Sports Interactive Community
Sunlinlad

Need help with a 4-3-3 or 5-2-1-2 formation with Sunderland

I just can't seem to play well and keep the ball and look like a decent team and it's becoming very disheartening. 

General help would be greatly appreciated and what roles I should use for each player (suport/defend/attack) and just General tactical help  

Not expecting to win the league or anything but just want a decent tactic and formation I could build on while atleast being relatively competitive in the league  

also so I should point out that this is the first football manager I've played for 10+ years  

35 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you are looking to start creating your own tactic and don't know where to begin, there are some great guides pinned at the top of this forum in a sticky thread called "Tactic Building and Training Guides >>Start Here<<".

If on the other hand you have already built a tactic and need further help with it, we'll need to know what you have done up until this point.  Please read the pinned thread called "Asking for Help - Please Read This" if that is the case.

3 minutes ago, waddlemagic said:

Hi, David.

😂

got to laugh or I'll cry

Edited by Sunlinlad

Haha just got it.

Its best to post a tactic and describe what your trying to build (don't just tell us you picked Shorter Passing because you wanted them to pass shorter :p).

If this is the first FM you've played for years I suggest reading the FAQs and some of the guides.  Especially the Defensive or Counter Guide by Cleon, they're probably most suitable for Sunderland.  Then you'll just have to get some good players in to put into your tactic so you can look like a decent team :brock:

Edited by summatsupeer

8 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Haha just got it.

Its best to post a tactic and describe what your trying to build (don't just tell us you picked Shorter Passing because you wanted them to pass shorter :p).

If this is the first FM you've played for years I suggest reading the FAQs and some of the guides.  Especially the Defensive or Counter Guide by Cleon, they're probably most suitable for Sunderland.  Then you'll just have to get some good players in to put into your tactic so you can look like a decent team :brock:

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1

Pickford

Manquillo-Kone-Djilobodji-Van Aanholt 

N'dong-Rodwell

Herrmann - Januzaj - Khazri

Defoe

Mentality = control

team shape = flexible

Team instructions-

higher tempo

balanced width

normal defensive line 

much more closing down

dribble less 

be more expressive 

Any ideas?

or anything else you would like to know?

thanks 

Control is a relatively high risk mentality with a reasonably quick tempo, making the tempo even higher will probably result in rushed forward passes which doesn't really suit the technical ability of your squad 

Ridiculous. 

Like men against boys every single game. 

Every throw row in I take results in a counter attack and a good chance for the opposition, feel like I've wasted £30 on this 

need a hand 

Btw, what are the roles and duties of your players? It has already been mentioned you are already playing high risk football(with a poor team) with the mentality and TIs you chose. 

8 hours ago, vasilli07 said:

Btw, what are the roles and duties of your players? It has already been mentioned you are already playing high risk football(with a poor team) with the mentality and TIs you chose. 

Thanks for that.

I'm going to go more defensive. Should I use counter? And be more rigid?

What would the best formation be for this and what would you have as roles/duties for each player?

thanks 

11 hours ago, Sunlinlad said:

Ridiculous. 

Like men against boys every single game. 

Every throw row in I take results in a counter attack and a good chance for the opposition, feel like I've wasted £30 on this 

need a hand 

I feel like on most of my saves, but when you get it right (and you will if you study the game) you'll never get off it! 

First thing i'd recommend is looking at your team report, seeing what your strengths and weaknesses are. You being a Sunderland fan will help because you'll know most of the players and you'll know what they are capable of. Build your tactic around that, don't just shove them in any old position and hope for the best. Direct them, that's your job! 

Have an idea of how you want to play, and build around that. You have to take notice of players attributes or again sticking them in any old position just won't help you. For example, if you want to play a crossing game with pacy wingers and your two starting wingers having terrible crossing/pace/acceleration then you can imagine that working out terribly. Play to your strengths and build on that 

1. Keep it simple.  If you haven't played for years just see how the team plays without throwing lots of instructions at them that you assume want.  View the Instructions as modifiers and you need to see whats happening to know if you need to increase/decrease something.
  2. You didn't post the roles and duties of your tactic.  Getting the roles+duties right is really important, don't just pick what each players best role is as they might not combine well or will have players doing the same thing.
  3. Figure out who your best players are and what they're good at then fit the rest of the team around them.  Giving the best players what they need to succeed, this could be cover, support, runs etc.

You really should read some of the guides and come up with an idea (including roles+duties) rather than expecting someone to make one for you but you won't know why they've done what they've done.  And i'm not going to repeat the principles that the guides explain when you can just read them there.  There's a defensive one and a counter one, have a read and see if you have the players who can pull it off or how you could modify your team to improve it.

Edited by summatsupeer

If you're building from scratch, start with no team instructions and build the formation you want to get to and fiddle with the mentality and fluidity until you get what you like/want.

From there, you can fine tune what you're looking for by adding TI. Sometimes I've played with zero TI whatsoever, especially if you have lower caliber players.

Also, I can't believe I'm helping out a scum supporter. Howay.

Edited by Ghents

I'must into my 4th season with Sunderland and doing well fighting for European places. 1st season is always difficult with them. Make sure to use counter or standard mentality with structured shape. The squad isn't good enough straight away to play expansive. I played 4-1-2-2-1

Pickford

Manquillo full back S PVA Full back A

Kone CD D Djilobodji CD D

Mcnair dm d

N'dong b2b Rodwell cm a

Januzaj if a         Borini w s

Defoe af 

Try that then tinker a bit as you watch the game. Add instructions slowly 1 at a time.