[FM17] A Journeyman Story: Knocking José Mourinho Off His Perch

noikeee

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I would have sold Tinajero as well due to the fee. But the benefit of keeping him will be to unlock and defeat the smaller sides in the Bundesliga. I think Bayern used that to their advantage. 

All the best for the UCL final! 

9 hours ago, kidthekid said:

wow. Well you got champs league while Bayern will be at home

Yeah I'd gladly trade the Bundesliga for a chance at winning the big thing, so we at least have that.

8 hours ago, inthisspace said:

I guess I would have sold Tinajero as well due to the fee. But the benefit of keeping him will be to unlock and defeat the smaller sides in the Bundesliga. I think Bayern used that to their advantage. 

All the best for the UCL final! 

He made them better, but the thing is they were already on a roll before his signing. I'm not sure he made the difference, we ended up quite far behind at the end (as the next update will show, after I play the big CL final tonight). Bayern were just insane this year. I think it was the change in manager, I didn't spot it earlier but at some stage they got rid of Klopp and brought in Unai Emery and I think that was what made them click.

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

I warned you about selling Scumbag-Tiña-Jesus. :( 

Yeah but I'm a stubborn idiot. :D

mLHirv3.png

Lisbon, Portugal - 21st of May, 2028

Some surprise news right before the Champions League final:

Ni3ceTm.jpg

I'm doing the Olympics again! After the adventure in Mexico 4 years ago with Ivory Coast where we went all the way to the final and then lost to Italy, returning home with the silver medal, this time I am managing my actual home country, taking over the Portugal Under 23s

jHJHMgn.jpg

This is a bit of a strange time to take over Portugal, as by 2028 this is an entirely different nation of a much higher profile: we are now talking about the winners of Euro 2016, Euro 2020 and FIFA World Cup 2022! Blessed with some fabulous players in the original database, by 2028 it feels as if Portugal is, instead of the past perenial underdogs who always just miss out, this is now a huge footballing nation with tons of pressure to perform and now even seemingly entering a bit of a decline, as the graph of the FIFA World Rankings above will show: we've gone from 1st in 2024 to 15th at the moment under Rui Vitória.

The Olympics are a bit of an odd, wildcard tournament however. Portugal hasn't even reached this competition once during my whole career so far. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly will we be able to do, specially since I have no prepared squad to work with, and still have to figure out who the hell are my eligible players. What I can say, however, is that the group we're given is looking suspiciously easy:

wzRmmWU.jpg

Goals

I find the Olympics a fun tournament to play in, since it's such a short competition I really don't have to put in the long-term commitment of a full-blown national team, although I don't rule out doing it in the future. In this tournament, played in South Africa (I'm gonna presume it's the Cape Town Olympics), we appear to be one of the biggest names but I know the Brazilian, Spanish, Italian, Mexican regens all tend to be very good so am expecting a strong challenge from those 4 teams. Ideally I'd like to get the gold medal that my Ivorian team missed out on 4 years ago, but I'm not promising anything.

k0tSawJ.png

UEFA Champions League final: Real Madrid - HSV

Build-Up

Hello and welcome to the Stade Orange Velodrome in Marseille for the 2027-2028 UEFA Champions League final!! This is the match that marks the return of HSV to an European final 45 years later, but which is also being hyped up in the press as the big showdown between the 2 Portuguese managers... who aren't José Mourinho:

lxDzUPA.jpg

André Villas-Boas has more experience in European finals, having won the Europa League with Porto over 15 years ago, and also having been here in the Champions League final with Juventus just last year, ultimately losing the final to Liverpool. Henrique dos Santos has not played any European final yet but does have experience in continental football showdowns, having won the Libertadores with Nacional of Uruguay. Ultimately, neither manager has a single Champions League title to their name - this will change today for one of them.

Let's have a look at the starting eleven of both sides:

Yh9TM8F.jpg

It's a weakened side for HSV! Beyond Jon Kitto's serious injury, there's all sorts of problems going on here. Canadian left-back Russell Fillion, on the back of a splendorous season, will miss out being just on 78% condition - and so Henrique dos Santos decides to leave him out even from the bench. This poses further problems as the also brilliant Masataka Miyagawa is moved to left-back from his usual IWB position on the right, which means a more traditional right-back in Gaoussou Coulibaly. Peruvian CB Juan Guadalupe is on the bench, also recovering from injury; and midfielder Artan Stafa is yet another to miss out although he was unlikely to be a starter.

As for Real, they seem to be lining up all their massive stars. The key here is the magnificent front trio: Polish star Dariusz Furlepa, formerly briefly managed by dos Santos at Twente, starts on the right; whilst Dutchman Nyoman Rahman is on the middle, and Frenchman Christophe Barreau is on the left. All three are valued at 77M€. They've also scored a total 67 goals this season. Veterans Paul Pogba, 35, and Gabriel Jesus, 31, are on the bench.

TV Coverage

I would've liked to do a proper Sky Sports coverage here, but as someone who doesn't get British TV beyond a stream once in a while, trying to do Sky Sports banter with Gary Neville, Carragher etc would feel fake. I will instead be covering this from the Portuguese POV with a bunch of pundits I will present here to those who don't know them (erm, everyone):

c2c5xmi.jpg

Luis Freitas Lobo

A football connoisseur who reportedly watches a ungodly amount of playing hours per week through satellite TV, Luis is best known for commentating football from a perhaps overly lyrical point of view. The beauty is seen in everything, every pass is a poem, every goal a moment to cherish the fact we're all alive witnessing it. A good, hugely knowledgeable lad, but **** me, does he embellish everything.

z6yXz8P.jpg

Pedro Henriques

A mediocre left-back in the 1990s and 2000s who very briefly passed by Benfica, Pedro has now gained more prominence as a witty, blunt commentator. He's also knowledgeable and can be entertaining, but being opinionated makes him not to everyone's liking. He does have one highly annoying trait, almost universally condemned: commenting every dangerous shot with a loud UIIIIIIISSHHHH scream.

