? Oh yeah, that. It's over. 

"I mean it. Eight games to go, 16 points clear, eight wins in a row. I don't know why we bother any more. Some Polish club tried to spoil the party by luring Lukhtanov away, but we grabbed a replacement just as good for half the price, and younger too. It's getting boring."

Was Valeri getting itchy feet? Were Astana's riches finally getting a little dull? Where would he prefer to take his talents? Of course, he could stick around and boost his reputation with more nailed-on titles, try and beat points records each season and eventually supply the entire Kazakh national squad. Or, he could seek pastures anew which, outside of Russia at least, would likely be a step down. Could his ego take it?

League.thumb.png.cb549c942c083d4c33f6ccf2b54acc11.png

58eb32536b64f_ValeriSoldatkin_Home.png.6d4cc9c2d408e87d5efa143d0086bb7b.png

"I've had enough of this. We're dominant in the league, but miles away in Europe. Richer than everyone in the league, but with a pitiful talent pool to pick from. This club is set up for years if it isn't stupid, but after two years I've had enough.

"I knew it a while ago, and then the Italians came back. Five transfers ready to go for next season, cancelled because the bloody Romans don't know how to seal a deal. I don't want to be working for some amateurs when trying to make the Champions League.

"What will I remember? Winning the cup within weeks of arriving. Away draws in Moscow, Seville and Leverkusen. Winning the 3-2 thriller in Salzburg just days ago. Plucking Kokorin from Zenit's reserves and seeing him score more than a goal a game. Only losing three of 62 league games. Utterly dominating an entire nation.

"But the time is right. Mashuk, Anzhi, Astana - all of them came with short-term goals, quick titles to be grabbed, badges to be earned, reputation to be built. What I need is a project. A chance to build from the ground up. A fallen giant maybe, or at least somewhere with a bit of history.

"Astana, it's been nice knowing you. If you don't screw this up, you should win this league by a dozen points or more for the next five years at least. Give me that as your parting gift."

And with that, he was gone. Two games into a Europa League campaign (beating Salzburg 3-2 in Austria and taking a 7-1 home hammering by Marseille), midway through a cup semi-final, and with four dead rubbers left in the league, Valeri walked. Surely he had a plan?

58eb5cd1b2b75_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.950d8be22b2734be520eb56d90c6215f.png 

"Back in the game. It didn't take long - a couple of weeks - and the new gig couldn't be more different.

"This is a side that hasn't won anything bar an odd pre-season cup for a decade. 15 years ago, they were part of a Real/Barca duopoly and now... Well, the money ran out.

"It's my job to haul this sorry rabble and turn them into a force again. There are half a dozen sides better than us now, but the board want a challenge. Well, so did I.

"No money, only three foreigners allowed, and a squad on the wane. Sounds like a job for Valeri Soldatkin."

58ebb8cf90626_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.de92c21e846fec3ff244b504299180ae.png

Uzbekistan was Valeri's next destination, where he round out the final five games of the season with a win, three draws and defeat to finish 7th. He'd have the winter to get a squad together that was capable of challenging for the top spots, and dethroning Neftchi - champions in five of the last six seasons. He'd have to do it on a shoestring compared to his Kazakh money, and without the club reputation that he'd enjoyed at Astana.

In short, this would be a test. After finding success easy to come by so far, it was one he needed. 

Looks an interesting move, ED. I may have missed it, but how were the homegrown rules at Astana? By that I mean, can you sign overseas young players of 18 and under for them to become homegrown in three years, or is it much more strict? 

I support the move to Uzbekistan. :thup: Kazakhstan was too easy. The cool thing about this is the potential to go further in continental competitions in Asia - once you start cleaning out the domestic league, of course. ;)

On 4/10/2017 at 20:28, withnail316 said:

Looks an interesting move, ED. I may have missed it, but how were the homegrown rules at Astana? By that I mean, can you sign overseas young players of 18 and under for them to become homegrown in three years, or is it much more strict? 

Thanks, it's certainly a lot more of a competitive scene in Uzbekistan! League rules for Kazakhstan are a 35-man squad, eight of whom can be foreign and 10 of whom have to be u21 - of any nationality. The strange thing is that you also don't need to register u21s for them to play, so you could just leave gaps. I've no idea if foreign youngsters would then not count as foreigners - I didn't risk it!

On 4/15/2017 at 20:49, noikeee said:

I support the move to Uzbekistan. :thup: Kazakhstan was too easy. The cool thing about this is the potential to go further in continental competitions in Asia - once you start cleaning out the domestic league, of course. ;)

Thanks, and I agree - with Astana's resources, I was basically playing for Europe and crossing my fingers for a favourable draw. Bunyodkor have got issues, but if we ever get there, the ACL should be fun!

