Franky's HUSTLER Tactic for FM 17 - updated for patch 17.3 P130 W115 D13 L2

On 3/12/2017 at 14:43, Franky. said:

EDIT 12/3/17: I've updated the tactic for patch 17.3. I know that 'officially' there are no match engine changes from 17.2 but my own personal observations and anecdotal evidence tells me that the update has thrown a spanner in the works with regards to how effective tactics are post update. For this reason, I've left the 17.2 version of the tactic available for download for those who feel absolutely nothing has changed but have also now uploaded what I feel is more suitable for the 'non existent changes :D' of patch 17.3. The write up below will be untouched as all player requirements still apply, except for the wing backs. For them, the following changes apply as they now operate as full backs in the updated 17.3 version..............

Full Backs – These guys will get forward to provide the wide option and also to stretch the defence that helps create space for the attackers through the middle. Decent crossing ability is a must. High stamina and work rate will also increase their effectiveness.

PPM to set (in order of importance)......... 1) gets forward whenever possible......... 2) hugs line.

Training focus - crossing.

Updated tactic is available to download from original post and also this one to help increase the lifespan of your mouse button :D

All testing for the update was done without using any OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS, although that was just for sake of convenience so feel free to use any OIs that you think are beneficial.

Franky's HUSTLER Tactic for FM 17 (17.3)_4032DC57-F061-4FF6-95CC-5EF04656A843.fmf

Hi Franky what are the new player instructions please for fullbacks ? I'm using FM Touch

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

started a LLm save with this just to see how well or bad it would be. I am Merthyr Town who was just promoted to Vanarama national league south, lowest one in game. my team was picked to finish 21st, 2nd to last. my players are crap, I have no money and I can barely field a complete team. its still early but this is what I have done so far. so far so good, I will also show you my leading scorer, attributes wise he isn't that good but is dominating the league .

3bb443c502d94da7ac48d84ed960eed9.png30e08263535e493dbb343cb93be7efe4.png350b23142549497190286b94595ccf7e.png268899bc186c4986b2c53a5a64779b2c.png

Is it still going good for you?

On 3/11/2017 at 08:48, Hollender said:

Playing with Wrexham and in 4th season. 

Leading Championsip an in knockout games in Euroleague an semifinale in FAcup. 

Getting loads of chances and dominates in front of goalarea. 

But many times it feels like the box is overpopulated and we're usually shooting in the backs of the defenders and just getting corners (where we usualy don't score). 

Any way to unpopulate the field in front of goal?

still haven't found a good Creative attacker and a CF is absolutely nonexistent. 

Hopefully good attackers is easier to find once in the Premier League. 

Won the Championship with 19 points. Lost EuroLeague final against Man. City 2-1. Won FAcup final against Everton 1-0.

Signed 2 fine young CF and 2 fine Creative attackers. (suddenly market has a lot of CF) Sold my existing attackers for 6 and 4 mill £.

Then Real Madril put Martin Ødegaard for sale at 3,5mill £.

Made the offer and he wanted 420k £/month (my top player gets 90k) discussed a bit and ended up locking my top bid of 210K £/month + 50K pr goal and surprisingly he accepted.

Can't wait to see how PL gets of.

Using the original (a) version of this tactic, and has been very successful across 3 different league sides, and my latest international team.

Haven't noticed any problems or decline with it with the latest update. The reason why I'm using the original version is because I tried out the c version with a new international side, and the performance was not great (probably of course because of a lack of familiarity or the players not being suited) so went back to what was working on a 'if it ain't broke...' basis

I'm quite relaxed about the roles of my central midfielders and strikers. I'll have them as central midfield / box to box / complete forward etc if I think they're suited, and try to train them up in these, but most of the time my players are deep lying playmakers or whatever they're best suited to.

I always have my attacking midfielder as a shadow striker though, and always have my full backs playing as wingbacks.

I appreciate the work that @Franky has put in with the updates, but if anybody is struggling, going back to the a) version may be worth a try.

As I say, I'm having success with a number of sides, very quickly, but they are all quite big sides with technically proficient players. I think I had success with a lower league side with this tactic, but that was a youth save, and so I was just fitting my existing players into the tactic rather than bringing in players. Lost in the Conference South Playoff final, so not bad.

