[FM17] A Journeyman Story: Knocking José Mourinho Off His Perch

noikeee

Well, maybe I could've been just a wee bit more patient, it only took a day for the groups to come out. India qualify from 3rd place in our group.

GTfaNQ3.jpg

I can live with Kuwait in the next round, we should be clear favourites. I also think we should be able to deal with Qatar or Thailand. Now Australia (the reigning champions), or South Korea (the hosts) in the semi-finals? Much tougher...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lenzar said:

Who are the big threats in this tournament? I'm going to guess Australia and South Korea?

Yeah but I'd put Japan right up there, probably a notch above them, their squad is really good, they've got Miyagawa from HSV amongst others. Saudi Arabia won one of the recent tournaments too, but I think their current squad is pretty unimpressive.

Recent winners:

H3kdjsI.jpg

pT1L1Nw.jpg

I gambled resting some of the players I should've rested against India. It went better than I expected. A mid-match switch from the Dsp3HB to the Shy3HB turned things around, although the kind of goals was a little ridiculous - 1 owngoal, 2 penalty kicks, 1 random goal by a marauding backup defensive fullback showing up on the area because who knows, and 1 absolute beauty of a long shot screamer.

gbxaQwJ.jpg

It's Thailand then. I'm a bit surprised by that tbh.

k0tSawJ.png

December 2030-January 2031

2 new players arrived, whilst DM Jesus Cuesta was loaned out:

9lvhoRk.jpg

A perhaps unnecessary extra, but we need to renew our backline soon. He's probably better at DM but can play DC where we need younger blood urgently.

RAEWXAN.jpg

The Israeli wonderkid we had poached over a year ago, finally arrives now. He's going to be incredible but for now shouldn't play much yet.

Competitions

xDyXwTD.jpg

In the Bundesliga a goalless draw away at Leipzig wasn't great but we could live with it, then we beat Gladbach, but there were more lost points when we could only salvage a draw at home with Nürnberg in the final minute. Wins over Mainz and Köln set us up for better form going into the winter break, but then we were shocked in January with a loss at home to Wolfsburg. With this we let Dortmund past for 2nd again, and Bayern are now long gone into the distance. It's a 8 points gap now already...

In the Champions League, we somehow got a big 5-0 win over Besiktas in the final day despite rotating players.

A8FIBgE.jpg

In disappointing fashion we're seeing this season fall apart yet again, this time I think it's because a lot of players are unsettled due to interest from other clubs, I often go into games and everyone's "nervous". The tactic has proven a bit of a disappointment too and I'm now going in circles to the old Shy3HB but sometimes, as against Wolfsburg, none of the tactics seem to work.

Also, hey guys say hello to the X-Shaped 3-Headed Beast:

2pHQZYY.jpg

F2NNyFD.jpg

Yes this is getting silly by now with all these variants, but I reckon since the main forward (Quiñones) is playing like absolute ****, I might as well get rid of him and use another of the midfielders. First match against Hoffenheim using this we won 3-0 but I was watching full match and chopping and changing.

BzEiEQ7.jpg

It's a disaster!! We're out!! A massive blunder by our usually reliable CB Naser Mansouri put Thailand up from the very beginning, and we never seemed to know how to deal with their 4-4-2 diamond properly, as I scrambled across my tactics and never hit a sweet spot with any. We were highly unlucky as we had chances to score more and Thailand put away almost all their chances, but the reality is we've been knocked out by a side that should've been comfortably within our means to beat...

n7cZAim.png

Asian Cup 2031 - South Korea - Tournament review

A poor tournament for Iran sees us crash out in the quarter-finals at the hands of Thailand, even if it all had looked promising up until then.

Statistics and best player

ee7mRA7.jpg

Majid Ghasemi - The Southampton winger had looked very fine as a fullback all competition long, until an injury suffered against Thailand made me take him out for caution and we lost there our biggest weapon that could've helped us turn the match around. Shoot out too to forward Hasan Heydari and midfielder Jamal Asadzadeh who both had a very good Asian Cup as well.

