[FM17]Basquet Case...

BoxToBox

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Can't believe I only saw this now, I shall catch up! 

Luckily(kinda), not much has happened yet besides me moaning a bit about transfers, and fixtures, and dodgy goals, and basically everything. Must be catching the Mourinho's......

Speaking of transfers....

...of transfers, well, I'm after picking this player up, very good for our level at that.

b5c4faa87a81c43415c1487a31c37423.png

He's been at Athletic since 2011(with an extensive history of playing for their C teams and affiliates deep down the Spanish ladder), and a free agent since summer, has our Yanis, and I would have happily signed him then..... if he showed up on my scouting list, but he didn't! Well, also if he'd have accepted a contract then, which I would have expected him to be interested even then.

He's part Algerian, and is listed as French-Angerian-Basque, in that order, so he doesn't show up with the "Second Nationality |is| Basque" filter I have set up to exclude non-Basque players from my scouting lists. (This is the only way I have to filter Basque players.)

e5a51a972317b8c498a782b3e6f34d69.png

3006d75356bf09c28414419899a0ba3e.png

You can see from my squad list, his second nationality is counted as Algerian. @Jimbokav1971 this is a perfect example of the issue I mentioned in the Discussion Thread.

It was lucky I randomly decided to have a quick eyeball at Athletic, their comings and goings, etc, and noticed he was released.

Well, we cracked on after that hellish opening run where we had to play all the big reserve side(and another draw to Lyon the week after), and went on a tear against the other "proper" clubs, and everything's looking up, except our finances....

8c7b03f4aa5fc8912fb419b03fa45fc5.png59fa6e9550333de53e1b64ec2680956b.png

We've actually managed to even overtake the reserve squads. 15 points clear of our real competition in Andrézieux and Jura Sud, we actually have room to slip up now. Being lumped out of the Cup at the first opportunity, to a team a division below sucked, but I did play a weak squad as we had important league games either side. Luckily the league form means I remain in the boards good graces.

Finances are a proper mess, but I should point out that despite that, twice the board agreed to up Junior Coaching, which is excellent and we have a resolute HOYD.

2 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Out of curiosity, does the club have a basque only policy or it's a self imposed policy by you?

Self imposed by me. I'd have an easier time scouting if it was hardcoded like Athletic, as they can set Basque as a main nationality filter that'll include any player that's part Basque at all, rather than the fiddly second nationality filter that I'm using.

Youth Intake Day!

Right, normally, I'd show the list, and the best couple of prospects, but this..... this is frankly ridiculous. I've not seen the like in any save, ever.

c92b059dded68e566730ec26179fab3f.png

That is one freaking deep intake in potential. I'm sure some are overrated because of decent CA, but they all look serviceable at the very least, and with properly balanced attributes for their position(no tiny CB's, paceless wingers, etc), barring the keeper who'd oddly quick. Gonna be up half the freaking night offering out contracts..... and the rest setting up training.

The weirdest thing of all is, barring one single kid, all of them are rated as at least fitting in well with the teams "fairly professional" squad personality. An entire squad with good professionalism is bonkers, I never even got that in Germany with a model pro HOYD, max facilities, rep and a world class youth network.

6890379a3636a562cab0e1fcdc55a35c.png

HOYD reckons this boy is the pick of the litter, needs a small bit of work. but if his quickness and dribbling grow, he'll be a fine winger.

c3b858e92cf6e18580b0a5128736f3c5.png

I especially like the look of this guy as well, as striker is a position we badly need fresh blood in.

This intake has come along at the right time too, as a quick look at our current scouting list of all players open to transfers....

37f55da43f93deb24d7962c118c976b5.png

This is every Basque player we know of who's currently open to a transfer. Exactly zero of them would get in my starting eleven, and to be honest, like, one would hit our squad, Lubrano as a backup fullback. There is a striker at Bordeaux on a bosman that's just short of interested that I was eyeing, but I reckon we don't especially need him now unless he becomes interested with very low demands.

After that I went back and tagged all the players from both intakes, I realised it may be more interesting to keep an eye on after this golden.... uh, silver...... ahhh, maybe slightly polished aluminium?... generation.

It's something I should probably have been doing anyway, to be honest.

Season Review.

Well, after that shaky start, we picked our battles taking out all our promotion challengers and picked up mostly key draws against the big boys reserves. The surprise when this was good enough to seal the title! Quite made up for a dreadful showing in the cup. Next season should be interesting, with our troubles I'm thinking of chucking all the backups and just using the kids when I need rotation, considering we have no money, no potential signings and a great looking academy, it seems like a good idea.

fecff884d7634f2d11d9c2a842291b5f.pngfe1f96c734e767b582e55ac54d147782.png

Schedule.

