Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Salaq

How much do the various aspects of managing the team contribute to success?

So I've recently returned to Football Manager (not the newest version, but I figure there's so little change between the recent versions that it shouldn't matter that much for my question) and I've been thinking about something. I'm by no means a huge football pro in real life - I know a thing or two about the game, but not as much as many others here seem to. I figure that shouldn't be that much of a problem when playing this game, but at the same time, it feels like it's difficult for me sometimes to tell whether the specific things I do with my team are affecting my team's success (whether positively or negatively) or if they don't matter much at all. I understand that buying the right players and setting up a good tactic is important (although sometimes, with the latter, it's hard to tell whether I'm doing things right or not as well), but otherwise... Sometimes, I watch Youtube LPs of Football Manager and am left wondering: the Let's Players often seem to ignore or automate a lot of the aspects of Football Manager. Many times I see players delegating all their training to the assistant manager, or more or less ignoring the financials entirely. Maybe some of the stuff they do is simply not shown on screen, but at other times they explicitly mention they don't touch this or that mechanic or much.

So, I guess there are a couple of assorted questions that spring to mind...

Training, financial management, handling the media, managing the players' morale... how important are these to success, really? I'm sure they are not irrelevant, but how much more can you get out of your team by meddling with these and personally taking care of these kinds of things as opposed to just leaving it to your assistant to deal with?

Regarding tactics, it sometimes feels like all you need to do is set up one good tactic and that'll carry you, at least when I watch those LPs. I sometimes try to experiment with changing team instructions or formations when things are going wrong, but aside from doing Attacking/Overload when I need to score at any cost, it's hard to tell sometimes what effect things like this have, or what I'm doing right. I guess what I'm trying to ask is - what kind of changes should I generally consider first when things are going wrong (whether just in one match or over the season in general)?

Well, anyway, that's all the questions I can think of for now. I often see players who start with a team (lower leagues or higher up, doesn't matter) and just start winning and keep winning - and I do sometimes wonder what it is in particular that they are doing that makes it look so easy.

10 minutes ago, Salaq said:

I often see players who start with a team (lower leagues or higher up, doesn't matter) and just start winning and keep winning - and I do sometimes wonder what it is in particular that they are doing that makes it look so easy.

A lot of reloading probably.

In answer to your question, I think the biggest factor to success is signing good players. I see tactics that are so unbalanced according to conventional wisdom that they really should be failing. So, either A) they are reloading until they get positive results or B) having a top level squad means whatever you do will work.

Sadly I have my suspicions that it is a bit of both in a lot of cases, be that threads on here or YT videos.

I would say, the tactics and good (suitable) players are the basis of every success. Good players compensate weaknesses in tactics, good tactics compensate a weak team. But tactics and players won't bring you success if the morale is bad.

For example, I played with Chelsea and we had a good run of games. Win number 7 in a row was against Swansea away and we smashed them 4 - 0 (should have been higher). So after the game, I said to the players that I was delighted and got a lot of greens and happy players. 3 days later, FA Cup against League Two side and we lost 2 - 0. Of course I rage quitted, the goals I conceded were just disgusting and I also wanted to know the reasons, because this happend to me regularly. Morale and team cohesion was top, but the team talk feedback stated, that my last team talk got to their heads. This time, I said aggressively that I demand a great performance from them and we won 3-0.

Another example, if a striker hasn't scored for a couple of games despite getting chances, always talk to them. Soon they start to score again.

To sum it up, tactics, good players and morale are equally important to me. 

Thanks for the replies! I guess I was asking because I got into a really bad run with my team recently, despite having changed almost nothing and the tactics having worked before, and it kind of got me thinking about what kind of problem might be present when such poor runs suddenly start. Plus sometimes I almost feel like these games are designed for diehard football fanatics and more casual football enthusiasts like myself are prone to getting hopelessly lost when problems arise - it's frustrating when I've no idea what I need to fix, and when it takes half a season to experiment until I find a solution, my position can be in jeopardy as well. Maybe there's one question I should really be asking: Is there a "what to do if everything is going wrong" guide out there? (Though in my case, I guess I was lucky with the experimentation because I continued playing with a slightly tweaked tactic and I've been getting much better results... but this isn't always the case, often everything just implodes altogether.)