Resignation

XDHRv6B.jpg

This should be no surprise... The final result was poor and I'm getting a bit fed up of how much international management feels like a chore. Time to focus on HSV.

k0tSawJ.png

Youth intake 2031

Rt3TSAo.jpg

4RJBjs5.jpg

63zXOQr.jpg

8at2GFh.jpg

VC7t6O8.jpg

LjHL3bt.jpg

sZ0sDoP.jpg

qAu2Vvm.jpg

8abuQ5U.jpg

Hey, players. Taffersthofer and Aiera got loads of stars. I'm not seeing it in Aiera at all but Taffersthofer got decent starting attributes for a 14yo and is already "consistent" which I value immensely, nevermind in such a young player.

hWERIFb.jpg

Well that's a little unexpected. I had forgotten how a big European win felt like. We took already an advantage at home in the 1st leg, and confirmed it in Camp Nou with Barcelona playing perfectly into our hands by playing wide open, which is basically unheard of these days as everyone parks the bus against us, or at least keeps a player back or two. Thanks, Barcelona.

nwCuqVW.jpg

I'm also not unhappy with this draw. Obviously Juventus are good and can hurt us, but I look at all the other sides in this competition and would rather avoid them all first rather than Juventus.

k0tSawJ.png

February-March 2031

There was one more transfer as disgruntled defender Maicon was let go on loan to Cruzeiro. He's proven a **** investment for the 48M€ we paid for him a few years back - I don't trust him on the basis of "dreads big matches".

Competitions

ttJE5Dj.jpg

In the Bundesliga, we beat Hoffenheim a nice 3-0 away, before the big match with Dortmund. This was a huge missed opportunity. We picked up the lead twice, and were playing well, but led Dortmund turn the match around late in the 2nd half... wins over Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Bremen followed, before we lost points in a hugely frustrating home match with Hertha - 2-0 up, winning and playing very comfortably, and then boom, goals conceded in minutes 90 and 93. This didn't bode well for going to Munich to beat Bayern, but somehow, we beat them again! This is little consolation if we're going to drop points constantly and lose the Bundesliga to them, as proved again when we drew 1-1 at home with Leverkusen.

In the Champions League, Barcelona proved surprisingly easy as a single Fabián López goal (yes he still plays for us!) gave us the lead in the 1st leg, before we obliterated them 4-1 in the Camp Nou with a Alfonso Martínez hat-trick and our best overall performance of the season.

In the cup, it was a dismal showing against Braunschweig of the 2.Bundesliga, as playing at home we failed to score for 120 minutes and somehow scrapped through on penalties.

RzcunhX.jpg

Consistency, where's the consistency? Lately we appear to be playing better than ever against the big sides, but have lost the plot in the routine matches against smaller teams and this looks like it might well cost us the league. I'm every bit as lost as I've been through the last few seasons...

Nicely done over the Catalans! 

That inconsistency, I find, is a sure sign that you're on the verge. Capable of playing with anyone, but not quite ready to break down an organized, focused defense.

23 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Nicely done over the Catalans! 

That inconsistency, I find, is a sure sign that you're on the verge. Capable of playing with anyone, but not quite ready to break down an organized, focused defense.

We've been on the verge for a few years then. :lol:

crvro3g.jpg

We completely dominated this tie and should've won by a more comfortable margin than a single goal scored in Italy - by none other than Juventus' former player Paul Diaby. This puts us in a CL semi-final for the first time in 3 years, which is good news as the league has gone completely down the sink and we need SOMETHING.

drdDMG7.jpg

I can live with that. Man Utd are the only team I genuinely, truly fear in this competition, and they were knocked out by Atlético in the previous round.

ChIuOz2.jpg

I'm... stunned. Against a Arsenal team that featured our former players Emiliano Diana, Lee Jong-Hyuk, Ersel Gemici and Ahmed Abdel Aal (yes that's 4 of them!!), we just rampaged past them easily, after having already beaten them at home before.

It's like there's two different teams here. One, the inconsistent, increasingly insecure lot that is struggling big time in the Bundesliga, recently we've even had problems holding 3rd place against Liepzig, which put my managing job under serious threat of being sacked. And then there's the team that just gloriously wallops past everyone in Europe.