8dJQvUt.jpg

Nuno Luz

The previous duo are serious pundits for Sport TV, but this broadcasting team would not be fun enough without a goofy field reporter, who covers football for SIC in real life.. and now Spanish Marca too. This is a guy that could star in The Office, making us feel excruciatingly embarrassed for him, whilst we wonder if studying sports journalism can really be that hard. The list of bizarre remarks and pointless moments in his career goes from shouting F*CK whilst not knowing he's on screen, asking manager Jorge Jesus in a pre-prepared sitting interview: "so... how's it like to... how does it feel to do, like, tactics and stuff... you know?", or announcing all giddy and starstruck that he sit on the same table and had the same dessert as the Portuguese national team players.

k0tSawJ.png

1st half

Minute 1: 30 seconds and Real almost scores! Christophe Barreau runs down the left and crosses, it goes straight at goal, and Altamiranda has to push it for a corner. It's gonna be a long night for Gaoussou Coulibaly on his wing if this is any indication...

Minute 1:

Ifezu63.jpg

And it happens again 30 seconds later!!! Barreau crosses and IT HITS THE POST!

Minute 5: HSV's turn to shine! Romero's ball finds Fabián López in the area but Benjamin Danso takes a hand on it!

Minute 20: After that wild start, not much happening now. This seems a fractured match, HSV have more of the ball and more shots but Real had their chances earlier on as well.

Minute 30: **** me, this is a boring half. 2 shots for Real, 4 for HSV.

Minute 35: REAL HIT THE BAR! That man Barreau again takes a corner on the left wing, Tunisian centre-back Tarek Mejri beats everyone to the ball but his bullet header is too accurate!

Minute 36: Blimey, Barreau is causing all sorts of problems. His cross from the left finds Rahman, Altamiranda moves out of his goal senselessly but the header goes high.

Minute 40: HSV HIT THE POST! Miyagawa thinks he's Barreau and pulls the same trick of crossing straight into the woodwork!

HALF-TIME: 0-0 in Marseille...

k0tSawJ.png

Half-time analysis

- So what do you think of this goalless first half here in Marseille, Luis?

c2c5xmi.jpg

- It's not been a match for the common fan, people like goals, they like lots of shots, but you can feel the intensity, the tactical chess oozing from every inch of the grass in here. And the three times the ball hit the bar and the posts... all hearts in Hamburg and Madrid stopped for a split second. It's in these occasions that you feel just the dimension football takes in people's lives, the abstraction that makes them forget all about their common problems. For 90 minutes, everything else is unimportant.

- Pedro, you think there'll be changes for the 2nd half?

z6yXz8P.jpg

- Yeah I think so. This hasn't been a great match, you can see that the players are motivated but the way things are setup it's just not working out for a great spectacle. However we know Henrique isn't shy of changing - sometimes too much - and I expect HSV to maybe even take some risks here. Real are playing a 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs which I think isn't suiting Hamburg, as they like to burst through the central area and the 2 DMs are shutting it off. I can see him either going more attacking or perhaps trying to exploit the wings a bit more, perhaps keep Coulibaly wider maybe.

- Nuno, how's the atmosphere down there on the pitch?

DssQOwo.jpg

- It's great, we can listen to some Summer music blasting out of the speakers and the crowd is chanting, I think this is a new Macarena remix. I saw Cristiano Ronaldo behind the Madrid bench supporting his former team and I think he saw me and smiled at me. Always a friendly face, Ronaldo.

VqX8egJ.jpg

k0tSawJ.png

2nd half

Minute 46: Pedro Henriques was right, HSV appear to be risking more and also telling Coulibaly on the right to keep a bit wider and play as more of a conventional right-back.

Minute 50: GOAL FOR HSV!!!! 1-0!! Mauro Romero passes it to Fabián López just outside the area and the Mexican striker belts one in!!! It's his 150th for HSV!!!

4zELwX2.jpg

Minute 54: Real switch to a 4-4-2. HSV decide not to respond just yet...

Minute 56: Real also bring in Paul Pogba...

Minute 59: Quick counter from Hamburg but perhaps a bit too quick and Mauro Romero decides to take a long shot when he could've waited a little further with loads of players rushing into space.

Minute 67: Barreau's dazzling runs finally make some damage - Gaoussou Coulibaly sees a yellow card after hacking the French winger down.

Minute 67: GOAL FOR REAL!! 1-1!! The resulting freekick is taken by Barreau himself, Furlepa is quicker than the keeper and tries to head it at goal, but it drops to Rahman who puts it into an empty net!!

L02wKOE.jpg

Minute 68: Time for some changes from HSV, finally. Jordy Ngongé is having a bad match, and is replaced by Rafael Rogowski. Mentality is dropped back to Standard, Coulibaly had been made back into a IWB for a while before.

Minute 72:

Ifezu63.jpg

So nearly 2-1 for Real! Gabriel Jesus is now on the pitch and wins the byline on the right, crosses it low to Furlepa who has a golden chance but Altamiranda saves it for a corner! HSV go back to a Control mentality not to be pinned back as much, and add "Retain Possession" to try to use all those extra midfielders.