So, thanks, Franky.

I updated the tactic a few days ago but upon further testing and play time, have come to the conclusion that v1.2c remains the best version of the HUSTLER tactic so for this reason, I've deleted the updated version from the original post.

On 3/11/2017 at 07:48, Hollender said:

Playing with Wrexham and in 4th season. 

Leading Championsip an in knockout games in Euroleague an semifinale in FAcup. 

Getting loads of chances and dominates in front of goalarea. 

But many times it feels like the box is overpopulated and we're usually shooting in the backs of the defenders and just getting corners (where we usualy don't score). 

Any way to unpopulate the field in front of goal?

still haven't found a good Creative attacker and a CF is absolutely nonexistent. 

Hopefully good attackers is easier to find once in the Premier League. 

Just speaking for myself, I find switching from a narrow shape to either balanced or fairly wide opens up the pitch because it encourages the wing backs to push up more. Maybe also consider taking off exploit the middle. It doesn't mean the team will suddenly ignore the middle of the pitch, but the ball will see more time on the wings as well which will hopefully stretch out the opposition defends a bit more and create space. Just keeps the AI guessing a bit more. 

I used an AF in lower league football and he ripped everyone to shreds. AF is fine because he still has the move into channels shout which again like the wing backs can potentially open up more space for everyone else.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 02:20, Pogrebnik said:

Is it still going good for you?

yes, I won the league and also won promotion from the Vanarama national . On to League 2 now. I will say that before every match I let my ass man pick opposition instructions and then I also set the  strikers for closing down always and then the wide players for show to weaker foot, every match no matter who I'm playing. I'm sure its about to get tougher in league 2 so will let you know how that goes. plan on putting a lot time into the game today and tomorrow.

I would suggest a fast striker also, just has to be fast for the level, I have two guys who are 11 or faster, both score at a pretty good rate and the other rating are meh.  I also don't have any player instructions  learned for the tactic because at this level you are changing players so fast due to semi professional thing and also because after you get promoted, they aren't good enough for the next ;level. I just turned professional so will look to start on the PI's when I get some guys who are going to stay with me more then one season, 

Edit  I'm using the new one that's since been deleted, I will go back to the old one if and when I start losing but I don't want to change anything up since I'm winning   Edit

This tactic isn't going good for me I'm afraid.

Man Utd 12th in the league... only highlights are EFL and Europa League Performance. If you start with no reputation, I think it kills the tactic.

I think Total Domination is far better mate - sorry - but this is rather inconsistent and patchy. I will, however, say thank you for your tactis - they doi make the game more enjoyable and you do stuff I couldn't do. I just hope you appreciate the honest feedback and go back to total domination :)

I've never had a reputation. I started as a Sunday League player managing Poole Town in Conference League South. I now have them up to League One. Last season we also won away at Ipswich (Champ) and Sunderland (Prem) in the League Cup. The key is to follow the player requirements - especially as regards to work rate. Don't expect anything until EVERY player is familiar with the tactics. And you sometimes need to be a tactician - as Franky said - one quick CB is very important. If strikers are wriggling free, set CBs to mark tight AND nominate the actual striker they are to mark. Towards the end of my league winning season, I was using team reports to work out whether a team was getting goals from tall strikers with good heading, fast strikers, or a combination. If there was a fast striker who was in form, I was picking my CB Ben Cabango who was actually 2 stars worse as a defender, because his pace is 16 and his marking is ok. He was coping well nullifying the fast striker. I first did this after being torn apart in the first half of the game, second half, the opponents didn't get a sniff. In one game, I even dropped the back line deep and unticked play offside. Cmids with brilliant workrate (you really see the difference with these guys - just as Everton look excellent with Schneiderlin and Gueye in real life) give you protection with a deep backline. Franky has given us a fantastic framework but if the opponent is battering you with something, do not be afraid to change it but it's essential to be logical about the change - why you are doing it, does it make sense or is change for the sake of it. This way you give it a chance of working. And, whether it works or fails, learn from it - it may tip you off about a priority in the next transfer window. 

Thanks for all the feedback. All taken on board and all appreciated. I have an update brewing and it's gone fantastically well during testing but would like some feedback before I replace the current version. If you are using HUSTLER 1.2c, the changes you need to make are...........

