After 10 years with FM, my first career update

trman73

Fantastic to see you back in club management.

First things first, "and Celtic has won 17 straight Scottish titles" make sure to smash these b*stards then. 17 in a row? Pure travesty that it. They've managed 7 in a row at the moment on my save right now but currently my Aberdeen team sit top over Rangers by 2 points. Celtic are 3rd 8 points behind me.

Secondly, I agree with those who said they prefer it the further the game moves along and real players become obsolete. If you don't then your save only has a ten year shelf life and who plays like that? Weird.

Thirdly, which I think ties into number 2, you don't seem to have much youth in your ranks trman73. Personally I like to have my starting 11 and then a mix between younger players coming through who I'm training up and need game time & older players possibly seeing out their contracts if they've been with us a while. But my squads generally have the average age of 23/24 and once a player hits 28/29 they're off.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

September 16, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (2-1-0, 7 pts., 3rd) vs. Sampdoria (0-3-0, 3 pts., 13th)

Sampdoria's drawn all three of its matches to open the season. After flip-flopping from Serie A to Serie B for six consecutive seasons, they finally were able to stay up a year ago, finishing five points clear of relegation. Still, we should beat this team, and I continue to play some reserves along with starters for this one. Pietro D'Onofrio has scored in the first five minutes of three of our first four matches thus far, and we have spent a grand total of zero seconds trailing our opponents this season.

In training this week our starting attacking midfielder, Dani Ceballos, is injured, so Davidson Costa will start for the next three weeks' worth of matches. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Man oh man it happens again. Just after the clock hits the five minute mark, Daniel Peranzoni, starting in midfield to give a starter a rest, finds D'Onofrio in the box and he puts one past the keeper for yet another early lead. D'Onofrio has been an absolute machine for us here in the early going. 

In this match, though, it's the only goal of the game. We completely frustrate Sampdoria throughout the match, and other than one brilliant save on a corner kick in the first half, Valdes has to do very little for the clean sheet. It's a 1-0 win; not exciting, but effective, and we now have a midweek match with one of Serie A's weakest teams coming up.

595acf4085d50_ScreenShot2017-07-03at6_10_33PM.thumb.png.4dbe006d446f51934ae92bd5e8b94ed3.png

Hey metal, got a thing against Celtic do ya?!! :eek:

I'm petty surprised at the lack of young talent on the club. One of the things I plan to do during the winter window, when my scouts have completed their assignments, is seek out some 17-19-year-olds and restock the farm. This is what we've got right now...

595acfc242b41_ScreenShot2017-07-03at6_13_50PM.thumb.png.37ce14e9a517fe5f87485b6d73fef08f.png595acfc496407_ScreenShot2017-07-03at6_13_58PM.thumb.png.071300b268bfa408495a3604932d3871.png

Not that impressive.

September 20, 2028 - Serie A: Entella (0-2-2, 2 pts., 20th) vs. Juventus (3-1-0, 10 pts., 2nd)

Only AC Milan is off to a better start than we are, as they have won each of their first four contests. At the other end of the spectrum is Entella. It's actually a miracle that they are in Serie A at all. Due to some weird rules, last year in Serie B there was a rare six-team playoff to see who got the third promotion spot. Entella finished 7th in the league, made the playoff, and won it, beating three teams to win promotion. They face an incredible task to stay up, but it's nice that they made it instead of the usual suspects who get promoted and relegated on an annual basis.

With that being said, come on, we should have no trouble at all with these guys. I make a few lineup switches for this one, and think about resting D'Onofrio, but he's been such a good-luck charm for us with his early goals I keep him in the lineup, choosing to rest Eboko instead.

The match of the week this week sees AC Milan visit Inter, so if they falter and we take care of business here, we are right where we belong... first place.

I hate to report this, but D'Onofrio does not get us off to a quick start with a goal in this one. Instead, he takes a pass, makes a move into the box, and lays one back to Davidson Costa, who scores in the 7th minute to put us up. But... less than a minute later Entella scores after a mistake in the defensive end by Carlsson, and just like that it's 1-1 less than 10 minutes in. We get the lead back in the 16th when Di Benedetto scores off a corner. Entella is playing really aggressively, and in the 35th they have a man sent off.

We hold the 2-1 lead at the half, and 35 seconds into the second, Humberto Ramirez fires one in to make it 3-1. There's no way these guys are coming back from two down, so we bring in some subs who have yet to play this year, and complete the 3-1 win.

595ae2233fcd3_ScreenShot2017-07-03at7_32_22PM.thumb.png.ebea33c483cf1631194d9db096a5bcd8.png

I want to take a moment to note that when I started this career, I said I'd give myself 25 years. I am just two months shy of 12 and a half years for the career, which would be the halfway point. But my last match was also my 300th as a manager, so this is probably a good time to assess my performance at what is essentially the halfway point of my career.

I've had six jobs thus far...

Santiago Wanderers (Chilean First Division) - May 25, 2016 through January 2, 2018 (1 year, 222 days)

• Overall Record: 30-14-19 (47% winning percentage)
  • 2016 Chile Cup Champions
  • 2017 Chile Super Cup Champions
  • Resigned to go to Italy

This was a good first test for me, and while I can't say I aced it, I was able to turn a good performance here into a career in Europe. Grade: B+

Genoa (Serie A) - January 2, 2018 through February 2, 2019 (1 year, 31 days)

• Overall Record: 14-5-10 (46% winning percentage)
  • No trophies
  • Fired

I was perhaps in over my head in my first major job. I started decently, but then went on a terrible run, got caught up in a board takeover, and was justifiably fired. Grade: C-

Roma (Serie A) - March 2, 2020 through July 31, 2022 (2 years, 131 days)

• Overall Record: 60-30-22 (53% winning percentage)
  • Two full seasons, two European qualifications
  • 2022 second-place Serie A finish
  • 2022 Euro Cup Champions
  • Left to coach Italy

I took more than a year off before (controversially) accepting this job. It was easily my best club experience. I took a team that was struggling, brought in new blood, and culminated my tenure with a Euro Cup title. All the good that has happened since then was the result of my time here. Grade: A-

Italian National Team - July 31, 2022 through July 19, 2026 (3 years, 352 days)

• Overall Record: 36-6-7 (73% winning percentage)
  • Euro 2024 Quarter-Finalist (lost to Portugal)
  • 2026 World Cup Champions
  • Left following World Cup

Winning the 2026 World Cup was my greatest achievement in 10 years of playing Football Manager. Grade: A+

Spanish National Team - July 19, 2026 through July 8, 2028 (1 year, 355 days)

• Overall Record: 14-1-8
  • Euro 2028 Quarter-Finalist (lost to Wales)
  • Left following Euro 2028

A nightmare from beginning to end. Grade: D

Juventus (Serie A) - July 8, 2028 to Present (77 days)

• Overall Record: 6-1-0 (85% winning percentage)
  • 2028 Italian Super Cup Champions

Too early to assess. Grade: Incomplete

Overall:

Here's my "card:"

