Real Transfer Dates

SPrice

An idea for a new feature could be to use real transfer dates. For example, if a player moved clubs on deadline day of August in real life then in the game they wouldn't move clubs until deadline day of August. This could work as an optional feature at the start of the game (similar to attribute masking, use real fixtures, etc.). If used then the players would be placed with a transfer pending situation until their transfer goes through.

I'm not too sure about this. FM should reflect real-life to some extent, but not necessarily replicate it.

When it comes to starting a new FM save, from the moment you first click 'Continue', anything can happen - and that includes injuries and unexpected changes in form.

Let's say that you start an FM game in which all real-life transfers go through on the same day that they were completed in reality. Now say that Shkodran Mustafi tears his cruciate ligaments while playing for Valencia on 27 August. Would his transfer to Arsenal three days later realistically go through in FM? Would the in-game Arsene Wenger spend £35million on a crock, or would he look elsewhere instead?

Let's go even further forward now, to January. If the in-game West Ham were launching a surprise Premier League title challenge (don't laugh - after all, Leicester are the reigning champions!), and Marseille were floundering at the wrong end of Ligue 1, would Dimitri Payet want to go back to his old club for £25million on 30 January? No chance.

To put it another way... in FM, clubs should be allowed to sign whoever they want and need for their current situation, and not just do exactly what their real-life counterparts did. I can understand why you only suggested it as an optional feature, but I doubt it's one that anyone would seriously consider using.

• 10 months later...

Archived