Rise to the Top [FM 2017]

tastaiwan

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

h4rNUF0.png

lHBeMyK.jpg

ghuWZ9H.jpg

Everything basically went how I expected. Good teams beat us, we beat bad teams. Nothing out of the ordinary.

TRANSFERS!

Out - Giannis Syriopoulos - I got him back in my Championship days, but the second he got good he got swoopered away. Can't I just keep a good player for once? I get that I don't have the reputation, but I hate it when the big clubs steal my catches. My mind brings me back to Neil Moss from my last journeyman, when Man City came in and took him, but immediately ruined him by not letting him play. Oh Siri...why must you be like this? At least I'm in his favoured personnel.

In - Wenderson Galeno - Half the team came to me crying when Syriopoulos left, and I can see why. This is to appease them on the left wing, but I suspect I need a proper player to make everyone happy. Thing is, I'll have to wait until the summer to do that because I just don't have the money for a big target.

In - Tomaz Murko - Nothing significant, you might hear about him later.

In - Lucas Dalara - F*CK YES! This is all I've wanted since I saw his beautiful face, and I heard him calling to me (he was actually only slightly interested in joining us so my guess is a big club will steal him). We've bloody got him. Poor Sofu Ozdugan, I don't know how to break it to him that he's become a backup. He had so much potential...

X0cVcDp.jpg

@tastaiwan as we have already nicknamed one of your players, how about Helmut for Salvatore Lotti? 

Dalara!!! Perfect sweeper keeper man. But yeah sad for Ozdugan. How 'bout sending him to Africa, more specific Swaziland on loan? :D 

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

@tastaiwan as we have already nicknamed one of your players, how about Helmut for Salvatore Lotti? 

Dalara!!! Perfect sweeper keeper man. But yeah sad for Ozdugan. How 'bout sending him to Africa, more specific Swaziland on loan? :D 

I really like Lotti's name, I think I'll keep it like it is. Ozdugan will stay and probably play one ever four or five games, I don't want him to stagnate...even though I know he will. Maybe a loan move is the right thing to do.

h4rNUF0.png

I needed to satisfy Abdou Diakhate's wishes to sign a new attacker. Wasn't sure what to do so I just asked him who I should sign, and he didn't disappoint.

In - Khouma Babacar

gILARqv.jpg

We somehow overturn the deficit in the second leg in spectacular fashion, outshooting Dinamo Kyiv 26 to 3. Don't know how we're lasting so long but we are. We've also hit an absolute trash run of form in the league, and I'm starting to look into a formation/tactic change to try and revitalize our efforts.

Also, a few people leaving the club.

Eddie Nketiah to Millwall

Maurizio Piazza on loan to Sheffield Wednesday

Matt Macey to Derby

zleByfw.jpg

h4rNUF0.png

EbSUznI.jpg

We ended the season with a bang, and got a reward for it too. The form coming into April was not very hopeful, but things turned around quickly, ending the season with a solid win against Tottenham. We got quite far in the Europa League, so I don't mind that. Salvatore Lotti and Tony Morales are getting goals left and right, they'll definitely feature next season.

S8kalDE.jpg

Oh, and we managed a final matchday hop into Europa League spots, so things are looking great. I think we'll get a decent transfer budget, so hopefully I can attract a world beater. Doubt it. I'll have to settle for wonderkid.

Solid last 5 matches to bring home the 6th place. 

Also impressive that you got past Fiorentina with a 4-0 win. Liverpool were too good, but it doesn't seem like you were that far off. 

Your defence this season looks to have been solid. Top 3 in goals conceded and 6th placed is nice, if just someone would help Salvatore (Helmut) Lotti with scoring goals!

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

Solid last 5 matches to bring home the 6th place. 

Also impressive that you got past Fiorentina with a 4-0 win. Liverpool were too good, but it doesn't seem like you were that far off. 

Your defence this season looks to have been solid. Top 3 in goals conceded and 6th placed is nice, if just someone would help Salvatore (Helmut) Lotti with scoring goals!

I'm thinking of buying a solid midfielder instead. Lotti had a great season, I think he just needs someone who can bring him the ball.

h4rNUF0.pngjT0vOcV.jpg

On joint business with the two teams, got a bit done between the games...and with that I mean a crap ton.

