Difficulty level

For what it's worth, I think it's really hard. Especially the tactic part. The match highlights are so short, it's hard to tell if your players are doing what you want or not. And all those player roles... I don't know if my striker should be a poacher, advanced forward, complete forward or whatever, I know I want him to play up front and score goals! 😂

I tend to play with weaker teams though. Maybe the game is easier if you go for Barcelona or PSG. 

• SI Staff

Generally the hardcore fans are the ones who are more likely to find the game a bit easy, and this is simply because they've invested more time learning the ins and outs of it. Overall I would say it's very slightly easier than 2016, which verged on being too difficult for more casual players. It's a hard tightrope to walk!

Thanks for the feedback......

I would consider myself an average fm player, I'm no tactical genius. so for example if I managed oxford city in the vanarama south would consecutive promotions be likely playing within the rules.... I would quickly get bored by winning all the time, I enjoy a challenge.

• SI Staff

Basically, you won't get this without putting a fair bit of time and study into what you're doing (in my opinion at least). It's supposed to be a quick pick-up-and-play game so such quick progress will be out of reach to the majority of people who play while commuting. If you're playing at home and have more time to spend on decisions it may be a little easier. I work on the game of course, though, so it's probably more useful for members of the community with a slightly more outside view to talk about their experiences.

I find this game too easy. I certainly wish it had more of a challenge. As Alari says, those people who are considered to be hardcore players would probably find FMM 2017 on the easy side. I've been playing these types of games for about 25 years (that has made me feel really old) so I definitely have a much better idea of what is needed to be successful at it. It must be difficult to find a difficulty level which fits everyone's skill level and I suppose it's better for it to be slightly easy than completely impossible, but if you're reading SI - make it harder 😉.

13 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

I find this game too easy. I certainly wish it had more of a challenge. As Alari says, those people who are considered to be hardcore players would probably find FMM 2017 on the easy side. I've been playing these types of games for about 25 years (that has made me feel really old) so I definitely have a much better idea of what is needed to be successful at it. It must be difficult to find a difficulty level which fits everyone's skill level and I suppose it's better for it to be slightly easy than completely impossible, but if you're reading SI - make it harder 😉.

I hate when people say it's easy - it makes me feel so stupid! :lol:

Maybe I'm over-complicating things, but I never seem to get the tactics right! 

a) I carefully design a tactic with player roles that complement each other ...

b) ... only to find that I don't have suitable players

c) I try to create a tactic that fits my players ... 

d) ... but that doesn't work either - the player roles are probably unbalanced or whatever

It will never happen, but I wish SI would scrap these "roles" altogether and instead give us individual instructions. I'd like to tell this guy to run forward, that guy to stay back, without setting them as "AP" or "BWM" or whatever - sounds like they get a lot of instructions "under the hood" which I don't want.

Sigh.

If anyone has a "plug and play", good tactic, feel free to post it here... 

for each position, different stats are more important. for example, for my AMC i prefer creativity, passing and finishing in that order. for DC marking tackling positioning and heading are important. a lot of it comes down to football know how. it boils down to how you want to play.

I feel like OME is easy mode and EME is slightly harder. Maybe SI can add an expert mode option though I'm not sure what that would be without making the AI cheat. As they continue to work on AI's formation/tactics bugs, game will evolve to be a bit more difficult, in theory. 

7 hours ago, Footix said:

I hate when people say it's easy - it makes me feel so stupid! :lol:

Maybe I'm over-complicating things, but I never seem to get the tactics right! 

a) I carefully design a tactic with player roles that complement each other ...

b) ... only to find that I don't have suitable players

c) I try to create a tactic that fits my players ... 

d) ... but that doesn't work either - the player roles are probably unbalanced or whatever

It will never happen, but I wish SI would scrap these "roles" altogether and instead give us individual instructions. I'd like to tell this guy to run forward, that guy to stay back, without setting them as "AP" or "BWM" or whatever - sounds like they get a lot of instructions "under the hood" which I don't want.

Sigh.

If anyone has a "plug and play", good tactic, feel free to post it here... 

Remember that player roles also need to compliment the formation and team tactics. If you want to tell me which formation, tactics and player role setup you use, I'd be happy to do my best Gary Neville impression.

OK, so currently I am using the formation / roles as below.

Balanced mentality, mixed passing, mixed passing focus, mixed GK distribution and normal tacking. I play the offside trap.

To be fair it works OK, we win more than we lose, but I recently went on this horrific streak, losing 7 out of 10 (1 win, 2 draws). Then all of a sudden things picked up and we started winning again. I don't know, something about this game seems so random.

1z374wh.png

Personally, if that was my team (and not knowing the players you have) I would have the RB as a wing back too, so you have width on both sides of the pitch. 

I would also convert the central CM to a DLP and the left CM to a CM. Im not really a fan of the BWM role unless there is a DM sat behind him.

Obviously player attributes and traits come into play, but as a template that's what I'd go with.

Having said that, I've found wing backs a little undercooked in this version, they don't seem to get forward enough. I've had better results with a back three and two defensive wingers in the ML and MR position. 

As always, YMMV 😏

Whenever I play BWM, I always have them in the centre of the pitch and I always have a playmaker of some description playing alongside him (so either an AP or a DLP). You need someone to do something with the possession once a BWM has won the ball back.

I never play opposite roles on the fullbacks. Either select FB or WB. One of each creates unbalance in my opinion. I tend to go WB if I don't have width in my midfield or if I want to have a more attacking philosophy to my tactics.

I only ever olay a complete forward if he has the stats to play this role otherwise I go with Advanced Forward.

The logic behind some of the roles:

- WB goes forward, BWM covers
- BBM goes forward, FB covers

makes us somewhat less predictable

- CF does his own thing. I have tried all the roles, settled for CF as that seemed to be the most consistent performer.

I'll test out your advice, thanks. Your suggestions all make sense, although I believe I have tried most of them already.

On ‎2017‎年‎3‎月‎20‎日 at 15:18, Footix said:

The logic behind some of the roles:

- WB goes forward, BWM covers
- BBM goes forward, FB covers

makes us somewhat less predictable

- CF does his own thing. I have tried all the roles, settled for CF as that seemed to be the most consistent performer.

I'll test out your advice, thanks. Your suggestions all make sense, although I believe I have tried most of them already.

From my feeling, after update of v8.2, the result are more random, less logic.

It is more difficult to take effective measre to counter AI tactics in current version (v8.2) than before.

Archived