Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
stevio11

Should Brexit be left out the game ?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

The question is simple and I think yes, SI made a big mistake as no one knows what is going to happen regarding transfers for EU and NON EU players in the future.I got a hard Brexit so  set my scouts to finding international players only as its impossible to get a work permit for anyone who has never played for their country and its just as difficult getting permits for those who do play for their country as scout reports never tell you how many caps they have got over a 2 year period, if they did then it would stop us wasting time on players we cant sign.  

I presume people are having this problem as well and whilst I can't change SI's decision, they should have waited because I believe football will get a different decision regarding transfers in the future, the reason being the amount of money in the game,sponsorship and the fact that  the EPL is most watched League in the world and they were seek assurances that the top players in the world and other international players can come and play over here if they want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, they were right. Perhaps if they'd included it earlier more people would have a grasp of what a constitutional nightmare lay ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stevio11 said:

But no one knows whats going to happen, that's the point so why guess when you don't know

That's why there's different outcomes available. I was gutted when I got a soft Brexit, I wanted the hardest setting to see how I'd do up against it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"But no one knows whats going to happen, that's the point so why guess when you don't know"

You could say the same for those voting either way during the Referendum. 

Edited by Nonlondoner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had 2 long term saves so far, and had both the Hard and Soft Brexits. I have to admit, I hated getting the hard one initially, but it's been a great challenge trying to keep up my level of success and build for the future with the new restrictions.

I also believe there is an option to disable it in a new save... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we don't know what is going to happen for sure, it should absolutely be optional at the very least. I find it pretty bizarre that SI feel so strongly about this that they even went out of their way to make it impossible for people to even reload their game to get a different outcome and not ruin their game. I appreciate some don't feel it ruins the game or that some like the "challenge" but hard brexit ruins a pretty popular game style and it only happens after you have already invested a lot of time in the game. If/when it happens IRL, then fair enough. Until then, get rid of it or make it optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You bought the game knowing there were Brexit scenarios, right? You also know it can be removed via editor. 

I'm yet to get to Brexit yet (sadly, keep starting new games!), but I'm relishing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maystor said:

As long as we don't know what is going to happen for sure, it should absolutely be optional at the very least. I find it pretty bizarre that SI feel so strongly about this that they even went out of their way to make it impossible for people to even reload their game to get a different outcome and not ruin their game. I appreciate some don't feel it ruins the game or that some like the "challenge" but hard brexit ruins a pretty popular game style and it only happens after you have already invested a lot of time in the game. If/when it happens IRL, then fair enough. Until then, get rid of it or make it optional.

I find it bizarre that you claim that it ruins a "pretty popular" playstyle when all it does is at worst is apply the same rules to European countries as apply to the rest of the world.

Where were the complaints about not being able to sign Brazilians, Argentines, other South/North Americans, Asians, Africans for the last 20 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I find it bizarre that you claim that it ruins a "pretty popular" playstyle when all it does is at worst is apply the same rules to European countries as apply to the rest of the world.

Where were the complaints about not being able to sign Brazilians, Argentines, other South/North Americans, Asians, Africans for the last 20 years?

Are you serious? You do know most of the good footballers come from Europe, right? If it isn't such a big deal why do people want hard brexit in their game for a challenge? It does ruin a pretty popular playstyle, no matter what you think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maystor said:

Are you serious? You do know most of the good footballers come from Europe, right? If it isn't such a big deal why do people want hard brexit in their game for a challenge? It does ruin a pretty popular playstyle, no matter what you think about it.

Where do you start with a statement like that?  :rolleyes: or :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Where do you start with a statement like that?  :rolleyes: or :D

Perhaps with some facts? Only south americans come even close. Try posting something constructive for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Maystor - but anyways, there is a way to disable it by using the pre-editor and so you need to start a new save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malicious Penguin said:

No. What are you going to do if 'Hard Brexit' occurs in real life? Stop buying FM?!