Our reward for beating Arsenal.... is this:

8cxv9zN.jpg

Oh my. Is this the ultimate revenge against Tinajero, or Tinajero's ultimate revenge against HSV? We've already beaten Bayern twice this season, can we make it a third and lift my 2nd Champions League? 

At least our kids have already shown us our way...

lRCM7Co.jpg

k0tSawJ.png

UEFA Champions League final: HSV - Bayern

Build-Up

Hello from the Luzhniki in Moscow! Have you missed us?

c2c5xmi.jpg 

z6yXz8P.jpg

DssQOwo.jpg

It's been 3 years since we last covered Henrique dos Santos' HSV side in an European final, which back then he won against Real Madrid. This time his opposition is HSV's domestic nemesis Bayern, led by Unai Emery and by of course the spectacular forward José de Jesús Tinajero, famously sold by HSV to Bayern a few years back. He is currently on a 62 goals season and will be willing to score the 63rd as Bayern search for an European title that has escaped them for a very long time now - since 2013. Indeed the last time they were even on the final at all was in 2023, 8 years ago, when they lost to Barcelona.

As for the starting 11s here...

HOe4h7d.jpg

HSV field their absolute best 11. In the radical and weird X-Shaped formation they've been rocking successfully in the Champions League this season, there is space for attacking midfielders Jordy Ngongé, Alejandro León and Paul Diaby, as forward Santiago Quiñones, after a hugely disappointing season, starts on the bench.

Bayern... wait a minute... there's something strange with Bayern! Where is Tinajero! The Mexican superstar will definitely not be adding a 63rd goal to his account this season as he's out with a broken ankle. This strangely makes Henrique dos Santos nervous back in the HSV bench - Tinajero famously tends to choke in the big matches and undoubtedly his replacement Rafael Arlinghaus will not suffer from the same issues. Not much seems wrong with Bayern otherwise - they are just packed with superstars all over and Spanish winger Juan Manuel in particular, in the absence of Tinajero, must be considered the most dangerous player.

k0tSawJ.png

1st half

Minute 10: Uhm, this doesn't bode well. Pretty much nothing happened for the first 10 minutes. Bayern counter-attack pretty much with Arlinghaus on his own and the German striker shoots from some distance way high.

Minute 19: Chance for HSV! An intricate play through the bazillion of HSV's midfielders culminates with a throughball from Paul Diaby into a Russell Fillion advancing from way deep, but the left-back's diagonal shot goes wide.

Minute 27: A freekick for Bayern almost results in a HSV counter, but HSV lose the ball immediately and a counter-counter releases André Amrell free for a shot that goes just wide.

Minute 32: Bayern again! A cross from Selver Jusic doesn't go in because Peer Maletzki tips it wide!

Minute 37: Yellow card for Russell Fillion, this isn't good...

Minute 40: And a yellow for Gaoussou Coulibaly! Both our fullbacks are carded now!

HALF-TIME: 0-0 in Moscow after a pretty poor first half. HSV are nervous and Bayern seem to have the slightly upper hand but it's not like they're creating a lot of chances neither. Just look at the stats...

6csddDH.jpg

Thrilling.

k0tSawJ.png

Half-time analysis

- This hasn't been a thriller so far, has it Luis?

c2c5xmi.jpg

- Yeah even I will have to agree that it hasn't. The players are feeling the occasion, the unique chance to save the season for both of the teams. With such responsabilities on their shoulders, everyone is tense. But with time, legs will tire, mistakes will happen and space will appear. And then, the most deserving champions of Europe will be crowned.

- Pedro, what do you think? Is there something that could be changed tactically to unlock this?

z6yXz8P.jpg

- Oh yes, absolutely. HSV have stuck to the very narrow plan they've used in Europe to such success this season, but Bayern have outfoxed them by deciding to be more cautious tonight. This nullifies the space for HSV to play in - and their plan falls apart as such. Henrique needs to change something and urgently if he wants to win this, otherwise Bayern will keep the ball until they get a goal in.