1. Remove 'get stuck in' team instruction.

2. Add 'tackle harder' player instruction for all 4 defenders and 3 central midfielders.

3. Remove 'ease off tackles' player instruction from the shadow striker and both forwards.

4. Do NOT use any opposition instructions.

I've found that since making these changes, my players don't get skinned any more due to the fact they've stopped diving into tackles. It helps especially when up against pacy/tricky wingers. In one of my test games playing against Chelsea, my wing back Jose Gaya used to get rinsed by Martins Gelson but now that happens very rarely so I'm able to protect the flanks better. The players still go in hard due to the 'tackle harder' PI but not recklessly so. It means we win the ball back much cleaner and this has made a significant difference from a defensive viewpoint. Less fouls committed and better protection of flanks without any downside so we're now conceding less goals than before....... I'd appreciate feedback on the above changes... thanks in advance :)

Hi Franky. Couldn't sleep so I checked in, just moments after you posted the above. I got out of bed and made the edits and played a few games. I'm playing as Salford , now in League 2. I wasn't having much luck with either this or Destroyer so used a 4231 based on Ghosts but moved the DM to SS as i had just bought one when i thought of it and got promoted. 

I started using Destroyer with your recent updates and was playing much better but was P4 W1 D1 L2. Almost fully fluid but was encouraged by performance despite early teething troubles with the scores.

I played 3 with the above changes and lost 1-0 In my first game but to Crystal Palace and they needed a pen to win but then played 2 more and won comfortably. 4-0 against AFC Wimbledon and it could easily have been 6. I had 8 CCCs. Then beat Liverpool Under 23s in the cup 3-1 away! In both games I was given no chance.

Early days I know but it's looking good so far with a team of poor players for the league in League 2. Thought youd like to know!

BG

13 hours ago, Franky. said:

Thanks for all the feedback. All taken on board and all appreciated. I have an update brewing and it's gone fantastically well during testing but would like some feedback before I replace the current version. If you are using HUSTLER 1.2c, the changes you need to make are...........

2. Add 'tackle harder' player instruction for all 4 defenders and 3 central midfielders.

3. Remove 'ease off tackles' player instruction from the shadow striker and both forwards.

I've found that since making these changes, my players don't get skinned any more due to the fact they've stopped diving into tackles. It helps especially when up against pacy/tricky wingers. In one of my test games playing against Chelsea, my wing back Jose Gaya used to get rinsed by Martins Gelson but now that happens very rarely so I'm able to protect the flanks better. The players still go in hard due to the 'tackle harder' PI but not recklessly so. It means we win the ball back much cleaner and this has made a significant difference from a defensive viewpoint. Less fouls committed and better protection of flanks without any downside so we're now conceding less goals than before....... I'd appreciate feedback on the above changes... thanks in advance :)

During the match, ignore assistant manager's player instruction feedback, too?

Always ignore the assistant manager's feedback. It's a load of rubbish, always has been. Play a short passing game and he'll suggest playing direct. Play direct and he'll suggest playing shorter. He's literally there to talk crap :). His feedback really is worthless. He'll tell you a player is looking exhausted but you can see that yourself from his condition stat....... just ignore him!!

Baron, thanks for your reply. Keep us updated on how it goes with the suggested changes. 

2 hours ago, Franky. said:

Always ignore the assistant manager's feedback. It's a load of rubbish, always has been. Play a short passing game and he'll suggest playing direct. Play direct and he'll suggest playing shorter. He's literally there to talk crap :). His feedback really is worthless. He'll tell you a player is looking exhausted but you can see that yourself from his condition stat....... just ignore him!!

Baron, thanks for your reply. Keep us updated on how it goes with the suggested changes. 

Hi Franky, I mean in terms of opposition instructions eg x needs marked, y needs closed down.

37 minutes ago, Niall76 said:

Hi Franky, I mean in terms of opposition instructions eg x needs marked, y needs closed down.

