[FM16] The Saints Go Marching In (On Top of Everyone)

Keano16

@Keano16 Glad to hear it made sense. Also I must say that I, like you and @BoxToBox, am fond of the idea of all three defenders having the abilities of starting counters with one incisive pass!

That means he can still tutor a bit and then you have to bring him into your staff! 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

@Keano16 Glad to hear it made sense. Also I must say that I, like you and @BoxToBox, am fond of the idea of all three defenders having the abilities of starting counters with one incisive pass!

That means he can still tutor a bit and then you have to bring him into your staff! 

That's the plan anyway!

cda17d2ba86f0d4e77cd832289dfb0cb.png

Fabiano certainly stepped up in Ribeiro's absence. We didn't really have that many chances but Bonazzoli buried his header when he got the opportunity just before the break. We got a sucker punch right at the death when Menez equalised off a cross that I knew would come. Still, I would have taken the draw before hand. We move up to 11th.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Harsh on Fabiano after having such a cracking game.

I feel like he should have done better on it too, palmed the cross out into the path of Menez. Can't be too bitter though, we would have lost without him.

25e7d00bbba0bb20e3b6c6475edaba40.png

Awful, I don't know what to do against better teams. The stats were relatively even at halftime but Milan destroyed us in the second half. The second goal was a 35 yard strike however. The worst thing is that we have Juve up next in four days. :(

d1f4e263662cb20ddab563a016b5e8c6.png

We matched them and probably should have won. I feel slightly disappointed to concede the goal like we did, scrappy to say the least. Probably wasn't Juve's strongest team but hey, we put it up to them and we're not expected to win these games anyway.

35638c25325887ba97f7bc4e6ecc9849.gif

28 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Ahhh, bummer, hopefully things pick up after this run.

16 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Good times will come to you soon, mate! Just gotta get over some hurdles first. 

Hopefully guys, but I'm not optimistic. Nothing I try to do ever seems to work and it's frustrating as hell.

10 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Hopefully guys, but I'm not optimistic. Nothing I try to do ever seems to work and it's frustrating as hell.

Maybe your tactic is just a little too optimistic? I mean, I like it, don't get me wrong, but maybe the player material isn't capable to pull it off against the big(ger) teams and you need to be more industriel against those sides.

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

Maybe your tactic is just a little too optimistic? I mean, I like it, don't get me wrong, but maybe the player material isn't capable to pull it off against the big(ger) teams and you need to be more industriel against those sides.

Maybe, perhaps I need something more simple and solid for bigger teams. Something like 5-4-1 or possibly a back four.

In the usual system I find we go wide to the CWBs an awful lot and go for crosses which end up getting blocked and then we can't do anything with the corners. Another thing is the CF(s). I feel like he can go out of the game a bit so I've considered a DLF(s) but I don't know if he'd be on top of the AM(a).

22 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Maybe, perhaps I need something more simple and solid for bigger teams. Something like 5-4-1 or possibly a back four.

In the usual system I find we go wide to the CWBs an awful lot and go for crosses which end up getting blocked and then we can't do anything with the corners. Another thing is the CF(s). I feel like he can go out of the game a bit so I've considered a DLF(s) but I don't know if he'd be on top of the AM(a).

It's worth a shot, I'd say.

Maybe WB on either attack or support would work better in that formation? I've had great experience using a constellation of AM (a) - DLF (s) - AF (a). I found that they combined well and were dangerous on different ways. Otherwise a treq could be solid too in your system to allow some free roaming and focus offensively. 

16 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

It's worth a shot, I'd say.

Maybe WB on either attack or support would work better in that formation? I've had great experience using a constellation of AM (a) - DLF (s) - AF (a). I found that they combined well and were dangerous on different ways. Otherwise a treq could be solid too in your system to allow some free roaming and focus offensively. 

I was thinking WBs too, maybe I'm asking too much for the players to be CWBs. What do you think of a DLP(d) instead of a CM(d) alongside the B2B?