Minute 74: Decent chance for HSV. A patient move sees Gord assist Romero, but the Argentinian shadow striker burst it high from just outside the area.

Minute 77: 2nd substitution for HSV. A 86% fit John Guadalupe comes in to replace a tired Maicon, Upamecano goes to DM and Guadalupe to CB.

Minute 81: MASSIVE chance for HSV, wasted!!! A quick counter sees Federico Gords pass a magnificent ball to Fabián López, he is one-on-one but fires it at the keeper!

Minute 85: A patient move finds Gords outside the area, but he fires it at the HSV keeper again. A few too many long shots, now.

End of 90 minutes: 1-1 here after a much more lively half. HSV have squandered the advantage, and are now knocking at Real's door again, but are unable to find a 2nd yet. Everyone's getting tired...

k0tSawJ.png

End of 90 minutes analysis

- 1 goal each way, and we're now into extra time. What did you make of this 2nd half, Luis?

c2c5xmi.jpg

- This is football. The emotion in every moment in the match, the will to win stamped in every player's face. Both are great, great teams, both would be worthy winners. But today, the winner is football and so are us - we get to witness more 30 minutes of this.

- Pedro, the players are getting a bit tired, do you think this will influence the match?

z6yXz8P.jpg

- Yes... and I won't be putting my stakes on HSV on these conditions. They've been playing a kind of high energy football in this 2nd half, and you can see the tired faces everywhere. They do have one remaining substitution but this is a problem for Henrique. The obvious candidate is the right-back Coulibaly, who has a yellow card and is up against Barreau. But, he has also been one of the best players on the pitch tonight, and he is much quicker than his replacement Ersel Gemici. And there's also loads of tired players on the midfield. But I think he has to bring in Gemici - what happens if Barreau gets a 2nd yellow out of Coulibaly?

- Nuno, down there, can you feel the tension on the pitch?

DssQOwo.jpg

- Hello, I can't hear you? Hello? F*DA-SE, I can't hear sh*t! Hello? You're telling me I'm on air?

k0tSawJ.png

1st half of extra-time

Minute 90: HSV waste their final sub. Coulibaly is off, Gemici is on.. No more carded players for HSV on the pitch...

Minute 93: Decent play by Rahman. Real's Dutch forward gets some space on the counter, takes it on his own, and forces Altamiranda to a good save.

Minute 102: GOAL FOR HSV!!! 2-1!!! They've been knocking at Real's door the entire 15 minutes, but not really finding much space, just passing the ball side to side. Until Fabián decides to put in another screamer, that is! Rogowski fed him with a square ball just a couple of yards away, and the Mexican striker belts in another superb long shot into the top corner!!

OIus5zz.jpg

End of 1st half of extra-time: Can HSV hang on?? Real will throw everything at them for the final 15 minutes...

k0tSawJ.png

2nd half of extra-time

Minute 105: A few HSV players are now looking nervous.. the keeper Altamiranda, the centre-back Guadalupe...

Minute 112: Not much going on here, largely unremarkable few minutes so far...

Minute 115: GOAL FOR HSV!!! 3-1!! It was looking like yet another unharmful passage of play when Romero passes to Gords, who plays a magnificent backheel into a suddenly unrushing Rafael Rogowski from midfield who is clear onto the keeper's face, and smashes it in!

VzUEEqK.jpg

Minute 119: It's not over yet! ANOTHER GOAL FOR HSV!!! 4-1! A throw-in by Miyagawa results in a sequence of passes in the area: Diana to Romero to Rogowski to Ersel Gemici who backheels it - again! - to an unmarked Federico Gords who puts it in! Surely it's the European title for the German squad!

GmQwJa4.jpg

Minute 120: Almost 5-1 as an unmarked Fabián López is fed by Gemici, but shoots straight at the keeper and misses what would've been his hat-trick! Doesn't matter, HSV are champions!

NWmbOna.jpg

k0tSawJ.png

April-May 2028

Competitions

F9ech8Q.jpg

Any hopes we still had of beating Bayern to the Bundesliga title were shattered when, at the beginning of April, we lost to both Mainz and Hoffenheim. These 2 matches having been conditioned by our preparation for Champions League ties vs PSG, it made it very clear which were our priorities: and this wasn't the league anymore. A win over Stuttgart masked some respectability, but when we went to Leipzig and lost again, 1-0, with a late goal, it was a dark day for the club: we were overtaken by Leipzig to 2nd in the table and Bayern became champions that very day thanks to our result, with still 3 matches to be played. However, we actually finished the league season in good form, beating Leverkusen, Wolfsburg and Dortmund - on a rehearsal of the German Cup final match - to overtake back RB Leipzig to 2nd in the table.

The cup was surprisingly one of our high points, as we were just magnificently inspired in the final stages. Faced with Wolfsburg in the semi-final, our lads trashed them 4-0 (Federico Gords was incredible, with 1 goal and 3 assists), and there wasn't much of a story to tell in the final as we also smashed Dortmund 3-0, retaining the trophy. Dortmund didn't have a good season but even then I never expected such ease...

tu0SDus.jpg

But we had made the Champions League our priority and was it worth it! It was drama from the first to the very last match in the knockout stages, I'm already including the previous tie against Man City here. Against PSG, we took a superb 2-0 lead in Paris in the first 30 minutes only to watch everything unfold in the 2nd half, PSG scoring 3 times and turning it around. I was shocked and PSG also succeeded in turning the return match into a very cagey affair, but Fabián - always Fabián - solved the match on his own with 14 minutes to go, scoring his 2nd of the night and the crucial away goal, 2-1 win.