No, just ignore. There's always pros and cons with acting on such advice and on the whole, it's unlikely to make much difference. What the ass man will tell you is all the instructions that would be applied if you used his OIs. Of course, if you want to go with them from the start then you can do that. I always did up until the current patch but have found that it makes diddly squat difference.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 17:47, Franky. said:

I will give this a try, setting OI's every game is annoying anyways :p

Just quickly stopping by to leave my two cents. Currently testing the modifications suggested to the tactic. Only three games in, so it's not enough to give definitive results, but I did just get my highest scoring win ever in the PL. Me, as Chelsea, with an admittedly good squad (my personal glory was being able to retrain Cesc to B2B and snapping up Bonnuci and Pepe, since both were transferlisted). Still, getting to beat 9-man West Ham 10-0 was quite something. The best (or worst) part was that it could have been more? Had my strikers actually taken the great crosses Bertrand was providing. Tactic seems much solid at the back, specially the wings. They don't seem quite as open as before and that allows for more movement in attack and more crosses, so the change also seems to help in attack. Will upload actual screenshots when I finish the season, since I have no WIFI right now (writing this from my phone). 

hey frank or really anyone, I decided to start a sevilla save because they got a tycoon and I thought it would be fun. I got angel correa and martin odegaard to rotate at shadow striker because they are my fav young players and I got them both for around 30 mill but here is the issue, just got dele ali, want to play him at B2B or would that be wasting his talents and should be playing at shadow striker?

08ded714a2ff4d618029353f987e59f0.png

1 hour ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

hey frank or really anyone, I decided to start a sevilla save because they got a tycoon and I thought it would be fun. I got angel correa and martin odegaard to rotate at shadow striker because they are my fav young players and I got them both for around 30 mill but here is the issue, just got dele ali, want to play him at B2B or would that be wasting his talents and should be playing at shadow striker?

08ded714a2ff4d618029353f987e59f0.png

I think Alli is the best young SS in the game but with the young talent you have bought there he could be a beast as a B2B as well.

I would have him at SS by choice though.

3 hours ago, Baron Greenback said:

I think Alli is the best young SS in the game but with the young talent you have bought there he could be a beast as a B2B as well.

I would have him at SS by choice though.

ty. I may move him, my plan is to build up odegaard for a bit, then make a hefty profit off him. his release fee was like 8 mill I think.  he demanded a ton in salary Alli is doing great so far as B2B, best rating on team and has 2 goals in 3 games. I'm leary of benching angel c because he has 5 goals and a couple assists

4 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

ty. I may move him, my plan is to build up odegaard for a bit, then make a hefty profit off him. his release fee was like 8 mill I think.  he demanded a ton in salary Alli is doing great so far as B2B, best rating on team and has 2 goals in 3 games. I'm leary of benching angel c because he has 5 goals and a couple assists

That's the beauty of Alli. He can dominate there but if you get a run of injuries he's right there to step in.

I bought Odegaard in a previous save using this tactic in its first form but was wary of buying him because of his finishing. I'd be interested to see how much that could improve given the right training focus. Also, I assume he's better suited to this version because there seems to be less onus on the SS to score as much as create. Unless I've just got a poor SS at Salford...

s

9 hours ago, Baron Greenback said:

That's the beauty of Alli. He can dominate there but if you get a run of injuries he's right there to step in.

I bought Odegaard in a previous save using this tactic in its first form but was wary of buying him because of his finishing. I'd be interested to see how much that could improve given the right training focus. Also, I assume he's better suited to this version because there seems to be less onus on the SS to score as much as create. Unless I've just got a poor SS at Salford...

still early mind you but A Correa is doing great at SS, 7.63 average rating, odegaard not doing nearly as well when I play him. as far as Alli, first time ive ever had him and I play a ton.   gl with salford, while the bigger teams are fun to manage I still think nothing beats getting a non league team and bringing them up . I always have one of those type of saves I go back to.

15 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

s

still early mind you but A Correa is doing great at SS, 7.63 average rating, odegaard not doing nearly as well when I play him. as far as Alli, first time ive ever had him and I play a ton.   gl with salford, while the bigger teams are fun to manage I still think nothing beats getting a non league team and bringing them up . I always have one of those type of saves I go back to.

I'll keep checking in with progress to help monitor the tactic. I only get to play a handful of games a night but so far so good. I'm 18 games in and top of the league by 2 points. I was favourites to go down so the tactic is performing well above expectations so far!

2 hours ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

The defensive shape of this tactic is horrible. Consistently end up with three or four attackers on a two man defence, with a goal coming from a simple cross to the unmarked men. 