42 minutes ago, Salaq said:

Thanks for the replies! I guess I was asking because I got into a really bad run with my team recently, despite having changed almost nothing and the tactics having worked before, and it kind of got me thinking about what kind of problem might be present when such poor runs suddenly start. Plus sometimes I almost feel like these games are designed for diehard football fanatics and more casual football enthusiasts like myself are prone to getting hopelessly lost when problems arise - it's frustrating when I've no idea what I need to fix, and when it takes half a season to experiment until I find a solution, my position can be in jeopardy as well. Maybe there's one question I should really be asking: Is there a "what to do if everything is going wrong" guide out there? (Though in my case, I guess I was lucky with the experimentation because I continued playing with a slightly tweaked tactic and I've been getting much better results... but this isn't always the case, often everything just implodes altogether.)

I'm in a similar situation this season and it comes down to two things - Tactics & Man Management for want of a better phrase.

To give a bit of background on my save I was promoted three seasons ago to the Eredivisie probably a season or two early for the squad.  The first season in the top division started poorly and we were favourites to be relegated.  We picked up some points but not enough in the first few months of the season which made it clear I couldn't play the same tactics as we had been because the teams were far better than we had faced before.  I changed my tact, went more defensive & tried to keep clean sheets while scoring odd goals on the break as the team scrapped for every possible point.  We ended the season with 6 wins, 14 draws & 14 defeats which was enough to keep us out of the relegation zone and it was the draws that were important, sometimes deserved, sometimes not.

The second season I improved the squad, had got used to the strength of the opposition teams and we could again try to attack a bit more.  It ended up a successful season where we finished 5th.  Isn't FM so much easier when things are going well?

Now this season four more players joined to strengthen the squad and I was confident of at least a mid table finish.  The first half of the season has been nothing short of a disaster and we found ourselves adrift at the bottom.  I took a break for a week or so, thought about the situation and returned with a more survive relegation mindset.  I again went back to being defensive, scrapping for every point and with seven games to go we are one point above the relegation zone although its really tight between the bottom seven or so teams, hopefully we can survive.

Basically it comes down to first understanding how your team is perceived by others (opposition, your own players, the media).  This gives you a baseline for what to expect and helps you balance your team talks & media comments - ie the man management side.

If you are expected to lose a match and your team play ok and lose 1-0 or 2-0 its frustrating but shouting at them won't help.  Keep morale & confidence up by a "Unlucky guys" and don't set high expectations by demanding wins before a match.  There is a time to shout at your team but its not when morale & confidence is low.

On 2.3.2017 at 12:15, Craigus89 said:

A lot of reloading probably.

No, not really. There is and has always been two distinctive schools of playing coming about by that both ME and AI decision making (or lack thereof) can be exploited still up to the point that AI opponents are on the backfoot with significantly better players (no matter how focused and confident those are). F'r instance, flooding the central areas is pretty effective on this one for a host of reasons, and the AI would never spot it to boot if an opponent would do it. As that brings fantastically results without necessarily contributing much, it's naturally pretty popular and a viable way of having fun. It is just worth keeping that in mind when watching anybody play on the Tube or anything, because at that point yes, the impression is the game was all about "tactics".

In generally, the thing goes as follows:

- By and large, the better equipped side wins more often than not
- Coherent tactics and match management can turn some draws into wins/losses into draws, i.e. getting you the extra points to overperform
- Decent man management keeps the squad focused/motivated which helps also
- Both of the former can help extending streaks / getting out of a bad one
- However, a badly managed side (man management, tactics, etc.) can make a side underperform across the shop

The general order would be, assuming the AI decisions were up to your par (and your tactics not illogical/full of basic holes):

1) Player quality
2) Tactics
3) Man management

Edited by Svenc