595b1cd792f03_TMHistory.thumb.png.d9f0e01a8372623fe6a6921eba0e1760.png

In my club career I've gone 114-52-62, good for exactly a 50% winning percentage. I went 50-7-15 as an international manager. I've won a continental cup and, of course, the World Cup. Right now I'd have to be considered one of the top managers in the world, secure in a job with a major club and with trophies at four of my six stops. I'm going to say I've played maybe 20 careers in FM. This is one of my top three thus far, and I've got plenty of time to collect a league title and a Champions League title. Overall Grade: A-

Just for fun, here are my five favorite players of my career thus far:

1. Fernando Bernardeschi - Bernardeschi retired following last season. He helped me win the Euro Cup with Roma and was the 2026 World Cup Best Player. He also won two Serie A titles and the European Championship with Italy in 2020. He was an absolute stud for me in every way. Won four individual awards and nine trophies overall.
  2. Mohamed Salah - His career took off once I joined Roma. He thrived in my formation and was an absolutely deadly scorer, going stretches where he was absolutely unstoppable. Now serving as a scout.
  3. Davide Calabria - The best player I have bought thus far. Still a mainstay on Roma's defense nine years after I brought him in during my first summer with Roma. Has started 32+ games for Roma every year in league play, with a 7.00+ rating each year. And was on my World Cup-winning Italy team.
  4. Daniele Rugani - Was the best defensive player on the Italy World Cup team.
  5. Pietro D'Onofrio - The best player I groomed on the Italy squad. Was vital for us in the World Cup run, and is now my best player at Juventus.

Well, on to the second half of my career!

Edited by trman73

September 23, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (4-1-0, 13 pts., 1st) vs. Atalanta (2-2-1, 8 pts., 7th)

Inter helped us out during the week by beating AC Milan, and we're atop the table for the first time this year. Now we've got to stay there. Atalanta has improved since I last coached in the league, but we should be fine against them. We've got our first road match of Champions League coming up midweek against FCP, so I am continuing to mix and match lineups, which ihas been working well thus far and speaks to what you can do with a team that has the payroll to afford good depth.

It looks like Atalanta is going to be the first team to hold us scoreless in the first half, and we're not playing well. But in the 39th minute, a good bit of passing leads to a cross from Carlsson that finds D'Onofrio, and he opens the scoring yet again to give us a 1-0 lead that holds up till the half.

Atalanta comes out aggressively in the second half, and I have a feeling that they are going to score to tie it. But that goal never comes. Our 1-0 lead holds up as Valdes makes a save in the closing moments to clinch it, and we maintain our league lead with the win.

595b2fc2101ee_ScreenShot2017-07-04at1_02_17AM.thumb.png.f810bd076e6da2fae1417547228dbeea.png

September 26, 2028 - European Champions Cup, Group F, Match 2: FCP (0-1-0, 1 pt., 2nd) vs. Juventus (1-0-0, 3 pts., 1st)

We're without a key player for this one, as our best center defender, Lucas Bedoya, is out with a chest injury, although it will only cost him this match. This is a big one, as FCP played to a scoreless draw with Celtic in the opener and with a win here we have a firm grip on the group. For some reason I don't feel good about this match. We've been dominant at times in my first eight matches, but with just the three-day turnaround and with some quality guys missing, I'm not sure here.

FCP becomes the first team to hold us scoreless through the first 45, and it's 0-0 at the break. In the 62nd they get called for a foul that is dangerously close to a penalty, and Capezzi takes the free kick right outside the box. He scores, and we're up, 1-0. FCP never really mounts a serious challenge from there. We win, 1-0, our third clean sheet in the last four matches. Celtic and Leverkusen draw, 1-1, and the opening two matches of Champions League could not have gone any better for us, as we already have a four-point lead in the group with back-to-back matches with Celtic coming up.

595b3d48073e9_ScreenShot2017-07-04at1_59_29AM.thumb.png.b0750184a89918fe2f8756c5ae06b13b.png595b3d4a8da79_ScreenShot2017-07-04at2_01_09AM.thumb.png.9cc8436401f3d232b4849396aebe8300.png

Starting well with Juva buddy and in terms of your halfway point I'd say you're having a very successful career.

Looking at your young uns I'd definitely be using Bashliev & Burcul having them on the bench and giving them game time.

I'd also use Iglesias or Bernardi as my back up & blood them through until a better regen came through my academy but I'm a total mark for youth and hate spending money. I'm very much an Arsene Wenger in that respect lol. While we are on the subject of my game style I also tend to try to create a squad on whatever country I'm playing in as I like to see a team of home grown stars take on the rest of my continent.

And yes, as a Ger I can't stand Celtic & you saying they have 17 in a row is truly horrifying to me. When Celtic get 10 in a row or more on my recent FM games I hate it almost as much as seeing England win a major tournament lol.

October 1, 2028 - Serie A: Brescia (1-5-0, 8 pts., 10th) vs. Juventus (5-1-0, 16 pts., 1st)

Sampdoria does us a huge favor the day before our match by knocking off AC Milan, so with a win here we create some distance between us and second place. We may need that help, as we are without two players, right back Albin Carlsson and center midfielder Capezzi, due to yellow cards, and Carlsson's backup, Ruud Postma, gets hurt in training. Add in Ayala and Ceballos, and that's four starters out.

Brescia is one of just three teams (along with us and Inter) that have yet to lose this year, but they also have only won once and have a weird 1-5-0 record. They're one of those teams that have bounced from Serie A to Serie B throughout this career, going up and down seven times in 12 years. They've been a good defensive team thus far and have allowed just seven goals in their six matches.

We get a goal from the most unlikeliest of sources to start the scoring, as third-string right back Vicenzo Laurenti scores on a corner kick to make it 1-0. In the second half, Brescia gets it back with a goal in the 58th, but we're dominating and I'm not too worried. I am worried, however, when Brescia scores to take a 2-1 lead in the 67th, giving us our first deficit in my 10 games as manager. Incredibly, we can't pull even. In a match where we dominate possession and are clearly the better side, I suffer my first defeat as Juventus boss, a 2-1 loss to a team that was promoted a year ago.

We now get a two-week break, and we need it.

595c0983b0570_ScreenShot2017-07-04at4_30_56PM.thumb.png.c6a9deab1e574d94f0d4dce563971645.png

October 14, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (5-1-1, 16 pts., 1st) vs. Udinese (1-2-3, 5 pts., 17th)

Technically we're still in first place despite our loss to Brescia, although Inter is two points behind us and has played one fewer match. We've got a midweek match with Celtic that could really put us in great position in our Champions League group, but I want to get back on track in Serie A here, so the starters are all in place for this one. We are now completely healthy, and Alejandro Ayala is in his starting spot at forward, so I am excited to see what he gives us. We've scored a single goal in four of our last five matches. We need to get it together offensively here.