Onto the semi-finals and now we had Liverpool to face. It was a surprisingly straightforward 2-0 win at home and I thought I had this covered for the 2nd leg. Only for Liverpool to equalize everything with 2 goals in the first half, and then add a 3rd right after half-time. Again I was utterly shocked, but our lads found inspiration in the final 20 minutes and 2 goals put us through to the Marseille final. In there - you've seen it covered in detail above - two astonishing long range goals from Fabián López, and two backheel-assisted teamplay beauties would give us a 4-1 extra-time win over Real Madrid to make us European champions.

QRGytLa.jpg

gdbtl18.jpg

It's not the perfect season but when we're finally European champions 45 years later, I think I don't quite mind the poor late season form in the league and the humiliation of finishing so far behind Tinajero's Bayern. For me this is a pretty big mark - it's actually the first Champions League I win in FM ever since the FM12 days, and the first time ever I win both the CL and the Libertadores in the same career.

The main goal in Hamburg has been achieved, but don't expect me to leave any time soon: I've spent a lot of time finetuning this club and squad to my liking, and I'm eager to, for a change, settle in a club and enjoy a period of playing football at the highest level with a world class squad. Also, there's plenty of things yet to achieve here: to retain the Champions League; to win it the same season as the league; to win Club World Cup and UEFA SuperCup; to win the Champions League more convincingly as this year we just lucked through the finest margins every round. How far can I take Hamburg in the next few years?

k0tSawJ.png

Season review 2027/28

A massive breakthrough for the club, as we reach an European final and win it 45 years later - the club's 2nd ever European title. HSV also retain the German Cup for the first time. However, the league is a disappointment as after selling our best player to Bayern, we finish 2nd but far behind them; and there was also the slight disappointment in the German Supercup against Schalke in the beginning of the season.

144 million euros in the bank...

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

Hgd8flV.jpg

I could pick Tinajero here in the last few spots, but I'm still bitter about it...

5. Masataka Miyagawa (DL, DR, WBL) - This was a great season for fullbacks, all of them being hugely impressive. This Japanese guy started off as Fillion's backup on the left but then I decided to use him as IWB on the right and he maintained a superb level of performance in either side of the pitch. That hat-trick against Barcelona in the CL group stages, too!

4. Wim de Jong (DC) - By now a regular here. He was consistent as ever, and just about beat John Guadalupe in ratings as our best CB.

3. Federico Gords (AMC, MC, ST) - If the fullbacks had a brilliant year, so did the attacking midfielders, any of Gords, Romero (18 assists!), Ngongé having superb seasons. In fact by the end I had figured out a way of playing the 3 of them at the same time. The younger of the 3, Federico Gords, was quite possibly the best though, specially after having settled in the Enganche role - 15 goals, 14 assists, and some superb performances in the decisive matches.

2. Russell Fillion (DL, WBL, DR) - Just about beat Fabián as the highest ratings player in the team (7.69). The Canadian had an insane year and by now he's clearly the best left-back in the world. 16 assists, and a huge danger down the left-flank.

1. Fabián López (ST) - In the duel for best Mexican striker, Tinajero might've won the league and the award as best player in the Bundesliga, but Fabián became top goalscorer in both Bundesliga AND the Champions League... and lifted that trophy. I reckon I just about picked the right Mexican guy... 44 goals in 43 appearances in his best year yet, including 2 screamers in the Champions League final. Legend.

Mourinho watch

dvHOFJn.jpg

For once I get one back at Mourinho - beating him to the European title. That being said, Mourinho wasn't exactly trophyless either... it was a poor year in the cups, but he did win the Premier League in utterly dominant fashion, 11 points ahead of City.

In the nationality ranks, I've now jumped to 5th:

ZWHbrqE.jpg

Career progress table

*** CLUB ***

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Español (Uruguay)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016     Segunda Div - 4th       
2017     Segunda Div - 1st                                                                        Champions, promoted
2018     Camp. Uruguayo - 2nd (Ap. 4th, Int. finalists, Cl. 3rd)                                  Qualified for Libertadores
Nacional (Uruguay)
2019     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 4th, Int. Grps 2nd , Cl. 1st)   Libertadores 1st Pre. Rnd      Lost Champions Playoff
2020     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 2nd, Int. winners, Cl. 1st)     Libertadores winners           League+Int+Libertadores treble
Twente (Netherlands)
2020/21  Eredivisie - 13th                                                                        Joined in December
2021/22  Eredivisie - 9th        KNVB Beker semi-final
2022/23  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker 3rd round                                             Champions
2023/24  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker winners, JCS winners   CL groups, EL semi-finals      Won domestic double+Supercup
HSV (Germany)
2024/25  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal quarter final                                          Qualified for Champions League
2025/26  Bundesliga - 4th        DFB-Pokal quarter final           CL groups, EL 1st KO round     Qualified for Champions League
2026/27  Bundesliga - 1st        DFB-Pokal winners                 CL 1st KO round                Won domestic double
2027/28  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-P winners, Supercup finalists CL winners                     Champions League + Cup double

*** INTERNATIONAL ***

Ivory Coast U23s
2024     Olympics - finalists

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

:applause:

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Well done!

39 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Great win! Love the layout too.

8 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Bayern are b******s.

Whoa...on my phone, so I didn't see the next page! Congrats, man! Epic!

Thanks all.