I still can't attract any stars, so I've just a step or two below that.

Out - Sofu Ozdugan - To Olympique Lyonnais - Sad about this one, didn't want him to leave but his agent requested that he be allowed to talk to the team. I've got a replacement though, two good keepers this coming year, Dalara and...well, you'll see.

DvH23wW.jpg

We get past Svoboda's Czech Republic with relative comfort to move on to the expected finish of the Quarter Final.

Out - Baptiste Santamaria - To Vit. Guimaraes - He never truly belonged in this squad, he was more of a temporarily void filler.

In - Milos Gojkovic - From Buducnost - Arranged transfer from last year, another future player.

In - Filippo Paci - From Hertha Berlin - Rotation option to switch off with Lotti.

In - Adriano - From Hearts - Filling the full back positions with some much needed quality.

In - Bryan Perez - From Santos Laguna - Surprised we got an Ecuadorian, usually I get the crap with work permits and don't bother with South Americans, but they were willing to let this guy into Britain. I think I got soft Brexit, so that helps. He's the other keeper I mentioned earlier.

In - Jaroslav Kares - From Stade Rennais FC - When you're dealing with as many transfers as I was, you can lose track of what you need and what you already got. Whoopsie daisie, I got myself another left back alongside Adriano, and I still have Persson from last year. Yeah...

Out - Gerard Anderson - To Sheffield Wednesday - Used to be a good prospect, but the quality in this squad is increasing rapidly and I don't have space for him.

qHdBUbK.jpg

Meanwhile I'm still juggling the Euro Cup, and we edge past Portugal in a tight result.

In - Karim Essifi - From Leicester - I got a notification that this is apparently the biggest transfer ever for a Tunisian player. Good for us.

In - Alvise Mortati - From Udinese - Needed center back. Got a center back.

WVm8PsA.jpg

With an easy semi final, we move on to the final, where we'll face Italy!

h4rNUF0.png

Transfers

In - George Raduta

In - Luis Roldan

Out - Orjan Nyland

nltegJy.jpg

KZShfG2.jpg

At least they've updated their expectations a little.

Squad

fSgubFJ.jpg

Keeper - Lucas Dalara

Keeper - Bryan Perez

Right Back - Karim Essifi

Right Back - Matias Rodriguez

Left Back - Jaroslav Kares

Left Back - Adriano

Left Back - Sebastian Persson

Center Back - Diogo Queiros

Center Back - Miguel Lopes

Center Back - Alvise Mortati

Something Somewhere - Paddy McNair

Attacking Mid - Adam Phillips

Center Mid - Abdou Diakhate

Center Mid - Vicente Castro

Attacking Mid - George Raduta

Right Wing - Wenderson Galeno

Right Wing - Bart Skrtel

Left Wing - Toni Morales

Left Wing - Luis Roldan

Forward - Khouma Babacar

Forward - Salvatore Lotti

Forward - Filippo Paci

orkfvuu.jpg

I've got a ton of job offers, Spain, Italy, RB Leibzig, and Juventus, but I've kinda promised myself to win the Champions League with Blackburn first so that's off the table for a few years.

October 2024

Italy 2-0 England

Poor result, we should be doing a lot better if we want to be thinking about the World Cup.

England 2-0 Switzerland

We regained a little composure, but winning every game is on my mind.

5QDB8EJ.jpg

The Premier League has been going splendidly, but otherwise we're stalling. The Europa League has been a poor campaign and we might drop out and focus on the league instead. Middlesbrough gave us a pretty good challenge too.

nJbtJoi.jpg

dJ6S4Se.jpg

epOlEFU.png

I figured it's a journeyman save, and there's no point to that if I stay at the same club for ages and ages. I should have waited for the summer but things weren't going as well as I was hoping at Blackburn due to a bad transfer window. Not enough reputation over there.