What's the workrate of your wingbacks? That's incredibly important to this tactic. Was using it with Everton, but the wingbacks I had were barely on 13 workrate. If you don't have players with 13+ there, you risk getting countered and scored by simple crosses. With higher workrate, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, check if you need defensive positioning as match training. I usually leave it to the AM, but check if you need to do it yourself. 

Aditionally, I'd recommend testing his changes to the tactic that he listed above, I haven't ever gotten countered from the wings since making the changes, try it and see how it goes for you.

Alright guys! Been away on holiday and came back last night to update to 17.3.1.

I've just read through 3 pages of comments and tactics and tweaks of tactics and I'm none the wiser to which version is the latest I'm meant to try!?! 

If somone could give me a little heads up in the right direction that would be great 

played it for a season and a half (first season was with the inverted wing backs tactic) and i either win or get absolutely flattened. no draws at all so far with the Hustler version. when i play against the top 4 sides away, or decent European teams i find it best to leave the match running and go and make a cup of tea as its not fun to watch ;) even if i switch the mentality to defensive. Stats wise i still produce the same amount of shots and time on the ball as the opponents its just that they seem to be more clinical with their shots on target, so i doubt it has much to do with the tactic and more my defense, and i still dont have a CM with the PPM of stays back at all times at the moment. 

I have a pretty basic Nottm Forest squad with no superstars (except Bazoer if he counts?) and after getting promoted to the Prem I finished 5th in the first season there and now I'm in the title mix in Jan, in the semi's of the League Cup (having won it last season), and into the Europa League knockout phase.

so far its the best @Franky tactic of FM17 I've used (just wish the FM16 Stealth Bomber worked in FM17)

I've updated the tactic for patch 17.3. Not too many changes with all player roles the same but have removed the 'get stuck in' team instruction, whilst adding 'tackle harder' player instruction for all 4 defenders and 3 centre mids. This cuts down on the amount of times the players get skinned, especially the wing backs so now the flanks are protected somewhat better. I've left the previous version for download for those who don't think tactics have been affected by the latest patch :)

On 24/03/2017 at 08:57, PhilNUFC said:

Alright guys! Been away on holiday and came back last night to update to 17.3.1.

I've just read through 3 pages of comments and tactics and tweaks of tactics and I'm none the wiser to which version is the latest I'm meant to try!?! 

If somone could give me a little heads up in the right direction that would be great 

v2 for FM 17.3

On 24/03/2017 at 00:07, kerrdavidson95 said:

The defensive shape of this tactic is horrible. Consistently end up with three or four attackers on a two man defence, with a goal coming from a simple cross to the unmarked men. 

You need to adjust the duty (i.e. attack, support, contain) of your wing backs by following the instructions I've set out in the 'tactic usage' section of the original post. If you don't then you ARE asking for it :)

Franky - I think this is better than the destroyer tactic! I've just beaten a mid-table team in the league 12-1 away from home with my substitute DLF scoring a double hattrick and my AF (only because he's a poor CF) scored 4!!

Can't rate this tactic highly enough.

Live in Leeds, so decided to start a career with Farsley Celtic. In my first season, in the Northern Premier First Division, we finished 2nd behind a free-scoring Clitheroe team. Drawn against Radcliffe in the playoffs, we lost on penalties.

When the second season rolled around, I could offload the dead wood and recruit some players of my own. Winning the league by a clear 20 points, we also managed to win the league cup, but, more importantly, we managed to get through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, beating teams such as Solihull Moors, Truro, and Forest Green Rovers on the way. When we got to the third round, we got a brilliant draw away at Everton. For a club that loses about £10k a week due to a quite poor supporter following (we currently get an average of 237, and tickets only cost £9), the £400k received in gate receipts from this match got us out of debt and gave us a healthy bank balance of £200k (but this is now again depleting). Not only was it a great draw, but also a great match - we went 1-0 down, but got it back to 1-1. In the second half, they proved too much and raced into a 3-1 lead,before we pulled another one back to make it 3-2, but that's where it finished. In front of 21,000 fans, we did ourselves proud.

Into our third season, 14 games in, and I'm top of the Northern Premier League Premier Divison by 3 points, with 2 games in hand. Once again we are going well in the FA Cup, making it through to the 1st round, but have been drawn at home to League One high-flyers Coventry City, so think that might be the end of the road, but I'll happily take the gate receipts if we get a bumper crowd!