No because I have a hard brexit now, my point is not even the football world know what is going to happen yet so why second guess something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stevio11 said:

Hi everyone,

The question is simple and I think yes, SI made a big mistake as no one knows what is going to happen regarding transfers for EU and NON EU players in the future.I got a hard Brexit so  set my scouts to finding international players only as its impossible to get a work permit for anyone who has never played for their country and its just as difficult getting permits for those who do play for their country as scout reports never tell you how many caps they have got over a 2 year period, if they did then it would stop us wasting time on players we cant sign.  

I presume people are having this problem as well and whilst I can't change SI's decision, they should have waited because I believe football will get a different decision regarding transfers in the future, the reason being the amount of money in the game,sponsorship and the fact that  the EPL is most watched League in the world and they were seek assurances that the top players in the world and other international players can come and play over here if they want

Just a thought, but would you be asking the same question if you'd had a soft Brexit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I would,I never thought it should be in from the start as I am afraid no one at SI has a clue about what will happen until at least 2-3 years time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stevio11 said:

Yes I would,I never thought it should be in from the start as I am afraid no one at SI has a clue about what will happen until at least 2-3 years time

No, you wouldn't.  Effectively nothing would've changed in that situation.  You're honestly saying that you'd still have come on here and written a tear-stained post about how it's awful that everything had stayed the same?

At least be honest with your criticisms and expect that you're only complaining because you didn't like how the random dice fell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stevio11 said:

No because I have a hard brexit now, my point is not even the football world know what is going to happen yet so why second guess something

i think thats the point the uncertainty of whats going to happen, that the managers / clubs are going through now do they ignore it until theres more information on how its going to effect them, or do they start preparing for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it should be in, simply because we don't know what is going to happen yet. Sniping from @Nonlondoner aside, wether Brexit is a success or failure won't be able to be properly judged until at least a few years after we've left - which hasn't happened yet.

Once it's been settled in real life, I agree it should be in. While we're still deciding to leave, and what leaving will look like, it should be out.  Seeing as the French election is soon and Le Pen has a chance of winning, if she does will France have a Frexit(?) in FM18?

I feel it was only included because it's a decent marketing point for a game that otherwise had very few. This is 100% not a dig at SI, but without Brexit it would have been: 'We've updated the squads, changed some being the scenes stuff and added in two new staff roles that don't have any key attributes'. Slightly more of a difficult sell than including Brexit - something we're still talking about now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HemHat said:

I don't think it should be in, simply because we don't know what is going to happen yet. Sniping from @Nonlondoner aside, wether Brexit is a success or failure won't be able to be properly judged until at least a few years after we've left - which hasn't happened yet.

Once it's been settled in real life, I agree it should be in. While we're still deciding to leave, and what leaving will look like, it should be out.  Seeing as the French election is soon and Le Pen has a chance of winning, if she does will France have a Frexit(?) in FM18?

I feel it was only included because it's a decent marketing point for a game that otherwise had very few. This is 100% not a dig at SI, but without Brexit it would have been: 'We've updated the squads, changed some being the scenes stuff and added in two new staff roles that don't have any key attributes'. Slightly more of a difficult sell than including Brexit - something we're still talking about now.

We don't need to know if it'll be a success or not. The game doesn't simulate any economic change - there's no possibility for Brexit to harm the British clubs finances, for instance. But the uncertainty over how it will affect football clubs is the whole point, because it's a crucial decision for clubs and managers to make. If in real life right now a Premier League manager bought in a lot of EU players on the cheap to try and avoid relegation, it would come with the risk of backfiring quite badly if squad restrictions etc were eventually imposed. Meanwhile, a manager who focuses on British youth might be massively rewarded if they are suddenly extremely valuable and growing as players while the competing squads weaken. The uncertainty itself, not just the final outcome, has a real effect on decisions right now, right from the start of the game, and that's why its inclusion makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it shouldnt be in the game until its actually happened and we know what it actually means.

 

FM isnt a political game and shouldnt become one.

 

Would be interested to see if fm18 will have a ban on certain muslim nationals playing in the states....... Bet SI dont touch that one with a barge pole!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hairycull said:

I think it shouldnt be in the game until its actually happened and we know what it actually means.

 

FM isnt a political game and shouldnt become one.

 

Would be interested to see if fm18 will have a ban on certain muslim nationals playing in the states....... Bet SI dont touch that one with a barge pole!! 

