How many stars

Star ratings, as I understand it, are relative to the strength of your squad.

Five full gold/black stars is the highest potential ability in your squad, half a silver star the lowest current ability.

In other words, if you dropped Messi into your League One team, you'd find the star ratings of all of your players go down. If you have lots of two star players in your team, it just means you have some players that are quite a lot better than others.

1 hour ago, ajsr1982 said:

Star ratings, as I understand it, are relative to the strength of your squad.

Five full gold/black stars is the highest potential ability in your squad, half a silver star the lowest current ability.

In other words, if you dropped Messi into your League One team, you'd find the star ratings of all of your players go down. If you have lots of two star players in your team, it just means you have some players that are quite a lot better than others.

i think it is bench marked against the division as well to some extent... i.e. in my Bournemouth u18 squad i don't have any 5 star players... i have a 3 star potential ... a lot of 2 star potential ... and some 1 star... if it was just bench marked in my team ... that 3 star player would be a 5 star as he is my best?

Stars aren't important, they're just an opinion by your staff and often misleading and inaccurate, I'd concentrate more on attributes and how well players play.

The only thing you need to know about stars is that they're always relative. To your squad, to the other teams in your division, to the particular role you chose a player for, etc. And they swing quite a bit depending on whether your player is overrated or underrated by your staff (usually after good or bad periods of form). They're just a vague indication of overall how good a player is in a position or role, and no more than that.

9 hours ago, Ciderarmy said:

Hi everyone just a quick question if this makes sense how many stars should players have in the first team.

For instance in my fgr team in league one due to having no money quite a few players only have 2 stars is this good or bad.

Stars are only important when you want to compare your players to other players in the same squad. They act to let you know how"

1. How they compare to each other in terms of current ability and how much potential they have for improvement.

2. Stars are something the scouts/coaching staff can do in their spare time, cos apart from training we don't need them very much

When it comes to deciding who should play and who shouldn't Stars don't play any part. The closest you may come to is the Role recommendation from the coach, and even then that's contingent on the quality of the assessor. In most cases its nice to look out for player development but completely unnecessary when determining whether any player is better than the rest. I have a 2 star player in a Serie A team that hails from Scunthorpe and put in a 7.0 in a champions league final as a defender compared to his 4 star brother in defence. If I had decided to choose players through stars, chances are that player wouldn't have played.

IMO the star system should be abolished from future versions of FM. Outdated and it misleads a lot of players. You don't here scouts of clubs or managers rating players by stars in real life.

Players of the game should use the scouting system as already implemented in the game but make judgement from the attributes and action accordingly. Just my two pennies worth. Some will disagree my above, some will agree. If we are striving for realism, scout using your scouts and make your own judgements from attributes and detailed report.

41 minutes ago, OLLMEISTER1 said:

IMO the star system should be abolished from future versions of FM. Outdated and it misleads a lot of players. You don't here scouts of clubs or managers rating players by stars in real life.

Players of the game should use the scouting system as already implemented in the game but make judgement from the attributes and action accordingly. Just my two pennies worth. Some will disagree my above, some will agree. If we are striving for realism, scout using your scouts and make your own judgements from attributes and detailed report.

you cant on the one hand say stars don't exist IRL so don't use them... then on the other hand say use attributes instead! These are no more real than the star system.

IRL scouting team would be given a requirement... an approximate budget (so they know what kind of teams/leagues to scout) ... report back a preliminary list with reports maybe videos of players.. that will be whittled down to a shortlist where they go and revisit and pay more extensive attention... then that becomes a select few .... fees/contracts are discussed and maybe a transfer happens. Once the player is bought the manager will watch him in training and measure his fitness, ability and possibly some psychological factors... then decide when he can play. And from there choose his team on form, fitness, team gel, training etc.

FM is a game... we cant have an interactive conversation with our scouts/coaches... it has to be number/graphical representation and I think stars and attributes work fine.

Stars are the qualitative visual data ... 'in the coaches opinion who are my best prospects/best all round players... '

Attributes are the quantitative data ... what specific attributes do I need on the wing... who fits best for a particular role... it might be that a 2 star winger with 20 pace and 20 dribbling and not a lot else... fits my system/requirement better than the 4 star winger with 10-15 in every attribute

7 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

you cant on the one hand say stars don't exist IRL so don't use them... then on the other hand say use attributes instead! These are no more real than the star system.