Thanks Franky.

18 hours ago, Juan Yenkins said:

Can't rate this tactic highly enough.

Live in Leeds, so decided to start a career with Farsley Celtic. In my first season, in the Northern Premier First Division, we finished 2nd behind a free-scoring Clitheroe team. Drawn against Radcliffe in the playoffs, we lost on penalties.

When the second season rolled around, I could offload the dead wood and recruit some players of my own. Winning the league by a clear 20 points, we also managed to win the league cup, but, more importantly, we managed to get through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, beating teams such as Solihull Moors, Truro, and Forest Green Rovers on the way. When we got to the third round, we got a brilliant draw away at Everton. For a club that loses about £10k a week due to a quite poor supporter following (we currently get an average of 237, and tickets only cost £9), the £400k received in gate receipts from this match got us out of debt and gave us a healthy bank balance of £200k (but this is now again depleting). Not only was it a great draw, but also a great match - we went 1-0 down, but got it back to 1-1. In the second half, they proved too much and raced into a 3-1 lead,before we pulled another one back to make it 3-2, but that's where it finished. In front of 21,000 fans, we did ourselves proud.

Into our third season, 14 games in, and I'm top of the Northern Premier League Premier Divison by 3 points, with 2 games in hand. Once again we are going well in the FA Cup, making it through to the 1st round, but have been drawn at home to League One high-flyers Coventry City, so think that might be the end of the road, but I'll happily take the gate receipts if we get a bumper crowd!

Thanks Franky.

Which version are you using, Juan? Are you using OIs and following the guide to mentalities or always keeping it on one mentality?

1 hour ago, Niall76 said:

Which version are you using, Juan? Are you using OIs and following the guide to mentalities or always keeping it on one mentality?

I believe it's v1.2c, the full file name is "Franky's HUSTLER Tactic v1.2c for FM 17 (17.2)".

I leave OI to my assistant.

I don't ever change anything during the match, I stick with the default mentality of of Attacking. The only thing I ever change during the matches are my players if I need to make substitutions.

If you're interested, I drew 2-2 at home to Coventry City with a bumper crowd of 2,174. They went ahead early on, before I pulled one back in the 20th minute. They scored not longer after that, but I managed to draw level before the end of the first half. And that's how it finished, perhaps we could've and should've done better to get more from the match, but we couldn't find a winner. In the reply a few days later, they won 3-0, but I simply can't compete against players such as John Marquis and Darren Bent up front! They had a crowd of 7,021, so I'm happy to take 50% of the gate receipts for that match. My income this month is £115k (£99k from gate receipts) against an expenditure of £38k, so you can see I'd be in real finance trouble if it weren't for these matches.

Still currently top of the league, level on points with 2nd place, but I have 3 games in hand due to all the cup games we've been playing.

1 minute ago, Juan Yenkins said:

I believe it's v1.2c, the full file name is "Franky's HUSTLER Tactic v1.2c for FM 17 (17.2)".

I don't ever change anything during the match, I stick with the default mentality of of Attacking. The only thing I ever change during the matches are my players if I need to make substitutions.

If you're interested, I drew 2-2 at home to Coventry City with a bumper crowd of 2,174. They went ahead early on, before I pulled one back in the 20th minute. They scored not longer after that, but I managed to draw level before the end of the first half. And that's how it finished, perhaps we could've and should've done better to get more from the match, but we couldn't find a winner. In the reply a few days later, they won 3-0, but I simply can't compete against players such as John Marquis and Darren Bent up front! They had a crowd of 7,021, so I'm happy to take 50% of the gate receipts for that match. My income this month is £115k (£99k from gate receipts) against an expenditure of £38k, so you can see I'd be in real finance trouble if it weren't for these matches.

Still currently top of the league, level on points with 2nd place, but I have 3 games in hand due to all the cup games we've been playing.

Yeah, i find it interesting how others are going. I gave the updated tactic a go and we lost 5-1 at bottom club Cambridge United even though it was fluid. I've gone back to 1.2c. I actually start on ultradefensive every game and got promoted from L2 like that. In league one, we're getting crowds of only about 2950.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Niall, I would really give v2 for 17.3 a chance. I'm using it in my Wycombe game and whilst I have a decent team (media prediction 3rd), we are absolutely killing it. In March now and scoring goals for fun (have scored 18 goals in 3 games against City :D) with the only defeat being away to Barca in the Champions League group stages. Here's how I'm using the tactic......

