Forgotten Rich Historical English Team

Hey guy's/gal's,

I want to start a new career in England preferably non popular teams in the premier league.  I'm looking to build a team that has a long rich history which is forgotten.  Would welcome some feedback. Much appreciated.

many thanks

England does a couple of things very well - one of which is marketing/not forgetting a rich history! You would be hard pushed to find a team with a rich history that doesn't mention it or commemorate it somehow.

The only exception is Milton Keynes, but their history is at Wimbledon of course.

The big ex-European champions like Villa and Forest might be closest in the Championship, along with Huddersfield and Preston as repeat English champions. There are examples of teams that have a rich history at a lower level (Wealdstone, Altrincham etc in non league terms), but any team that won major competitions is either still near the top or won't let anyone forget it!

Sweet yes yes I like the feedback, thank you very much.  Huddersfield and preston sound good.  Weldstone will be in the mix.

I am surprised that no tycoons have picked up some of these teams.  Not sure what lead to their decline but I will check it out on Google. 

Once again many thanks

13 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

While not as successful as Huddersfield, Leeds etc, Portsmouth would be a good team. Used to be in the Premier League and had some great players. They plummeted due to financial mismanagement.

I remember watching Portsmouth in my younger years in the premier league and fa cup many times.  They had the tools to be up there in the EPL.  As for Leeds there is no way in this world or the ones before more or after me I will ever choose that team.  I'm a die hard man utd fan from the age of 6. They got what they fully deserved, exit from the EPL, and i love watching them decline. :-)

On 14/02/2017 at 07:38, fmfan74 said:

Not sure what lead to their decline but I will check it out on Google.

Pre-1960s it was a lot easier for non-big city clubs to compete at the top level due to the maximum wage and 'retain and transfer' system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retain_and_transfer_system), which basically treated players as serfs. Even when these were abolished the playing field was still reasonably level - Derby and Forest won the league, Ipswich and QPR came very close - until the early 1980s, when clubs stopped sharing gate receipts with the away team. This was a huge blow to those clubs who didn't have big, full stadiums and inequality has worsened with the advent of the Premier League, Champions League and massive TV and sponsorship payments mostly going to the giants.

This is why Leicester winning the Premier League was such an extraordinary achievement. If they'd done it in the 1920s (when they finished 3rd and 2nd in successive seasons, missing out on the title by a point to Sheffield Wednesday in 1928-29) or even the 1960s (4th and FA Cup runners-up in 1962-63) it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Two historic giants of the English game that haven't been mentioned - Sheffield United and Wolves. But I think you should do Preston, the original Invincibles. I'd love to see them and Huddersfield in the Prem.

Wrexham have a great history with giant killings, promotions, titles etc 

You'll find them super low down currently but with the ability to boost their budget to ridiculous amounts with transfer clause selling in the first window you can build them very quickly on and off the pitch and bring glory.

I'd suggest Chester FC. They're the successor club of Chester City, formed in 1885, had a long history in the League and had some great homegrown players like Ian Rush, but then fell apart through financial mismanagement, ended up being wound up and replaced with Chester FC, who then got back-to-back promotions to get back into the Conference.

They're totally better than Wrexham too, @Welshace :D

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I'd suggest Chester FC. They're the successor club of Chester City, formed in 1885, had a long history in the League and had some great homegrown players like Ian Rush, but then fell apart through financial mismanagement, ended up being wound up and replaced with Chester FC, who then got back-to-back promotions to get back into the Conference.

They're totally better than Wrexham too, @Welshace :D

We had Rush too ;)

Nice to read about.  I done some google lookups on these teams and they had some inter extinguisher info about them.  One of the above teams had David moyes as manager.  Very interesting info.  I still believe man utd should have given moyes time.  The problem with man utd was that there was too much dead wood in the team that had to go but didn't.  They got rid of moyes and van gal whilst keeping the dead wood.  Rebuilding phase is not working well at United as mourino is finding that out.

Ian rush I wish he joined utd. But hey we all have our wishes. 

10 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Sloppy 7ths, and he failed to score for you ;)

Ok...

Wrexham...

3rd oldest pro club in the world.

World's oldest stadium that still holds internationals.

Countless international players from all nations have graced our fields, we've even had genuine fm superstar Cherno Samba turn out for us...  (and even me)..

Not to mention  Wrexham are well ahead in wins against your lot ;) 

Wrexham... the big club that never was.

