When is the best time to sign new players for a promoted team?

I always manage teams in the lower leagues in England. It means I can't really pick the players I want but have to see whats left and especially when you get promoted a lot changes in relation to the quality of the players you can sign. 

In general I would like to have the team ready for the following season as soon as possible, but at the same time I also dont want to spend my entire wage budget on good players if I can get a really good player late in the transfer window. 

In previous versions of FM there would typically be some kind of loading proces for the coming season and after that you could see the schedule for the coming season and the new standings. 

I used to wait the transfers until I got to this point because it seemed like this was the moment when my status was changed and a whole new world opened up for signing players. But so far I havent really figured out when your status changes/improvisation. 

When do you prefer to buy new players? 

In previous versions I would generally suggest waiting until the season end calculations which moved you to a new league as that seemed to be the time players recognised that you had been promoted and there was more interest in signing.

Having experienced three promotions in FM17 with two different teams I can honestly say it made little to no difference as to the players that were interested in signing.

Personally I like to get business done early with the squad for the following season more or less completed by the time I've played the last match of the previous season (Albeit some players will get released & some will join when the transfer window opens). 

I'll tend to look again once contracts are up & players have been released and might pick up an odd player if there are any good freebies.  I'll continue to scout through the transfer window and sometimes target an odd player but generally I'm sorted by then.

Currently I'm struggling though.  I took over Dordrecht in Feb when they were sitting 3rd in the Jupiler League and was planning for another season in the same league.  Unfortunately we got promoted via the playoffs and the squad is no where near good enough to compete in the Eredivisie.  I managed one signing before the season ended and was targeting a GK & a DR + a couple of younger players (AMR + DL) but now I really need to improve half the squad with no quality players interested in joining.  Also doesn't help that the DOF has failed to sign 2*GKs & 2*DRs with the first friendly on the horizon.

In the current version this 'loading process' you speak of seems to have less of an impact. For England June 25th seems a pretty important day as that's when a lot of the new season stats are updated. But I echo everyone else's responses here - currently about to start my 4th season with Margate and getting it done early is the way to go - normally week or so after the season's finished. The one transfer window I didn't get it done early we really struggled.

It's a balancing act ... a lot of players are transfer listed during the current season, if any of those take your fancy get them early, in new season they quite often get taken off the transfer list. On the flip side in my Crewe save I was after Kaylen Hinds and Donyell Malen on loan from Arsenal ... whilst the bids were accepted pre-season they wouldn't sign for me.. but right on the last day of window they were listed for loan and then did sign for me, so definitely worth leaving it to the end of a window in some cases.

With smaller teams I err on side of caution and leave as late as possible... i.e. don't want to spend whole budget early and then at the last minute lose my GK Garrat to a bigger club (and only get a shockingly small % of the sale into my budget so can't replace him).

20 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

Conversely, some top wonderkids generally I wanted to buy - their value £24k - I was offering £7.5M! - kept saying no, then as you say, right at the end of the window, they come up for loan ......

that's one of my biggest bug bears with recent FM editions... they've tried to add realism to the transfer market by boosting values to match modern trends... but they haven't scaled it exponentially based on player rep etc. So where the best players now cost 100m+ compared to 50m a few years ago... you have non-league teams asking for 50m where it would have been 100k a few years ago. Complete madness... makes LLM very hard ... my Crewe budget is circa 30k so I look for rated kids in Vanarama valued at £2k and think ... good stuff ill sign 3-4 good prospects... but cant buy a single one because the clubs negotiate well beyond my financial reach. IRL £10k to a vanarama south team is their yearly running costs so they would usually sell...maybe for exceptional talent you might pay around the £1-2m mark if you had the money.

it's incredibly hard to find good data on non-league transfers but I believe the record this season is £40,000 Akinola from Braintree to Barnet & Cohen Brammall £40,000 to Arsenal.

i wait till the news item of players being released from clubs pops into my inbox, then i just scout like mad. If i'm at a higher ranked club then i wait till the new fixture lists come out as it seems that it triggers your club ranking increase.

also DoF at any level is a must, if to do nothing more than scout for players

Archived