[FM17] A Journeyman Story: Knocking José Mourinho Off His Perch

noikeee

k0tSawJ.png

October-November 2031

Competitions

atWRSAZ.jpg

Our 100% wins record in the Bundesliga continued with an unstable 3-2 win over Stuttgart, and a seemingly easier 3-0 over Gladbach... on paper. I've watched the match and was starting to get worried - it seemed very much to me like Alfonso Martínez's brilliance, with an hat-trick, masked a poor performance. And again I felt the exact same thing as we won 4-3 away over Hertha, the early season surprise league contenders: Alfonso scored two direct free-kicks and then a crazy long shot in the 92nd minute to give us the win. Sooner or later something had to give, and it finally gave in the 0-0 at home against Ingolstadt. It was back to normality with a 2-0 win at Hoffenheim, but we drew again at home with Leipzig, and then got our first league defeat of the season away at Schalke, with another uninspired performance although admitedly we only let in a speculative long shot, to lose 1st place to... erm, Leverkusen? What?

In the Champions League, two narrow but controlled wins over Napoli qualified us for the next round in a pretty straight-forward way. We're through, but in a trip to Lisbon got surprised by a feisty Benfica side who were the first team to beat us this season.

In the cup, no problem with a routine 2-0 win over Frankfurt.

GlO5l4L.jpg

Is this the wheels starting to fall off the wagon, or a momentary lapse? Time will tell. For now I'm not super concerned, as I don't believe Leverkusen have what it takes to sustain a league challenge all year long, and we've got 4 points over Dortmund and 9 over Bayern. But the performances have been less and less convincing in recent weeks and we need to find something that clicks back to form.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, noikeee said:
k0tSawJ.png

October-November 2031

Competitions

atWRSAZ.jpg

Our 100% wins record in the Bundesliga continued with an unstable 3-2 win over Stuttgart, and a seemingly easier 3-0 over Gladbach... on paper. I've watched the match and was starting to get worried - it seemed very much to me like Alfonso Martínez's brilliance, with an hat-trick, masked a poor performance. And again I felt the exact same thing as we won 4-3 away over Hertha, the early season surprise league contenders: Alfonso scored two direct free-kicks and then a crazy long shot in the 92nd minute to give us the win. Sooner or later something had to give, and it finally gave in the 0-0 at home against Ingolstadt. It was back to normality with a 2-0 win at Hoffenheim, but we drew again at home with Leipzig, and then got our first league defeat of the season away at Schalke, with another uninspired performance although admitedly we only let in a speculative long shot, to lose 1st place to... erm, Leverkusen? What?

In the Champions League, two narrow but controlled wins over Napoli qualified us for the next round in a pretty straight-forward way. We're through, but in a trip to Lisbon got surprised by a feisty Benfica side who were the first team to beat us this season.

In the cup, no problem with a routine 2-0 win over Frankfurt.

GlO5l4L.jpg

Is this the wheels starting to fall off the wagon, or a momentary lapse? Time will tell. For now I'm not super concerned, as I don't believe Leverkusen have what it takes to sustain a league challenge all year long, and we've got 4 points over Dortmund and 9 over Bayern. But the performances have been less and less convincing in recent weeks and we need to find something that clicks back to form.

I don't think you can call 29 points from 12 games 'the wheels coming off'. Great start, you're still right in the mix :)

14 hours ago, Slipky said:

Could you post Mish'an's profile please?

Decent season so far.

Of course.

cKDcqcj.jpg

Future Ballon d'Or right there IMO. He's been developing like crazy ever since we hired him about 2 years ago.

14 hours ago, Northernpilgrim said:

I don't think you can call 29 points from 12 games 'the wheels coming off'. Great start, you're still right in the mix :)

I've got some very high standards for this team because we're pretty much world class in every single position. There's no excuses here, we need to be top on everything. 2 draws and 1 defeat in the last 4 league matches just isn't good enough, even if we had 8 wins in a row before that.