14 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

Portsmouth won the league in 1949 and 1950 - now in League Two

They also have the dubious record of being the team to hold the FA Cup for the longest consecutive period of time, at seven years. They won the trophy in 1939, and it then wasn't contested again until the 1945-46 season due to the Second World War :p

On 2/14/2017 at 07:20, sporadicsmiles said:

Hudderfield are one of only 4 teams to win the league 3 times in a row in England. They are joined on that list by Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United. As a Terriers fan, you should definitely take them back to the top of English football where they belong. 

"where they belong" LOL

20 hours ago, Welshace said:

Ok...

Wrexham...

3rd oldest pro club in the world.

World's oldest stadium that still holds internationals.

Countless international players from all nations have graced our fields, we've even had genuine fm superstar Cherno Samba turn out for us...  (and even me)..

Not to mention  Wrexham are well ahead in wins against your lot ;) 

Wrexham... the big club that never was.

You have inspired me to a splinter game from my main save as Wrexham. Unbeaten after 5 games (although two bad draws in the last two). A transfer budget of 1.3 million O.O thought!!

21 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I was born in Manchester too, and my family are Reds. I do not even know why I started to support Huddersfield. Lets hope for a good match!

Every thing i click on is mentioning the 10-1. I was at that game . It says it was 1987-88 . I feel old :(  

Accrington? Founder members of the league for whom it didn't work out for. Now back in Football league after a long time in non-league.

Nice association with the afore-mentioned Ian Rush, too.

I think any team who are listed as foudners of the English league have a rich history for that fact alone.

Totally biased here, but Bournemouth have a rich history. We giant-killed ManU once! Joking, of course. But, nice club to have a challenge with, too. Can you play the way they do now and keep them in the Premier, or will you change the style and see what happens? Can you build them a rich history? Can you keep the club's ethos of a predominant backbone of English talent.

The biggest fall from grace currently in the game as a team to start with would be, I think, Stockport. They were as high as the Championship at one point and now find themselves in the Conference North. Other than that, and at that level, Darlignton 1883 and Bradford Park Avenue are former league clubs that had financial problems. Gainsborough Trinity were in the Football League once, but not for long. Depends if you'd want to start that low. From your original post I'd figure not.

But when it comes to non popular teams in the Premier league with a rich history (as per your original post), I think I'd have to go with Burnley or West Brom. Depends if you want to stick to your original outline of expand as per people's suggestions.

2 hours ago, burnley said:

Great team that Lincoln City. Should be in the Champions League. Top class players. Matt Rhead? Move over Diego Costa!

Yeah! No shame on Burnley, (maybe a bit), they have snatched a couple higher ranked teams than their standard on their way..

To get this far as a non league team was the first time in 100 years or something..!? Historical achievment, therefore they qualify for this thread! :)

I should have had a poll because now it's getting harder to choose lol.  Preston and Huddersfield are in the list for sure.

I didn't know that in England, teams shared gate receits with away teams.  Here in Australia we have a salary cap for all teams.  I tell you what the amount of teams mentioned surely growing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2017 at 07:20, sporadicsmiles said:

Hudderfield are one of only 4 teams to win the league 3 times in a row in England. They are joined on that list by Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United. As a Terriers fan, you should definitely take them back to the top of English football where they belong. 

They don't belong at the top of English football. No team belongs there, they are there on merit, not because they 'belong'.

On 18/02/2017 at 13:55, anagain said:

Accrington? Founder members of the league for whom it didn't work out for. Now back in Football league after a long time in non-league.

Nice association with the afore-mentioned Ian Rush, too.

I think any team who are listed as foudners of the English league have a rich history for that fact alone.

The current Accrington Stanley are not the same club as the original Accrington Stanley nor Accrington who were founder members of the Football League.

The current Accrington Stanley were formed in 1968.

The original Accrington Stanley were formed in 1891 and played in the Football League from 1921 to 1962. They ceased to exist in 1966.

Accrington were the founder members of the league having formed in 1878. They played for five seasons in the Football League before they dropped to the Lancashire League, only to dissolve two years later.

If you'd titled this ''Was a Massive Club'' we'd have a great debate between supporters of half the Championship Clubs. Leeds & Wednesday fans are particularly sensitive to these topics.

Try MK Dons massive stadium, big town, great academy.    

Archived