Enough FM for the day now, I've written almost a full book today. :D

Absolutely loving this thread and admiring your tactics and ideas behind stats of players and how to play them.

I've now become much more methodical and a better player having gone 14 games winning in a row last night with my Aberdeen save.

Keep up the good work!

10 hours ago, cplpeters1900 said:

Brilliant season, shame about fake Jesus but I think I would of done the same tbh!

Maybe now that we have a bit more cash we can try to hire him back. :lol:

6 hours ago, andychar said:

Boom! That's how its done! 

Question is how long do you leave it till you go to England and face Mourinho one v one? (In a fight to the death)

Eh, it's not really in my plans tbh. I wouldn't rule it out but I did plenty of England in my previous career doing a Dafuge Challenge with Stourbridge, and kinda got fed up with it. Although I didn't get to taste the Premiership.

I don't have plans post HSV for now, as I'm thinking of staying for a while. Maybe I'll go to Italy - it's one of my favourite leagues.

4 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Absolutely loving this thread and admiring your tactics and ideas behind stats of players and how to play them.

I've now become much more methodical and a better player having gone 14 games winning in a row last night with my Aberdeen save.

Keep up the good work!

I don't really have any specific ideas/philosophy about stats of players so I dunno what you're talking about. :D Tactics kinda just organically evolved throughout the seasons, I didn't start out with any particular intention neither. But I'm glad to help even not knowing how. :D

The best part so far, as a Barça supporter I really enjoyed that hammering over Madrid on extra time. Good suff indeed, Congrats!!

How are the likes of Fabian to win the golden boot? I reckon he must already be a legend into HSV history. How far is he of becoming the club's top scorer ever?

For your liking of youth players you'd enjoy a lot if your next move is towards LaLiga to a club with a "B" set-up and try to dominate the first and second tier with your club.

14 hours ago, Benjoe said:

That was great! 

Really liked the way you made the posts, and that you squashed Real in the extra 30 minutes was beautiful. 

I couldn't have wished for better goals aesthetically. 2 long range missiles, and 2 backheel-assisted goals. Lovely stuff from my players.

12 hours ago, 13-gigi said:

The best part so far, as a Barça supporter I really enjoyed that hammering over Madrid on extra time. Good suff indeed, Congrats!!

How are the likes of Fabian to win the golden boot? I reckon he must already be a legend into HSV history. How far is he of becoming the club's top scorer ever?

For your liking of youth players you'd enjoy a lot if your next move is towards LaLiga to a club with a "B" set-up and try to dominate the first and second tier with your club.

He came 2nd in the Golden Boot right behind Real Madrid's Dariusz Furlepa (formerly of my Twente). He was 3rd twice in previous seasons. A legend - nope, just "favoured personnel" together with Russell Fillion, Wim de Jong, Rafael Rogowski and... myself. He'll never get to anywhere near being the all-time scorer as that's Uwe Seeler with 404 and he's got 108 at the moment (in the league).

La Liga isn't impossible but I think it doesn't attract me as much as Italy. Barça might just be the one club that could make want to move there. I sympathize with them too and have never managed them in FM. It's a bit of an "easy" challenge but still a nice thing to do once.

A few glimpses of how we're improving as a club, the CL win has made us overtake Bayern in reputation!

XY219YW.jpg

tWQMA8H.jpg

Meanwhile, in the Euros...

zu0fFbo.jpg

:eek:

I guess that'll be the third Ballon d'Or for their insane striker Dmitry Makeev this year. He got 10 goals in the Euros, too. Maybe we can get one of our guys into the Ballon d'Or mix, I'm guessing Russell Fillion in particular has some chances of creeping into the top 3 as he's clearly got very high CA, but it's not impossible Fabián could make it too on the back of his 15 Champions League goals this year.

mLHirv3.png

Olympic Games - Cape Town 2028 - Squad announcement

And the team is chosen! Here's the Portugal squad for the 2028 Olympics in South Africa which I'm going to assume will be held in Cape Town:

kStgiJ9.jpg

I'm thinking of playing mostly in the Shy 3-Headed Beast as I'm doing now for Hamburg, although that may need playing a couple guys outside of position! As you can see I couldn't help picking out 2 wingers despite the fact I play with none, they'll be used potentially as fullbacks.

The potential starting 11:

1lADIpg.jpg

A weird name that doesn't make much sense. Barcelona poached him as a kid, now loaned to Porto, he already has a bit of experience at a very high level having played full seasons for Deportivo and Fiorentina on loan. Very good goalie.

CCPwPwH.jpg

He's actually a pretty fantastic fullback however the fact he "stays back at all times" makes him unsuited to be the primary attacking threat as CWB/A. I'm thinking of flipping the tactic left-to-right, make him a IWB/S on his natural position, with a winger playing on the right as CWB/A. Another option is to make him the rightback. Also plays for Barcelona...

41lbyRk.jpg

Our defence is definitely our weakest point, as besides adapted fullbacks, our centrebacks don't look like much. This guy playing on Ligue 2 can do a decent job I suppose.

fYu5jP8.jpg

I think he's slightly better than José Eduardo - probably won't stay at Nacional for long as he's got interest from Swansea.

1Y89WsA.jpg

If I flip my tactic left-to-right, he could potentially play out of position as a CWB/A rightback, as our primary wing threat.

g9QLiDn.jpg

A decent DM who also plays for Barcelona (there's quite a few Barça players here!)

uni1XNg.jpg

A decent all-rounder to play as CM/S possibly. Has played for PSG too in the past, but Club Brugge bought him.

