Breaking down established defence

Playing as Arsenal, I have been able to create an attacking line that I thought would score more goals than I would ever need. However, I just can't seem to get there - against established defences, playing against weaker sides. I recently had a ridiculous run:

0-0 Burnley-Arsenal; 7-0 Arsenal-Barcelona; 1-1 Arsenal-Bournemouth; 3-0 Arsenal-Real Madrid; 0-0 Arsenal-Stoke.

It seems obvious that the problem isn't when I play against sides that tend to leave open spaces through offensive play, but rather that I am unable to break down weaker sides. On a side note, I am not sure that is entirely the case either, because it's not like I never have chances - every one of those tie games are basically one long YouTube reel of 'football fails' with horrible misses inside the 5-yard-box, every goalkeeper I play against no matter the skill seems to play at an 7.5 or over etc etc. Before you say it is just a slump, this one has lasted for about 18 months... As a sign of how extreme it can get, I finished 7th in the Premier League while winning the Champions League the same season. 

So, my line-up is usually as below:

Bilde1.thumb.png.7cac5ddf0576eaf09b64fdee36114594.pngBilde2.thumb.png.8fa19690621b8dd8e1833403e6af26da.png

I may sometimes change a BBM midfielder to a BWM (Coquelin/Elneny) depending on the opposition. As for tactical instructions, I feel like I have tried everything: control-fluid with lots of ball possession, overlaps, creative freedom wide play etc; counter-rigid with passing into space and quick transitions; offensive-fluid with roaming, running at defence, creative freedom etc. 

Can anyone please give me some advice on how they would get the best out of this line-up offensively? Every match feels like something is stuck, something is not working, but I am running out of ideas for what to try. Other available offensive players are Welbeck, Iwobi, Wilshere, and Tielemans. 

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

There isn't really any width on your left hand side so you're not stretching sides as well you could be. Additionally there's not a great deal of depth to your system, you're playing an aggressive formation where the starting positions are high up the pitch so you're playing into the hands of defensive opposition. If you were playing on standard and you increased the width you'd be utilising space a little bit better.

15 minutes ago, Fosse said:

There isn't really any width on your left hand side so you're not stretching sides as well you could be. Additionally there's not a great deal of depth to your system, you're playing an aggressive formation where the starting positions are high up the pitch so you're playing into the hands of defensive opposition. If you were playing on standard and you increased the width you'd be utilising space a little bit better.

Thanks! So, for my left hand side, either push my left back higher in the pitch or have my left IF stay wider, for example?

23 minutes ago, Gunner86_2 said:

Thanks! So, for my left hand side, either push my left back higher in the pitch or have my left IF stay wider, for example?

For balance I'd say the instruct the left back to stay wider, a wingback on support with the stay wider PI would be my personal choice. Be mindful of too much space appearing in the channels though as your centrebacks could be exposed on occasion.

Archived