Ability is not matching

9 hours ago, pjbork said:

I have a similar issue where the star rating is different when I look at the Squad Depth screen versus the Coach Report. Both are supplied by the assistant manager so not sure what would cause the difference?

This might be a bug. But I think in team report assistant analyzes the whole team players and put the squad situation in count. Personally the player may have 4 star, but he may be a level 3,5 star player when compared to whole squad.

The stars are also falling when you begin to rise your squad quality. That's why I thought, it might be something like that.

I've really tried to start ignoring star ratings. Even having someone in the coaching staff with good JA/JP doesn't help that much. Idk how mnay times I've had "throwaway" youth players with 1.5 star potential only to see them being 3 star or more potential a few months later.

Same goes for first team players. Some of my best and most consistent players in my teams are only rated 2 stars. And then if you get a very very good player in a squad forget it, because it will alter all your star ratings lower it seems like. So better to just not pay attention or just use it as a VERY rough guide.

I used to use the star rating as a first quick assesment if a player was worth further investigation, but now I try not to see much of it considering 5 star can be anything from suitable for L2 to leading PL player. Attributes seems rather irrelevant as well since there is a lot of player with good attributes that has no abilility and lots of players that have bad numbers but good ability. Not really sure what I should look at right now. I know the star system takes both your team and current league into account but still I get annoyed when I get a report that someone would be a key player and then look at the report and see he is decent for a couple of divisions below us. That migth be a curse of too quick advancement up the leagues but maybe the team and league things should get separated into two or be more about the league since I get a list of where that player fits with the rest of my players in that position. 

I ususally use trials to assess a player if the initial scouting looks positiv, since I sign most my players on free and the result is usually that a player's star rating changes pretty much the same minute he signs the contract. The different factors also make the star system a bit unstable as one signing can revamp it in the entire team. In my opinion it would be more useful to have the stars represent how competitive  a player might be for the current level you are playing.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:05, davidjai said:

@puffascruffowitz you are right, many good players may not have good ratings, but we may miss some potential young players if we totally ignore it, use it as a rough reference is ok.

In my limited experience I think that relying too much on star ratings actually has me miss some players. Too often I used to only pay attention to 3.5-5 star potential players, but that's a very poor scouting method. Also next time you get a youth intake keep on a few of the poor potential players. You'll find that after a season or 2 one or two of them will look much more promising. Even if they didn't have the quality ot make it to the first team you can always sell them for a profit. Although I imagine that's largely based on facilities and youth coaching.

Archived