On 7/30/2017 at 12:47, noikeee said:

I've got some very high standards for this team because we're pretty much world class in every single position. There's no excuses here, we need to be top on everything. 2 draws and 1 defeat in the last 4 league matches just isn't good enough, even if we had 8 wins in a row before that.

A hard man to please! :D :lol:  Looks like it's going well to me!

Atpf2Yb.jpg

Goodbye, my friend. Thanks for the absolutely extraordinary 9-and-a-half seasons.

B3osVrh.jpg

0GVscKG.jpg

bLPTkUR.jpg

I don't like selling a key player, but he's been complaining for years he wants out, I had promised him I'd accept a bid if it reached 42M€, he's 30 years old, and Jeremias Gulde has proven an adequate alternative. This might hurt our Champions League campaign this season, but it's the sensible thing to do financially. We'll never get the chance to sell him for these values again.

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

Atpf2Yb.jpg

Goodbye, my friend. Thanks for the absolutely extraordinary 9-and-a-half seasons.

B3osVrh.jpg

0GVscKG.jpg

bLPTkUR.jpg

I don't like selling a key player, but he's been complaining for years he wants out, I had promised him I'd accept a bid if it reached 42M€, he's 30 years old, and Jeremias Gulde has proven an adequate alternative. This might hurt our Champions League campaign this season, but it's the sensible thing to do financially. We'll never get the chance to sell him for these values again.

End of an era.

k0tSawJ.png

December 2031-January 2032

A very busy January transfer window saw us sell two players that had been here for a very long time! Legendary full-back Russell Fillion finally gets his Man City move after right about 9 years of asking, after 232 matches for the club. He was having one of his finest seasons so it's plausible we could be hurt, even if we should be well equipped to deal with this (self-inflicted) blow. I also sold Argentinian midfielder Federico Gords, off to China for 19M€. He's been unhappy for a long time, and didn't have a place in the team anymore. He leaves us after 7 years, 154 appearances and 39 goals. A couple of kids also got loaned.

Meanwhile, 7 players(!) arrived. This included replacements for Fillion and Gords, but also a new backup keeper and some hopefuls for the future:

JWpLGac.jpg

I'm not sure we need a backup goalie, but the homegrown kids we have for this position don't reassure me if something happens to Peer Maletzki, and for 3,6M€ Gustav Nilsson seem too good for me to pass. Also, model pro.

ZIH5kAV.jpg

Yet another Scottish kid. I set up this transfer so long ago I forgot about it. Not sure it was a great deal for 300K€, he's got a lot to develop.

fH5E8a2.jpg

This Egyptian kid looks better. Not sure he'll have a place in HSV in the future, but at very least we're bound to make some profit after a 775K€ deal. Already sent to Hertha on loan.

nlNZlPY.jpg

Now here's a proper player. I'm not sure we really needed to spend 56M€ and get a world class player to replace Federico Gords who was a backup, but hey doesn't hurt to have world class guys as more depth. Also, he scored on his debut.

PWHUVtV.jpg

And now I've gone a bit crazy. You know who this guy is? Russell Fillion's replacement. You also know what this guy ISN'T? A fullback. But I'm playing him there anyway - why bother with defending in most Bundesliga matches when everyone plays scared of us? For now it seems an inspired move as in his debut match he scored 2 penalty kicks and got an assist, and then got another assist in his 2nd start. Also there's zero risk in this move as I could pick him up for 10M€, a ridiculous price.

JTGmRBN.jpg

And here's the future Axel Ríos. For an also laughable 1,5M€ we picked up here a future world-class... winger?.... fullback? Well, let's see if he performs at LB too.

clOe3T9.jpg

To finish off, another Scottish kid, another one sent on loan, this time to Bielefeld. Not sure I did well to splash 750K€ on him but this is pocket change for us at our current level.

