Opinions on Julian Weigl

MINTED BLOB

I'm just entering the summer transfer window of my second season in charge of Manchester United. I've managed to tie down Carrick for another year but Schweinsteiger requested to leave so I decided to allow him to go back to Bayern Munich for £200k. Due to this, I am going to need to invest in a first team Regista/Defensive Midfielder. 

I've just noticed that Julian Weigl has a release clause of £46.5m and I was wondering if anyone that's used him could give their opinion on whether or not he'd be a worthy investment (I have £71m left in the bank combined with £627k in wages so I could comfortably afford him if I wanted to) or if I should consider going for another option ie. Ruben Neves or William Carvalho. 

The screenshots provided may help you give advice. Thanks in advance! 

Tactics weigl.png

Weigl.png

On 25/01/2017 at 17:24, oneronaldo said:

My own personal preference would be Neves, but Weigl is certainly another world class alternative. Why not both? :brock:

I opted to sign Neves in the end. A year younger than Weigl with similar attributes (better vision and off the ball movement which are both crucial to my team as well) and cost me roughly 10 million pounds less than Weigl would have done. 

Managed to beat Real Madrid and Manchester City to Neves' signature as well! :D

13 minutes ago, The Governator said:

I'm not going to disclose what is PA is, but when I looked at it in the editor, I thought it was too low. His current attributes are close to spot on, but I don't see why he can't notably improve over the next few seasons.

Weigl is a talented yet very limited player whose skill set is already among the best in his role. It's unlikely that he has much room to grow and the PA represents this early peak quite accurately in my opinion.

On 1/31/2017 at 15:43, Foss said:

Weigl is a talented yet very limited player whose skill set is already among the best in his role. It's unlikely that he has much room to grow and the PA represents this early peak quite accurately in my opinion.

Weigl is a fantastic young player his use of the ball is incredible for a young man easily in the top 10 U21 players in the World

from what I have seen he is in the top 5 his PA is way too low his passing 14 is a joke

16 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

Weigl is a fantastic young player his use of the ball is incredible for a young man easily in the top 10 U21 players in the World

from what I have seen he is in the top 5 his PA is way too low his passing 14 is a joke

What type of player do you think Weigl is?

He is a real class in real life, never have him in the game tho. I tempted to buy him also, I have a load of cash and could sign him to fill my DLP role. I use RB Leipzig so a German really a bonus ( at least for me! love local players whenever I play). The problem is I have Leandro Paredes who does extremely well for me at that role. Is 50m for Weigl worth it? Do they can play both together or I need to leave Paredes in order to afford place for Weigl?

10 hours ago, kingrobbo said:

he is a DM who if he continues developing will be the first choice in German team soon and that says it all really 

his use of the ball is right up there compared to some bog average DM's in game his stats are in my humble opinion too low

Yes, and his ability in the game allows for him to become a starter for the German national team. Weigl is a limited player who plays a specialized role in Tuchel's system.
He isn't a creative player nor does he make particularly impressive passes, but stands out because of his intelligence on the pitch and this is represented in the game with his exceptional mental attributes.
This post by the German co-HR outlines Weigl's profile well.

his stats are too low in certain areas as I said in my opinion, he is creative and mostly he is a player who keep possession very well his passing/positioning is in need of a boost

the researches dont always get it right take last year rooney was considered faster than many???

but its just  opinions :D

2 hours ago, kingrobbo said:

his stats are too low in certain areas as I said in my opinion, he is creative and mostly he is a player who keep possession very well his passing/positioning is in need of a boost

the researches dont always get it right take last year rooney was considered faster than many???

but its just  opinions :D

Why should his passing come up if he does not play difficult passes? An attribute of 14 in passing is an excellent value for how he plays and allows him to even be accurate over longer distances.
Retaining possession is more to do with mental attributes like Kox explained in the post I linked, and Weigl is among the highest rated players in the database for composure, decisions and teamwork.

we'll agree to disagree his passing is better than 14, many in DB with that stat who cant make 1 yard pass in real life and I dont mean forwards either:)

his job is to break up play retain possession then pass it onto to the creative player/s to make those telling passes and he does that very well and I am sure he will get even better and probably(I hope not) find himself subject to a bid from a perceived bigger club soon

as example I gave re rooney last year he was up there better than ronaldo on the speed front LOL if I remember correctly

and keeping this on thread I would buy weigl if you can afford him 

16 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

we'll agree to disagree his passing is better than 14, many in DB with that stat who cant make 1 yard pass in real life and I dont mean forwards either:)

as example I gave re rooney last year he was up there better than ronaldo if I remember correctly

