Stuck in Vanarama North, need help

So I'm in the 6th season of my Salford career (original i know) and have been stuck in the Vanarama National for a few years, been close to giving up on this career multiple times as it feels like it has stagnated. So in my first season I was promoted playing a 4-3-3 narrow formation with 2 defensive forwards, and a similar midfield to how I have it now. This slowly changed into a 4-3-1-2 in my first couple years in the VNL as my forwards decreased in stats and I brought in a very good AM (he's left now). I got up to 3rd using this tactic but lost in the playoffs so decided to pivot to the tactic I am currently on. I have always thought its better to go out and attack and score lots since I have a very defensive back 4. I have a fairly high rated starting line-up most of which are the team who almost got promoted, and although my expectations are to finish mid table I really feel the team is good enough to go up. Have included the squad, my last three seasons and and idea of the tactic I'm playing, any help would be hugely appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.55.55.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.56.05.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.02.33.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.07.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.07.23.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.07.45.png

You've selected a very forward thinking mentality that comes with a high tempo to begin with, you've got two wingers and a AF who will look to drive forward with the ball but then to work it into the box.  Your asking them to also retain possession with this super risky mentality and high tempo, with Vanarama National players!

I'm going to guess your issues are one of a combination of:

1. Not having the technical/mental abilities to play at such a high tempo + retain possession
  2. Attackers isolated due to the forward thinking + high tempo
  3. Your FBs will offer no support for the wingers to recycle possession to, but might not try to do that anyway due to the attacking mentality.

I would try to decide how you want to play, do you want to play risky high tempo football or do you want to play possession football? What are your players (relative to there level) good at?

10 minutes ago, MichaelSlavin98 said:

This was the formation I used when i got second (Swap target man for defensive forward, that's a personnel thing atm) 

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.40.26.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.40.42.png

I prefer this formation.. does it have better results? The TIs suit the formation more as it makes sense to play a bit slower and keep the ball ... but in the other tactic its confusing to have wingers who by nature cross and dribble... but then tell the team to retain possession (quashing that urge to bomb forward and whip balls in)

you could definitely get away with changing the DLP to a cm attack as you only have one attack duty at the moment. Or change the cmd to a DLP d ... then use the CM attack still on the right of the trio. If the full backs have pace... then maybe upgrade one of them to at least a support role

width will be an issue... but with the central passing unit you will dominate most games... you could use another tactic slot with attacking wingers and wider play for when you are drawing losing at HT/60 mins.

This is merely personal preference, but it might give you something to experiment with...

I may be wrong, but I'm going to take a guess that all four of your defenders are on 'Defensive CB/FB' roles because that's what they have the highest familiarity with. I'd urge you to put that to one side for a second and ask the question 'what do I want from my defenders?' Read the descriptions of the roles. Your defenders' role is to stay back and wallop the ball forward/away from goal as soon as possible. Yet you have an attacking mentality. That looks to be a little jarring to me.

For me, in your 4-1-2-3, I'd be looking for the duties to look something like....

GK

RB/S    CB/D    CB/D    LB/S

DM/D

CM/S    CM/A

RW/A                        LW/S

CF/A

That's not a hard and fast rule, but it's a default framework from which to start. Ignore the 'roles', it's just the duties I'm looking at. You can move some of these around by all means, depending on what you want to achieve, but make sure you have balance. I also like to get a piece of paper and write out what my 'formation' looks like in attack. For the above, it might go something like...

GK

CB/D    CB/D

RB/S                DM/D                LB/S

CM/S       

CM/A           LW/S

RW/A              CF/A                            

It's not an exact science, but you can see how the players move off the ball when you're looking to attack. In your 4-1-2-3 at the top, I don't see a huge deviation from the defensive formation, with the only real exception of the BBM, and that's a problem. It's all a bit static.

Your 4-3-1-2 lacks width in the attacking phase. It's already been mentioned that you could have an Attack duty from deeper in midfield, but I'd also want one full back on support and one on an attack duty. If not, then two WB/S would suffice. Your midfield needs wide outlets and DFBs aren't really going to offer it.

The best advice I can give you though is that when you've decided upon how you want to play, read up on some of Cleon's 'Art Of...' threads. They give some excellent insight on how to achieve a certain style of play.

I can certainly sympathise though, lower league stuff can be tough when you have to win the division to escape.

I agree that your 4312's instructions look more sensible, still very risky and will lack width with those FB.

Looking at your results it looks like you score plenty, only a few games due to you fail to get a goal so i'd look at how to improve the defence.

I would maybe try:

1. Switch to Control mentality as your starting point.  Slightly lower risk taking, not quite as focused on playing forward.
  2. Keep tempo and width at default.
  3. Use PI's on the AML, AMR and ST to encourage them to close down/tackle since they are positioned high up the field.  Adding TI to close down more would encourage the whole team who could get dragged out of shape.
  4. Even if the FBs are limited in attacking you could still use them as FB-S to provide a bit of width and just tell them to Fewer Risky Passes.  Work Ball Into Box would reduce there crossing but you could even tell them specifically to cross less to.

Thanks for the tips everyone taking them all into account! Played 3 games since, switched to 4-3-1-2 and putting the defenders onto two CB-D and one FB-S and one FB-A. Was working really well early on, dominating highlights and possession but just my luck, first game trying it out my right back gets a red card, and 3 players get bloody injured! So drew one, lost one and won one quite convincingly, things definitely on the up though.

@MichaelSlavin98

I would have a good look at @ajsr1982 post; it consists of all the information you need to turn things around! Besides roles and duties, you may want to have a look at your mentality and shape. You can see them as risk indicators, so at the moment you play very high risk football --> Attacking + Fluid. 

I would tone this down a little bit and try to play some games without any TI's. Maybe start in the middle with Standard and Flexible and take it from there. 

Archived