[FM17]Basquet Case...

BoxToBox

Taking a bit of a break from the Faroe Islands for a bit, off to do something different. Following an Athletic Club(themselves a fantastic team to play as) style Basque-only policy, but playing with a French-Basque club.

AvironBayonnais.png

Commonly known as Bayonne, the town they're from, they're far more well known for the rugby division of the club who are currently in the top division of the French rugby league. The bottom of the division, sadly, it seems they're a bit of a yo-yo team.

Anyway, we're more concerned about football and here Bayonne start in the CFA2-Group H(5th level). Also a bit of a yo-yo team around the French lower leagues. Interestingly, their stadium is named after Didier Deschamps who's from the town, and played in Bayonne's youth team before moving on to Nantes youth team.

Bayonne-Transfers.jpg

It looks like quite a lovely town.

10a703842161023e3ad0c17ce4033979.png

e7a08860e2651609899352c9a471858f.png

d043aea2ecc24c8e5854c1dcc396eac5.png

This bloke is the best player at the club, suspiciously ranked as a targetman despite not being able to head the ball.....

1e96f04d17976b1a9997503a7ca62a20.png

Already have some work put in on the staff.

5b77daee76e927df530366db2344a871.png

I did try picking up some young free agents, but the Spanish lads weren't interested in talking, as they wouldn't move countries for anything short of a full time pro deal, and we're semi pro.

I mean, San Sebastien is about 40 minutes away, you could commute, hell Irun is about half that, you could cycle it.

Here we go!

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

Ooh, a Basque save. These always intimidate me a bit, although I'm sure it's not as bad as my worries make it seem. Good luck!

They're not bad with Athletic, they're fairly rich, cracking academy and there are lots of Basque teams to buy from. Also there's a game mechanic that any 16 and under Spanish player is buyable by Athletic, and once they join instantly become Basque. Also there are quite a few excellent Basque players.

This is a bit more tricky, as long as we're limited in who we can land(the club has only two CB's and one is 32), but mainly until we turn pro, once we're pro we can pick up players currently in Spain and we'll be ok.

2 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Good luck. Will be following and hope you don't encounter any of the databases and specific issues of searching for a Basque player.

Cheers! I'll probably miss a small minority of players like Inaki Williams(actually, he does show up as Basque is listed as his 2nd nationality and Liberia after it, but players like him), but it won't be the end of the world.

Bordeaux's reserves are in the same group as us, and they played ******* Malcolm against us. Malcolm! The only bloody game he's played for them! Lad is on double my entire squad combined. :seagull:

Actually, I just checked, eight players in their starting eleven were from the first team squad. Ridiculous.

32 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Good luck! I'd recommend buying some blue paint so you can finish off the home kit...

I've a petition in to change the kit colour to red. :D

Actually, I should get some kits, or get them made, or something.

8 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I've a petition in to change the kit colour to red. :D

Actually, I should get some kits, or get them made, or something.

What do you want? I can make them for you :cool:

13 minutes ago, Willigenburg said:

What do you want? I can make them for you :cool:

If you could, I'd be delighted, a home and away kit for the club, I don't really mind what design or style. I can't even find a pic of their away kit, to be honest.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

If you could, I'd be delighted, a home and away kit for the club, I don't really mind what design or style. I can't even find a pic of their away kit, to be honest.

I'll look around :cool:

39 minutes ago, argento said:

Not seen a save before with a French Basque club, looks quite the challenge.  Good luck, i'll be following

12 minutes ago, mjaferrie said:

Got family in that part of the world, have fun at the Fête du Bayonne ;) 

Cheers guys!

So, time for the first update on how the season is going, it's now early Dec, and we have no fixtures until January.

fb40300bf81b1f1cec05b79d6d5f4a6d.png

Pretty dang well, we're a few points clear in the league with 10 games to go, and have a good shot at progressing past the round of 32 in the cup!

There are some players I've targeted, but have no money to spend, and are haemorrhaging money as it stands.....