8 hours ago, Keano16 said:

I was thinking WBs too, maybe I'm asking too much for the players to be CWBs. What do you think of a DLP(d) instead of a CM(d) alongside the B2B?

That's something I've enjoyed great succes for too.

c3b94b6dbd05bdee03353094120b43f0.png

****s sake!!!!!! In the last bloody minute they get an equalizer. From a cross. At the back post. I knew it was going to happen. It happens every single time. That's six points we should have had if not for a last kick of the game cross and goal. (Against Lazio the exact same thing happened.) It didn't help that Radosevic stupidly got himself two yellows. As you can tell, I'm extremely pissed off right now.

Telles also went off injured in the second half.

113d0d137704c8f5a395500882dfc7aa.png

August and September 2019

fffe16a439f88f919cd0578adae733df.png

Could we not have stayed in August? As I said already, we dropped points in the last minute against both Lazio and Pescara while I suppose you can't be too down after losing to the likes of MIlan (although they are doing poorly, they have quality players) and Juve. Sassuolo are also enjoying a strong start. Not time to get too disheartened I guess is what I'm trying to convince myself.

c7ba0d1b2a197cb56490c3194e37487f.png

We sit 16th although it is still very tight. We do need to start picking up wins however, and sooner rather than later.

9668c747a0605d31129ea9dc4abc39d5.png

4th placed Palermo, 5th placed Frosinone, 7th placed Salernitana and Fiorentina in 12th are all up in October. Could be another difficult month I fear.

Torino </3 Hopefully they get their game together soon :( 

Looks like a very tough start to the season. Hopefully your schedule can give you a few games to get the ball rolling. 

5 hours ago, wynter said:

Torino </3 Hopefully they get their game together soon :( 

Looks like a very tough start to the season. Hopefully your schedule can give you a few games to get the ball rolling. 

As long as they do just a little worse than me!

Yeah, it's been less than ideal, one of the positives is that we haven't been completely outclassed. We just need to find that little something to get us over the line. I plan on trying to unearth some cheap young stars this season so I'll take a lower midtable finish this year.

5 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Your blood presure is rocketing, Irish pal. You better get some good times soon or this will end with a resignation as well as a possible terror act against Sampdoria. 

For confidentiality reasons I cannot disclose any information about a possible threat to the football club Sampdoria. 

1 hour ago, Keano16 said:

For confidentiality reasons I cannot disclose any information about a possible threat to the football club Sampdoria. 

We all know what that means.

Sampdoria's mascot (edit) was seen evading the pitch as bombs were flying past his weird f***ing ears. 

Billedresultat for explosion gif

This hasn't stopped, just a lot of stuff going on and when I get some free time I'm not motivated to sit through frustrating losses. I'm going to try get through a couple of games over the weekend however and try to improve our form.

16 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

This hasn't stopped, just a lot of stuff going on and when I get some free time I'm not motivated to sit through frustrating losses. I'm going to try get through a couple of games over the weekend however and try to improve our form.

I know the feeling! Hope you're not too stressed man, and maybe having a backup save with Chelsea where you win it all would be good for your motivation?

1 hour ago, Benjoe said:

I know the feeling! Hope you're not too stressed man, and maybe having a backup save with Chelsea where you win it all would be good for your motivation?

Just a few more weeks until exams and then I'm finished school. Perhaps, although I may take them to a lower finish than 10th!!!

faebd0dc05a8abc7f5d7ebca79cd2395.png

Massive win, I thought it was going to be bad after the early pressure but we managed to get a goal off pretty much our first attempt on target. Some more followed but Palermo looked the more threatening. Still, a win is a win and it moves us up the table. Fabiano bailed us out though:

c6c1453d264df478061b600d8a3dc7cc.gif

Great reactions, it would have been awful to concede like that.

10 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Nicely done!

I was expecting a last minute equalizer so I walked away for the last 10 minutes. I'm glad I did because this happened in the 93rd.

ed283d49889bb3f12fedeca7df11947f.gif

EDIT: Now you see how awful my laptop is.....