Bunyodkor_logo.thumb.jpg.37552757d2e2199c0a4ef30d40b78751.jpg

"So then, Uzbekistan. Club in the red, on the back of a rough year, new staff in the door. Three friendlies and then into competitive action - well, sort of.

"The PFL Cup isn't taken too seriously by anybody, but it gives us chance to see where we stand against the rest of the league. The results? As expected."

PFL.thumb.png.3f6c7aeab568756287e74080779a4bfc.png

Despite a last-match loss against Lokomotiv, Valeri's new charges came through their four-club group with a couple of points to spare. Drawn against the nation's dominant force in Neftchi in the last eight, a tight 2-2 was ruined by a red card and therefore three quick goals for the oppositions. Promising signs, Valeri?

"Five bloody goals, not acceptable. Not even slightly. We'll be running defensive drills for weeks, mark my sodding words."

Maybe not then. 

"Not bad, but not good enough yet. Olmaliq are not a team we should be losing to, but the hammering of Lokomotiv was nice after the pre-season cup result.

"We stand a chance of going through in the cup as well, but we're going to need something this season. We're bleeding money, and we'll need that if we're going to push up in future years."

Is that a hint of foresight from Valeri? Surely not. Either way, his Bunyodkor side had made a decent start, five wins and three defeats leaving them at the right end of the table early on. He would be expecting improvement too, once his system was fully implemented.

58f52228b94d5_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.7277b9f20dc28c9142be41bb0e93b887.png

"So, it looks like Paxtakor, Nasaf, Neftchi - possibly Mash'al and Buxoro too. We'll be up there - the board won't stand us outside the top four or five - but to win it all this year... Well, that might be beyond even me."

Even you, Valeri? Sounds impossible...

58f52227ae5fe_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.8ca0863416ad4afad37e37bc1305d0ff.png

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

That's a decent start imo! Just gotta hope some of the teams with games in their hand drop the ball so you can keep a hold of top 4.

Yep, not bad by any measure. Top two in the league go direct to the ACL, third depends on the cup winners, so it'll need to be a very good season for us to make continental football though!

"Better. Much better. Were it not for bloody Neftchi - lurking ominously with their games in hands - we'd be on a perfect run. 

"Well, almost perfect. Andijon. 39 shots, not one goal. Has a team ever dominated so much without scoring? Ever?"

I'm sure they have, Valeri. Clearly not an Arsenal fan. Still, his own side were doing well. Very well in fact. 

58f53f2847abf_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.00aec71a1b9d65e67d68b64c19ad4344.png

"Just over half way through, and we're second. Very good indeed, as I have to keep telling the players.

"It's tight though. Too close for comfort in every direction. The transfer window is coming soon, and I fear the worst. We've got good players, no money, and teams hovering. I'm not answering my phone."

The financial situation may have been precarious, but the league table was looking pretty good for Valeri right now.

58f53f29747df_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.f2b199774d8bb1747ee2d8202cddcd24.png

"I'm not sure incompetence even covers it. Idiocy maybe. There are stronger words, but these people employ me.

"Despite the debt, they give me some money. I use it, raiding our title challengers for a young striker. Then they get twitchy. Transfer bloody deadline day and, after fending them off the whole month, I get hauled in and told they can't hold out any longer - because of the financial mess, they're selling our first choice keeper to our title rivals for what, 10 per cent of the debt. Two days before we play them. 

"It's stupid enough in itself, but it's ruined us. We had a shot at the title with Kompalla. Our second-choice is a good kid, Vintovkin. He's only 18. And guess what? After the Paxtakor game, he did his ankle ligaments. Eight weeks. Third choice? Still in school, and generally useless.

"It's hardly a surprising we can't buy a ****ing win, is it?"

Valeri was not impressed. Pop went his club's title hopes, and he now has a winless streak to deal with.

58f8b86f792d8_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.2f11c1150fb8458bf488ea2bf300afa0.png

"At least the Euros provided some sodding entertainment. Waste of time for us Soviets though - Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Armenia all made it, and they got four points between them. Three of them were Russia beating Armenia, and Ukraine tied Austria. That was enough to get them through the groups - stupid competition with three of four qualifying - where they lost to England without scoring. France took the trophy, should you care.

"The league table? Sod it, it's done. The board gave me another year on the contract, I think as a apology for their sabotage. We'll be lucky to finish third. We could have won the damn thing too."