RP2LaPN.jpg

This is where the excitement begins to happen, with one out of three over-23 players. You're all heard of Renato Sanches. He could be my CM/A. Doing the business for PSG.

SICO8xn.jpg

And what about this guy! His physicals are fading but I think he was still class enough to be called up and be my Enganche.

DGHj8NK.jpg

I'm thinking Shadow Striker here. Done all his career so far for Sporting, perhaps could play at a slightly higher level.

FBFwFVM.jpg

Upfront I couldn't pass up Portugal's finest star of the current generation at the moment. He's spent pretty much the whole career at Barcelona and is one of the best strikers in the world. I do have a great alternative option on the bench, a young chap bizarrely called Olexiy Kornev (with Ukranian 2nd nationality) who is excellent too - but not world class like this.

Have you guys heard of the 3rd Mexican?

u3iyjjL.jpg

What do they put in the water over there in Mexico, it's growing crazy forwards all over. :lol: And all in the Bundesliga, too. I'm thinking of whether to make a move but I've just hired a couple of forwards (although not as good as this guy), and the one guy I could sell to make space in this position (Jon Kitto) is still pretty badly injured, so it's just bad timing.

An acceptable if unconvincing pre-tournament friendly with a team unused to the tactic...

nwHrwWR.jpg

... which would be okay if not for this.

rYHoiBq.jpg

Crap. I decided to go with the other of the Silvas. Could play as Shadow Striker then and Jorge Oliveira coming in as Enganche. André Silva as Shadow Striker is perfect as it seems the AI retrained him to AMC:

geoeclG.jpg

... although I hadn't seen the "likes to beat offside trap" PPM before calling him up. That could be a problem - I think that was the main reason why Tinajero didn't work that well as Shadow Striker (got too advanced too soon, which I don't want when we already have a poacher too). Sigh.

.... back and forth between Germany and the preparation for the Olympics...

cRmUavO.jpg

A much better performance in a fitting friendly against the team I previously managed 4 years ago - I still recognized one player in left-back Gnahoua although this is now a different generation. We completely dominated, and are looking good for the actual tournament.

5 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Martinez is unreal.

I decided to hell with a sensible squad size and just go hire him anyway. I just don't know if I can raise the money yet (spent a bit on other signings already).

I envision Martinez joining, then playing mediocre, then you get a huge offer from Bayern and sell him to then see him become a monster.

Wait. This sounds familiar. 

k0tSawJ.png

June-July 2028 - Pre-season transfers

A considerable amount of money going around this time, but if you limit the list to first team transfers the changes were clinical rather than widespread.

Player sales and loans:

SYgoKtI.jpg

Total: 78M€

The first thing of note here is a bit of a renovation in our lineup of forwards, as we sold Gary Mackie - for 10M€, a slight loss - and Filip Bondzic - for 19,75M€, a massive profit. Neither were very good last year when called up so I thought they should be let go, as I found marginally better forwards in the market. Later the other 2 big sales would be of 29 years old centre-back Dayot Upamecano, who actually started on the Champions League final but usually was more of a backup - gone to Inter for 15,5M€; and Korean midfielder Lee Jong-Hyuk, sold by 25M€ (possibly extending to 33M€ with clauses) after just one mildly unconvincing season at the club.

An interesting development is we're starting to be able to sell some of our youth players that just won't make it. Ibrahim Koç went to 1,4M€, Andreas Bastian for 900K€, and free transfer low-risk punt Troels Harell for 1,1M€. I'm selling at around 20-21 years old when they're still in some demand with some value for their young age. Beyond them, we continue to make profit in some player loans, for example we got a very nice fee for backup keeper Mduduzi Mashilo (around 2M€ total all year) as well as for right-back Ahmed Abdel Aal yet again (around total 2,1M€).

New signings:

MYIgvZa.jpg

Total: 101M€

Just 4 players again, we're picking and choosing players that can genuinely improve us. The big deals here are for the 2 Dortmund players, we're spending a lot of our money in them, we're like the new Bayern!

YDx1uPb.jpg

He wasn't even remotely for sale, and I ended up paying a fee that was a million miles beyond his estimated value (33,5M€ + 2M€ after 20 caps + 10% profit of next sale). But I think he's completely worth - rarely have I ever seen such a complete 18 year old. Looks perfect for the DM slot, and can play CB too.

FXs7RXK.jpg

One of 3 strikers signed!! Hired for 16,75M€ as a replacement/improvement over the sold Filip Bondzic and Gary Mackie, the Spaniard is almost a perfect copy of our massive star Fabián López. However he doesn't have Fabián's consistency/enjoys big matches traits, so I suspect he'll be a little below him in performance, but still a very valid 2nd option.

5jCHv1Z.jpg

More of a long term prospect. I think he can become a superstar, for 5,25M€ he's more than worth it. The idea was for him to occupy a backup slot as he spends the next 3 years as such to become homegrown, however after hiring the next player I'll show, there's just very little space for him to have any playing time, so I'm concerned not loaning him out will stunt his development.

SzIWNSE.jpg

The big buy (45,5M€ + minor clauses). After hiring Mussin and Valdecir, I wasn't planning of snapping up another striker, but he's just superb. The fact he's already competent at AMC is a huge plus as he can then play as Shadow Striker in the Shy3HB. In fact I suspect he'll do better there than Tinajero did - he's lacking Tinajero's "doesn't enjoy big matches" trait and "likes to beat offside trap" PPM. I'm not expecting superb ratings - I'm coming to the conclusion my Shadow Strikers never do - but I do expect an excellent alternative to Mauro Romero who's now the player I most use there (despite being much more of a midfielder than a striker).