- Nuno, how are the players warming up?

DssQOwo.jpg

- Warm is not a word I would use here in the Lukhz.. Looz... Lutz.. oniki in Moscow. I forgot my coat and fur hat at the hotel, can you get someone to pick it up for me, PLEASE?

k0tSawJ.png

2nd half

Minute 45: Minor switch for HSV. Alfonso Martínez upfront is turned from a Poacher to a DLF/S. Our recently signed, new Assman Ruud van Nistelrooij says some positive words to try to cheer up the lads... but everyone seems nervous anyway.

Minute 51: Vaguely dangerous play from Bayern. A quick transition ends in a flank-to-flank pass to Juan Manuel who shoots high. Still zero shots on target from Bayern... but they've shot 3 times more than us.

Minute 52: Time to roll the dice completely from HSV - the current plan is clearly not working. I switch to the latest version of the URU Tiki-Taka, on its most cautious version with a DM and "Higher Defensive Line" instead of "Close Down More".

Minute 57: Almost a chance for Bayern! Walbaum's cross finds Arlinghaus near the penalty spot, but Guadalupe deflects it into a corner.

Minute 58: Another cross to Arlinghaus, he heads it high now.

Minute 59: GOAL FOR BAYERN! 1-0! It's a dodgy, sloppy goal - Arlinghaus tries to pass to Amrell, Ngongé tackles it but it bounces to a free Walbaum in the area who shoots past Maletzki!

nTcsQWu.jpg

Minute 63: First sub for HSV. Alejandro León, having a poor match, goes off for trusted striker Fabián López.

Minute 71: I sub more players. Leonardo Martínez and Federico Gords come in for Max Buttenhauser and Jordy Ngongé. But the minutes are quickly moving and we're not doing anything...

Minute 74: Almost 2-0!! A lateral freekick rebounds into the path of Korean CB Park Seung-Hyun who misses from very close!

Minute 83: Hey, we actually shoot at goal. Coulibaly finds Rrapaj barely into the area at an angle, but the keeper pushes to a corner. In the corner, Rrapaj again heads it high.

Minute 84: I add Get Stuck In and Close Down More. We need to risk things.

Minute 88: I add Dribble Less. It's too late now, but we're wasting so many balls due to our strikers trying to dribble past great defenders...

Minute 91: Our final chance? By now I've gone Attacking mentality and we've got a pretty dangerous lateral freekick. Wim de Jong heads it wide...

It's over, Bayern are champions. :(

iBiRGpN.jpg

22 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

:(:applause:

I think by now this might be the most brutal period I've ever gone through in FM. I've had very **** periods of underperformance in other careers, but underperforming after having already come good in the first place with the exact same club, with lesser players no less, is a new experience. That this year we actually came good in the CL only to choke in the final to our rivals is just the icing on the cake. :lol:

I'm stubborn though. I want to stick around until we actually win the CL and the Bundesliga again. Ideally in the same year!

8 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Ugh... So close.

At least He Who Shall Not Be Named didn't score the winner.

Was gonna be difficult, with a broken ankle. :brock:

4 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

F***ing Bayern, man :( 

I've got good news though: Bayern themselves choked and lost the league to Dortmund by drawing their last match. Seems fitting to delight myself with a bit of schadenfreude in Germany.

k0tSawJ.png

April-May-early June 2031

Competitions

aU63oSV.jpg

In the Bundesliga, a brief win over Hannover was a distraction from what otherwise was a dismal run of lost points - Freiburg (D), Schalke (L), Gladbach (L) and Leipzig (D). With this, not only we crashed out of the title race, we even lost 3rd place to Leipzig... and now my head was in serious danger of getting chopped, too! Thankfully, there was a little stretch of 3 wins at the very end that gave us enough of a push to salvage a lowly 3rd place.

The cup didn't go much better. Although we danced past Leipzig to book a place in the semi-finals, we were utterly ininspired vs Schalke there, and after a goalless 95 minutes, they put 2 past us in extra-time. It was a great chance to make it to the cup final again, and we missed it.