Competitions

RX5uh2F.jpg

Die Bundesliga, ja! December was a mixed bag. Win over Hannover, a not-so-hurtful 2 points dropped away at Leverkusen - crucially Leverkusen had already dropped from 1st place so we held on to 1st with this draw -, big win over Wolfsburg, then Bayern. ****ing Bayern. They're slowly recovering and beat us 2-0 in one of our worst performances all season so far. We barely scrapped a 1-0 over Braunschweig with a long shot screamer from Quiñones saving our uninspired asses, but we recovered inspired enough from the winter break. The Axel Ríos show delighted everyone on his debut vs Freiburg (to be fair scoring 2 from penalties is a bit cheeky/misleading) and Alfonso scored both goals as we beat Karlsruhe too. It's a 5 points lead over Dortmund now as Leverkusen are melting away.

In the Champions League, a minimum services home draw with Real got us 1st in the group and a theoretically easy tie with Club Brugge next round.

xi0nUDi.jpg

Looking good now. I've gambled a bit on selling Fillion though, he was being quite possibly the best player this season again, and we've got the momentum to actually win things again for once in a lifetime, so I'm having 2nd thoughts on whether this was the right time for letting one of our stars go. But hey we've picked up 2 crazy attacking Latin American wingers to pretend they're Fillion on steroids. We might crash out, but at least we'll crash out in style!

On 05/08/2017 at 02:09, wynter said:

Rios and Martinez are brilliant. Minor aspect of tackling aside but easily workable. 

On 05/08/2017 at 11:22, BoxToBox said:

Rios would be the perfect wingback if his tackling was 13 and his marking 8.

I actually find tackling pretty important in my attacking fullbacks, but I'll just ignore it and hope all the other strong mental attributes will compensate.

On 05/08/2017 at 14:57, kidthekid said:

it's all coming together, tis the season

On 05/08/2017 at 18:12, ManUtd1 said:

Agreed. I'm loving it.

giphy.gif

JPAXfsS.jpg

giphy.gif

0KQNhw4.jpg

This turned out straightforward at the end. I'm surprised - we'd been dismal through all February but it seems the worst may be behind us.

0uzjz3C.jpg

Oh **** off FM. Every single goddamn year, Utd and Mourinho in our path.

k0tSawJ.png

February-March 2032

After years of trying to get rid of him, unexpectedly a Chinese club came in for Maicon and paid 29,5M€ for him (still quite the loss we made on him, as we had paid Leverkusen 48M€ back in 2028). Thanks for your years of service Maic... actually no, just bugger off, you ridiculously overpaid, useless inconsistent lump. Go rot in China.

Competitions

gvSifY2.jpg

It was going so nice in the Bundesliga. Another win over Bremen, was the 4th in a row. Then that massive crash at Dortmund. And Nürnberg. And Stuttgart. 3 defeats in a row out of nowhere. As if not enough, we turned a 3-1 win over Gladbach into a 3-3 draw in the last couple of minutes. We lost more points in these 4 fixtures than all season before, lost the lead of the Bundesliga, dropped to 3rd. Wins over Hertha and Ingolstadt might be the beginning of things picking up again, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the CL, an away goal in Belgium kept us in a good position for the 2nd leg, and we did it, 3-0 win. Mourinho awaits.

In the cup, Bochum was no problem, against Ingolstadt we just scrapped a corner goal and made it to the semi-finals. Weirdly, the opponents are Grobaspach.

Dw29Ur2.jpg

Oh god. It's still all within our reach, but to be honest I just want this season over with. We were very comfortable at the top, how the **** did we drop to 4 points behind Bayern. Jesus.

7 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Tinajero again, man he is your bane.

Indeed, this guy is like the most annoying mosquito whilst you're trying to sleep that somehow disappears every time you turn on the light to kill him.