The main squad for the 2028/2029 season:

THp4TKV.jpg

An oversized squad right now that barely fits in 1 screenshot, I'm pondering which is the best way to cut it in size. Obvious candidates are a few of the youngsters. All would benefit from more regular playing time, but lads like Marko Uzelac and Amer Jahic are useful for having homegrown status, and foreigners like Jesús Cuesta and Valdecir can still get that status if they complete 3 years for us without being loaned out. I'm wondering what's the best course of action there...

6dupYLe.jpg

August is the month of the Supercups, we'll play Tottenham in the UEFA Super Cup and Bayern in the German Supercup. I've not won either trophy yet so I'd love to get them. Japanese fullback Masataka Miyagawa and new star Alfonso Martínez are out as they're doing the Olympics (and so am I, with Portugal).

6 hours ago, Benjoe said:

I envision Martinez joining, then playing mediocre, then you get a huge offer from Bayern and sell him to then see him become a monster.

Wait. This sounds familiar. 

He did join, as for the rest, well it could happen but I've explained above why I think it won't. ;) 

5 hours ago, DodgeeD said:

Congrats on the Champions League performance!

Danke!

mLHirv3.png

Olympic Games - Cape Town 2028 - Group stage

87qurXT.jpg

A truly fantastic start! A duo of assists by Renato Sanches and a hat-trick by Danilo Varela gave us a huge win over a team that could fight us for qualification. However there was one bad news from this match:

gyhCrQh.jpg

Which led to me calling up this player:

LatSZ2V.jpg

(There wasn't much available around when it came to fullbacks).

EjlXBCc.jpg

Our 2nd group match we won by one more, but I think I was much much more happier with a 5-0 over Costa Rica than a 6-0 over Solomon Islands. Given the enormous difference between us and the islanders, I think this was a rather mediocre result really. I was expecting like a 10-0 or something. Anyway we qualified right there.

BJ4B99P.jpg

... and the final dead rubber match, was surprisingly very dominant. 1st place in the group was for grabbing, but I didn't take this match very seriously by fielding some backups, yet they beat the crap out of Ghana pretty impressively.

4cnnjWQ.jpg

hWHXvOQ.jpg

We've been great so far, and I fancy my chances against Iran . However a potential semi-final against Brazil/Mexico sounds very, very hard. My new signing for HSV Alfonso Martínez is the top scorer of this competition so far with 5 goals for Mexico.

mLHirv3.png

Olympic Games - Cape Town 2028 - Quarter-finals

DLcmVJT.jpg

A largely dominant performance. Iran didn't attack much, but the rare few times they did, they gave us a couple minor scares.

csXoOHn.jpg

I'm not optimistic about this. Our performance has been superb so far, but we've not faced a proper good team up until now. And I've had a look at Brazil - they've got at least some 7 or 8 truly world class players. They're a level above us in quality tbh, even with the likes of Renato Sanches and Danilo Varela playing for us.

mLHirv3.png

Olympic Games - Cape Town 2028 - Semi-finals

2gaizmz.jpg

We did it! This was a great performance but also a very weird feeling match. At the beginning it looked as if every half-chance was getting into the back of the net, and this gave us an early advantage that we rested on all match. We had lots more possession, but looked more dangerous on the counter, and Brazil looked more dangerous when with possession.

TwXh28t.jpg

Italy played a crazy extra-time which is good news - our players are so tired we might as well play in wheelchairs, so our only chance is to have our opponents be completely knackered as well.

This is a familiar position - 4 years ago I was about to face Italy in the Olympics final with Ivory Coast. That time I lost, can I now avenge that defeat and take the gold medal for my country?

mLHirv3.png

Olympic Games - Cape Town 2028 - Final

1st half

Hello and welcome to the Olympic Games final. Let's see the teams that enter the pitch today:

lyMxvGf.jpg

Italy line up in a narrow 4-3-3 just like 4 years ago in the final vs Ivory Coast. The biggest star here is probably PSG's midfielder Fabio Faccin, valued at 75M€, but he is on just 81% condition.

Portugal has several identical problems in terms of physical condition. Due to being severely tired, I drop both fullbacks - José Carlos and the "fullback" Fernando Guerreiro, for Márcio Nogueira and João Charrua. Charrua is a natural AML but has looked spectacular as a complete wingback on the right in some stages of this tournament, cutting inside brilliantly. However against a 4-3-3 vulnerable on the wings I might just reverse the tactic sideways to make him exploit the flank on the left...

I also drop out our main forward star, Danilo Varela, with 5 goals this tournament, not fit enough so in comes Olexiy Kornev; whilst on midfield I still insist on Renato Sanches, just 80% fit, as a starter.

Minute 1: First glimpse of danger, and it's for us. A brilliant long shot by Renato Sanches forces Donnarumma to a great save!

Minute 3: Dangerous freekick by Mércio José goes just wide. Portugal on top at the moment.

Minute 11: A quick counter for Portugal gets Kornev in some space for a run cutting inside from the left, and he shoots straight at Donnarumma.

Minute 20: Portugal insists after a counter is controlled by the Italian defence, Charrua crosses from the right but André Silva fails to head it in. Italy hasn't had a shot yet...

Minute 28: Big chance for Portugal! A quick counter sees André Silva run down the right and cross low for Renato Sanches but he fires it straight at Donnarumma again!