But the Champions League suddenly burst into glory. In Italy, we were marginally better than Juve and a Paul Diaby long shot sunk his former team - in the return we held onto the 0-0 and sneaked through. Against Arsenal, we dominated them in Hamburg and reached half-time 3-0 up only for them to claim 2 goals back and put some pressure into the 2nd leg - which would prove no problem as we beat them 3-0 for good this time. This was a glorious way to reach an European final but against Bayern we choked big time and failed to repeat the other 2 wins we got over them this season.

8Ua5Aa6.jpg

What a bizarre season. We continue stuck at domestic level and spinning our wheels tactically (though I've been getting some advice in the tactics forum that might help), but at European level something clicked and we almost managed to get the big trophy again... only to find ourselves with pie in our face again. The board is starting to get impatient and I'm "insecure" again despite the fact I just signed a 4 year contract... but I'll cling on to the job and stubbornly remain trying to restore HSV to greatness.

k0tSawJ.png

Season review 2030/31

It's another season stuck in 3rd place in the Bundesliga, but out of nowhere we reach the Champions League final again. Making the cup semi-finals was decent-ish.

85M€ in the bank. This number is good, but has been getting lower year after year at this stage as I think we're starting to waste too much on wages. Might be time to sell a player or two.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

zYfAthr.jpg

5. Gaoussou Coulibaly (DR, DL, WBL) - As this season we started to use more conventional fullbacks again instead of IWBs, Coulibaly returned to his place on the right instead of Masataka Miyagawa. He did well even if he isn't one of our most talented players in theory.

4. Paul Diaby (AMC, MC, ST) - A good-but-not-great first season for the club from our new global superstar. Paul finished the season with a decent return of 9 goals and 8 assists, however he did get named an unusually high 7 times player of the match, mostly thanks to moments of brilliance in important matches, such as that long shot that got rid of Juventus in the CL quarter-finals.

3. Russell Fillion (DL, DR, WBL) - Still one of our better players, but declining in importance. At the age of 28 his skills haven't diminished yet, but the way we play has evolved (or not, depending on the point of view) and we are less reliable on left-back assists - from 25 in 28/29 to 11 in 29/30 to just 8 this season.

2. Granit Rrapaj (DM, MC) - The 20 year old is starting to make a serious name for himself, and I believe he will put a mark in world football for the next decade. Despite being used all season in relatively deep roles such as the DLP/D, the Regista, CM/S, or later, the slightly more adventurous BBM/S, he somehow found a way to score 10 goals - becoming our 2nd top scorer - which adds up to his excellent defensive work.

1. Alfonso Martínez (ST, AMC) - This was a very strange season in terms of the spread of goals, as Quiñones, our most advanced forward in several of our tactics, had a godawful season with just 8 goals, we did have otherwise a lot of random people scoring a handful, but Alfonso utterly dominated the scoring charts with 36, more than 3 times what anyone else managed. He also finished the season with most assists (11), most player of the match awards (12), better average rating (7.48). He's fantastic, but I'm now concerned we're too reliant on him and also he's already 29 years old.

Mourinho watch

It's another Premier League title for Mourinho's Utd - the 6th in a row - and he also adds a League Cup. He's on another level, completely.

Career progress table

*** CLUB ***

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Español (Uruguay)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016     Segunda Div - 4th       
2017     Segunda Div - 1st                                                                        Champions, promoted
2018     Camp. Uruguayo - 2nd (Ap. 4th, Int. finalists, Cl. 3rd)                                  Qualified for Libertadores
Nacional (Uruguay)
2019     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 4th, Int. Grps 2nd , Cl. 1st)   Libertadores 1st Pre. Rnd      Lost Champions Playoff
2020     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 2nd, Int. winners, Cl. 1st)     Libertadores winners           League+Int+Libertadores treble
Twente (Netherlands)
2020/21  Eredivisie - 13th                                                                        Joined in December
2021/22  Eredivisie - 9th        KNVB Beker semi-final
2022/23  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker 3rd round                                             Champions
2023/24  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker winners, JCS winners   CL groups, EL semi-finals      Won domestic double+Supercup
HSV (Germany)
2024/25  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal quarter final                                          Qualified for Champions League
2025/26  Bundesliga - 4th        DFB-Pokal quarter final           CL groups, EL 1st KO round     Qualified for Champions League
2026/27  Bundesliga - 1st        DFB-Pokal winners                 CL 1st KO round                Won domestic double
2027/28  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup finl. CL winners                     Champions League + Cup double
2028/29  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal 3rd rnd, Supercup finl. CL 1st KO r, USC win, CWC fin. Only won UEFA Supercup
2029/30  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal 2nd rnd, Supercup finl. CL quarter-finals
2030/31  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal semi-finals             CL finalists