Our days of one-goal games come to an end in the first half, as we take a 2-0 lead at the break thanks to Ayala's first of the year and then a goal from defender Lucas Bedoya on a corner kick. A flash comes right before halftime showing that Inter is down 2-0 to Sassuolo, so this is looking like a good day. Super-sub Humberto Ramirez adds one in the 77th to make it 3-0, and that's the final. It's a good rebound for us, although Inter does come back to win its match.

595c557c3b119_ScreenShot2017-07-04at9_56_32PM.thumb.png.b2fb95273b86f4b19ead48e4b2dd54bd.png

Edited by trman73

October 17, 2028 - European Champions Cup, Group F, Match 3: Celtic (0-2-0, 2 pts., 2nd) vs. Juventus (2-0-0, 6 pts., 1st)

Okay metallimuse, here's what it looks like...

595c59805cd05_ScreenShot2017-07-04at12_49_55PM.thumb.png.b73273b0783b83a0cbb8e861b67f336b.png

I will beat this team for you. :cool:

Uhhhh... or not.

After a scoreless first half, Celtic gets on the board with a goal in the 76th, then another three minutes later. We score in the 83rd on a goal by Humberto Ramirez, and mount a furious rush in the final five minutes, but fall, 2-1. Sorry bud.

Ugh.

595c6464d6044_ScreenShot2017-07-04at10_59_52PM.thumb.png.9aaf050e2ed6778e0eb3e779e5feddaa.png595c646722609_ScreenShot2017-07-04at11_00_21PM.thumb.png.88117df25ddacdbe40fbaa45b0d4af8a.png

October 21, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (6-1-1, 19 pts., 1st) vs. Genoa (5-2-1, 17 pts., 4th)

We've lost two of our last three overall, and need to rebound from the Celtic loss against my former club, Genoa, which is playing very well here in the first quarter of the season. I'm going to give Humberto Ramirez the start at forward in this one, as he's earned increased playing time. This is a battle of the two best defensive teams in the league thus far, as we've allowed just six goals, and Genoa seven.

We play yet another scoreless first half, and this one has 0-0 written all over it. But Genoa scores in the 76th to take the lead, and we hit the crossbar twice in the final 10 minutes but don't score. The 1-0 loss is going to drop us down the table, and we've lost three of four. At Juventus, that's a crisis, and I need to get it together.

595c80bcd91be_ScreenShot2017-07-05at1_01_19AM.thumb.png.304383ca433e10916c4e7c0732083775.png

October 24, 2028 - Serie A: Cagliari (1-1-7, 4 pts., 20th) vs. Juventus (6-1-2, 19 pts., 3rd)

We've got three days to recover and we have some fitness issues, but we should still beat the worst team in the league thus far. We better.

I don't know what's going on with us offensively, but we are really bogging down right outside the box and not getting good opportunities. It's a 0-0 first 45 minutes, and then disaster strikes when Cagliari scores two minutes into the second half to take the lead. But Ramirez scores a minute later to tie it, then he scores again in the 56th to give us the lead. Peranzoni scores in the 77th to make it 3-1, and that's the final. It takes a while, but we finally get our act together, and a quarter of the way through the season we are in second place, a point behind Inter although they have played one fewer match.

595c8d10c103e_ScreenShot2017-07-05at1_49_24AM.thumb.png.280e0def9c767c55995cd52768734444.png595c8d13af1ef_ScreenShot2017-07-05at1_53_37AM.thumb.png.60a44c381e3d8f8cef7e182c1ab251db.png

On 13/03/2017 at 03:31, trman73 said:

Hello all!

Since it looks like the 17.3.1 hotfix will be the last update to FM17, I’m going to embark on my first ever career update. I’m saving this career as “Last Chance FM17” as I’ve experienced some frustration with the last two versions of the game, and if I can’t get it together in this save and have an enjoyable experience, it’ll be back to FM15 for me, or perhaps even an overall break from Football Manager for a while. So I'm hoping that posting my progress here will inject some new excitement into the game for me.

Quick background: I’ve been playing since FM08 and have had dozens of careers, both successful and unsuccessful. As always I’m starting this career with my actual playing/coaching background (which is nothing - 43 y.o. American; no coaching qualifications; Sunday-league player). At age 43 I figure I’ve got a 25-year career ahead of me (assuming I last that long).

My goals are the following:

• Win MLS Cup
  • Get hired by West Ham United
  • Take the Hammers to the Champions League title
  • Coach a national team (preferably the U.S.) in the World Cup
  • Retire a legend :)

Whether any of these things happen will partially depend on my first task: choosing my initial team. I always do this the same way: Using random.org, I start with all 51 playable nations, listed in alphabetical order. I then eliminate each country one by one until I arrive at the country where I will start my career. I then do the same thing with all teams within that country: list them alphabetically and eliminate them one by one until finally I know my starting team. So technically, I have the same odds of starting with Real Madrid as I do with the lowest-ranked team in Hong Kong.

For the record I highly recommend this method for picking a team to start a career. The suspense in each country being eliminated until you get down to the final three or four is legitimately exciting. Same with the teams. I’ve learned so much about teams and leagues by playing in different countries (some of which I had absolutely no interest in) than I ever imagined, and since I was a soccer novice when I started this almost a decade ago, all of my favorite real-life teams (West Ham, Sampdoria, and Watford) are based on my experiences coaching them in FM.

So that’s the setup. Hopefully I’ll have a long and enjoyable career, and this will be an interesting read.

Up next: Nation Selection

Is the elimination process done by you or the PC/tablet? I am curious about this and very much up for trying this. 

I am following this process.....

You lost to Celtic :seagull: 

They seem a beast in your save it has to be said. I'm in season 3 with Aberdeen 6 games away from the end of the season and sit atop of the SPFL 9 points clear of Rangers and Celtic languishing in 4th so one of us is definitely taking the title from them to prevent...8 in a row I think it would have been?

I'm actually undefeated in the league currently but drawn a lot of games. Both the old firm seem to lose a lot though so it's helped me out massively.

Champions League for me next season and by August I should finally have great youth and training facilities. Summer of big decisions though as I have quite a full squad which has required a lot of juggling with players complaining of lack of game time and also I have 6 youth players who have bags of potential that I'd like to start incorporating. 

Still backing you for Serie A but not sure of much success for you in Europe this year.

Hey fridge, I do everything on my MacBook. I have all the countries listed on Word doc (attached) and then have random.org open on the other half of the screen. On the right side of random.org there is a box labeled "True Random Number Generator." Just set that to 51, then whatever number is picked just delete that from the Word doc, reset the number to 50, and so on and so forth. It can be tedious but trust me... as the countries whittle down it's fun.

The chore is doing it for the teams. Unless there's a better way, if I wind up with a country like England or Spain, I actually go in and type in all the teams in alpha order. With England, that's like 150 teams, which sucks... but I only do it once a year.

FM Countries.docx

Metallimuse I was sure I'd beat those guys, and was hoping I had a 3-0 lead or so and could go into attack mode and get you like a 6-0 win. But it was not to be.