A despondent Valeri had seen his title charge evaporate, and with five games remaining faced a battle to stay third - Neftchy, Mash'al, DInamo and Navbakor all looked threatening. The cup was his only hope of silverware this season now.

58f8b86e2f8a2_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.5b6726c842115314b4123a0edf82278a.png

I've really enjoyed your latest story on the other forum, and enjoying this one too. Lovely writing!

Such a shame the chairman did that. Seems it should be a "bug" in FM to fix the programming, but that happens IRL too, so...bummer. Sorry! All your hard work...but you'll be back to winning ways soon, I'm sure. :)

29 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

I've really enjoyed your latest story on the other forum, and enjoying this one too. Lovely writing!

Such a shame the chairman did that. Seems it should be a "bug" in FM to fix the programming, but that happens IRL too, so...bummer. Sorry! All your hard work...but you'll be back to winning ways soon, I'm sure. :)

Thanks for reading! Glad you're enjoying the stories.

I'm not sure players being sold over my head is the bug here - the club at the time were in debt to the tune of around £1m - but to sell for less than you've just let the manager buy for makes no sense. I mean, just cancel the incoming transfer and you're better off!

"Amazing what you can do with a goalkeeper who knows which hands the gloves go on. Five games out, we wrap things up unbeaten and take the cup too. 

"If the stupid board hadn't sold Kompalla..."

The slump was quickly arrested and, as Valeri says, the run-in was negotiated well. But was it good enough?

58f905541c6a3_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.63dfe18e1fa2e3e90d315e9562538b3c.png

58f9055560e2a_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.e1c8572e444aa5721b5651dc3a90fdaa.png

"Don't get too excited - it looks closer than it was. Nasaf had it wrapped up before a last-day loss. Navbaxor are probably sick of us now.

"Third isn't bad - and we get the ACL football the board crave - but do you know what the best part of this is? Paxtakor led the league until round 27 and missed out entirely. The traitor Kompalla winds up empty-handed and behind us. I could almost cry."

Third place and a cup win earns Asian football on two fronts, with Nasaf and Neftchi putting in exceptionally strong runs in the last 10 games to take the top two spots. Still, it'll be a long while before Valeri forgives the board for selling his keeper.

"So, year end and time for a review. Third-best defence and second-best attack gives us plenty to go with, but with no money in the bank, I imagine I'll be working wit what I've got. Let's hope Neftchi don't start as strong as they finished next time."

Bunyodkor had some of the league's top-rated players - notably centre-back and captain Komilov and marauding right-back (can anyone other than a full-back maraud?) Kobilov. Old man Abduholiqov got the biggest share of the goals, but is undeniably on the wane. Next season? Not that he'd openly admit it, but if there was any chance of a free transfer or two to bolster the depth, and he could keep his pesky board's hands away from his players...

"We can win this. No doubt. I just need them to let me do my job."

Simple really.

9 minutes ago, EvilDave said:

I know, isn't it just a great word? I'm hoping this qualifies me for a Super Kubogi next season!

That would be amazing. Sounds like an episode of Dragon Ball Z. Or like someone having a stroke. 

"Where to start? Usually, I'd go with the trophy we won, but that doesn't seem quite right this time. Maybe with how my board have no idea how to run a football club?

"Let me clarify. Last season, with a sizeable debt, they sold our first-choice goalkeeper without so much as a consultation. Which made sense, other than sanctioning an incoming deal for twice as much.

"This year, they're delighted at me shifting our back-up right-back and promising but unneeded teenage winger for big money. After all, we need it.

"But only after they let me spend it in advance. On the country's best young keeper and midfielder, no less. Our loan signing should do the business, too."

Valeri's business made little sense from a financial point of view, but the squad was undoubtedly strengthened. It just meant he was open to being pulled up by the board at a future date once again.

"The football itself? Cups, tonnes of the damn things. The pre-season PFL Cup - done on penalties with a second-string - and the start of the Champions League - which we're destroying.

"Oh yeah. We won one too. Did I mention that?"

Yes, Valeri, you mentioned it. If I were you, I'd be mentioning the impressive ACL start more though - with only three Uzbek sides making it out the groups since 2016, two wins from two (Qatar's Al-Gharrafa are the final side) is an excellent way to get going. Shame 

58fbaca4a45a6_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.596dc02b56bb0fd69db217ad8855b5e5.png

58fbaca5a3004_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.125f095d07d823d5521df5b6d81c383e.png 

"Thanks, but no thanks, not yet anyway. Other fish to fry."

