Roles training and familliarity + players development

I have a question.

I've read Cleaon's thread (not entirely) but still couldn't find the answer for that.

I have a young player, his position is CM and his natural role is B2B (full cake).

since I'm not playing with player roles such as B2B or RPM or APM and instead I tend to play only with CM roles, my question is:

1) Should I train my player as a B2B even though I play him as a CM role so he can fulfill his full potential? (the player isn't natural at CM role, he is competent and missing 3 lines from the full cake)

2) or Should I train him as a CM role so he become more familliar with the role?

3) Does a player with 'competent' role familliarity will perform the same as natural, does it has a huge effect over the role? (I know it doesn't make much sense, but I still kinda afraid to throw away the player potential ability and not fulfill most of the player potential).

The thing is, if I train him as a CM he will work on less attributes than B2B role working on, which he probably at the end won't fulfill his full potential and this is what I'm afraid of mostly.

I have another question:

I have a young winger with very low compusre, concetration, anticipation and decisions, would it be wise to train him as a Raumdeuter so he can improve those attributes?

Please help guys.

Thank in advance.

41 minutes ago, herne79 said:

When training players, forget the name of the role.  It's just a label.

Pick the role that best fits the attributes that you want the player to develop.

Thank you for the answer. @herne79

But when it comes to familliarity of the role, do I get "panalize" or does the player will perform less affectively if I pick a role which the player is only competent with? (3 lines missing from full cake)

or it's something that I shouldn't care of that much?

Thank you very much again again.

Role training is about attributes. The pie charts you see for roles is for suitability. Role suitability is calculated based on player's attributes. So if you train and improve certain attributes, then one or more role suitabilities may increase. Another factor that influences role suitability is the player's positional ability, i.e if he is natural, accomplished or competent, etc. for the position.

But when it comes to training, choose the role training based on the attributes it focuses on and if it matches to the attributes you want to improve. Ignore the role the player is most suited for (that is your assistant's opinion, anyway) and ignore the role you use the player in your tactics. They don't have to match. Only consider what you want to improve and target that through the role training or individual attribute training. For example, a player may be best suited for BBM role. I use him as CM-S but train him as DLP because the attributes the DLP role trains are the ones I need to change in the player. 

I hope I've made it clear.

2 hours ago, michmichoni said:

Thank you for the answer. @herne79

But when it comes to familliarity of the role, do I get "panalize" or does the player will perform less affectively if I pick a role which the player is only competent with? (3 lines missing from full cake)

or it's something that I shouldn't care of that much?

Thank you very much again again.

To answer your specific question, no, there are no penalties imposed by the game for playing a player in a less suitable role

BUT iirc there is a penalty if you play a player out of position like a player with competent CM rating playing a CM role... but saying that... i did play an attacking midfielder up front as he had the perfect attributes for a DLF minus the finishing which was still 13, but he had the minimum rating for position ZERO lol he scored two and assisted one so i will play him there again.

4 hours ago, craigd84 said:

BUT iirc there is a penalty if you play a player out of position like a player with competent CM rating playing a CM role... but saying that... i did play an attacking midfielder up front as he had the perfect attributes for a DLF minus the finishing which was still 13, but he had the minimum rating for position ZERO lol he scored two and assisted one so i will play him there again.

There is a hit to the decisions attribute for playing out of position- it is minimal when you are accomplished, and gets slightly worse as you go down each step to no familiarity- a player who is competent in a position will probably have no problems with it that you would ever notice and even with zero familiarity they can still be effective as you have found. What you most probably should expect to see with a zero familiarity is some bad passing decisions, mis-timed runs etc. For me, it is worse to use a zero familiarity player in a defensively important position, but that said, I have done it and had it work out just fine 

Archived