October 28, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (7-1-2, 22 pts., 2nd) vs. Napoli (4-3-3, 15 pts., 7th)

I've got a big stretch of games here as we're home against Napoli, then home against Celtic in Champions League, then at AC Milan, then wrap it up at home against my former side, Roma. If we can get results in each of these matches, I'll feel good. We should beat Napoli here, although they are a good club.

We concede first, in the 30th, and it looks like yet another lackluster performance. But we turn it on in the second half and score on a goal from Ramirez in the 53rd. We're attacking well in the second half, but don't break through again, and settle for a 1-1 draw, another subpar result that sees us fall to third in the league.

595da7a2382af_ScreenShot2017-07-05at9_59_21PM.thumb.png.56b2f629a96769fc2eaa278efd10f874.png

November 1 2028 - European Champions Cup, Group F, Match 4:  Juventus (2-0-1, 6 pts., 1st) vs. Celtic (1-2-0, 5 pts., 2nd)

We're in a bad way right now and need to defeat Celtic to put ourselves back in a dominant position in this group. There's not much else to say in the buildup to this one.

Well we get our revenge on these guys in a dominant defensive performance. We get a goal from Eboko in the first and another one from him in the second, and Celtic does not get a shot on target in 90 minutes. Barring an absolute collapse we are through to the knockout phase of Champions League.

595db3e97bcbb_ScreenShot2017-07-05at10_51_13PM.thumb.png.7213c4be1b8b2fee9ebd66bf7f3e53b8.png595db405af59d_ScreenShot2017-07-05at10_52_23PM.thumb.png.1a0f820ddd3d65bc08a1be695d4ddb15.png

Edited by trman73

November 5, 2028 - Serie A: AC Milan (7-0-4, 21 pts., 4th) vs. Juventus (7-2-2, 23 pts., 2nd)

Things don't get any easier as we're on a short turnaround and facing a good Milan team. I need to make some subs to bring in fresh legs, as we really need a win here.

After a scoreless first half that sees Eboko exit with a gashed head, D'Onofrio scores for the first time in nine matches to give us the lead in the 49th. We're dominating play, and although Milan ties it in the 57th, I have a good feeling. Sure enough, Eboko's replacement, Ayala, gets the lead back for us on a great pass from our left back in the 81st. We hang on for a crucial road win. We appear to have shaken off our malaise a bit, as that's 3-1-0 in our last four after losing three of the previous four.

We're now off for two weeks with international play going on, and when we come back we host... my former club, Roma.

595dd130a9fc8_ScreenShot2017-07-06at12_50_33AM.thumb.png.89bc5ed1d20fc94a831480f26b09afe8.png

Edited by trman73

4 hours ago, trman73 said:

Hey fridge, I do everything on my MacBook. I have all the countries listed on Word doc (attached) and then have random.org open on the other half of the screen. On the right side of random.org there is a box labeled "True Random Number Generator." Just set that to 51, then whatever number is picked just delete that from the Word doc, reset the number to 50, and so on and so forth. It can be tedious but trust me... as the countries whittle down it's fun.

The chore is doing it for the teams. Unless there's a better way, if I wind up with a country like England or Spain, I actually go in and type in all the teams in alpha order. With England, that's like 150 teams, which sucks... but I only do it once a year.

FM Countries.docx

I'm positive this can be done with an excel spreadsheet that would do it all for you. Im just too lazy to try and work it out. But sure an excel wiz could get it setup pretty quickly.

November 18, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (8-2-2, 26 pts., 2nd) vs. Roma (4-5-3, 17 pts., 9th)

I've had this one circled on the calendar since I took over Juventus. It doesn't seem like that long in real time, but it's actually been more than six years since I left Roma. There are only four players left from my tenure: keeper Geronimo Rulli is still starting, as is right back Davide Calabria. Left back Antonio Barreca is 33 years old and just transitioned to a reserve role this year in what's been a fabulous 11-year career with Roma, and Robert Migliorini was a youngster when I was around and has moved into the rotation as a right midfielder.

Roma won Serie A the year after I left, but since then it's gone gradually downhill for them, as they fell to second the next year, then fourth, and have had fifth-place finishes each of the last three seasons. They got to the Champions Cup quarters in 2025, but other than that have not made it past the first knockout round of either Champions League or Europa League. And this year, they're struggling in 9th, although they lead the league in goals scored. I think it will be a bigger deal when we travel to Roma later in the season, but it will still be weird seeing the red jerseys and knowing that's my opponent out there.

We emerge from international duty with one injury, to Davidson Costa, who will miss a couple weeks. And we've got some fatigued players, but we're ready to go. With a win here and then a win in Germany Wednesday that would clinch Group F for us in Champions League, this could be a good week.

I miss the days when we'd establish control with an early score, and we play yet another scoreless half. The game heads to the 62nd and I sub out D'Onofrio for Ramirez, and he immediately impacts the game, hitting Nikola Andric with a pass in the box for the goal that breaks the scoreless tie. Then in the 70th Melegoni threads a perfect ball to Ceballos, and it's 2-0. Ceballos scores again late, we close out another solid overall performance, and pick up the convincing 3-0 win.

595eca7268add_ScreenShot2017-07-06at6_40_24PM.thumb.png.a06b58f4d36c7df862170b2713b210e5.png

I played two matches last night but our internet was out, so I'll just quickly write that I played Leverkusen in the next match of Champions League, scored first, then conceded right at the end of the game for the 1-1 draw. Regardless of that, we officially clinched a spot in the knockout stage, and will play FCP in our next match to see who wins the group.

Then we played an absolutely maddening Serie A match that we lost to Verona on the road, 1-0. Our inconsistency on offense is really bugging me, and part of me wishes I'd just gone ahead and installed my 4-2-4 formation and taken my chances.

596004b880636_ScreenShot2017-07-07at5_01_09PM.thumb.png.bb3c7a0fd410a662a97bd2caa1e0109d.png596004b61cb47_ScreenShot2017-07-07at5_01_14PM.thumb.png.899970172356fa2961b07f1a3fedb237.png

December 2, 2028 - Serie A: Cesena (4-5-5, 17 pts., 14th) vs. Juventus (9-2-3, 29 pts., 3rd)

We need to find our offensive groove again as we're not scoring enough goals. We remain the best defensive team in Serie A, giving up just 11 goals in our 13 matches.

We score on an own-goal in the 12th minute that really should have been credited to Antic, which... we'll take whatever scoring we can get in the first half these days. It holds up for the 1-0 lead at halftime, but again we're not attacking well. In the 80th, we get a weird goal that comes on a throw-in which finds Carlsson in the box, and he puts it in for his first of the year to make it 2-0. We cruise from there to a 2-0 win.

5960180e3eff0_ScreenShot2017-07-07at6_21_04PM.thumb.png.2bc8fbd9a8c41d39e60a7d91d3f29ae9.png

Edited by trman73

December 6, 2028: European Champions Cup, Group F, Game 6: Juventus (3-1-1, 10 pts., 1st) vs. FCP (2-2-1, 8 pts., 2nd)

There's no drama in this match in terms of who advances, as both we and FCP are into the next round. The Celtic-Leverkusen match is for placement in Europa League, as Celtic has five points and Leverkusen has two. But our match is for group superiority, so we need to get at least a draw here to win the group and feel good about our chances in the knockout phase. Still, I'm going to bring some reserves into the starting lineup to rest some key players.