*** INTERNATIONAL ***

Ivory Coast U23s
2024     Olympics - finalists
Portugal U23s
2028     Olympics - winners
Costa Rica
2030     World Cup playoff - winners, qualified for World Cup
2030     World Cup - group stage
Iran
2031     Asian Cup - quarter-finals

6 hours ago, Vilmar said:

Unlucky there with the CL.

I wouldn't call it unlucky, we were absolutely **** poor. Bayern did something different that unsettled us tactically, neither plan A or plan B worked at all.

4 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Jesus that is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE squad you have now.

Some of your core squad are coming to the end now so I look forward to seeing your Alex Ferguson period of regenerating your squad.

Ha, huge squads are a recurrent feature in my careers. :D  There's reasons why every single of those players are there, but I'm trying to sell some of them for the new season to cut the wage bill.

That challenge of rejuvenating the squad is very true and one of the reasons I'm insisting with this, as it's something I've not had to do often, I never manage teams for long enough for this problem to arise!

2 hours ago, lennard1 said:

Hey man, what skin are you using?

CFM skin 2017

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

Must be especially tough losing to Bayern :(

At least Tinajero didn't play and/or score.

Aaaaaaaaaand he's gone!

CJV0kNi.jpg

MQGdWS8.jpg

giphy.gif giphy.gif

Gonna play for Mourinho, of all people. Now I just have to wish I don't meet Man Utd in the CL again... but Tinajero chokes on the big matches so we should be okay.

140 goals in 113 league matches for Bayern, **** me. :lol:

20 minutes ago, john1 said:

Shame you didn't get a % of the transfer ;) :D 

I actually had like 20% of the profit of next sale or something, but I sold the clause years ago! Never thought they'd get such a huge fee at the end!

k0tSawJ.png

June-July 2031 - Pre-season transfers

Player sales and loans:

7q4w6AB.jpg

Total: 25,5M€

Erm, there's not much going on here? The main deals were the sales of Rafael Rogowski, a midfielder I hired many years ago when he was still a teenager but never quite met his potential, 22 year old midfielder Jesús Cuesta who went back to Colombia for 7,5M€ whilst I retain a 15M€ option as he's still good and could still be useful if he develops just a bit more; and goalkeeper Emanuel Ramos 25A who also has potential but frustratingly is "very inconsistent" so I don't think I'll ever trust a keeper like that - I slapped a "profit of next sale" clause, though.

However, whilst the sales list is short so far, we're definitely not over with it. Expect at least one big sale before the end of the transfer window - I just haven't been able to move anyone of a major profile yet. This is a problem with my project of rejuvenating the squad as the older guys still all remain.

New signings:

qBCFQmj.jpg

Total: 35M€

With a short transfer budget this season and no major sales to fund more transfers, we've been relatively quiet. I'm betting on the future and none of the new faces is younger than 24, although 2 are meant for the first team and 2 others only for HSV II:

dJ9QQ0P.jpg

A German wonderkid! For 17.5M€ I had to take him. There's issues - he's mildly "inconsistent" and he's not as good (at the moment) as neither Fillion or Miyagawa. However those 2 guys are 28 and 27 years old, respectively. And paid a whole lot more in wages. Now... do we really need 3 left-backs?