It would also be much, much more difficult to implement. Right now a player's religion isn't recorded in the database, so the game has absolutely no idea who is or isn't a Muslim - and outside of the major leagues it's probably nigh-on impossible to research too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

It would also be much, much more difficult to implement. Right now a player's religion isn't recorded in the database, so the game has absolutely no idea who is or isn't a Muslim - and outside of the major leagues it's probably nigh-on impossible to research too.

 

It isnt just Muslims that cant come into the states from the countries that are banned, its all nationals from those countries regardless of religion. 

 

I dont actually want to see that ban anywhere near Football Manager. I was using it as a point. The ban is something that has actually happened, where as Brexits effects are still totally unknown. So why have a hypothetical scenario in the game when a real scenario is left out?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2017 at 22:34, rinso said:

Just a thought, but would you be asking the same question if you'd had a soft Brexit? 

 

6 hours ago, stevio11 said:

Yes I would,I never thought it should be in from the start as I am afraid no one at SI has a clue about what will happen until at least 2-3 years time

SO you bought the game, knowing full well it was included, then come on here to complain because you got a hard Brexit, that about right? 

If it bothers you that much that it's included then why buy it?  Or why not disable it in the pre-game editor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure what happens in the vast majority of peoples saves isn't whats going to happen in football, so why even play the game? 

A team might not get that much sponsorship money next year, a team might not sell a player for that much in January. Why is any of it possible if we don't know its going to happen? The "F" is for Football, not Future. If you're expecting a Future Management Sim you need to be looking elsewhere, I wouldn't try a game like Civ though. That game has you mastering space exploration possibly before 2050 and that's not at all realistic. 

It's worth remembering that all games require on your behalf a slight degree of suspension of disbelief. I don't believe that there's a vampire called Kain wandering the earth scorned by events with Raziel. I don't think some of Call of Duty's recent titles have been about wars due to start kicking off any time now. If your justification for something not being in the game is "you don't know that's going to happen" then the whole of the game needs sacking off and it needs to become a game where you wait an actual week, at 2pm or when teams are announced you get that team picked for your side, and then the FM match engine does its best to recreate the game. You just have to make sure you press the spacebar once per day to keep up with the real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only people whose 'playstyles' are 'ruined' by a Hard Brexit are those who hoover up all the young foreign talent to build an unbeatable team within 5 years - Something that doesn't happen in real life, ironically enough. 

If you're managing in England and this happens in your game, remember it's the same for every other team in the league. You just need to adapt, and scout more effectively. And anyway, as has been said, the Brexit feature was heavily advertised at launch, so no-one has any grounds to complain about it at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

We don't need to know if it'll be a success or not. The game doesn't simulate any economic change - there's no possibility for Brexit to harm the British clubs finances, for instance. But the uncertainty over how it will affect football clubs is the whole point, because it's a crucial decision for clubs and managers to make. If in real life right now a Premier League manager bought in a lot of EU players on the cheap to try and avoid relegation, it would come with the risk of backfiring quite badly if squad restrictions etc were eventually imposed. Meanwhile, a manager who focuses on British youth might be massively rewarded if they are suddenly extremely valuable and growing as players while the competing squads weaken. The uncertainty itself, not just the final outcome, has a real effect on decisions right now, right from the start of the game, and that's why its inclusion makes sense.

I can see your point, but decent British youngsters are valuable right now anyway, and have been for years. It's looking likely anyone who already works in this country would be allowed to stay so if I was in a relegation battle and went out and signed a ton of Eastern Europeans and we stayed up the chances are I would get to keep them, and then just put a load of youth players as registered players to get round restriction problems, as can be done to get round European competition restrictions  -  if restrictions were even applied, which they might not be as that is an FA area, not the government.

 

10 hours ago, santy001 said:

I'm pretty sure what happens in the vast majority of peoples saves isn't whats going to happen in football, so why even play the game? 

A team might not get that much sponsorship money next year, a team might not sell a player for that much in January. Why is any of it possible if we don't know its going to happen? The "F" is for Football, not Future. If you're expecting a Future Management Sim you need to be looking elsewhere, I wouldn't try a game like Civ though. That game has you mastering space exploration possibly before 2050 and that's not at all realistic. 