95afb85ea0863a478bbec45e9d1b6f47.png

Money we could have done without spending, for a crowd we don't yet have as our average attendance is 1100.

5 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Holy hell, that's an intake and a half!

The wolves are already circling....

5 hours ago, K Sherlock said:

Good luck with this always need a break...Beautifull pictures...:D

4 hours ago, MarcxD said:

Super interesting idea for a save, good luck!

Weird that the game does not count the players who have Basque as a third nationality for the search filter though..

Cheers guys!

2a3d0fde817451e2047222b37ecd5eb5.png

There goes the best prospect at the club, barely 3 months after the intake...... sigh!

It's kind of a win though, initially the board accepted an offer for £425 pound, and when I asked them to forget it, they said it was too good to refuse, but don worry you can use the money to buy a new player!

:lol:

I instantly chucked him on the transfer list, if he's going I may as well get as much as possible, thankfully Nimes came in with a decent-ish chunk of change.

Summer is over now, and it's mostly been very quiet, but also it's been all the things I don't like about lower league management. Trigger happy boards, crap bids for your players and time consuming battles to try and keep them.

That's right, I spent the entire window trying to not sell players, and barring Galdos, got away with it for now...

7fcfcaecca649c1d61a7d4254ad79f2e.png39fe413f5f6ac1ae44a3ad34459ee723.png

Even beyond the big sale, finances have been trickling upwards. Looks like it'll about taper off, but there seems to be decent enough money in the league, IIRC it was over 400k tv money.

5b12f046d869876013fdc09f0000f403.png

Some reasonable technical skills and his finishing is about as good as anyone at the club, he'll do a job for now.

There has been a massive surprise to start off the season...

4a0b396075c048365ff4979a36c13557.png

None are amongst the better teams of the league, but it's still a far better launch to the season than I expected, especially as the Romorantin game was petering out a dull 0-0 draw that both sides seemed relatively happy with.

We face Clermont Foot next, the leagues best team, recently relegated from Ligue 2, they've started with a whimper though, 2 draws and a loss leaving them 16th which is a relegation spot. At home too, probably no better opportunity to pitch an upset.

Into January now, and well, well past the halfway point, and it's been a delightful surprise!

1313b6108a31f17f0ca1ec5db53880bb.png7165e36bd53784bab6e92edff8ae533d.png

Now, I felt pretty comfortable even pre-season that relegation wasn't something to concern us(A season or two of consolidation, blooding youth and fixing up the finance issues, was the plan), in fact I had us pegged for right around where Clermont is wallowing, which is the bigger surprise. They were clear favourites for the league, and the predicted dream 11 had 8 of their lads! Wumped in the cup at first asking, again, to lower league opposition, again. I played a much weakened side though as I had a league game(and much bigger fish to fry) 3 days after it. Looking at the finances, looking good, was slowly creeping up all season, and another player I wanted to keep going knocked a 115k hole in it this January.

The biggest surprise of all may be Quevilly-Rouen, expected promotion challengers, but they've been dreadful.

6073b57ce1549bfea1b4be31e22cc3b3.png

15 games to go, and if we make it, I believe a great deal of my problems will end. Looking at Ligue 2, every side is professional, so I believe it's a requirement for promotion(like League 2 in England), I should know, this isn't my first spin in the French lower leagues, but I honestly can't remember. If it is, we gain promotion, and turn pro, we could probably expand scouting to Europe, most importantly instantly send a lad down to Spain, start picking up Spanish Basques, and finally get around to developing a proper tactic and style of play. Also making players more replaceable.

5ef3c39688b7a99e9a57553291837041.png4a86f152713a970506b7334a866582f2.png

This was the lad we had to sell, a good prospect, but I'm not as disappointed in this one as Galdos, as we already have a better RB prospect at the club.

9c085718dd61ffa5c858f43a5c162b50.png

Alonso is coming along incredibly well, getting the odd game and been quite the asset, even if we have to give him a new contract every freaking six months to ward off clubs...

Youth Intake Day!

518af6bd88d0eaa0e4fb5b7e1288ccc5.png

Not quite the amazing burst of talent from last year, but plenty look like useful players. They all need quite a lot of work, though.

bfe4b51902e0da8e9bfab2657a8f6dc8.png

Pick of the litter apparently, he has good positioning, I guess....

50de8a9565a9604a14d1e176bd2d2e7b.png

Staff rate this guy the most. Ehhhh, he's almost tall enough(could maybe grow into it), but his jumping is dire.

6687b754e8d974cdc8868d64c690792b.png

This fellow's odd attribute balance and polygon remind me of a player from an old Roma save who didn't look great but became a monster. Looks for Pass, though, gees.....

Also, just to show what a crazy season this is.....