Obviously we need some representation (as it is a game) I feel attributes would suffice, it would improve the users overall knowledge of scouting & signing players. Receive the info from scouting teams and judge what is needed via the attributes. Its all too easy to go 'Yep, he is a 5 star player, must be perfect for the position I want, ill go and sign him'.

The stars often misguide a lot of players, attributes would not do that. More in depth knowledge & decisions are required when just looking at attributes. I do not even look at star ratings. Total misconception IMO.

1 minute ago, OLLMEISTER1 said:

Obviously we need some representation (as it is a game) I feel attributes would suffice, it would improve the users overall knowledge of scouting & signing players. Receive the info from scouting teams and judge what is needed via the attributes. Its all too easy to go 'Yep, he is a 5 star player, must be perfect for the position I want, ill go and sign him'.

The stars often misguide a lot of players, attributes would not do that. More in depth knowledge & decisions are required when just looking at attributes. I do not even look at star ratings. Total misconception IMO.

how would you find a wonderkid then... they start off with terrible stats. so you couldn't use attributes alone, you need some way of saying this 17 year old has a chance in the right condition ... where the other guy has better stats now but no room to develop.

I see the stars as that mechanism ... its just a visual that says .. take a closer look at this guy ... then I delve into the attributes/personality/physical stature to make my choice as to which I think is the better option. without stars, it would become incredibly arduous trawling through all the attributes for hundreds of thousands of players

21 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

how would you find a wonderkid then... they start off with terrible stats. so you couldn't use attributes alone, you need some way of saying this 17 year old has a chance in the right condition ... where the other guy has better stats now but no room to develop.

I see the stars as that mechanism ... its just a visual that says .. take a closer look at this guy ... then I delve into the attributes/personality/physical stature to make my choice as to which I think is the better option. without stars, it would become incredibly arduous trawling through all the attributes for hundreds of thousands of players

Rigorous scouting of a youth player should give a detailed background report from your scout as well as a full current attribute list. You will have a pretty good idea of who has got potential from that information IE personality, physicals, mentality along with a few of the positional key attribute requirements etc.

You could also look at it another way, nobody knows how a young player will potentially turn out. Dropping the stars and scouting from background info & attributes would make it a lot more rewarding from my point of view once I signed & progressed that player. Like real life scouts/managers they make bad decisions on young players & waste millions.

I can see how some gamers would not like my vision, I micromanage my teams/players & love to play with realism.

I don't see what's the problem with having stars. There's nothing wrong with having something in game which is vague and can mislead the player. We can't have everything be clear cut or easy, otherwise the game wouldn't be interesting.

It's still a decent approximation of how good a player is. I heavily, heavily recommend making your own judgement on players but I won't completely disregard stars neither. On average, 4 star players will tend to be quite a bit better than 2 star players, and this is a decent quick way of overlooking how good your team is whilst you're unfamiliar with it. You just need to know that it will often be wrong or inappropriate for your particular needs, and be prepared for it.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

We can't have everything be clear cut or easy, otherwise the game wouldn't be interesting.

Stars make it easy that's my point, my vision of no stars makes it more difficult & requires the manager to do a lot more scouting & judgment for themselves. Just like every manager in the world you will make bad signings & good signings but my way would make it less clear cut of what to expect.

Like I say, just adds realism for me, I appreciate others like help and guidance which is fine, each to their own.

Thanks to everyone for there comments I was throwing the question out there as I scouted a cm maybe 3 times and all the reports including mental stats showed me he would be the pretty decent for my league so went and bought only for him to be rather fairly decent on 2 plus stars when my other cm on 2 stars is rated decent if that makes sense 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 07:05, Ciderarmy said:

Thanks to everyone for there comments I was throwing the question out there as I scouted a cm maybe 3 times and all the reports including mental stats showed me he would be the pretty decent for my league so went and bought only for him to be rather fairly decent on 2 plus stars when my other cm on 2 stars is rated decent if that makes sense 

Make sure you scout until full knowledge when possible, but also remember that either A) your scout could be wrong or B) your coaches are wrong or C) they are both wrong and instead make sure the player is good for your league in the attributes you want him to have based on the role/duty you have marked out for him.

Archived