It's worth remembering that all games require on your behalf a slight degree of suspension of disbelief. I don't believe that there's a vampire called Kain wandering the earth scorned by events with Raziel. I don't think some of Call of Duty's recent titles have been about wars due to start kicking off any time now. If your justification for something not being in the game is "you don't know that's going to happen" then the whole of the game needs sacking off and it needs to become a game where you wait an actual week, at 2pm or when teams are announced you get that team picked for your side, and then the FM match engine does its best to recreate the game. You just have to make sure you press the spacebar once per day to keep up with the real world.

Apples and oranges mate. FM is meant to be a realistic simulation of football, not a fantasy game. Yes, it deviates from real life as soon as you press space bar, but it is still grounded by real life rules. At the moment, brexit hasn't happened and as such there are no real life rules or laws or guidelines or anything for the game to be based on. When the game was released it was possible (but unlikely) Brexit may not happen - is that an option in game (I genuinely have no idea). 

As I said, Le Pen could get in, in France - so should a Frexit be included?

 

 

11 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

It would also be much, much more difficult to implement. Right now a player's religion isn't recorded in the database, so the game has absolutely no idea who is or isn't a Muslim - and outside of the major leagues it's probably nigh-on impossible to research too.

That's alright because the game does record nationality, which is what the ban is banning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HemHat said:

I don't think it should be in, simply because we don't know what is going to happen yet. Sniping from @Nonlondoner aside, wether Brexit is a success or failure won't be able to be properly judged until at least a few years after we've left - which hasn't happened yet.

Once it's been settled in real life, I agree it should be in. While we're still deciding to leave, and what leaving will look like, it should be out.  Seeing as the French election is soon and Le Pen has a chance of winning, if she does will France have a Frexit(?) in FM18?

I feel it was only included because it's a decent marketing point for a game that otherwise had very few. This is 100% not a dig at SI, but without Brexit it would have been: 'We've updated the squads, changed some being the scenes stuff and added in two new staff roles that don't have any key attributes'. Slightly more of a difficult sell than including Brexit - something we're still talking about now.

Spot on HemHat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HemHat Not so much apples and oranges, as rather picking and choosing what you feel would suit your views best. Anything is "apples and oranges" if you wish to be picky enough about it "oh you did this 10 minutes ago? apples and oranges mate cos its 10 minutes later now" 

Your mentioning of should a "Frexit" be included is the perfect example in fact, its apples and oranges, you can't compare it. If Brexit had been included in FM10 (which is the same stage point at what you're describing) then it would be somewhat comparable. 

But FM absolutely needs to include more of the uncertainty of the world in its game, FM absolutely needs to reflect how the wider world impacts upon the game without distastefully doing so. This is in fact a requirement on almost all games, precious few can escape the need to become ever more encompassing in scope and scale. Brexit in FM has been a brave step towards that. 

There really is no reason to criticise SI for implementing it though (or at least, there's far more you can find to criticise more than the Brexit implementation), far less holds up to scrutiny than Brexit. CA and PA are not real things. There is no real rating for tackling out of 20. If you cannot fathom Brexit being an acceptable inclusion in the game, then you pretty much cannot accept the game on the whole surely? As I said before, its a game, it requires you to suspend your disbelief that all these "unrealistic" things happen to enjoy it. 

Saying "I dislike the experience Brexit has on my game" is perfectly valid but it lacks anything substantive, if you can explain what impacts it has that you don't enjoy it actually becomes very useful feedback to SI. When you try and impose some hackneyed qualia that is little more than a vague "Me no likey" under the guise of "realistic" it means nothing and has no bearing, it doesn't change anything, it doesn't help anyone involved develop a better game and gaming experience. 

That actually covers feedback on both sides of the spectrum, feedback to the effect of "FM makes me super happy and feel warm inside" does nothing either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, santy001 said:

But FM absolutely needs to include more of the uncertainty of the world in its game, FM absolutely needs to reflect how the wider world impacts

The trouble is ... the possibilities of what might happen in the world & world of football are endless.

Van Basten suggested getting rid of the offside rule.. should FM have a trigger set where this may occur?