yASuFAM.jpg

FoCwPHr.jpg

EQOueTo.jpg

gAkxiJH.jpg

GK - Ralf Fahrmann

GK - Marius Muller

RB - Lukas Klostermann

CB - Arkadiusz Hempel

LB - Marvin Plattenhardt

LB - Jozabed Sanchez

CB - Lukas Muhl

CB - Damian Duran

CB - Antony Mauduit

DM - Christoph Kramer

DM - Jonas Meffert

DM - Niklas Dorsch

DM - Daniel Wojcicki

DM - Moise Jeanvier

MC - Raphael Guzzo

MC - Marciano Peelen

MC - Manabu Uchida

AMR - Dominic Koch

AMC - Maximilian Meyer

ST - Fabian Reese

AMC - Nadiem Amiri

ST - Davie Selke

ST - Sokratis Fourlis

ST - Carsten Alten

ST - Marc Buhrer

Good start so far at Schalke04! Too bad you signed some wonderkids over at Blackburn. Not intending to bring them over? 

Could you help me check how much did Davie Selke and Lukas Klostermann cost the club and when were they purchased? Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

May 2025

f7r36sB.jpg

6xFrLxF.jpg

KLY5Oum.jpg

UfPrlDy.jpg

Fabian Reese has been far and above the best player of the season, and the fans definitely know it. We move right up into that final green spot. Bayern was a rather...disappointing result. but the rest of the month was a splattering of goals that helped us in that final push.

June 2025

PYqD3kR.jpg

oWuj6V0.jpg

Business as usual in the qualification, things are going good here.

FR2Gil7.jpg

Now this was rather disappointing, tried something with the formation and it definitely punished us.

RAPfQAl.jpg

Back to the old formation and it pays off, we're off to a good start in the Confederations Cup.

KT7bGud.jpg

July 2025

cCyBp0b.jpg

Hbr2poI.jpg5DnyoZJ.jpg

With the Confederations Cup under my belt, I'll look forward to the World Cup before I most likely quit the England job. I'd love to do a ManUtd1 type of deal with country development, buying all the players from a country, but I'm not about that style. It sounds appealing, but it just ain't me. I'll focus more on clubs and building those up, with Schalke being my current focus. With than in mind, we've got some pre-season business to cover.

EzCYa67.jpg

There's definitely some questionable stuff in here, but that 10-0 stands out beyond it all. We should have dominated Panathinaikos and FC Sochaux-Montbe, although Man City was understandable.

crgRBBn.jpg

Overview

Q8YxWgE.jpg

Patricio Tenesaca - GK

Cristian Gonzalez Pardon - GK

Lukas Klostermann - RB

José Manuel Nieto - RB

Jozabed Sanchez - LB

José Savarese - LB

The two Josés on either side? Sounds like a plan.

Damian Duran - CB

José Frade - CB

I think I need to make it a goal to make a squad of just Josés....

Daniel Solis - CB

Matias Silva - CB

Daniel Wojcicki - CM

Manabu Uchida - CM

Aldair Bedoya - CM

Juan Acosta - CM

Nadiem Amiri - Somewhere

Davie Selke - ST

Sokratis Fourlis - ST

Carsten Alten - ST

Arnaud Pelletier - ST

German Elias - ST

August 2025

2Vd9bwH.jpg

In - Armin Jahic

hKiZ9gG.jpg

NV7nLdT.jpg

We cleaned up the last few friendly games tidily before moving into the competitive season. Velbert 02 didn't have a chance, with Sokratis Fourlis scoring 9 goals in one game. The game against Kaiserslautern was an extension of that form, with six different players getting onto the scoresheet to fling us straight into first place. The game against Benfica was rusty, although it was pretty even, but with a few tactic changes for the second half we could turn it around (changed two of my forwards to Complete Forwards). The game against Moenchengladbach was boring, and it took us out of first place. Hamburger SV was unremarkable and just served to give us points.

AHwZMaz.jpg

September 2025

Austria 1-1 England

England 7-0 Andorra

That edges us 3 points ahead of Switzerland in the World Cup Qualifier, putting us on track to make it.