5900ca5bab51a_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.8f34c4a40d65da229b867fd78e9c321e.png

"It's been busy. Stupidly busy. Not that that stops us. We've blitzed through the CL group and into the next round, and quite frankly I don't know how Uzbek sides haven't done it before. Nasaf managed it with us too.

"In the league, we've thrown away some stupid points, but we're hanging on in there. If we can cut that out - and my word there'll be some harsh words if we don't - we'll have a chance at the title. At the very least we should be nailing down a CL spot."

The CL campaign was indeed strong, losing just once and dumping stronger sides by the wayside. Those careless draws could prove costly though...

5900ca58a9f4d_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.6c116bc633c7fb37f8605b32592db153.png

"There are four of us in this, and at the minute Nasaf has the upper hand. It's tight though, bloody tight. One win over a challenger and we're back up there. We can do this.

"The best part of all this? Paxtakor in 12th. Glorious."

Valeri was enjoying that a great deal. He just needed to make sure his side kept their focus now - fighting on all three fronts would prove a tricky task indeed...

5900ca5a3614b_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.0cce286fb6a31c50c696fdeb3c24714e.png

I'm enjoying reading this and am glad you're moving around the different states, and not just sticking to Russia, even if it does mean taking a less challenging role like Astana.

I had actually heard of Bunyodkor, because they were one of the clubs Rivaldo played for on his end of career world tour.  I also managed the Uzbek national team on FM years ago with a veteran Maxim Shatskikh up front.

1 hour ago, Sir_Liam said:

I'm enjoying reading this and am glad you're moving around the different states, and not just sticking to Russia, even if it does mean taking a less challenging role like Astana.

I had actually heard of Bunyodkor, because they were one of the clubs Rivaldo played for on his end of career world tour.  I also managed the Uzbek national team on FM years ago with a veteran Maxim Shatskikh up front.

Now that you mention it... the club name did sound familiar to me, just didn't register as to why.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:12, noikeee said:

I'm surprised/disappointed the Supercup isn't named the Superkubogi.

You and me both! Valeri's immune system remains safe for now.

On 4/27/2017 at 13:27, Sir_Liam said:

Thanks Liam! Trekking around the FSU is fun, and I hope to complete the set eventually! I'm impressed you remember the Uzbek stop on Rivaldo's world tour - and Maxim Shatskikh is a great shout. What I'd do for a striker like that...

"They've only gone and done it again. Over my head, against my will - no, not even against it, just regardless of it - just to throw a few more coins down the bottomless well. Damn it, how the hell am I supposed to win things with these people in charge?"

Another window, another sale. This one hadn't even made his debut, but was fast rising through the ranks. He'd be a star of the future at Bunyodkor, but he wouldn't get the chance. Valeri wasn't happy.

"I drag them kicking and screaming back up the league, into the last eight on the whole freakin' continent, and they do this. I tell you, if I didn't want to win this title so bloody much, I'd be out. Principle can take a kicking for now, but my patience is wearing."

League form had been good - just four dropped points in 10 weeks - and the ACL win over Qatari outfit El-Jaish was one for the ages. Combined with serene progress into the semis of the cup - sorry, Kubogi - events on the field gave Soldatkin little to complain about.

5903a51ed5268_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.15e159ac29594f7c85267682b087ca5c.png

"It's still four. Nasaf have got it all to lose, Mash'al have surely got to crack eventually. Neftchi have got the pedigree, but have they got the fight? No, this is us and Nasaf, a two-team shoot-out to end it. Either they repeat and set up some sort of dynasty, or we rip it from their backward, provincial hands and keep it. This time we're the elite, the historic, the proud, the powerful. They're the upstarts, and someone needs to sort them the hell out."

Valeri was angry, and spoiling for a fight. He had one too - but would his team rise to it?

5903a52026278_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.c1cc7549497b394a5e7b6c01bee6418f.png 

"Not one step back boys, not one single ****ing step! We haven't worked all season for this only to blow it at the last!

"I saw you in that quarter-final. Trailing by three and three more conceded in 20 minutes. We nearly pulled it off. The biggest comeback in history, beaten by time. Not again.

"No, not only did you said the Saudis running home please to be alive, you smashed So'g'diyona, dumped Nasaf out of the cup, then did them over in the league to boot.

"That seven point lead they had? Gone, in six games. They're choking, they can't handle the Bunyodkor machine. They don't know where to turn, where to run, what to do. Back in the cup final, six games from league glory. It's our time. Your time. We do not fail from here."

Valeri had been watching old war films again.