There's been talk of a super league being formed for almost a decade now, should that happen in some peoples saves?

Video refs is almost a certainty for some point in the future,.. the question seems to be when not if... but FM haven't built that in.

World events that would impact on football - volcanoes in Iceland set to go off soon, this will definitely happen and the ash cloud will either disrupt all flights in Europe or flights in America.

And... an evil galactic emperor will build yet another death star approximately every 2 years... surely one of them will eventually be successful?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I like it and I am happy it's a feature, I do understand why folks might not like it. There should have been an option to switch it off when setting up a new game without having to use the editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking for myself, I like the introduction of Brexit. I even think it would be weird if it wasn't in there.

I remember playing FM16 during the referendum and after the results feeling that my save didn't feel quite so authentic any more as it no longer reflected a future scenario I thought was 'realistic' (in the sense that any future where I am a reputable football manager is realistic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The only people whose 'playstyles' are 'ruined' by a Hard Brexit are those who hoover up all the young foreign talent to build an unbeatable team within 5 years - Something that doesn't happen in real life, ironically enough. 

If you're managing in England and this happens in your game, remember it's the same for every other team in the league. You just need to adapt, and scout more effectively. And anyway, as has been said, the Brexit feature was heavily advertised at launch, so no-one has any grounds to complain about it at this point. 

So much wrong with this post. For a start, hard brexit affects lower leagues more than rich top level clubs hunting for talent. Also, not everyone knew about the feature before buying the game, that's a ridiculous assumption. I did not, my friends did not either. We bought it becase we liked the demo where no brexit occurs. For some reason people seem unable to understand it's not about anything being unfair to human vs AI players, or being afraid of challenge. It's about not wanting made up restrictions and rules that do not exist IRL and may never do. It's not really your or anyone else's business to be the judge whether or not it ruined someone's game. We had hard brexit in our lower league online career game and all of us hated it. We didn't rage quit or stopped playing altogether but we hated it and still do so in a way it did ruin our game. Having it optional is the only sensible option. IF it happens IRL, then it can be hardcoded for all I care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@westy8chimp variance in TV deals, particularly off the back of in game performance of leagues is something that could be looked at, as well as the attempts of leagues like the MLS and the Chinese League to increase their standing in the world. Those are the kinds of things that will happen, peaks and troughs in the world of football and leagues that enjoy growth and decline. 

The issues up for debate by the IFAB who actually shape the rules would be a reasonable place to look for some future inspiration. They are discussing video refs, and I imagine that one could be a bit easier because there is a degree of margin of error with ref judgements in FM. Pure speculation, but the introduction of video refs would mean that margin of error could be tweaked. 

It can be trivialised to made to sound daft, but so can anything be trivialised. Volcanic interruptions not really that frequent are they, and it has the huge potential to wander into distasteful territory if there were an eruption somewhere that killed a lot of people. FM tends to (for very good reason in todays society) avoid issues that could have negative consequences in the future. 

It benefits us all if there is more in the game to engage with, within the confines of what matters and impacts upon being a football manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand your points...  some of the pro brexit feature arguments are entirely valid.

It was a big brave step - and kind of interesting. 

Then I look at a reply like Maystor and it is also very reasonable (and mirrors my own dissatisfaction of when I got hard brexit in my Crewe save).

Agree with these statements 100%;

22 minutes ago, Maystor said:

hard brexit affects lower leagues more than rich top level clubs hunting for talent

22 minutes ago, Maystor said:

For some reason people seem unable to understand it's not about anything being unfair to human vs AI players, or being afraid of challenge. It's about not wanting made up restrictions and rules that do not exist IRL

And, if true (I didn't play the demo) this is also a very valid point.

22 minutes ago, Maystor said:

We bought it becase we liked the demo where no brexit occurs.

For me, to include something on the basis it might happen... just highlights all the things that they haven't included. My list, without the death star/volcano, is an example of this.  

The line is easy to draw if you say "we only include real life rules" if you start a grey area of "this is currently the buzz topic and may seriously affect football..." then it's really hard to start understanding what should or shouldn't happen in FM.