0A4j9Oq.jpg

For the other flank, also rather cheap at a 13,5M€ fee. The only thing I dislike is the "stays back at all times" PPM, I'm trying to get him to unlearn it. Meanwhile, not to have 3 right-backs, I loaned out our youngster Luis Blohm 27B, who is promising but a fair bit inferior.

Qs0LmY7.jpg

First of the 2 HSV II kids, this right-back arrives from Scotland. Already aged 19, 20 within the next couple of weeks, I don't really think he's gonna make it, but on a free? Yeah I'll take him.

waWdrQf.jpg

I paid serious money (4,2M€) for this young lad who just turned 17 but I think it's worth it, his attributes look incredibly well rounded. I think he's gonna be a star in a couple of years.

The main squad for the 2031/2032 season:

TvZdV7a.jpg

This is a work in progress, still far too large. I would like to cut off a fullback and a CB or midfielder. That would shorten us to 24 players which is a good number for me.

p3fCfpn.jpg

I'm now using "instant result" for all friendlies so basically disregard them.

k0tSawJ.png

August-September 2031

Seems like I left the exciting part of the transfer window for the end. For a start, we sold our very trusted and solid left-back Masataka Miyagawa to go join Mourinho and Tinajero and play for Man Utd, for 34,5M€. Miyagawa was great but he was 27 and I needed to free up a space for our new wonderkid Jeremias Gulde. And then on deadline day I decided to part ways with Wim de Jong, a player that I've managed for the last 11 seasons(!!!) : 4 for Twente and then 7 for HSV. Farewell Wim and thanks for a brilliant career. You can go get one of your last few paychecks for Tottenham now. I sold him at a relative discount of 7,5M€ but he was on his final year of contract.

I sold Wim de Jong because I bought an absolute monster of a player for his place! And 2 kids:

KLxrZeH.jpg

Woah there. Best centre-back in the world for the next decade? That's what I'm counting on. I spent all Summer long chasing him, but I didn't have the transfer budget to get him. Then on deadline day, under threat Rennes could poach him, I decided to put in a bid then ask my board for help in a hopeful punt. They... agreed, and took care of everything. The board immediately splashed 49M€ (out of thin air, which was way beyond my budget), agreed a rather excellent contract (apart from a 124M€ release clause but I can live with that) and he arrived. Thanks!

nK82aLV.jpg

Tarakanov was not the only CB I hired, as I also went to Scotland to go get this kid for 1,6M€. Rangers insisted he'd stay there on loan for another year, and that suited us fine, so I agreed.

biAiknN.jpg

A lesser player, but cheap - for 55K€ there's no risk in this transfer. Probably one to get us some minor profit in a couple of years.

Competitions

ldc5RU1.jpg

First match of the season was pretty familiar as this is now routine every season - 3-0 win in the cup over a lower league team. Israeli wonderkid Alon Mish'an scored his first 2 goals for the club, I expect these to be the first of many.

In the Bundesliga we kicked off spectacularly well as we found ourselves beating Köln 4-0 away... only to concede 3 in the last few minutes, well that's still a win. Then we disappointingly failed to break down Freiburg's bus, before 2 of the trickiest matches of the season against Dortmund and Bayern. And there... everything went better than expected! Massive 5-1 dismantling of Dortmund - Alfonso Martínez with FOUR assists - and an away win over Bayern as well. I like this. What I didn't like, to my horror, was another two goalless draws, which is proving a pattern and worrying me. We finished September with a win over Hannover.

In the Champions League, a pretty standard 3-0 win over Maccabi Tel-Aviv was hardly any surprise. We travel to Old Trafford next...

f1uxIqG.jpg

Well this is weird. I've been spending some time in the tactics forum trying to get tips on how to deal with parked buses, and the tips I've been getting helped us tank both Dortmund and Bayern! .... except we're still crap against those pesky defensive teams and have already dropped points 3 times with 3 goalless draws. Uh-oh.

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

I've been managing Gaoussou Coulibaly for over 7 years now for HSV, plus a brief stint with Ivory Coast, and I don't think I've talked about his haircut. Let's discuss his haircut.

tzgr3ak.jpg 

Image result for kid n play

Archived