4 matches to go and this is the league:

IgMyqMq.jpg

We host Bayern in the penultimate day!

k0tSawJ.png

April-May 2033

Competitions

xH9zJgv.jpg

In the CL, a boring 0-0 home draw with Man Utd didn't bode well as I knew the 2nd leg away would be difficult. And we were lucky to even come out of Old Trafford with just a 2-0 defeat, Tinajero scoring twice in the early minutes.

In the Bundesliga, we were on a roll. With the 2 wins we had gotten already in March, we continued to make it 7 wins in a row as Hoffenheim, Leipzig (4-0 away!), Schalke, Hannover and Leverkusen (5-0!!) were all smacked. We were now well into contention coming into the final fixtures! However, you guessed it, we blew it. A poor 0-0 draw at Wolfsburg pretty much threw the title away, and I expected the home match with Bayern to mathematically knock us out. Strangely, we dominated Bayern, 2-0 win. This meant we reached the final day 1 point behind both Dortmund and Bayern, which didn't make it very likely we could still be champions, but it was still possible. However we looked crap away at Braunschweig, conceding in the very 1st minute, and barely scrapping into equalizing first 1-1 and then 2-2. At some stage all 3 matches (ours, Dortmund's and Bayern's) were tied and a goal for us would put us first, but at the end we failed to beat our opponents whilst Dortmund and Bayern did. It's a 3rd place again.

In the cup, Grossaspach were unsurprisingly easy to beat and we found ourselves in the final against Gladbach, who somehow had beaten Bayern in the other semi-final. We so nearly blew it again. Gladbach were 1-0 up by the 21st minute, and we looked horrendously uninspired. Desperate, I tried an almost arbitrary tweak of turning my diamond into a 3 striker tactic and it actually worked. Ríos and Valdecir scored in the final 20 minutes and we claimed the cup, 5 years after our last triumph.

zEhBO6C.jpg

OyWHcK1.jpg

This was a decent comeback and I'm glad to get the cup after 5 years of waiting, but not happy with blowing both of our top priorities, the CL and the league.

k0tSawJ.png

Season review 2032/33

HSV returns to trophies as we win both the cup and the German supercup, but both league and Champions League still eludes us.

A season with lots of investments meant a serious loss, and we now have 68M€ in the bank which is a big decrease from last year when we had almost 100M€ more.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

3YwLnkM.jpg

5. Dmitry Tarakanov (DC) - The young pacey Ukranian is the boss of our defence now.

4. Axel Ríos (DL) - By a massive margin the highest ratings in the team (7,76) which is quite sensational given he plays out of position as fullback. However he only played half a season, and I shielded him away from most of the biggest matches, as I didn't trust him enough to defend. Still both the ratings and the 4 goals and 7 assists he got (including a key goal in the cup final) was pretty damn impressive for just 6 months.

3. Ivan Gumede (MC) - This South African midfielder I hired a couple years ago almost as a curiosity not expecting him to feature much, has gained lots of credit throughout this season. Sensational performances.

2. Russell Fillion (DL) - I've not forgotten him. He was having one of his best seasons for us, and I now wonder whether we would've won the league if we hadn't sold him to Man City in January.

1. Alfonso Martínez (ST, AMC) - Still a world class star by the age of 31, he was by far our best striker and by far the top scorer on 27 goals (and 11 assists).

Mourinho watch

Won the Premier League, the FIFA Club World Cup, the Community Shield, and is on the Champions League final vs PSG.