Think of it as ... imagine they didn't put it in, and on day of release someone starts a topic  "we should have a Brexit feature which affects everybody's save and is pot luck if you get a soft Brexit or hard Brexit because in a few years time we might actually see it happen"

The responses would have been brutal - "this is football manager not politics might affect football manager!!" ... "why would it be in if it hasn't even happened, stupid idea!"

 

Edited by westy8chimp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Think of it as ... imagine they didn't put it in, and on day of release someone starts a topic  "we should have a Brexit feature which affects everybody's save and is pot luck if you get a soft Brexit or hard Brexit because in a few years time we might actually see it happen"

The responses would have been brutal - "this is football manager not politics might affect football manager!!" ... "why would it be in if it hasn't even happened, stupid idea!"

 

Wouldn't even have bothered midtable on the list of really stupid ideas members of the community have come up with.

Edited by forameuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, santy001 said:

@HemHat Not so much apples and oranges, as rather picking and choosing what you feel would suit your views best. Anything is "apples and oranges" if you wish to be picky enough about it "oh you did this 10 minutes ago? apples and oranges mate cos its 10 minutes later now" 

Your mentioning of should a "Frexit" be included is the perfect example in fact, its apples and oranges, you can't compare it. If Brexit had been included in FM10 (which is the same stage point at what you're describing) then it would be somewhat comparable. 

But FM absolutely needs to include more of the uncertainty of the world in its game, FM absolutely needs to reflect how the wider world impacts upon the game without distastefully doing so. This is in fact a requirement on almost all games, precious few can escape the need to become ever more encompassing in scope and scale. Brexit in FM has been a brave step towards that. 

There really is no reason to criticise SI for implementing it though (or at least, there's far more you can find to criticise more than the Brexit implementation), far less holds up to scrutiny than Brexit. CA and PA are not real things. There is no real rating for tackling out of 20. If you cannot fathom Brexit being an acceptable inclusion in the game, then you pretty much cannot accept the game on the whole surely? As I said before, its a game, it requires you to suspend your disbelief that all these "unrealistic" things happen to enjoy it. 

Saying "I dislike the experience Brexit has on my game" is perfectly valid but it lacks anything substantive, if you can explain what impacts it has that you don't enjoy it actually becomes very useful feedback to SI. When you try and impose some hackneyed qualia that is little more than a vague "Me no likey" under the guise of "realistic" it means nothing and has no bearing, it doesn't change anything, it doesn't help anyone involved develop a better game and gaming experience. 

That actually covers feedback on both sides of the spectrum, feedback to the effect of "FM makes me super happy and feel warm inside" does nothing either. 

Mostly what Maystor said. 

Your first paragraph is just laughable. You specifically mentioned fantasy games and CoD. CoD has never claimed to be a war sim (afaik). I understand that it is a game, therefore not reality, and unrealistic things may happen, but FM cannot be compared to a fantasy game in this sense.

When FM10 came out I couldn't give a shiny wet one about politics, so I don't recall Brexit being a big thing then, but Le Pen has made a big thing of leaving the EU, so if she gets in it's likely to happen, no? Therefore perhaps the game should include it.

FM should stick to the rules and laws currently in place if it wants to be a sim.

Nothing I've read on this thread so far has convinced me it's not just a marketing gimmick. I haven't had a save far long enough to have Brexit yet - my issue is just that the game should not be able to guess at what a law might be in ten years time, otherwise, as has been said, let's include volcanoes erupting, other countries leaving the EU and maybe a world war that means you have to synch your game to CoD and keep your team alive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HemHat said:

means you have to synch your game to CoD and keep your team alive

id play this :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could have done with a bit more warning about what is coming, like say in 2018 you get a message saying "The UK will leave the EU next year and the likely scenario is..." better than suddenly getting a message saying its already happened you must adapt immediately. That or I just missed the warning messages lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HemHat said:

I can see your point, but decent British youngsters are valuable right now anyway, and have been for years. It's looking likely anyone who already works in this country would be allowed to stay so if I was in a relegation battle and went out and signed a ton of Eastern Europeans and we stayed up the chances are I would get to keep them, and then just put a load of youth players as registered players to get round restriction problems, as can be done to get round European competition restrictions  -  if restrictions were even applied, which they might not be as that is an FA area, not the government.

