Ramblin' Man

gavrenwick

So here I am, looking to build a career, and find myself having taken control of Concord in the Vanarama South. There are a number of things that need addressing before the beginning of the season, notably the lack of staff. At current there is currently only me and Andy Young, a 34 year old goalkeeper/goalkeeping coach who is our current first team back up. The scouting team, coaching team and medical team all lacked any personnel, so that had to be where my job began.

With a limit of only four coaches allowed, and myself and Andy Young taking up two of those spaces, that left two spots. I placed adverts for a fitness coach and for an assistant manager. Fitness seemed more needed in this division, the technical quality probably can’t be improved all that much at current. Adverts were also placed for a head physio, chief scout and underlings for both positions.

We have been given a predicted league finish of 21st, and the board literally, at current, just want to avoid relegation. With little else to do, might as well head home.

Got a good first look at the very small squad currently at the club. They are listed with age and position.

Andy Young (GK, 34)
Ben McNamara (GK, 27)
Rob Girdlestone (DR/C, 19)
Audrius Laucys (DR/C, 19)
Marvin Ekpiteta (DC, 20)
Steve King (DC, 32)
Mark Onyemah (D/WBL, 20)
Sam Collins (D/WB/AML, 27)
Jay Dowie (DM/MC, 24)
James White (MC, 26)
Tom Ranger (M/AMR, 20)
Joao Carlos (M/AML, 27)
Adam Topley (M/AMC, 20)
Stephen Cawley (M/AMC/ST, 25)
Emmanuel Ighorae (ST, 20)

The squad is fairly weak, and very understaffed. We lack experience in vital positions and once the new staff arrive will need to build up the positions as best I can with the finances provided. Laucys looks really talented, enough to the point where bigger clubs may come sniffing at some point.

Our first friendly of pre-season saw us travel to play Thamesmead, and we ran out 3-1 winners in an impressive performance. Emmanuel Ighorae bagged two of our goals in the first half, the hosts scoring in between those. Sam Collins tapped home the other. It was a good result from a side lacking in players, and while we currently have only one injury woe, we are still very understaffed.

We are still struggling to raise any interest for filling our staffing roles, so had to continue as we are. We welcomed Great Wakering for a friendly, and were held to a dismal 2-2 draw that did our confidence no favours. We went two goals up thanks to Joao Carlos, but conceded before half time, and then Girdlestone headed into his own net and gifted Great Wakering a respectable result. I am growing increasingly worried that the delay in bringing staff in has left us running short on time for beginning of the season.

Hey tenthree. It is nice to have some time again, and what better way to get back into something than with a Faramir/mark wilson-esque effort. Still struggling massively with the formatting on the forum. Any tips would be very welcome.

We finally brought our first staff member to the club, signing Sangi Patel as our head physio on a free transfer. I am relieved with finally beginning to add to our numbers, and have a few more interviews lined up.

The medical team is now finalised with the arrival of physio Natalie Fisher to work alongside Patel. Her arrival will be important in keeping the players off the table. We also brought in Lewis Abrahams as our chief scout, and he has already begun to impose potential signings that I will need to work through before the season opener.

I finally welcomed my second in command to the club, and in all honesty, it is a massive coup for us to bring Brede Hangeland in as assistant manager. His experience could be vital to making a difference and all the players were thrilled to hear of his arrival. Now we can finally begin recruitment.

Our third and final friendly of a thin pre-season campaign saw us travel to AFC Sudbury, and we were given a lesson in how to play. The home side won 3-0, with us managing not a single shot on target. Hangeland almost looked like he was regretting taking the role up with us when the third went in. the defending was abysmal. Brede has taken over training for the whole defensive side of the squad.

Its good to see you back Gav. As always with any of your stories I will be following.

As for the formatting the only tip I can give is when you copy and paste onto the screen you need to go through and delete a line between each paragraph. It is a ball ache but thats the only way I can think of getting round it. 