1. Sticking with the tactic usage formula in the original post.

2. No opposition instructions.

3. Using central defenders with their default settings so no ball playing defenders even if they are more suited to that role.

And that's it........ I really WOULD give it a chance.

Last 30 games using v2 for FM 17.3

last_30_games_with_Wycombe.jpgonline photo storage

Quick update from me. Quick because I've had very little game time since my last post.

I'm 27 league games into my season and am 4 points clear at the top of league 2. I cant remember how many wins and losses etc but have a goal difference of 35. 2nd place is on 19. I am nailed on favourites to go down so cant complain at that!

I've got some really busy times coming up so am making slow progress but I'm hoping to be able to grab a few hours soon to push towards the end of the season. If I go up then that'll be 3 straight promotions when being favourites for relegation...

Hoping I'll get a new stadium in a couple of years. If so I think the board might call it the Franky Arena! 😉

Now in 2021 with Wrexham and finished 1st season in the Premier League as nr 6.

Preseason I was killing it but then the season began and in the first 6 games I won 2 and lost 4.

Then came Euro league and since then I have won 4 in a row incl. 3-0 over Chelsea.

Starting to look good again. Seems like I just have to loose the first couple of games each season.

23 hours ago, Franky. said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Niall, I would really give v2 for 17.3 a chance. I'm using it in my Wycombe game and whilst I have a decent team (media prediction 3rd), we are absolutely killing it. In March now and scoring goals for fun (have scored 18 goals in 3 games against City :D) with the only defeat being away to Barca in the Champions League group stages. Here's how I'm using the tactic......

1. Sticking with the tactic usage formula in the original post.

2. No opposition instructions.

3. Using central defenders with their default settings so no ball playing defenders even if they are more suited to that role.

And that's it........ I really WOULD give it a chance.

Last 30 games using v2 for FM 17.3

last_30_games_with_Wycombe.jpgonline photo storage

Ok, Franky. You've convinced me - thank you.

Niall, I've achieved the results with a very strong team that has a media prediction of 3rd. However, I've now restarted my very first Premier League season with Wycombe where we have a media prediction of 20th and am finding that using the tactic in it's default form is way too risky. Quite simply, the players just aren't good enough to pull off the attacking attributes of the tactic and this can result in being on the end of some real spankings. For this reason, it's better to adopt a less cavalier approach when the opponent is pre match favourite. I've adjusted the tactic usage section of the original post as follows (opposition instruction advice has also been updated)..................

TACTIC USAGE - starting team mentality

You are pre match favourite (home & away) - Use the tactic as it is.

Opponent is pre match favourite (home & away) - Switch team mentality to 'Control' and increase tempo to 'Lower'......... this will mean less risky passes, which will allow for better ball retention and greater control of the game.

TACTIC USAGE - during the game

ATTACKING - default......... BALANCED - switch wing backs to support duty.......... ULTRA DEFENSIVE - switch wing backs to defend duty and set team mentality to 'contain'.

Start each game on ATTACKING (i.e. wing backs on attack duty) and then switch between ATTACKING and BALANCED throughout the game as dictated by the match situation and if needed, ULTRA DEFENSIVE to close out games with lots of time wasting from any point in the second half. ULTRA DEFENSIVE is very effective at breezing through the second half without much incident so use it frequently if you're not concerned about scoring more goals and just want to see the game out.

NOTE: When changing back from ULTRA DEFENSIVE to ATTACKING (because opponents have scored and now you need to score), you'll be switching team mentality from 'contain' to 'attacking' and for some reason, tempo will automatically be set to 'normal'. You'll need to manually set it to 'much lower' as that's the default tactic setting...... do NOT leave it on 'normal'.

Always monitor the opposition formation by keeping their formation box open in the corner of the match screen. If they go to an attacking style of play, switch to BALANCED (i.e. wing backs on support duty) and vice versa. You'll actually score more goals doing this as your attacking play will then be more concentrated through the middle with slightly less wing play and because the opposition are playing an attacking style, you'll be able to carve them open more easily as there will be plenty of gaps to exploit centrally in the final third. When they are NOT playing an attacking style, always use ATTACKING (i.e wing backs on attack duty).