Neither team plays the first half with much gusto, and it's 0-0 at the break. At this point I'd take a scoreless draw and an injury-free second 45 minutes. but my guys actually have other ideas. In the 51st D'Onofrio takes a ball down the sidelines and into the right corner, evades a man, and lays a great cross to Eboko for his sixth goal of this competition, and we're up 1-0. I expect FCP to at least put up a fight to try to get back in it, but they don't. Ramirez comes off the bench and adds a goal in the 83rd to clinch it, Sylvain Pierre-Mesniere adds a rare goal off a corner in the final minutes, and we win 3-0 to take Group F. Celtic takes out Leverkusen to advance to the Euro Cup knockout stages.

59603a27e9cab_ScreenShot2017-07-07at8_48_56PM.thumb.png.049d6d36cc6944689625e2db36197b35.png59603a2a73fae_ScreenShot2017-07-07at8_49_12PM.thumb.png.e59881ace00bcf311369abd1122905da.png

December 10, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (10-2-3, 32 pts., 2nd) vs. Fiorentina (4-5-7, 17 pts., 15th)

Fiorentina has really been a mediocre team in this career, which seems weird as in my past careers in Italy they have been a top-five team in the league. They have advanced to Euro Cup four times in this 12-year career, and have never been in Champions League. They're bad again this season, although they're playing their best football of the year right now, having not lost in five matches. But at home we should handle these guys, even on short rest. Inter draws before our match begins, so with a win here we're back at the top of the table, although Inter still has a game in hand.

We quickly take advantage of the opportunity to move back into first, as Albin Carlsson scores in the 4th minute. That's all the scoring we get, and it's all the scoring we need, as we hold Fiorentina to two shots on goal and collect the 1-0 shutout that moves us into first in the league.

5960483274f1c_ScreenShot2017-07-07at9_48_18PM.thumb.png.9b63118cc9c9c3a4c28b8eb70c479cfe.png

December 11, 2028 - European Champions Cup First Knockout Round Draw

Neither Inter nor AC Milan made it out of the group stage of Champions League, so we're the only Italian representative left. Here are our possible opponents for the first knockout round:

• Dortmund
  • Bayern
  • Krasnodar
  • OM
  • BMG
  • FCP
  • Man United
  • Real Madrid

We won't get FCP since they were in our group. Obviously I'd take Krasnodar as my favored opponent. Then maybe BMG or Dortmund. I want to avoid OM (the defending champs), and Manchester United.

OK, here goes...

• Manchester United vs. Olympique Lyonnaise - Glad Man U is out.
  • OM vs. Chelsea - Won't play the defending champs.
  • Krasnodar vs. PSG - The "easiest" second-place team gets the French juggernaut.
  • Bayern vs. Barcelona - This leaves Dortmund, BMG, and Real Madrid as my possibilities.
  • Dortmund vs. Monaco - Rooting for BMG now.
  • BMG vs. Arsenal - We'll get Real Madrid.
  • Real Madrid vs. Juventus
  • FCP vs. Manchester City

Well, Real is Real... six La Liga titles in the last seven years, and in first again this year. They have not done well in Champions League lately though, having been knocked out in the first knockout round three of the last four years. We'll face them on the road on Valentine's Day, then at home three weeks later.

December 16, 2028 - Serie A: Torino (7-5-5, 26 pts., 5th) vs. Juventus (11-2-3, 35 pts., 1st)

Torino's having a good first half, and with a win over us here they can make a real statement. But their goal differential is zero, and they've won just two of their last eight matches, so if we play well here we'll be okay. We are without two key players, as Carlsson and midfielder Leonardo Capezzi are suspended due to cards. We shuffle things around a bit, and head to the pitch. We've gone more than 300 minutes without allowing a goal, and I have a feeling we may need another clean sheet to get the three points today.

Our offense is stifled in the first half until we catch a break in the 40th, when D'Onofrio is fouled in the box. He takes the kick himself, and scores to make it 1-0. Early in the second half, he strikes again, this time on a nice pass from Dani Ceballos, to make it 2-0. We haven't allowed more than one goal in any of our last 11 matches, so I'm feeling good. Sure enough the two goal cushion is plenty, as Valdes and the defense secure their fourth straight clean sheet, and we win pretty easily to remain a point up on Inter.

596059e892fff_ScreenShot2017-07-07at11_04_45PM.thumb.png.97fb550d398d1700b5bba59b3e50697a.png

December 20, 2028 - Serie A: Juventus (12-2-3, 38 pts., 1st) vs. Sassuolo (8-1-8, 25 pts., 13th)

We've got two games until the halfway point of the season, both at home, both winnable, starting with this one against a team that's actually been my Italian nemesis during this career.

We come out on fire in this one and have two great opportunities in the first minute. At the 1:30 mark, Andric gets a pass from Melegoni and scores for the 1-0 lead. We continue to fire shots on goal, and in the 40th Melegoni picks up another assist on a nice pass to Eboko, who makes it 2-0. We keep it up in the second half and Carlsson finds Eboko in the 69th to make it 3-0. We are really playing dominant football right now. The 3-0 win gives us five straight victories, all shutouts. Inter draws its match and we're a full three points up with a much better goal differential, so regardless of whether they win their makeup match, we're in first.

596066e17cebf_ScreenShot2017-07-07at11_59_23PM.thumb.png.ea6dcfe1c184d9acb19a97728de0a11e.png

January 7, 2029 - Serie A: Juventus (13-2-3, 41 pts., 1st) vs. Bologna (5-2-11, 17 pts., 16th)

We finish the first half of our season against a team we should dominate, but I feel like this could be a trap game. We've had almost three weeks off for the holidays, and Bologna has actually won three of its last five.

During the holiday West Ham fires its manager, Gavin Strachan, but the timing just isn't right for me now. One of these times it will be, and I will manage my beloved Hammers. Oh well.

Also during the holiday, we suffer a huge injury blow as central defender Jairo Riedewald suffers a double hernia and will miss 6-8 weeks. He's been fabulous for us and has a 7.20 rating in all competitions. This may change my philosophy heading into the transfer window. I was going to make a minor tweak or two, but now we may need a central defender to replace him.

Inter destroys Udinese, 4-0, in its makeup match, so with each of us playing 18 matches we both have 41 points, we tied head-to-head, and we hold the goal differential lead, +22 to +20. We face them in just a couple weeks in what will be a huge match.

As for this one...