9fdd0f35e68fe9fb93ebef1c228ab83b.png

Maybe some loans will crop up.

Youth Intake Day!

ca811236ccc2f7b829ca502ac8e7bbf3.png

Lot to work with there, I'll probably give a good amount of them contracts, if we were a bit flush, I'd give them all a go as we do have a near empty reserve squad and a completely empty u-19's squad.

0be461bf624a15eb0812fb7a5a1b3741.png

This guy is the highest rated by PPA, and he looks to have something about him, for the level we're at, at least!

e4db07e81bc309b3ba0c7aed8a847670.png

This is the guy the HOYD likes best though, a quick(well, will be...) full back who's quite versatile.

In other news, Stade Bordelais, the team in 2nd place, their best player is a French-Basque fullback, who's contract is up in the summer......

893c81a86f35b46fff3748434999bd20.png

:D

8 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hahaha...at least I can do that.  The Faroese players you had...not a prayer.

I was like Moyes in Spain, everyone was Stefano...

3 hours ago, rimisark said:

@BoxToBoxfirst, sorry for the off topic. Did you know, which are other clubs with similar youth intakes in France? I founded Anglet. Is there other way to found Basque players than just scouting in Spain or France?

No need to be sorry mate, happy to discuss anything. This is all well on topic with the save though! I found Bayonne Croisés, Jean d'Arc Biarritz and Saint-Jean-De-Luz who have French-Basque intakes, but they're unplayable low league clubs. They do show up at non-Basque based clubs too, in testing I found them to pop up at PSG, Toulouse and Bordeaux. In save I'm tracking ones at Gerenoble Foot, SC Toulon, and have a transfer arranged for a lad from Libourne. I don't honestly know of any other way of finding them besides filtering my scout lists to players with Basque as a 2nd Nationality. I was hoping I could set up scouting, but no such luck.

This is the lad from Libourne.

4da914f2beb2dfc5afe8f53fb0306249.png

16 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

That's absolutely amazing, thanks!

15 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

That's absolute quality @Willigenburg! :D 

15 hours ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

Second that. Wonderful kit!

13 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

@Willigenburg, for the win!

Thanks guys! If you need any kits, just tag me in the topics and I'll try get them done :cool:

@BoxToBox - here's the finished product in a zip with a config file. The away shirt is not completely as their away shirt (found it on their website/facebook), but is as close as I could come with the templates I have. All sponsors are right though!

1.png

2.png

bayonne.zip

8 minutes ago, Willigenburg said:

Thanks guys! If you need any kits, just tag me in the topics and I'll try get them done :cool:

@BoxToBox - here's the finished product in a zip with a config file. The away shirt is not completely as their away shirt (found it on their website/facebook), but is as close as I could come with the templates I have. All sponsors are right though!

1.png

2.png

bayonne.zip

Amazing work! Thank you very much!

34e00bd9e8c5a68d3b4b17407c097570.png

1 minute ago, Jupjamie said:

Out of interest, @Willigenburg, what program do you use to make those kits?

I'm using Photoshop and the SS Kit Templates (just google it and you'll find them). They include photoshop templates for a lot of shirts, then it's just a matter of finding the right one and finding sponsors, logo etc.

58 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Superb, following this for sure!

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

@WilligenburgThe lauburu (Basque cross) in the middle of the home kit is what makes it for me. (I was an exchange student in Bilbao, in high school, was given a necklace with one that I had for years.)

Just googled that.

" The lauburu or Basque cross (Basque: lauburu, "four heads") is a traditional Basque swastika with four comma-shaped heads. Today, it is a symbol of the Basque Country and the unity of the Basque people."

Seems incredibly apt for the ideals behind this save.

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Cheers!

Just googled that.

" The lauburu or Basque cross (Basque: lauburu, "four heads") is a traditional Basque swastika with four comma-shaped heads. Today, it is a symbol of the Basque Country and the unity of the Basque people."

Exactly. Basque pride is huge, and that's an understatement. At least, it was when I was there - I have no clue how the younger generation feels about it.