Career progress table

*** CLUB ***

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Español (Uruguay)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016     Segunda Div - 4th       
2017     Segunda Div - 1st                                                                        Champions, promoted
2018     Camp. Uruguayo - 2nd (Ap. 4th, Int. finalists, Cl. 3rd)                                  Qualified for Libertadores
Nacional (Uruguay)
2019     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 4th, Int. Grps 2nd , Cl. 1st)   Libertadores 1st Pre. Rnd      Lost Champions Playoff
2020     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 2nd, Int. winners, Cl. 1st)     Libertadores winners           League+Int+Libertadores treble
Twente (Netherlands)
2020/21  Eredivisie - 13th                                                                        Joined in December
2021/22  Eredivisie - 9th        KNVB Beker semi-final
2022/23  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker 3rd round                                             Champions
2023/24  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker winners, JCS winners   CL groups, EL semi-finals      Won domestic double+Supercup
HSV (Germany)
2024/25  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal quarter final                                          Qualified for Champions League
2025/26  Bundesliga - 4th        DFB-Pokal quarter final           CL groups, EL 1st KO round     Qualified for Champions League
2026/27  Bundesliga - 1st        DFB-Pokal winners                 CL 1st KO round                Won domestic double
2027/28  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup finl. CL winners                     Champions League + Cup double
2028/29  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal 3rd rnd, Supercup finl. CL 1st KO r, USC win, CWC fin. Only won UEFA Supercup
2029/30  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal 2nd rnd, Supercup finl. CL quarter-finals
2030/31  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal semi-finals             CL finalists
2031/32  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal finalists               CL semi-finals
2032/33  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup win.  CL quarter-finals              Cup+Supercup silverware

*** INTERNATIONAL ***

Ivory Coast U23s
2024     Olympics - finalists
Portugal U23s
2028     Olympics - winners
Costa Rica
2030     World Cup playoff - winners, qualified for World Cup
2030     World Cup - group stage
Iran
2031     Asian Cup - quarter-finals

V88cqDz.jpg

nPlSUsj.jpg

It should be pretty obvious from my recent posts that my heart just really isn't in Hamburg anymore. I couldn't quite crack the Bundesliga and the CL at the end, and it just dragged on and on and on and it was just frustrating. The difficulty I felt made it an interesting challenge, but at some stage you've got to move on to more entertaining things. At least my final match in Hamburg ended with a trophy.

I don't really have a very specific plan now. My first idea was to end this career and go for something radically different - a youth challenge in a smaller league. However, with that I'd drop to a much lower level and would continue having that lingering doubt of, will I really be able to crack the very top end of world football? So I'm thinking of doing something slightly different and continuing, just with another club. But I want to trim down the level of commitment and speed up the game which is taking lots of time, so will remove a few leagues, will start using instant result often, and also intend to now start playing with downloaded tactics rather than my own. That certainly is nowhere near as rewarding, but I kinda need a break now.

Now, which club will I manage? I have no idea. Let's see what jobs open up.

Still on a Brazil theme,

r7x86Pi.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was finding it suspicious that the Brazil job was open, and was gonna apply... well no, I don't wish to be the Brazilian manager that watches the World Cup at home, thanks.

rrP4SIP.png

Monaco - 14th of December, 2033

After a few months off, I find myself the manager of AS Monaco!

par0r8w.jpg

vNYK7uB.jpg

iOnHjab.jpg

We're still in all competitions! But wait... 16th??!! What?

That's a spectacularly abnormal performance this season so far. Monaco have been slowly losing importance but still remain one of the top 5 clubs in France:

cLQyrC0.jpg

Indeed, just last season this lot was in the Champions League semi-finals!

Sa5xUqU.jpg

Onto the squad:

flwvObN.jpg

I have no idea what's going on, there's enormous potential here. There is absolutely no reason why we should be 16th in the league.

Best players:

CPOBjFQ.jpg

I've kept an eye on him for a few years. Could be an excellent striker but I'm also thinking inside forward.

qoJ7GPi.jpg

Superb goalie!

zLwYg9z.jpg

Another player I was keeping my eyes on whilst at HSV, isn't scoring many goals for whatever reason, but has the talent.

Top youth prospect:

7CUPh4U.jpg

Needs work but might still make it.

Goals

16th is ridiculous, I think we can turn this around quite dramatically and am secretly aiming at still making it to European football this season. I'm entering uncharted waters here as I try downloaded tactics (I'm looking at knap's 4-2-3-1s), which I expect to give me a serious boost as well, but the downside is I don't know how to touch them if they go wrong.