 

Apples and oranges mate. FM is meant to be a realistic simulation of football, not a fantasy game. Yes, it deviates from real life as soon as you press space bar, but it is still grounded by real life rules. At the moment, brexit hasn't happened and as such there are no real life rules or laws or guidelines or anything for the game to be based on. When the game was released it was possible (but unlikely) Brexit may not happen - is that an option in game (I genuinely have no idea). 

As I said, Le Pen could get in, in France - so should a Frexit be included?

 

 

That's alright because the game does record nationality, which is what the ban is banning.

And you can do exactly that in the game. But just like in real life, it comes with the risk that there might be harsher squad restrictions which would severely limit who you could select, or that those players wouldn't be able to stay past the end of their contracts and you'd have to re-build your squad using mainly British players in quite a short space of time. Those are factors I'd consider right from the start of the game. If, for instance, I had the chance to buy a very talented youngster from a European nation unlikely to be in the top 50, I'd have second thoughts about whether it was worth it - and I'd also be inclined to keep him in England if I did sign him rather than loan him abroad or sign him on a future transfer so that he could more quickly attain British citizenship. What I'm saying is that while Brexit's obviously a future event, that event isn't like a volcanic eruption or whatever - it's known now and it already has an impact on decisions, with those who prepare for all scenarios more likely to be successful down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely IRL-football there will be tweaks to come around Brexit. Premier League is the worlds biggest league and i am sure IRL it will continue to be tweaked to further being the biggest league. This summer saw hords of players coming into the Premier League and i am sure that will be the case even more the coming years. The league is considered the best in the world just because of the foreign talented infux of players coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FootballTrainer said:

Surely IRL-football there will be tweaks to come around Brexit. Premier League is the worlds biggest league and i am sure IRL it will continue to be tweaked to further being the biggest league. This summer saw hords of players coming into the Premier League and i am sure that will be the case even more the coming years. The league is considered the best in the world just because of the foreign talented infux of players coming in.

Notably though, the Premier League don't get to decide work permit rules - the Football Association do. And they may well be more concerned with increasing playing time for English talent to aid the national team than in protection the riches of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FootballTrainer said:

The league is considered the best in the world just because of the foreign talented infux of players coming in.

And yet it's nowhere near the best in the world because very few of the really top talent play in it. Think of the top 10 players in the world today. How many play in the EPL? Aguero maybe? Hazard at a push, but that's it. And both of them are likely to be playing in La Liga next season. 

Maybe not the most representative example of the league in general, but I've got a season ticket for the Stadium of Light, and the Union Berlin game I was at the other week was more entertaining, as well as technically better than any Sunderland game I've seen this season, and that's the German 2nd tier. 

What the EPL is, is the most overhyped league in the world. It's not even the richest anymore, China's sewn that title up now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a touchy subject we have going here, as was likely expected bu the guys at the top who decided to add this feature. There is little doubt this "feature" would cause much controversy.

A few things for the masses to absorb here;

1. You can fix brexit either with the pregame editor as mentioned or if you got stuck with it and wish to undo it, there is a very easy fix with FMRTE that can change it back for you in the middle of your save.

2. It should have been optional, but I feel a lot of things in this game should be optional, the games lack of customization is one of the biggest knocks I have on it, but that is another topic, so I digress.

3. The PL is not the best league at all, just the most popular, know the difference.

That's all from me. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to add to all this is that Brexit will take years to finalize.

 

Does this mean we are going to have this lottery of soft or hard brexit every new FM release until it actually happens and then we realize the fake rules put in place by SI are completely wrong?

 

And any other EU country that decides to leave will go through the same process, so are we going to have 10 years of FM guessing the rules of the EU nations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hairycull said:

Another thing to add to all this is that Brexit will take years to finalize.

 

Does this mean we are going to have this lottery of soft or hard brexit every new FM release until it actually happens and then we realize the fake rules put in place by SI are completely wrong?

 

And any other EU country that decides to leave will go through the same process, so are we going to have 10 years of FM guessing the rules of the EU nations?

No, because, as has been mentioned several times, it can be disabled. I wasn't aware it could be edited, but i know you can get rid of it before starting a save. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...