We score in the 12th as Carlsson, who has been a great crosser for us, finds D'Onofrio with one and he puts it in for the lead. Less than 10 minutes later D'Onofrio steals a pass and runs into the box, where he's tackled for the penalty. Capezzi nails it for the 2-0 lead, and we're rolling yet again. But Bologna won't be our sixth straight shutout, as they score in the 43rd to end our run at more than 500 minutes. The game is never really in doubt from there, though, and Alejandro Ayala scores his first goal in what seems like forever to make it 3-1 in the 71st, and we coast from there to the win, with Ceballos finishing off the scoring in the final moments to end it at 4-1. The first half of the season finishes with us right where we belong: at the top of the table.

596081bda77e0_ScreenShot2017-07-08at1_54_37AM.thumb.png.3189fbaab72928d1bf1fe334013cbb88.png

Juventus 2028-2029 Mid-Season Report

Going by our board expectations, we're doing everything that's been asked of us. Still, I am feeling uneasy. We have some players who want to move on to bigger clubs, and I have some decisions to make here in the transfer window. And while we're playing our best football of the year right now, we're still just tied for the league lead with Inter, and have a tough test against Real Madrid in Champions League.

Serie A - Expectation: Win the league; Current Standing: 1st

Here's where things stand in Serie A...

596159680cf63_ScreenShot2017-07-08at5_14_45PM.thumb.png.9083091239f3d2587f88dc6badc6e83d.png5961596b3daf8_ScreenShot2017-07-08at5_14_49PM.thumb.png.e4eb09a8f977d346eef82caf0cd0b230.png

It's hard to complain too much. We are atop the table, we're third in the league in scoring, and are easily the best defensive team thus far. The offensive struggles we had back in October and November seem to be behind us. We've got big matches to kick off the second half of the season against Palermo and Inter, and that Inter match will really set the stage for the final 17 games of the year. Grade: A-

Champions League - Expectation: Reach First Knockout Stage; Current Standing: In First Knockout Stage vs. Real Madrid

I'd say we were solid but not dominant in our matches with Leverkusen, Celtic, and FCP. I set the personal expectation that we'd get past this next round, but I'm not sure that will happen. Grade: B

Italian Cup - Expectation: Not Important; Current Standing: First Round Match vs. Pisa January 18

Not much to say here. We should roll Pisa and then we'd get either Fiorentina or a Serie B team in the next round. I'd like to win this competition but it takes a back seat to Serie A and Champions League, obviously: Grade: Incomplete

Italian Super Cup - Expectation: Not Important; Result: Won vs. Inter

We kicked off the season by adding to our trophy case. Not bad. Grade: A

Overall Grade: A-

First Half Most Valuable Player: DR Albin Carlsson

It's pretty weird to have a right back be the team MVP thus far, but this guy's been a great story. A backup each of the last three years, I gave him a shot in the starting lineup and he's been our most consistent player. The 23-year-old Swede has five Man of the Match awards to lead the league, has made one mistake that led to a goal that I can remember, and has actually scored twice and has five assists. He's also created a number of corner opportunities for us and has at times played the role of an attacking right winger, taking the ball up the right side and connecting some good crosses. He's been fun to watch and looks to be a cornerstone of our defense. Runners-Up: I awarded MCL Nikola Andric a starting spot in the midfield over incumbent Adrian Dan, and he's responded well with two goals, four assists, and a 7.30 rating. And DL Nicolino Di Benedetto has been the perfect complement to Carlsson on the left side. He's having his best season with a 7.30 rating in all competition.

Here's our roster and team stats...

59615cd3d92c6_ScreenShot2017-07-08at5_29_26PM.thumb.png.dc19ab3621c1a0b464a71ea9dab0a57e.png

Again, our next two league matches are big ones, and sandwiched between those we kick off the Italian Cup vs. Pisa.

Edited by trman73

January 14, 2029 - Serie A: Juventus (14-2-3, 44 pts., 1st) vs. Palermo (10-2-7, 32 pts., 4th)

There are quite a few teams bunched up right below us and Inter, including Palermo, which is in fourth despite already losing seven matches. We beat these guys 2-0 on the road to kick off the league season, and we should beat them again at home.

Palermo is a decent defensive team and they stifle us throughout the first half, but in the closing seconds they make a mistake. A cross is misplayed by their defense and bounces right to Dani Ceballos in the box, and he puts it in to give us the 1-0 lead just seconds before the halftime whistle. We continue to dominate play in the second half and get a penalty shot in the 69th, but Capezzi misses it and it remains 1-0. Despite dominating possession we're actually playing our worst game in weeks, and in stoppage time Palermo makes us pay, equalizing two minutes before the end of the match. It's a disappointing draw, Inter wins its match over Udinese, and we will head to Milan for the Inter match next weekend down two points.

5961699674cd2_ScreenShot2017-07-08at6_23_09PM.thumb.png.3d639ead4f0de77a1770617469c3670f.png

January 18, 2029 - Italian Cup First Round: Juventus vs. Pisa

Pisa is actually struggling to stay up in Serie B this year and we should destroy them in this match. Motivation may be a factor here, and I'm starting quite a few subs as I need key guys rested for Inter over the weekend. The only starters I leave in are Valdes, the keeper, and Nikola Andric.

I don't know if it's motivation or lack of match fitness, but Pisa holds us scoreless in the first half. But in the 54th Ayala finds Ramirez for the opening goal, and my assumption is that we'll hold on at least for the 1-0 win. That's exactly what happens as Pisa doesn't even get a shot on net until the final minute, and we're on to the quarterfinals, where we'll face Fiorentina.

5961857f1ce7a_ScreenShot2017-07-08at8_22_31PM.thumb.png.177a716da4a60807f7093c5e47858ed7.png

Prior to our big match with Inter we let go of reserve center defender Andrija Radojevic, who was complaining about playing time. I'm not sure he'll get the playing time he seeks at PSG, but that's who we sell him to, for $14 million with incentives. We have a young backup for him that we recall from a loan at Rubin, 21-year-old Stefan Bashliev. He's got a great future ahead of him, and he's now our main backup defender in the middle with Riedewald still out for a few more games.

5961893e8624e_ScreenShot2017-07-08at8_37_32PM.thumb.png.5901718b7cff6ff7c79f24e82956098e.png5961893bc46d4_ScreenShot2017-07-08at8_38_09PM.thumb.png.f059baf63fa9f2df1d24ad9004fe660e.png

But we're not content to just bring up a young defender and throw him into action. Just a few days after we let Radojevic go, we reinvest the fee we got for him and bring in one of the best young central defenders in the world: 23-year-old Belgian Rube Deman from Gelsenkirchen. Now we've got our defense of the future.

59618d9178af6_ScreenShot2017-07-08at8_56_41PM.thumb.png.0ba656ee0afe0339b2c59a1252534828.png

I spend $25 million to bring this guy in, and with incentives included it could cost me up to $32 million. Not bothered by that at all.

Edited by trman73

January 21, 2029 - Serie A: Inter (14-5-1, 47 pts., 1st) vs. Juventus (14-3-3, 45 pts., 2nd)

This is a big one. Barring a disaster, these will be the top two teams in the league at the end of the season, as AC Milan is nine points back of us and 11 back of Inter. But a win here moves us back into first place, a point up on Inter, while a loss pushes us five back of them. We cannot let that happen. Inter is on a seven-match unbeaten streak in the league, while our streak stands at six. We start our regular team, although we are without a key reserve in Davidson Costa, who is playing for Guinnea-Bissau in the African Cup of Nations for the next three weeks or so.