11 hours ago, noikeee said:

Still on a Brazil theme,

r7x86Pi.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was finding it suspicious that the Brazil job was open, and was gonna apply... well no, I don't wish to be the Brazilian manager that watches the World Cup at home, thanks.

Oops who broke your streak now Brazil. Your run is now over.

But in all honesty, that is actually pretty funny the fact that Brazil didn't qualify through to the World Cup and no one knows why except for Brazil fans.

I have been following this thread since nearly the beginning and I must say it's been really enjoyable watching the progress and the journey. It's definitely my favourite career thread. However, I feel it will not be nearly as interesting if you choose to play with downloaded tactics, which may lead to you steamrolling the league or similar. I completely understand the need to fastforward games or skip them entirely, but I hope you will continue with your own tactics! It makes the game a lot more fun than playing with others. Maybe go for more ordinary 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1. Anyway, great job so far with your career and I think Monaco is a great choice! Has PSG won every year so far, or?

On 11/08/2017 at 11:50, HawkAussie said:

Oops who broke your streak now Brazil. Your run is now over.

But in all honesty, that is actually pretty funny the fact that Brazil didn't qualify through to the World Cup and no one knows why except for Brazil fans.

20 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Interesting to see Brazil struggling so much -- they had a really rough patch in my save, but have recovered now and are extremely tough.

19 hours ago, cplpeters1900 said:

Brazil not qualifying is definitetly a shock! Just had Italy not qualify in my save!

Brazil is a strange one. I've noticed they seem to churn out bucketloads of wonderkids every year, but weirdly I can hardly ever find one that I actually want to hire - either their attributes are all in the wrong places, or they have big red flag traits like very low adaptability. I think this is what's going on, they've got talent but it's all just a little notch below world class level and/or difficult to deal with. They seem to be better stacked in defence than in attack, too, which is a little weird.

20 hours ago, Goofan said:

I have been following this thread since nearly the beginning and I must say it's been really enjoyable watching the progress and the journey. It's definitely my favourite career thread. However, I feel it will not be nearly as interesting if you choose to play with downloaded tactics, which may lead to you steamrolling the league or similar. I completely understand the need to fastforward games or skip them entirely, but I hope you will continue with your own tactics! It makes the game a lot more fun than playing with others. Maybe go for more ordinary 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1. Anyway, great job so far with your career and I think Monaco is a great choice! Has PSG won every year so far, or?

Yeah I do think using pre-made tactics makes it less interesting and challenging, but I just wasn't enjoying things as they were anymore, so it seemed pointless to stubbornly continue. I'd rather enjoy the game a bit more than worry about whether the career will be interesting. Anyway it's not as if I've not proven my tactics, I did win a Libertadores, a Champions League, and the Olympics with them, I just wasn't able to compete at the top consistently. And this stint at Monaco is also a test for something I'm planning later on.

PSG has, indeed, won it every year. :rolleyes: It's time to throw them off course.

OkerPXl.jpg

14 hours ago, Lenzar said:

Best of luck at Monaco!

Thanks!

13 hours ago, john1 said:

Interesting move to Monaco! Surprised to see they are 16th when you took over :eek: 

I was just as puzzled. The weirdest thing was when I noticed they had just been in the CL semi-finals last year. Like, how do you drop that low from that high in half a season. :lol:

18 hours ago, argento said:

If anyone can end this PSG monopoly I'm sure you can!

12 hours ago, john1 said:

Will be interesting to see if you can stop PSG!

7 hours ago, HawkAussie said:

Let me ring the number of 1800-021-PSG to stay not win another title :)

I think the first update will make a pretty good summary of what PSG is like here. :lol:

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

What have you let yourself in for? ;)

Working/living in a lovely place? I can even watch the F1 race.

fRR8uun.jpg

rrP4SIP.png

December 2033-January/early February 2034

I'm including the first couple of days of February as that's when the transfer window ran out.

