The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Rangers will no longer be able to use Daniel Cousin to part-finance the signing of Fulham's Steven Davis.

The agent for Davis, Rob Segal, claims the London club have ended their interest in the powerful Gabon striker.

The effect on Rangers is that they must now table a cash-only offer for the Northern Irishman to keep him at Ibrox.

Davis arrived from Craven Cottage on loan in January and is interested in a permanent move north, but could opt to fight for regular football at Fulham.

Segal said: "There is a certain amount of urgency now because I think Rangers are back in training in a few weeks and Steven definitely wants it concluded.

"The clubs are in conversation to see if they can come to an agreement. Hopefully we are heading in the right direction."

The midfielder had a successful four months at the end of last season and produced some excellent performances in Rangers' Uefa Cup run, particularly against Sporting Lisbon in the quarter-final second-leg tie.

His tenacity, stamina and clever use of the ball will have impressed Walter Smith.

Now the Rangers manager must decide if he can afford to spend a large chunk of his transfer budget on a single player.

Smith's decision would be aided, of course, if the Ibrox club could find another team interested in Cousin, who has made it clear his desire to play in the Premier League in England.

stunning news, just gets better and better it seems icon14.gif

and it's probably unlikely we'd get Gomis, even a poor Euros still puts him well out of our price range

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully someone else will want Cousin, Sunderland? icon_biggrin.gif

If we can get 1.5mill for JCD then I'd take it, I like the guy, he works his socks off every game but he is 32 (?) can't finish a game and isn't prolific.

£1.5m should be taken if offered, I like the big man but he just can't finish games and he's not getting any older

hopefully Stoke can offer us money for McCulloch and Cousin icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by TM:

stunning news, just gets better and better it seems icon14.gif

and it's probably unlikely we'd get Gomis, even a poor Euros still puts him well out of our price range

We've been talking about Morgaro Gomis not Bafetimbi Gomis icon_wink.gif

BIG MAC WANTS OUT

Sunday June 15,2008

By Ewan Smith

ALLAN McGREGOR will attempt to speed up a move to the Premiership by telling Rangers he wants to quit just nine months into his new contract.

The Ibrox No 1 is a target for Newcastle, Spurs and Manchester City after a string of top displays helped Rangers reach the UEFA Cup Final last term.

His value has soared to £8million after he forced his way into the Scotland reckoning to challenge Craig Gordon for the No 1 jersey, but Rangers desperately want to hang on to one of their prize assets.

But while they have so far been able to reject the interest from down south – with Newcastle only prepared to fork out £6m for McGregor and Man City waiting to sell England new boy Joe Hart before making their move – the keeper will force the issue in the coming weeks.

It’s believed he has made it his priority to escape the goldfish-bowl life of Glasgow to start afresh in English football and will plead with Rangers not to price him out of a move.

With two years left on the lucrative new deal he penned last September, Rangers know there has never been a better time to make money on one of their star performers.

A source close to McGregor, 26, said: “There is no question of Allan talking with Rangers about a new contract. He wants to leave for

personal reasons.â€

McGregor was never far away from the headlines last term, both for his top-class displays on the pitch and his late-night antics off it.

He was linked with a string of female partners before settling down with girlfriend Leah Shevlin and is keen to avoid future press attention.

Should McGregor be successful in his attempt to force Gers to sell him, it would be a huge blow to manager Walter Smith’s rebuilding plans.

Meanwhile, defender Carlos Cuellar’s agent stressed the Spaniard would be snubbing Newcastle’s interest.

Pedro Bravo said: “Carlos is a Rangers player and I don’t see that changing.

“He loves the club, the supporters and the people in charge. He has never been happier in his career and is looking forward to next season.

“We don’t have any need to put this down on paper in the form of a new contract.â€

Cardiff quoted Utd four million for Flood last week, no idea at all where the two hundred and fifty thousand figure you guys have came from?

Don't expect us to be pleasant to deal with at all if you come sniffing for Gomis. Mark Kerr is expected to jump ship to PNE any day now (can't blame him with the reports of a 10kpw wage), and while we've signed Robertson as a replacement he's more liable to go wandering up the park so we'll need the protection Gomis offers our defence.

Euro 2008: French legend inviting Old Firm interest?

17:01 June, 15, 2008

Lilian Thuram says a move to the SPL is in his thoughts

Capped 142 times by France, the defender is poised to leave Barcelona this summer and has been tipped to return to his homeland.

He told TF1 however: "There are a number of things that could interest me, most notably going to PSG or maybe another club too. I don't know what I'm going to do in the coming days, so I can't really say."

He added: "Going to a club outside of France is also being discussed. We'll see. There are clubs in Italy, England, and even in Scotland that could be interested."

The right age for Walter....

Thuram and Cuellar icon_cool.gif

Don't see a loan type deal being accepted, we'll want a seven figure cash deal imo. Thompson has said that he feels we undersold Robson by a fair bit and that after discussions with Levein it won't be happening again.

Originally posted by LycanGav:

Cardiff quoted Utd four million for Flood last week, no idea at all where the two hundred and fifty thousand figure you guys have came from?

From the Courier in March...

By Graeme Dey

CRAIG LEVEIN admitted yesterday that despite Willo Flood being interested in remaining at Dundee United, it looks as if the player will be returning to Cardiff City in the summer.

The impact Flood has made since arriving at Tannadice on a seasonlong loan is shown by the fact he has missed just two games for the club and was named sponsors' man of the match in the CIS Cup Final.

But City are likely to want to recoup much, if not all, of the £200,000 they paid Manchester City for him to release the Irishman - so it seems he'll be headed back to Wales come May.

"I'd like to keep Willo because he has done well for us but that may prove too expensive to achieve," confessed Levein.

"I am realistic enough to recognise that the financial aspects involved would probably be beyond us."

£4 million though icon_biggrin.gif

One good season at a mid-table SPL side with a year left on his contract. Cardiff must be having a laugh.

Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LycanGav:

From the Courier in March...

By Graeme Dey

CRAIG LEVEIN admitted yesterday that despite Willo Flood being interested in remaining at Dundee United, it looks as if the player will be returning to Cardiff City in the summer.

The impact Flood has made since arriving at Tannadice on a seasonlong loan is shown by the fact he has missed just two games for the club and was named sponsors' man of the match in the CIS Cup Final.

But City are likely to want to recoup much, if not all, of the £200,000 they paid Manchester City for him to release the Irishman - so it seems he'll be headed back to Wales come May.

"I'd like to keep Willo because he has done well for us but that may prove too expensive to achieve," confessed Levein.

"I am realistic enough to recognise that the financial aspects involved would probably be beyond us."

£4 million though icon_biggrin.gif

One good season at a mid-table SPL side with a year left on his contract. Cardiff must be having a laugh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cup final brought him to national attention unfortunately, he was kind of a hidden gem up until that point. Cardiff need the cash, they have debts of over £20m supposedly, and are at great risk of going bankrupt due to pending court proceedings or something? I'm sure they could be negotiated down a bit, but seven figures seems to be their minimum asking price (in today's market who can blame them?) and that's just miles out of our price range.

• SI Staff

With the new thread I think we can put this season to rest. It was quite a journey with some highs that we may never experience again (Fiorentina away was one of the best nights of my life) and some unfortunate lows as well.

Archived