NOTE: The above tactic usage formula is a complete solution for every team at every level.

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS (3 options)

There are 3 options here and as with the tactic usage formula, hard to say which works best. Personally, I use option 1 myself.

Option 1: Do NOT use any opposition instructions.

Option 2: Simply leave them to the assistant manager.

Option 3: Use the following...........

All strikers........... closing down - always

Wide players (WBR/WBL, MR/ML, AMR/AML)............ show onto foot - weaker foot

When using option 3, make sure to monitor the opponent's formation so if they change, you can maintain the above OIs.

just coming to the end of my 3rd season with Forest. 2nd in the Prem with 5 games to go. Final of the FA cup, knocked out of the League Cup semi by Man Utd, I was 4-1 up in the first leg, lost the away leg on penalties (yep that really did mean i lost 1-4!) . Europa League quarter final vs Fiorentina, drew the 1st leg 2-2 away, lost the home leg 2-3. 

I feel like Ossie Ardiles managing Tottingham back in the day. Goals goals goals...

My strike force of Jason Cummings, Britt Assombalonga, Zach Clough, Ben Brereton and Thomas Lemar are tearing things up (look them up they are are pretty average).

I still need to find a quality CM as no matter who i play there they always produce awful match ratings compared to the rest of the starting XI

On 4/2/2017 at 10:11, Juan Yenkins said:

Quick update from me - I finished my third season and finished top of the Northern Premier League Premier Division, 17 points ahead of second placed Ikleston. So in my first three seasons I've had two promotions and now I find myself in the Vanarama North. Some big teams in this league with actual football league experience, such as Halifax, Boston, Macclesfield, etc.

I decided to take Franky's advice and upgrade my tactics, I was using v1.2, but I decided to switch to v2 and use the preseason friendlies as an opportunity to bed the new tactic in - to be fair, there was only a slight change to marking which my players had to get used to.

As you can see, I was pleased with how the friendlies went - 0-0 against Brighton who have been in the Premier League for a few seasons, 1-1 against Bradford, and then narrowly losing to Burnley, Bournemouth and Villa, as well as comfortable beating all my local teams away from home. Heading into the new season I was slightly confident, but wasn't sure how I would fare against decent sides in the league. 3 games in and I think it's going pretty well...

farsley.jpg

57 minutes ago, Baron Greenback said:

I finished my season and was promoted into League 1 as champions. I am using the most up to date version of the tactic and whilst I am not smashing everyone, I'm winning games I shouldn't be.

I'm currently testing a revamped and simplified version of the tactic, dropping the amount of team instructions from 10 to 5 and team mentality from attacking to control. So far it looks extremely promising and results have been nothing short of phenomenal. I get the feeling that the more team instructions you have, the more info/instructions the players have to process and perhaps this can be detrimental to the overall performance of the team. If the updated version proves to be consistent, I will either upload it as v3 or maybe even create a new thread for it altogether.

Eeek! Can't wait to have a look at that then! I did wonder if the current number of TI's might be a bit much for lower league players to deal with but the results I've been getting have been as good as I could have hoped for so I've been more than happy with the current set up.

I'll keep checking back and have a look at the new version before I go on because I'm still in pre-season so it's the ideal time to switch.

One question I do have, how important is the hard tackling to the overall effectiveness? I end up removing it from several players each match and having to switch it to ease off to avoid a second yellow so is that reducing its effectiveness overall and would it therefore be better to be on normal from the start? I'm itching to hear your thoughts on this!

20 hours ago, Franky. said:

I'm currently testing a revamped and simplified version of the tactic, dropping the amount of team instructions from 10 to 5 and team mentality from attacking to control. So far it looks extremely promising and results have been nothing short of phenomenal. I get the feeling that the more team instructions you have, the more info/instructions the players have to process and perhaps this can be detrimental to the overall performance of the team. If the updated version proves to be consistent, I will either upload it as v3 or maybe even create a new thread for it altogether.

I wouldn't say that's necessary. I'm currently on a 16 match win streak in the league having conceded only 4 goals and scored 70

Archived