"5904dcdccb448_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.e9a719583ff34434e5b0727060092a44.png

5904dcdac88d4_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.78cacbb36507ea48482a6e260c3428b9.png

Gah, so close in the Asian Champions League. I think a run to the quarter-finals is great, if you can pair that with the fabulous Uzbek title you've got a successful season.

On 5/1/2017 at 14:58, noikeee said:

Gah, so close in the Asian Champions League. I think a run to the quarter-finals is great, if you can pair that with the fabulous Uzbek title you've got a successful season.

Thanks @noikeee - quarters is the best an Uzbek side have done in the save so far (apart from Nasaf this year, who went one further) so I'm well pleased with it. Prize money is pitiful though, we're still in debt!

"Let's get the first thing out the way. There's something about the word Kubogi. It's a magical word, the key to happiness in these Central Asian backwaters. My word. We did it the hard way, but no-one is taking that thing from us."

5909f873468ad_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.png.19b9f73aca8598f23f1979e7720f0cf5.png

"Next, the league. A draw at Paxtakor, then three wins to keep going strong. Nasaf under pressure, struggling to keep up. The Bunyodkor machine steaming off into the distance. The finish line in sight, three points clear with two to play.

"Bump.

"That was the sound of ****ing Navbaxor hammering us at their place. Nasaf won. We led by one on goal difference going into the final day. The most exciting thing to happen to Uzbekistan since independence, and even that just sort of happened. This was big stuff. Away at Andijon, bottom of the league and already gone.

"We snuck the win. But was it enough?"

5909f86fa493b_BunyodkorToshkent_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.d21f7a989476e2f882a2a2be308aea72.png

"You're damn right it was. Champions baby! Valeri is back, and Bunyodkor own this country!"

You had to hand it to his side - they bounced back from that defeat with the character of champions. In the end, even a point would have done - Nasaf bottled it away at Qizilqum. Not that the celebrations were any quieter for it...

5909f872940fb_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.26ad1cc67842d9db2f89d773b4f18a51.png

5909f8717ff8a_OzbekistonProfessionalFutbolLigasi_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.38efa37182ff1d2a544a68990a1a9c1b.png

"So what now? I wanted a project, but two years in we're already double-winners - says a lot about the state of the game out here. We've got some of the best in the business out here - captain Komilov a rock in the centre or out left, bargain Toshev banging them in, and my personal favourite, a cast-off for free from Paxtakor, Ho'jaev in the goals and assists. The team is well set to dominate, especially if I stick around.

"But what is there to do now? The ACL? Seems unlikely unless this board suddenly learn how to run a football club. But then, what's out there? Kyrgyzstan, Belarus, maybe Armenia or Azerbaijan. All would be a step down, and I should be a man in demand. Teams should be firing people to have me in charge. Maybe it's time for a change..."

Once again, Valeri found himself at a crossroads after success. On the one hand, Uzbekistan was reasonably competitive - for now - and the ACL provided some interest. On the other, he'd won all three domestic trophies in a season, and was up against a greed-driven board at home and the riches of China and Arabia on the continent.

With smaller jobs becoming available - Kyrgyz champions Dordoy, Torpedo Minsk just promoted to the top flight, relegation battlers in Azerbaijan - Soldatkin faced a decision. 

What should he do? What would you do? Stick or twist?

"January 1st, 2026. Another New Year, another night of too much vodka and awkward reflection. These have got to stop.

"It's been nearly six weeks since the latest title. A full-on, backs-to-the-wall, against-the-odds jobs with next to no resources and a board selling players over my head. Could we do it again? Sure. Did I want to? No."

590aedbd71c6a_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.e3dddd0f4d956b0fa4ab51583bb13a31.png

"What now then? A sodding rest, that's what. Astana, Tashkent, even Makhachkala to an extent, are buzzing cities, blink-and-you'll-miss-it sort of places. Pressure in every role. I thrive under it. Of course I do, I'm Valeri bloody Soldatkin!

"But that doesn't mean it isn't tiring. I've been doing this seven years now, seven years of unmatched success across the Union. A change of scenery will do me good. Somewhere a bit less manic. Off the radar.

"So where to? We'll see. A smaller club, maybe a smaller country. I don't need the money, after all. Some scenery nearby would be nice. Somewhere I won't get sick of after two seasons.

"We'll see. I doubt it'll take long." 

9 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Congrats on the Uzbeki double. Really building up the exotic manager CV here.

Thanks, Valeri is rattling round the former Soviet Union at a fair old pace! I'm enjoying this save a lot - it helps when you're winning, of course...

... didn't expect to see you move away from Uzbekistan already, though.

"smaller country". The Baltic? Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia? Or maybe the Caucasus? Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan?

Archived