Minute 32: Another good chance! Charrua cuts in from the right at lightning quick pace, finds space to shoot well into the area but it goes wide!

Minute 35: Charrua finds André Silva in the area, but, yet again, straight at Donnarumma.

Minute 36: Renato Sanches shoots from long again! ... and Donnarumma puts it out for a corner again! How many more chances does Portugal need to score?

Minute 38: Italy's first shot! It's a long one from Gabriele Pagan and it goes wide.

Minute 45: First good chance for Italy. Giacomelli crosses it to Mezini's head but Santos saves.

HALF TIME: Portugal are well on top here, the strategy to put in the fittest players rather than the most talented ones seem to be working. However, the ball doesn't want to go in, Donnarumma's inspired and our forwards aren't, and it's still 0-0.

mLHirv3.png

2nd half

Minute 46: Time for my first change, a very tired Renato Sanches - our captain - comes off for José Coentrão.

Minute 54: Italy seem a bit better this half so far, not many chances yet. Charrua cuts in from the right and finds space to shoot, but again, it goes wide.

Minute 55: Better now. Italy had a great chance to counter but it broke down, in the counter-counter Kornev forces Donnarumma to a good save, only catching it at the 2nd attempt.

Minute 60: Another long shot, another Donnarumma defence for a corner - now with Renato Sanches out of the game it was José Coentrão who tried it.

Minute 61: My 2nd switch, Enganche for Enganche, Jorge Oliveira for Mércio José.

Minute 70: Penalty for Italy!!! Italy's been playing higher and higher up and Rebocho trips up Pisapia - the ref calls for a penalty! And books Rebocho.

wc6susU.jpg

Pisapia prepares to shoot...

Nvm16tX.jpg

GOAL FOR ITALY!! 1-0!! Sandro Pisapia places it well and the keeper has no chance!!

Minute 72: We're kinda desperate now. Time to drop André Silva - on a poor day again, tbh he's had a poor tournament - for our big star Danilo Varela. Kornev drops from poacher to shadow striker. Time to also switch the tactic left-to-right, Charrua will now be CWB/A on his preferred left flank, to try to exploit the flanks more (I also add "exploit both flanks"), and up the mentality to Control.

Minute 72: Right before all these changes, one last glimpse of André Silva - finds Kornev unmarked in the area but the Portuguese-Ukranian striker yet again fires straight at the keeper.

Minute 76: Charrua on the left is starting to pay off. He wins the byline but Coentrão heads it wide.

Minute 80: As we risk more, Italy are also looking more dangerous. José Eduardo has a precious tackle in the area to deny Capecchi a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Minute 81: This match is mental now!! Kornev launches Varela, yet again Donnarumma solves it, and in the counter-counter Italy has a massive one-on-one but it's our keeper's time to shine as he denies Pisapia his 2nd!

Minute 82: GOAL FOR PORTUGAL!!! 1-1!! In the resulting corner from Santos' save, Portugal clears, Jorge Oliveira plays a long ball onto Danilo Varela and the Barcelona striker puts it in this time! Not even Donnarumma could deal with it this time!!

rojjiSV.jpg

Minute 86: Oliveira to Varela again! In possession play now, the Barcelona striker finds space, but Donnarumma saves!

Minute 88: This match is so open now!! Italy plays it from wing to wing, left-back Giacomelli finds space on his flank, Santos just about saves it!

End of 90 minutes: Bloody hell, has this match turned lively! This is now a very chaotic match, but we've managed to equalize and hold off Italy for now. Anything can happen..

mLHirv3.png

Extra-time - 1st half

Minute 90: How did we not score!!! Scenes in the very 1st minute of extra-time! Charrua crosses straight at goal, Donnarumma barely keeps it out, and Danilo Varela incredibly misses the rebound from centimeters away!!!!

Minute 91: GOAL FOR PORTUGAL!!!! 1-2!! In a quick counter Kornev finds Jorge Oliveira in acres of space, Oliveira finds Varela, and Varela holds it just enough to release for an also unmarked José Coentrão! Great team goal!

kNajWXs.jpg

Minute 96: Huge chance for Italy!! Cappeletti crosses for Capecchi but he heads it milimeters wide!

Minute 103: A good one for us. We insist and insist until there's space on the left, Charrua finds Kornev but it goes wide.

Minute 105: Red card for Gabriele Pagan! Italy are down to 10! Cynical challenge over João Charrua! The Chelsea winger is having a fabulous day either as left-back or right-back and has just winded up Pagan enough for him to lose his cool!

Extra-time half-time: Now ahead and against 10 men, surely the gold medal will be ours?

mLHirv3.png

Extra-time - 2nd half

Minute 105: I drop back the mentality to Standard and add "retain possession". We need to run down the clock...

Minute 108: Yet another Donnarumma save. This time after a Hélder Moreira long shot.

Minute 113: Italy are still dangerous. Sandro Pisapia is all alone but forces Carvalho Demetrio Santos to tip it over the bar...

Minute 117: Another quick counter for Italy!! Cappelletti finds Pisapia almost all alone but Santos puts it out for a corner! We shouldn't be conceding chances like this, time to tell at least our fullbacks to stay back more...

Minute 118: GOAL FOR PORTUGAL!!! 1-3!! Charrua dances down the left, passes to Moreira, Moreira finds Kornev who feints past a defender, and the PSV striker gets our 3rd!! Surely the gold medal is ours now!!

dYxxmyJ.jpg

FULL TIME: Portugal are Olympic champions!

LJcSN6C.jpg

9AFZVun.jpg

Archived