Season review!

We were initially predicted to finish 4th, which was then changed to 5th, but I definitely wanted to fight for promotion. The early seasons are a race to get into a position where we can turn professional, and open up our signing options as there are a far more limited number of French-Basques in the game compared to their Spanish brothers, and certainly far less in quality as there are no French-Basque clubs playing at a high level compared to quite a few in Spain.

We managed just that, sealing the title with a game to spare, and put in a tidy cup run too.

1c35e09b0cbd016d25e730c23590abf1.png

League Schedule - Cup Schedule

The only issue is the sinkhole that is our finances. I've managed to cut down the wages, but I do have some players coming in. Still, the club have given me a budget and I'm well under it, so no need to panic.

6 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Exactly. Basque pride is huge, and that's an understatement. At least, it was when I was there - I have no clue how the younger generation feels about it.

I'm sure I've heard plenty of Athletic fans say they'd prefer to be relegated with their Basque-only squad than to win the league with anyone else.

21 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm sure I've heard plenty of Athletic fans say they'd prefer to be relegated with their Basque-only squad than to win the league with anyone else.

Yep. It's one reason why San Mames is such an incredible stadium. 

Congrats on the promotion! :applause:

4 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

@WilligenburgThe lauburu (Basque cross) in the middle of the home kit is what makes it for me. (I was an exchange student in Bilbao, in high school, was given a necklace with one that I had for years.)

4 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Just googled that.

Actually, I can't take the honor for this design. It's how their shirts looks in real life! :brock:

15304637_735842083231333_134962321276563

Summer window's closed and I have taken some real risks. I've shuffled the budgets around and spent money the club just doesn't have. Then again, what's another 90k when it's flowing down the drain at such a rate anyway?

I got it into my head that the other teams in the league didn't look all that, and with the money issues, it'd be best to try and push for a second promotion, when I just have been far more realistic with my ambitions.

bc7d1fe5013e01e4cb77d7675f430433.png1296cb740acb41d9718f523dba354332.png

They are players we need though, a keeper, and a much better right winger.

4dd029376f66df8cd3157201b99b38c0.png

He's 30, but as a keeper can go for a few years, and best as I can tell is actually the second best French-Basque goalkeeper in the game, the top class Stephane Ruffier being the best, and of course worlds away from us.

85931d990c14d9c7d0022ae9f132e722.png

He's an improvement on the last guy in all the key areas, Dribbling, Crossing, Speed, Versatility, and he's a handful of years younger.

dd1269b1bfdac1e2eb5633e73a42c1de.png

This guy came from Sociedad, and is a bit of a prospect, but being able to cover all the way down either wing is a massive boon for a bench player in a league with five sub slots.

So, after all that the football started and, well......

212909d5bcc3abb4d01cf1b26e77249f.png

Rubbish!

2 points from 9 and 14th in the league, a relegation spot.

Still, I have some reason to not be too concerned yet. We're not really in competition against these reserve sides, as they can't be promoted higher than this level, so long as we can slap a few regular sides of this level, we'll be alright, all we have to do is be the best non reserve side.

ace6cb8a0800065e9842d5a5bc1c24cd.png

Odds say we're the 4th best non-reserve side, and 6th should be good enough for promotion. Of course there are always surprises, I just hope we're the major one.

That Nancy game was frankly daft, we finished the game with 9 men and the ref was given a 4.0 rating.

7e0bc8851eeb10fb6924e4bbe108d27a.png

e916caa8a9515a1a28fb62c87e51a2f8.pnge4bc26a29675e88da67f7ace449604eb.png

We began the game playing 4-4-2....... I have no idea what I was thinking.

Things have to get better.

41 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

would be interesting to see what happens when you get into ligue 1. WIll you be in a battle with Athletic for players? That would be awesome

That's what I expect! Of course they may try to pinch our good players as we work our way up, but we have an advantage that Sociedad will be far more open to negotiations with us for their players than they are with Athletic.

Archived