Like I've said twice now, passing is not the only attribute that determines how good a player is distributing the ball. Getting hung up on a single attribute is missing the point, a more pertinent question would be if Weigl performs differently in the game from real life. And the virtual version seems to play very much like the real one, along with being one of the best players in the game for the holding midfielder role. It's a much better way to approach research by being bold in representing each player's strengths and weaknesses and making them unique instead of giving out 16s for passing to every midfielder that's good on the ball because a 14 would "look out of place" when in fact it's an excellent value.

Ronaldo was around 40 CA points better than Rooney last year.

58 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

Si are spot on with everything mate

And get off that high horse this thread was for opinions not to be lectured at

As i said more than twice its opinions

And the db is pretty good and we all have access to an editor if we disagree 

Opinions should be backed up by facts if you want them to be taken seriously.

check the bugs forum theres your facts

and this thread is about Weigl not how good the SI research team is etc

as a quick check there are 27 players in DB similar age to Weigl all with better passing stats including an Owen davies from wales who is contracted to porth and Adnan Januzaj has passing stats of 16...dont think either warrant being higher than weigl, but dont know anything about the former, but doubt if he is that good he would be on a non contract playing for porth

32 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

check the bugs forum theres your facts

and this thread is about Weigl not how good the SI research team is etc

as a quick check there are 27 players in DB similar age to Weigl all with better passing stats including an Owen davies from wales who is contracted to porth and Adnan Januzaj has passing stats of 16...dont think either warrant being higher than weigl, but dont know anything about the former, but doubt if he is that good he would be on a non contract playing for porth

It's not my responsibility to provide facts to your opinions and you're obviously not being receptive to this conversation since you keep bringing up a single attribute without considering the big picture.
Not to mention that comparing players across the database based on a single attribute is pointless as each player is researched individually. This is the third time I have to mention that passing is not a standalone attribute. Januzaj is not and will not be a better passer in the game just because his passing is a massive two points higher than Weigl's because the latter has a huge advantage in mental attributes. And do you really think a 20 CA player from Wales is a better passer in the game than Weigl? His attributes are downscaled by the game so he won't end up with a 16 in passing in any case.

you can mention it 3 times and more in my opinion having seen weigl play a lot he is a far better passer than 14

and I do appreciate the overall picture his pa is too low as well 

seen Adnan Januzaj play a lot too and he is much lower than 16 at passing

and just to clarify every player in DB is researched fully by SI, wow ....by trained scouts?? or is just based on  opinions??? and mostly very good opinions

there must be an army of  hundreds of thousands watching every player in the World play and over a period of how long 6 months? a year who trains/vets these scouts 

also think we have taken over this thread dont you?? and getting nowhere perhaps pm if you want to chat

33 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

you can mention it 3 times and more in my opinion having seen weigl play a lot he is a far better passer than 14

and I do appreciate the overall picture his pa is too low as well 

seen Adnan Januzaj play a lot too and he is much lower than 16 at passing

and just to clarify every player in DB is researched fully by SI, wow ....by trained scouts?? or is just based on  opinions??? and mostly very good opinions

there must be an army of  hundreds of thousands watching every player in the World play and over a period of how long 6 months? a year who trains/vets these scouts 

also think we have taken over this thread dont you?? and getting nowhere perhaps pm if you want to chat

I'm fairly sure that the person who researched Weigl has seen him play much more than you or me combined. The issue here is you're ignoring how the attributes function fundamentally in the match engine. Out of all the players in Weigl's age group that are in the same CA bracket (+/- 15), his mental attributes are the best by a clear margin. He is factually the best young holding midfielder in the game and that isn't changed by the fact that someone else has their passing attribute one or two higher. That's the big picture here.

8 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

good on you 

there are 115000 registered players in finland, sure you and your team have enough to do getting that ready for the DB

Thank you, the research deadline has already passed and we are preparing for the new season to start properly.
I should also remind you that Weigl's PA would put him in the top 12 of current German players which seems like he's got quite the potential in-game.

Archived