I didn't want to do too large of a revolution as I'm yet to properly scout the world with Monaco, but this ended up being a pretty busy transfer window. In terms of outgoing players, we got rid of unwanted players Joel Pereira and Miguel Ángel Martínez, loaned out Anthony Petiot and Ben Hur Lorenzetti, and picked up 17M€ for midfielder Gianluigi Giraudo who was still pretty good and playing fine, but was 30 years old. This might yet prove to be a problem - the squad got annoyed with the sale of Giraudo, I promised I'd pick up reinforcements to replace him, but after signing a bunch of guys the squad still seems unhappy...

7 players arrived:

CCHhYci.jpg

Erm, I've got nothing to do with this one - the previous manager had done this signing, I guess, on a deal starting at 775K€ that can reach 2,4M€. Not my kind of player and not that much potential, it seems.

wuOTWPH.jpg

The first of 3 loans. We had no backup left-back at all so this kid from Man Utd will do.

QKOtO9K.jpg

This is a very interesting one - as you can see, "on loan from HSV". I spent all of last year chasing this centre-back from Benfica and never hired him, but the next HSV manager did, splashing 42,5M€ on him... only to not play him at all. I picked him up on loan for now as a short-term improvement.

XyM2xXz.jpg

Another backup full-back, but for the other flank. I was unhappy with the cover for this position as well, and for 1.4M€ this guy seemed a good deal.

POgNxtK.jpg

Two Swedish kids named J. Karlsson, this isn't confusing at all! The sale of Giraudo meant we needed a AMC, and so this playmaker from Juventus arrives on loan. I've got a more permanent replacement arriving on a Bosman for next year.

lPusMIH.jpg

Hired on a 15M€ deal on deadline day, this is the real big signing. This Brazilian wonderkid has some potential and is a good fit for the ball-winning midfield role the current tactic I'm using has -   which is key as we had a complete absence of any creditable player with these characteristics.

GMew6yR.jpg

A 2nd option for the BWM role, also arriving on deadline day. My scouts told me he's still got loads of potential, I hope they're right as Lyon weren't using him at all which I suspect has hindered his development. For 2,3M€ it was a risk-free move.

Competitions

AT0jF6V.jpg

I started off in the Coupe de la Ligue (Cup of the League, the French League Cup) with a very pleasant 5-1 win over our feeder club Paris FC. That's the way to kick off things with a new club! Next was a much tougher opponent in Rennes - who are very good in 2034 - but somehow, we smashed them 4-0, a fantastic win! This put us in the semi-finals, but this time, I had to face PSG for the first time in my French career. We played well but PSG's incredible individual talent shown, as they scored more goals from less chances and beat us in my first defeat in Monaco, after a start of 7 consecutive wins.

I was hired for saving the dreadful season in the league though, and this quite surprisingly has proved no problem, as I kicked off with wins over Caen, Saint-Étienne (perhaps our toughest match, win clinched only on minute 89), Montpellier and Dijon. I couldn't have asked for better! I could, however, have done without facing PSG just 3 days after losing to them in the League Cup, and predictably it played out the exact same way, even match but PSG scored more.

In the French Cup we seemed to struggle to break down Louhans-Cuiseaux but eventually beat them 2-0, and had less problems against Chateauroux. Facing Nantes next.

Qep1ZsY.jpg

I can only see the funny side on winning every single match... except for PSG. That, and their ridiculous advantage on the league table, should make it very clear just how much of a challenge they are. For now we shouldn't worry about them, and worry about saving our season instead. We might still only be 13th but I'm delighted at this start - I expected the new tactic to be good, but this is even surpassing my expectations. I'm not sure there's enough matches remaining in the season for us to still recover a 10 points gap and make it to Europe but we'll give it our best shot.

Also word out to the incredible form of striker Alaa Hossam - he's scored on every single match except the League Cup semi-final in which he was injured. Fantastic return!

Archived