Unless anyone else has a better way

As we entered August, we finally began making waves on the recruitment side of things. Matt Murfin (MC, 19) joins on a free transfer after release from Burton Albion. He looks talented and can’t wait to fit him straight in. We also signed a third goalkeeper to provide back up and competition, Zeus de la Paz (GK, 21) (superb name) joining from Nuneaton on a free transfer.

Yet another addition as Stacy Long (MC, 31) joins for free, hopefully to provide experience to the squad. The fans were not overly impressed with his arrival, but as I stated to them, we need squad players and he can change a game at times.

A quick winger was on the shopping list and Lewis Abrahams came up trumps with the recruitment of Kelvin Bossman (AMR/L, 25), and while he hasn’t played at Conference level since 2013, has good pace for this level and decent quality on the ball. He joined just in time for inclusion in the match day squad for our season opener.

(19th) St Albans (2) - (0) Concord (4th)

Things didn’t go to plan on opening day as we travelled to St Albans with a disjointed squad who hardly knew each other, and injuries affecting selection. Andy Young had to take duty between the sticks, but he couldn’t keep St Albans out. Both goals were defending nightmares on our part, captain Steve King at fault for both after what can only be perceived as communication issues with Lithuanian partner Laucys. Matt Ball headed in from five yards after King failed to clear a cross, while Elliot Hodge slotted home after running into the area, not marked by Laucys, exposing defensive frailties. I literally have no clue where our left back was for the second goal. We had chances, but they were few and far between and were rarely of note anyway. Four bookings also showed our over eagerness at times, something we will need to control in the future before running a clear risk of getting fined.

(17th) Concord (0) - (4) Ebbsfleet (3rd)
With so many injuries, Ernest Tew (16, ST), our only current youth player, was promoted to join the first team as a substitute. And as expected, it made no difference. We were outplayed from beginning to end, Tom Ranger conceding two penalties in the first half alone that Aaron McLean (who I feel even at his age, is playing well below his ability level) converted both times. There wasn’t much chance of coming back from that. And then a Steve King own goal cemented our woe, and when McLean rushed away and sealed his hat-trick, I slumped back into my chair. It has been a tough old start to life with Concord already. We had one chance at goal today and Ighorae contrived to pull it wide when unmarked and six yards out. We are already playing like relegation contenders. Sam Collins picked up an injury, joining the other three on the table, and leaving us perilously short staffed. But there was no time to complain about the situation at hand. We move on to the next game.

Thanks Mark. Just got to get them prepped and keep them fighting each match. So hard in lower leagues getting the most of our some highly polished turd regens. 

(22nd) Concord (3) - (0) Truro (13th)
Ighorae 3
We couldn’t even name five substitutes for this game, but boy, we definitely came together as a group. Emmanuel Ighorae bagged a superb hat trick on a day that we just dominated from beginning to end. The second half could have seen us start on the slope to losing our two goal lead, but Andy Young defied his years with a superb save at his near post. Ighorae scored three identical goals, being played through on goal each time with a long ball. The win has given us confidence, but we still need to work hard, keep fitness levels up, and get more players in. Truro never really turned up for this one, it was easy work when the pendulum swung our way. We had enjoyed great possession throughout the game, so now we must make the positives continue. 

A new striker arrived at the club, and one with whom we are going to be placing our faith in to keep us up. Aristede Bassele (AMR/ST, 22) joins after release from Bournemouth’s academy, and spent last season with Welling. Alongside him was Albert Jarrett (AML, 31) who has joined to help combat the two injuries we have on the left wing.