69aadd503e607c3a92f136ca743466f7.png

We're leading the league based on alphabetical order.....

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

6687b754e8d974cdc8868d64c690792b.png

This fellow's odd attribute balance and polygon remind me of a player from an old Roma save who didn't look great but became a monster. Looks for Pass, though, gees....

The look for pass is maybe a good fit for his lack of composure... might be good to train him up in attacking midfield or on the wing?  It didn't look like you were playing with a striker anyway, or did I miss something?

What I'm worried about is his 'fairly determined' personality despite having 17 determination.  That could betray a bit of rot under the hood...

12 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

The look for pass is maybe a good fit for his lack of composure... might be good to train him up in attacking midfield or on the wing?  It didn't look like you were playing with a striker anyway, or did I miss something?

What I'm worried about is his 'fairly determined' personality despite having 17 determination.  That could betray a bit of rot under the hood...

I've been playing 4-4-2 the whole time, but that's only a compromise until I can start properly building a team/tactic.

You're probably right about his personality, he's rated as having good professionalism though, so it can't be too bad. If I keep with 2 strikers he might make a good support striker, or as you say attacking midfield.

7aecd685f6daea2bd9675c0f7141fb34.png

Didn't take long for this youngster to become the most important player at the club, displacing established pros and new arrivals in quick fashion. 18 goals already, 18! I foresee hard work ahead in keeping him this summer.

Season Review!

Well well, what a year! We sealed promotion with one game left, and took the title on the last day. Colsolat being promoted is quite the story too, this was their 5th season in the 3rd level, and in their first they were an amateur side. Sharks are circling all around my prospects, annoyingly so!

On the flip side, Clermont suffer back to back relegations! Crazy, Quvelliy-Rouen turned things around and saved themselves, but still a far worse showing than expected.

8adb5db0696904eb6b7cfdcef55899b2.png0cbaf31e1545f9267b1302d71077464f.png

Schedule 1 - Schedule 2

573c58cb3696608aa08c1b7e6b0d8934.png

We've also turned pro, expanded our scouting range, had junior coaching upped to excellent, and been given a lovely budget. So, if you'll excuse me *runs to Spain*.

Cheers guys!

I thought I'd have an update by now, but this summer has been insane, still in deadline day and I've had the most deadline buys ever.... Literally a case of not much for the first team available all summer, and then whit hours to go everyone wants in!

Right, these were all the big deals for the club.

86fe85313887a77189e6134f5de2037e.png

Took a massive risk with this lad, but I think he's going to be something. Potential Ligue 1 talent, from Sociedad's academy, has even played for Sociedad. I like the balance of his attributes.

7650a5f2c04c61f819d7c0db9fdfba90.png

Our left back was basically a CB out wide(but had no familiarity with CB), this guy's a tad faster, a tad better at defending, and way more technical.

Our midfield was soft as pudding for this level, but I couldn't get much in the way of young talent, so I got a few older guys on short team deals. They come in, do a job, we both move on happy. Not my usual style, but needs must.

f249a0abb37e6b51451a136957e2e653.png

Our new holding mid, there's a lot to like with him.

50b13fc362236967e6f62119d425c3e5.png

His partner in crime, I'd prefer this fella to be a bit more mobile, but other than that, quite happy.

06342b8781f4c8f3789bb85ec3499bb0.png

This guy is going to rotate with them, bit of an all rounder, and covers a decent amount of positions, but those mental attributes aren't too hot.

cd2975a0b1dcf452fa5756af3055435b.png

Most of my forwards are very young, and either have a great game or may as well have stayed home, so a bit of experience was needed. Plus he;s a bit of a target when we need something different.

2c79c3c2cbb3a9f4dedf9624053443a7.png

I think this guy's going to be a great winger, and I better be right, as we have to pay 500k for him at the end of the loan..... Few key attributes need work, but I do really like him.

ded896bf78b0588254a21e94e7f91bfe.png

We were short at CB, and I picked up a few decent ones as the summer rolled on, but when this guy became available on deadline day, I couldn't say no, he's the best CB at the club, and maybe best player. Has a 650k option on him too.

cd0e7758cd93b619b5f8606bbf0b750f.png

This fella had only become available when there was a few hours left of deadline day, and I was worried about not getting a decent keeper! I've seen him become Athletic's first choice on saves, I doubt he's going to be *that* good this time around or else he wouldn't have been approachable, even though he was unhappy in Spain.

19 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

The Spanish invasion has begun

For damn sure!

I probably should be careful, I want to have some quality French players in the side, but there's not going to be much of a supply of French Basques of a high level until I can build the academy up.

EDIT: Once we're flush, I should drop some coin on Anglet, get them to push on and have two decent French Basque clubs.

Archived