FM15 to FM17 Struggles

33 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

That's not a possession style tactic, Control mentality, Fluid team shape, Higher Tempo, More Expression, Run at Defence, and 6 attack duties.... its not even remotely a possession style. Even with Work Ball Into Box, Pass Out of Defence and Shorter Passing that is super forward thinking risky play.  Retain Possession and Pass Into Space kinda cancel each other out so might as well not be selected.

With that all said, Fluid + More Expression will give the team lots of freedom.  The attack duty players will have total freedom to do what they want so won't actually play as the role appears, hence why generic roles are suggested for Very Fluid style tactics).

I would not say that is made by an expert, but then I wouldn't class myself as an expert so maybe there genius thinking is beyond me...

Well I think it is time to give possession up, it isn't winning me games. Just dominated again, at home, went 1-0 up against 18th in the table and still ended up losing 2-1. Plus I got the sack... which has really made me question whether I bother with this anymore.

Anyway, this is what I went with, which to begin with was working wonders, so much more movement and fluidity... not only that but I actually had some shots inside the box!

I have also attached their shots on my goal. Surprise surprise one of them was a cross to an unmarked lone striker. I just cannot get to grips with the AI's constant attacking threat. If I play against two strikers, they murder my back line, if I play against one... he murders my backline.

20170206214541_1.jpg

20170206213951_1.jpg

20170206214106_1.jpg

20170206214112_1.jpg

I personally don't like using Structured with a 4231 Wide as it will expand the team, increasing the space around your midfield, especially if you aren't pushing up.  With 4 players told to defend in advanced positions I don't see why people use it if they aren't encouraging pressing.  Once play has passed them your relying on them tracking back which isn't as reliable as positioning deeper, hence I think its logical to have them pressuring quickly to cause misplaced passes.

Why could that role+duty assignment not of worked as a 4123 DM Wide with the CM-D moving to DM-D, move the DLP-S to the MCL and the AM-A moving to CM-A?

58 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

I personally don't like using Structured with a 4231 Wide as it will expand the team, increasing the space around your midfield, especially if you aren't pushing up.  With 4 players told to defend in advanced positions I don't see why people use it if they aren't encouraging pressing.  Once play has passed them your relying on them tracking back which isn't as reliable as positioning deeper, hence I think its logical to have them pressuring quickly to cause misplaced passes.

Why could that role+duty assignment not of worked as a 4123 DM Wide with the CM-D moving to DM-D, move the DLP-S to the MCL and the AM-A moving to CM-A?

It possibly could've worked, if I had a CM-A comfortable/suited to it. Plus my only other DM has a trait of get forward often ... Which is worrying

12 minutes ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

It possibly could've worked, if I had a CM-A comfortable/suited to it. Plus my only other DM has a trait of get forward often ... Which is worrying

Things won't be exactly as you like until you can recruit the players you need over a few seasons. Getting something that fits most of your starters, especially the star players is the best you can do.

Unless your playing some high creative freedom system I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if he's the backup DM.

Retrain the AM to play in CM, the requirements for the roles+duties are pretty much the same.  Whilst unfamiliar to the position he will just not play as smart, but it won't make him pass worse or run slower etc.

2 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Things won't be exactly as you like until you can recruit the players you need over a few seasons. Getting something that fits most of your starters, especially the star players is the best you can do.

Unless your playing some high creative freedom system I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if he's the backup DM.

Retrain the AM to play in CM, the requirements for the roles+duties are pretty much the same.  Whilst unfamiliar to the position he will just not play as smart, but it won't make him pass worse or run slower etc.

Ok thanks. Only issue is, as mentioned above, I was sacked... I will reload it and look again at what I'm doing. I appreciate your constant trying with me 

I quit the Bolton game, nothing I tried was working.

I am going to start with a much better team, and if I cannot get anything going on there then I will be giving this up. This is supposed to be enjoyable, and whilst I take great joy in listening, reading and watching everything football manager related, something is just not clicking for me at the moment. And If I cannot enjoy the game, then I see no point playing it.

Hi Guys

Back again. I took a break, read a lot of stuff on here, some of it seemed easy to follow and went in, but some also seemed very complex.

Anyway, started a new save this time with Cambridge in League 2. Played 10 games, Won 3 and Drawn 7... I am struggling to break teams down, especially at home.

Tactics are as screenshot. The games I have won have been against better opposition, it is weaker opposition I am struggling.

One match we had 24 attempts at goal.. drew 1-1, and only 4 were on target. Again, I am struggling with FM17 compared to FM15, never seemed to have so much trouble with getting shots on target, shots within the opposition box and beating teams consistently.

20170217215418_1.jpg

Just a quick point, which isn't actually going to help you tactically, but I noticed you said you read in the report you only created one clear cut chance. Totally ignore that and use what you saw with your eyes.  The reports of clear cut chances are way off, they have always been way off, but in this version it is the worst yet in my opinion. You have an open goal tap in and that doesn't register as a ccc, then you have a snap shot with a defender close by and it is a ccc. Not a dig at the game at all, it's something that needs a bit of work, just saying so you don't use that as your gospel, you will see for yourself if your side are creating the right kind of chances.

35 minutes ago, Torskus77 said:

Just a quick point, which isn't actually going to help you tactically, but I noticed you said you read in the report you only created one clear cut chance. Totally ignore that and use what you saw with your eyes.  The reports of clear cut chances are way off, they have always been way off, but in this version it is the worst yet in my opinion. You have an open goal tap in and that doesn't register as a ccc, then you have a snap shot with a defender close by and it is a ccc. Not a dig at the game at all, it's something that needs a bit of work, just saying so you don't use that as your gospel, you will see for yourself if your side are creating the right kind of chances.

Ok fair point. However, shots on target I am sure is correct, and we are having few and far between, especially within the opposition penalty area. It is something I am really struggling with on this version.

Just played the next game, drew 1-1... ARGHHH!!!!

Archived