FEZyBLW.jpg

We've had an almost flawless league season, with only Dortmund, the strongest of the four German sides we faced, thrashing us to keep us in our place. We rebounded with a dominant 5-1 against Frankfurt, who are early on having a face-off with relegation. Playing a rotated team against Real Madrid, we injure Mauro Icardi and take home the win in the process.

odJwOHa.jpg

I love Fourlis, definitely reminds me quite a bit of Syriopoulos, who arsenal aren't even trying to give proper playtime. Also, Dalara is available for 25 million. I'm in his favoured personnel, probably because I'm the guy who brought him to Europe. While it's tempting, I've already planned to bring in a right back and midfielder this winter, so there's not much space to do another transfer, especially if I want to let Tenesaca and Cristian develop in goal. It's so freaking tempting tho, Dalara's stats are incredible, I don't know of my trigger happy transfer finger is gonna fire.

January 2026

Sorry, did I say I was gonna show restraint in the winter transfer window? Apparently I accidentally lied. There were several outs to offset the ins, but we should definitely be making a strong push for the title now.

Tajei Simonsen - I couldn't resist a good Norwegian. I have a bit of an obsession with players from Scandinavian countries, I don't know why, but I needed a midfielder and this guy was up there, so I didn't even hesitate.

Antonio Carlos - In my squad, of the, what, 25 players, I think 20 or so are South American. I think it's because they're cheap and very talented, but my squad is chock full of them. Here's another Brazilian. After I leave Schalke, I think I'll start doing a nationality based transfer thing. It doesn't matter where I am, I just pick a country I fancy and focus on buying players from there. It might be a region too, like only buying players from South America...are you starting to see where I got this idea?

Zulu - Another Brazilian, love his name, although saying he's a world-class midfielder might be a bit of a stretch.

Alexander Ambos - I've had an eye on this lad since he was 17/18/19, back when I was still at Blackburn. I've finally fulfilled my dream of bringing him to my club.

Youngsters:

Estiven Hinestroza - Colombian

Jefferson Dajome - Colombian

Two more Colombians didn't get brought in because of holdups in contract talks.

Shingo Fukuda - I feel like Arsene Wenger. Is there still time for fourth?

PBpUbV8.jpg

Good stuff.

ggkiyjC.jpg

That CHL group is just brutal stuff. Had you beaten Basel you'd been first or second through the group.. :(

Your signings are really great - I like them all very much!

Antonio does look like a lady, though. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Had you noticed it before I said it? :D

Nah, the only face I've really looked at is Dalara, he has beautiful hair...I might do a yearly Dalara update just so I can see what he's up to. Hrs been unhappy at Blackburn for a year now, and despite interest from Dortmund he's still there...I think someone has so save him...

8 minutes ago, tastaiwan said:

Nah, the only face I've really looked at is Dalara, he has beautiful hair...I might do a yearly Dalara update just so I can see what he's up to. Hrs been unhappy at Blackburn for a year now, and despite interest from Dortmund he's still there...I think someone has so save him...

No surprise you are admiring his hair when your manager is bald asf. :lol: 

You gotta save him - for his beautiful hair if nothing else!

I'm taking executive action and changing this save into a national development save. What that means for me short-term is to come, but basically on both a club and national never I'm going to try and bring a lower down country to the front of the world. I've got to do the World Cup first though.

April/May 2026

kf7dXAn.jpg

KzZItX7.jpg

Cut it close with that tie at the end, but we won the league! Great stuff from the squad, I think the additions of Ambos and Zulu really helped halfway through.

RXVlWpJ.jpg

Of course, I do want to take this save in a new direction; I want more of a purpose than just winning. So I'm going to take a double-jointed approach, very similar in what I've seen in some other career updates, to bring a not-so-good nation up to speed with the good ones. But since I spent a lot of time building up the squad at Schalke and making sure the squad was fit to win and grow, I can't quite do what I'm trying to do at Schalke without selling the players I brought in, which I really didn't want to deal with. As a result...

3i3UQcJ.jpg

I'll look for a job following the World Cup and start from scratch.

World Cup Group Stage 2026 (and friendlies)

rQNfJTY.jpg

nZVfnu8.jpg

ucZb1n3.jpg

D8ekym4.jpg

QKKQcDC.jpg

So far everything's good in the hood, with Switzerland being to only decent challenge so far. Things should heat up as we move into the knockout stages. First round is against Denmark.

6oQFprk.jpg

Archived