(4th) Eastbourne Boro (4) - (2) Concord (17th)
Ranger 2
We were absolutely played off the park, despite starting our two new players, and just completely capitulated at the pressure of the Eastbourne attack. I had no clue how to arrest the destruction they were causing, and after Romain, Kayembe and Taylor put the hosts three goals up. Tom Ranger turned in two Jarrett crosses, but when the fourth went in, which turned out to be Kayembe a second time, it extinguished any ill placed hopes of an actual comeback. We wouldn’t have deserved it anyway and as reached the end of the game, we yet again lost a left winger to injury for the third game in a row, Jarrett being ruled out for two weeks. We were pretty much equal with Eastbourne throughout, but once again couldn’t convert chances. Ighorae was absent and Bassele didn’t impress, but I am keeping faith in the fact that we are still a young team with no connection just yet. 

Another set of new players entered the club today, and are probably our best signings so far. Paul Bignot (DR, 30) joins from Newport County for £2k, our record transfer being set in the process. He is a right back with ample experience, and will go straight into the squad. Kleyton (AMC/ST, 27) joins on a free after being released by Whitehawk, and hopefully his Brazilian nature will shine through. Our final signing, and the one who is going to be on the biggest wage, is Sigurd Schondorf (M/AMC, 19) a Danish youth player joining for free from FC Midtjylland after being released. He will be earning a massive £500 per week, and with that our budget has vanished. We are over budget, but if we can maintain a league status, I think that will offset it for us. The signing of Bignot saw the whole transfer budget gone too.

Deri Corfe
(M/AMC, 18) joins us today, signing for free after release by Man City. He is billed as being a potentially decent player by Lewis Abrahams, and I trust he has made the right call.

(3rd) Oxford City (1) – (5) Concord (19th)

Schondorf, Kleyton 2, Cawley, Murfin
We were absolutely rampant tonight, though it is annoying at times how we are very good or very bad, though this definitely seems to be a case of typical lower league football. All of the three recent signings made their debut other than Corfe and they all had absolutely fantastic games. Schondorf had to be played in an unfamiliar left wing role, though made himself known when we won a penalty and he dispatched it easily. Murfin and Cawley bagged two sloppy goals but I wasn’t bothered, and then Kleyton, starting up front, with Bassele on the right, scored a screamer late on before heading home a Bassele cross. The players had all played superbly, and hopefully we can carry some form now, though some poor defending late on allowed Smith to bag a consolation goal, though the team seemed to care little for it. The result, against a third place at the time Oxford City, was very much a surprise to all concerned.

(17th) Concord (1) – (1) Maidenhead (1st)
Kleyton
Welcoming first place in the league was always going to be a worry, Maidenhead in great form and pre-season favourites for getting promoted. We started strongly and eventually took a likely lead through Kleyton, finishing of a well set up move by Schondorf. The pair of them could prove to be massive for us this season. We just need to keep them wrapped in cotton wool. Maidenhead wasted no time in equalising, Rees Wedderburn finding time and space in the box between King and Laucys to finish with ease past Andy Young. The second half started nightmarish when captain Steve King was sent off for a second bookable offence, and we from there had to sit back and defend. Maidenhead didn’t take advantage and failed to even push us back, but our impetus had gone with the loss of the captain, and even changing to a back three to push up further failed to reap dividends, but it also caused no harm. A decent result that gives us what could be an important point later. Mark Onyemah picked up an injury that sees him ruled out for two months, though bigger problems arose when we picked up a £500 fine for picking up six yellows.

(9th) Whitehawk (2) – (1) Concord (17th)
Kleyton
King and Onyemah made way as expected, Ekpiteta making his first appearance, and Collins returning. It was almost inevitable that Kleyton would score against his former club, and he did that early on, forcing the ball over the line from a scramble of a corner. We didn’t really get into the game properly though and struggled incessantly at dealing with crosses. One such corner saw Ekpiteta give a penalty for hauling down Strevens, and West dispatched it calmly past Young. The veteran keeper had a nightmare for the second goal, and what turned out to be the winner, when he misjudged Germaine Ofori, whose shot bobbled up in front and rolled into goal. It came from almost twenty five yards and should never have made it past Young. We continued to struggle late on, Bassele finding space but eventually firing wide in what was only our third shot of the game. Tame performance and disappointing to end August in this way. We won’t be signing any more players as the budget isn’t there, so what we have now must do us for the season, though we can make changes as we go at risk of losing squad harmony.