Each team comes out with a lot of intensity early, and we both have a number of chances. But Inter strikes first in the 21st minute, and we are trailing for the first time in a long time. Things get way worse 10 minutes later, as Inter scores on a cross to go up 2-0 in the 30th. Yikes... we're not playing well at all here. Our normally impenetrable defense is not holding up, and when Inter scores in the 44th to make it 3-0, we are officially being dominated.

We go into attack mode to start the second half, but when inter scores in the 60th, it's over. Di Benedetto gets sent off in the 67th. What a humiliating performance in our biggest match of the year. We've gone from tied to five points back in two weeks, and we've got work to do if we want to win the league for the sixth straight year.

59619fc256c17_ScreenShot2017-07-08at10_15_02PM.thumb.png.c4f8f1b46c431eac65330d3f751cab60.png

Edited by trman73

Prior to our next match I make two additional transfer moves, shipping out another guy who was complaining about playing time and bringing in a replacement who is more suited to take over for Capezzi in the anchor midfielder spot if he needs a break.

Out (to Leverkusen for $21 million, all up front):

5961a17db010c_ScreenShot2017-07-08at10_21_49PM.thumb.png.ff0cc8ac6253714cd23359c5a7b83c38.png

In (from Liverpool for $15 million):

5961a1805ff90_ScreenShot2017-07-08at10_22_23PM.thumb.png.27c43f2b12b1b5396a7ee01623ad4042.png

January 28, 2029 - Serie A: Juventus (14-3-4, 45 pts., 2nd) vs. Lazio (8-7-6, 31 pts., 9th)

We need to get back on track against a very average Lazio team. I start Deman for the first time alongside Bedoya in the back. Di Benedetti is suspended due to his foolishness in our last match, so Ruud Postma starts for him. We desperately need three points here.

I also start Ayala over Eboko at forward in this one, as we appear to be going into another offensive slump. Ayala makes his presence felt in the 20th minute, hitting Dani Ceballos with a nice pass that leads to the score, and we're up 1-0. 

The second half is a nightmare. First, Lazio ties it in the 71st. Then, 10 minutes later, Valdes goes up for a save and winds up breaking his arm. He is out for 4-5 weeks. This is the worst possible thing that could happen to us. We're seven points back of Inter, and without our starting keeper for more than a month. This is going downhill fast.

5961c141ecfbb_ScreenShot2017-07-09at12_37_54AM.thumb.png.6f77bf395058a1a1a1d05aef38d40579.png

February 2, 2029 - Italian Cup Quarterfinal: Fiorentina vs. Juventus

Well, this sucks. With Valdes down, all we can do is try to give Ricardo Capucho the defensive support he needs to be successful. While this competition is starting to look like our most legitimate chance at another trophy this year, I still don't want to play many of my starters, and we won't. So the B Team gets on the pitch and we try to snap out of our funk.

We lose, 3-0, and I am going to bed.

5961d96e1cd0b_ScreenShot2017-07-09at2_21_06AM.thumb.png.7e02acc3e02dd9a83916a918e6d15a71.png

February 5, 2029 - Serie A: Sampdoria (5-7-10, 22 pts., 16th) vs. Juventus (14-4-4, 46 pts., 2nd)

I hold a team meeting telling the guys to not get down, and it backfires as they tell me that we're not playing poorly enough for that type of talk. But 0-2-2 in our last four matches is, to me, cause for concern at Juventus. Either way, Sampdoria should be the tonic we need to get out of our funk, as they are really struggling and are 3-3-9 in their last 15. The regulars are back out there for this one.

Inter draws its match with Napoli two days before our game, so we have a chance to move back to within five with a win here.

Well, the nightmare continues. We hit the post or the crossbar twice in this match, and never score. Our defense plays its best game in a while (Sampdoria gets no shots on goal), but it's a disheartening 0-0 draw and we don't make up critical ground on Inter. That's now five straight without a win.

59626a29a9c14_ScreenShot2017-07-09at12_38_39PM.thumb.png.e4afe291e9fd25dfed22a41e685225be.png

February 10, 2029 - Serie A: Juventus (14-5-4, 47 pts., 2nd) vs. Entella (4-8-11, 20 pts., 18th)

I don't know what to say. After this match we have the first leg with Real Madrid, and we are playing very, very poorly. We need to get on track and we need to do it right now. I have also moved into "The board feels you should be doing slight better" territory, so we're talking about my future here.

It's yet another snooze-fest for us offensively, as we go 35 minutes without getting a legitimate opportunity. But finally, Carlsson gets a good cross in, and it finds Eboko for the goal that puts us in front in a match for the first time in three games. In the 56th, D'Onofrio finds Eboko for his second goal, and at least on this day, against a terrible team, we're getting our mojo back. Entella gets one in the 88th to make it 2-1, but we dominate the game and get back on track heading into the Champions League match.

5962779bac4bb_ScreenShot2017-07-09at1_35_29PM.thumb.png.c975f8c491f605b2ae766f152039d0cc.png

February 14, 2029 - European Champions Cup, First Knockout Round, First Leg - Real Madrid vs. Juventus

This was the Champions League final in real life this year, but in this career, neither of these teams has done much in the ultimate European club competition. Real Madrid made the semis last season but prior to that it's been a series of early exits, and I've already chronicled our struggles in recent years. If we can just hang on in this first leg, we'll get both Riedewald and Valdes back for the home match in three weeks. For some reason I am feeling optimistic about our chances here, despite our recent poor run.

Real Madrid is keeping us in check throughout the first half, and then in the 39th Di Benedetto is called for a penalty, and we're down 1-0 after the converted kick. As the second half wears on and we remain without a shot on goal, I feel like we can survive with a 1-0 loss. But in the 86th, Melegoni hits Davidson Costa with a great pass in the box, and he's all alone. He nails it to pull us even! Real really brings it in the closing minutes, but Capucho keeps them at bay, and we draw. A good result for us, and we will head home for the second leg with some confidence.

59628c1ddc2a9_ScreenShot2017-07-09at2_56_21PM.thumb.png.91b25307d6640998ae8698c0edb4d2a4.png

February 18, 2029 - Serie A: Atalanta (11-4-9, 37 pts., 9th) vs. Juventus (15-5-4, 50 pts., 2nd)

Inter has a tough match at home against Roma this week, so we could potentially make up more of our deficit. Atalanta is wildly inconsistent but has won three straight overall, so we need to bring another good performance here.

We go down in the 37th, and once again are having a tough time on the attack. But in the 60th Davidson Costa scores for the second straight game to tie it. In the closing moments, it looks like we're going to draw and fall back two more points to Inter (which beat Roma), but then we get the miracle in extra time, as Melegori scores on a great pass from Adrian Dan, and we win, 2-1! A huge road win for us, and that's now four straight without a loss.