So I came across I couple of things I'd like to fix.

0b518c485cf4842ac8651868e4d2bb70.jpg

All my kick outs are like this, the wing backs are squashed in on top of the wide centre halves. Any suggestions for stopping this?

fc2061c320c552609912dbb5e1498ae0.jpg

Again, my wing backs always seem to in on the centre backs. I want them to be wider to pick up the wide men, there's no reason for the centre back and wing back to be marking one opponent, it just gives the opposition an easy crossing opportunity.

80b3332fc1e202ef02290bf2b3c05fe7.jpg

Finally, in this situation my RWB goes to close down Zivkovic which leaves space for an easy pass to the attacking left back. I'd rather my RCB to close down Zivkovic and that the RWB stays to cover any potential run from the left back.

Any thoughts?

12 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

That's really odd, and not something I've seen...what are your TIs?  PIs for CBs and WBs?  

6d5a008f91fecb42afc32d99c05cb5c8.png

Not too many, and none I can see that would seem to cause what's happening.

The onlt PI's I've added are to the wing backs - Stay Wider - in order to try and rectify the problem.

Spoiler

c5ebb9a826e0ae882614a83297f4a823.png1265d76a3453617de97a4fed247f3066.png

164076cfae69e1d10ed28a10ae0b44da.png

Drop the wingbacks to the DR and DL slots, they'll defend deeper, but your centre backs will close in more, and on kick outs they'll line up as a flat back 5.

EDIT: My CB's sit that wide too, but it's a risk I take so I can have the wingbacks intercept passes higher up the pitch and leave as much room as possible to encourage the Libero tp move forward.

9 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Drop the wingbacks to the DR and DL slots, they'll defend deeper, but your centre backs will close in more, and on kick outs they'll line up as a flat back 5.

EDIT: My CB's sit that wide too, but it's a risk I take so I can have the wingbacks intercept passes higher up the pitch and leave as much room as possible to encourage the Libero tp move forward.

I'm ok with the centre backs being wide, just not on top of the wing backs. Is there a way to push the wing backs up further for kick outs?

Also, am I correct in saying that if I drop the wingbacks to DR and DL they'll stay as a flat five when defending so my problem with the wide attacker being free to cross is solved?

Just now, Keano16 said:

I'm ok with the centre backs being wide, just not on top of the wing backs. Is there a way to push the wing backs up further for kick outs?

I'm honestly not too sure. I think mine are always about that close to the CB's too.

Just now, Keano16 said:

Also, am I correct in saying that if I drop the wingbacks to DR and DL they'll stay as a flat five when defending so my problem with the wide attacker being free to cross is solved?

I believe so, that's what I usually do when I'm playing a tough team with top widemen, like Hazard or Mbappe, and it seems to give them much less to work with. They should defend, and line up for kickouts as a flat back five, but in attack bomb forward as much as usual.

They should also track back much sooner.

18 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm honestly not too sure. I think mine are always about that close to the CB's too.

I believe so, that's what I usually do when I'm playing a tough team with top widemen, like Hazard or Mbappe, and it seems to give them much less to work with. They should defend, and line up for kickouts as a flat back five, but in attack bomb forward as much as usual.

They should also track back much sooner.

I shall give it a go, it makes sense.

d025ad8292c14c582aba498c762b24af.png

Another important win, Kucka with a second goal in two games off a deadly counter from Frosinone's corner. Soriano gave us the lead, pouncing on a loose ball just after half time. The majority of Frosinone's shots came late on when we sat back a little. Jansson unfortunately turned the ball into his own net with the first cross, not great really.....Moyesy might have to pay him a visit.....

0fa096c11177c4dc3b925b3e2d0f7e0d.png

Disappointing. rotated a bit because of another game in a couple of days but I felt we had the chances to win, particularly Smalley who missed several he should have buried. Their goal came after a clearing header, that could have been left to Ribeiro, led to a cross and finish. Can't win them all I guess.

Archived