Here is a finalised squad list:

Andy Young (GK, 34)
Ben McNamara (GK, 27)
Zeus de la Paz (GK, 21)

Paul Bignot (DR, 30)
Rob Girdlestone (DR/C, 19)
Audrius Laucys (DR/C, 19)
Marvin Ekpiteta (DC, 20)
Steve King (DC, 32)
Mark Onyemah (D/WBL, 20)
Sam Collins (D/WB/AML, 27)

Jay Dowie (DM/MC, 24)
James White (MC, 26)
Tom Ranger (M/AMR, 20)
Joao Carlos (M/AML, 27)
Adam Topley (M/AMC, 20)
Matt Murfin (MC, 19)
Kelvin Bossman (AMR/L, 25)
Albert Jarrett (AML, 31)
Stacy Long (M/AMC, 31)
Sigurd Schondorf (M/AMC, 20)
Deri Corfe (M/AMC, 18)

Stephen Cawley (M/AMC/ST, 25)
Kleyton (AMC/ST, 27)
Aristide Bassele (AMR/ST, 22)
Emmanuel Ighorae (ST, 20)

(16th) Concord (3) – (1) Welling (22nd)
Schondorf, Ekpiteta, Bassele

Our September started brightly, with Steve King returning to lead the way once more after his one game suspension. Schondorf is proving to be one of our finest acquisitions and he netted yet another goal, a fine finish from just inside the area. Welling struck back quickly, a loose ball squirming under Young and being tucked away by Lyle Della Verde. From there, Welling dominated but couldn’t turn that dominance into goals and from there we made it count. Ekpiteta mounted a one man charge, and bagged a fine headed goal from a Ranger cross giving us the lead at half time. Bassele finally found his first goal of the season, netting from just outside the area and celebrating like he had won a cup final all on his own. The win was important for us as it gives us some breathing room from the relegation zone, occupied by our opponents. We had soaked up a massive amount of pressure in this game and come out laughing in all truth.

(16th) Concord (4) – (1) Bishop’s Stortford (10th)
Kleyton 2, Schondorf, White

This was another fantastic win, but marred by a multitude of daft yellow cards that put a dampener on the final result. Kleyton was prolific up front, and along with Schondorf, form a fearsome pair. Kleyton opened the scoring with a clever little lift and finish after being played in by Bignot. He then bagged another, this time a header from a couple of yards out from a Collins cross. Schondorf tucked a penalty away in the first half too and we went in with a healthy lead. The second half was a bit more of a level affair, and the visitors bagged a comeback goal through Bradley Woods-Garness. The pressure ramped up slightly, and then the yellow card storm came through the stadium. Most of them were justified, stupid tackles and at one point two players just squaring up to each other. The joys of lower league football I suppose. James White finished the game off after some Stortford pressure, and we moved a few places up the league.

(6th) Weston-super-mare (3) – (1) Concord (7th)
Schondorf

We came crashing back down to reality from the dizzying heights of 7th with a defeat away to a well drilled Weston-super-mare side chasing the playoffs. We began strongly, but went behind when tom Meechan headed in from close range and then he bagged a second four minutes later, this one seeing him run onto it and slide it past Young who looked helpless. I am beginning to wonder if de la Paz might be the better option at the moment while we wait for McNamara to return from injury. Schondorf continued to boost his ever increasing value with a well taken goal from outside the area, and in truth, we might struggle to hold on to him beyond even January. Tom Meechan continued to terrorise us, and bagged his hat-trick with another headed finish. We had more possession throughout but couldn’t make anything happen with the ball. We worked hard but will need to tighten up at the back and prevent skilled strikers like Meechan running free and unkempt all the time.

Archived