59629b78cfbc6_ScreenShot2017-07-09at4_06_21PM.thumb.png.1f20d3b7c32cb6bf64ce8b6d4e828684.png

Edited by trman73

February 25, 2029 - Serie A: Juventus (16-5-4, 53 pts., 2nd) vs. Brescia (8-10-7, 34 pts., 10th)

When we last saw Brescia they were one of the final three undefeated teams in Serie A. Since then they've created and 2-2-7 in their last 11 matches in the league. We should continue our min-run here. This is the last match before Valdes' return. Capucho the disastrous Itlalian Cup loss to Fiorentina, Capucho has give up three goals in our matches, and we've gone 2-2-0 in those matches.

We score in the fifth minute as defender Lucas Bedoya grabs an errant pass, streaks into the box, and scores on a great shot that finds the upper right corner of the goal. That score holds up through the first half, and in the 55th a throw in to the box leads to a Brescia foul, and Capezzi scores the penalty to make it 2-0. That's the final, and it's a solid win for us.

5962b7f9e9c8f_ScreenShot2017-07-09at6_10_39PM.thumb.png.2fb137d840fca710937e467c7d755a98.png

March 3, 2029 - Serie A: Udinese (5-4-17, 19 pts., 19th) vs. Juventus (17-5-4, 56 pts., 2nd)

We've got the second leg with Real Madrid midweek but we can't afford to let up in the league here, so we start the main team, except I sub out both forwards. Valdes is back in net for this one as well. Capucho did a quality job as his replacement.

I'm glad we are back to scoring some goals in the first half, as Davidson Costa continues his fine play by scoring in the 23rd to give us the lead. That's the halftime score, and it's another quality defensive performance from us. Costa's goal holds up, and he should get credit for another that is called an own goal in the 90th. We win, 2-0, Udinese fails to record a shot on goal, and that's now six straight without a loss for us. Inter draws with Sassuolo, and we're now just two points back with 11 to go.

5962c5af12717_ScreenShot2017-07-09at7_08_54PM.thumb.png.1054f54476240b687ff4e191ed54347b.png

Edited by trman73

March 6, 2029 - European Champions Cup, First Knockout Round, Second Leg - Juventus vs. Real Madrid (tied, 1-1)

We haven't allowed more than one goal since the flameout in the Italian Cup against Fiorentina. Obviously we know what we need to do here: if we win outright, or hold Real scoreless in a draw, we advance. A 1-1 draw sends us to extra time. Anything else, and we're out. We've got a clean bill of health, and we're ready to advance to the Champions Cup Quarterfinals for the first time since 2023.

It's so far so good after a scoreless first half, although we lose Davidson Costa to an injury. As we reach the hour mark Madrid starts to turn it on, but we catch them on a counter, Carlsson finds D'Onofrio, and in the 62nd we go up 1-0! Real Madrid has a great chance on a corner that we misplay in the 70th, then another in the 75th on a point blank shot, but they whiff on both of them. They bring the house in the closing minutes, but they never break through, and we win, 1-0. We take the round, 2-1, and are on to the quarters of Champions League!!

5962e129b7f48_ScreenShot2017-07-09at9_06_22PM.thumb.png.de4d66c3924b73d4381e86a61d12340c.png

March 10, 2029 - Serie A: Genoa (13-7-7, 46 pts., 4th) vs. Juventus (18-5-4, 59 pts., 2nd)

Genoa has a legitimate shot of advancing to European competition next year for the first time in this save. They are the only team to defeat us at home this season, and I want to avenge that defeat here and keep the pressure on Inter. We'll be without Davidson Costa for the next 3-4 weeks, which is a loss as he's been playing great since returning from the African Cup of Nations.

We have just two matches before a two-week break, which will be nice as some of our guys are fatigued. But we also have a ton of momentum right now, and are 5-2-0 in the last month. Following this match we'll also learn our next opponent in Champions League. One team we won't play is the defending champion, Olympique de Marseilles, which fell to Chelsea on the same day we knocked off Real Madrid. The following day Barcelona beats Bayern, and Man United knocks off Olympique Lyonnais.

Once again we play a scoreless first half, and Genoa has now held us without a goal for 135 minutes. But in the 53rd we finally score when D'Onofrio threads a perfect ball to Melegoni, who gives us the lead. Just a few minutes later Melegoni makes a great pass of his own to Eboko, and just like that we're up 2-0 and appear headed for our fifth straight league win. We cap off a glorious 10-minute run when D'Onofrio picks up a goal after some sloppy clearing from Genoa, and we're suddenly cruising 3-0. It's four goals in 13 minutes when Andric scores in the 66th to make it 4-0. Genoa puts in two late to make it seem respectable, but we cruise yet again.

5962f0353d62d_ScreenShot2017-07-09at10_10_26PM.thumb.png.9b045b09eab890d9ce09739be76cf5e2.png

March 16, 2029 - European Champions Cup Quarterfinal Draw

Here are the first knockout round results:

• Chelsea def. OM, 3-2
  • Juventus def. Real Madrid, 2-1
  • Barcelona def. Bayern, 5-3
  • Manchester United def. OL, 3-1
  • Monaco def. Dortmund, 1-1 (p)
  • Manchester City def. FCP, 7-4
  • BMG def. Arsenal, 4-3
  • PSG def. Krasnodar, 2-1 (e)

Krasnodar came close to pulling off the huge upset, but it wasn't to be. Obviously this is a who's who of European football. I suppose I'd prefer Barcelona or BMG, but any of these opponents is going to be tough.

And the draw is...

• Barcelona vs. Chelsea - I'd give Chelsea the edge here.
  • PSG vs. Manchester United - Battle of powerhouses.
  • Juventus vs. BMG - We'll take it.
  • Manchester City vs. Monaco - Battle of the 2025 and 2026 champs (Man City) and the 2027 champ (Monaco).

BMG is currently leading the Bundesliga but is hardly a powerhouse. I'd say this was the most favorable draw result I could have hoped for.

Edited by trman73

March 18, 2029 - Serie A: Juventus (19-5-4, 62 pts., 2nd) vs. Cagliari (5-5-18, 20 pts., 19th)

With 10 games to go in the Serie A season, here's where things stand...

5962f5b47f1d7_ScreenShot2017-07-09at10_33_35PM.thumb.png.f10ae447a3bfb0c81a905e574a330c7f.png

We've still got three of the top six teams in the table left on our schedule, as Roma, AC Milan, and Verona are three of our final 10 opponents. But so is Cagliari, and they are just terrible. We should get three points and our sixth straight league win today.

In the 12th minute Eboko scores from way out to put us up. Cagliairi makes absolutely nothing happen offensively, even late after Carlsson gets sent off in the 83rd. It's a 1-0 win for us, and with Inter coming from behind to beat Fiorentina, 4-2, we remain two points back.

5963025f0b50f_ScreenShot2017-07-09at11_27_59PM.thumb.png.8f7bd1b8321896e572f74747f7c2350d.png