Dulwich Hamlet Academy Challenge - Champion Hill to Champions League!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm halfway into my first season in League Two and so far I'm surviving without much problem. I'm 11th at the moment, and comfortable mid-table. My main issue is conceding goals. We are leaking like crazy, but luckily we are also scoring quite a lot. This means that when we won't score we lose heavily. A couple of 0-4s and 1-5s have been hard to handle, but all in all I'm very happy with the season so far. Bolton in League One invited me to an interview to take over, but I declined obviously. I'm still in the FA Cup though. The 4th round against Tottenham away now after getting easy draws all the way. That should give us quite a lot of cash. I've gotten approved improved youth and training facilities, so next season should be better. Just waiting for the youth intake now.

13 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, I'm halfway into my first season in League Two and so far I'm surviving without much problem. I'm 11th at the moment, and comfortable mid-table. My main issue is conceding goals. We are leaking like crazy, but luckily we are also scoring quite a lot. This means that when we won't score we lose heavily. A couple of 0-4s and 1-5s have been hard to handle, but all in all I'm very happy with the season so far. Bolton in League One invited me to an interview to take over, but I declined obviously. I'm still in the FA Cup though. The 4th round against Tottenham away now after getting easy draws all the way. That should give us quite a lot of cash. I've gotten approved improved youth and training facilities, so next season should be better. Just waiting for the youth intake now.

Good job Xaw!

Never got McCoy and Nolan was out for 10 months in my save so he hardly kicked a ball for me.

2nd season in League 2 is a bit of a grind, our team is very young and although there is potential its basically rubbish at the moment.

Its the old dilemma, who do you play, 1 star current ability with 5 star potential, or 2.5 star current ability with 2.5 star potential ability.

I've been rushing young talent into the first team, I might start leaving them to develop in the under 18's and only move them up when they are ready, although my hand is being forced in a few areas at the moment in particular only having very young strikers.

Doesn't help that as soon as we get a decent player, they want to leave and bids start coming in.   

Sykes and Luyten signed for other league 2 clubs but wouldn't sign for me?? Very annoying. Mcfarlane and Booth are rotting in under 23 teams, gonna try and loan them in January but they will also probably turn us down. 

Had we been able to keep the players we produced we'd walk this division.

Slowly turning losses into draws and draws into wins. A good run, but I wish we could be more clinical and win a couple of the draws.

WE5rQU5C.jpeg

With 3 games left we should get into the playoffs.

SG9UcU8z.jpeg

I made it into the playoffs. Our opponent was Accrington Stanley in the semi final. We drew 0-0 away and beat them 2-0 at home to progress to the final. The final match of the season was the playoff final against Leyton Orient. We went up 2-0 early in the 2nd half, but they came back to make it 2-2 after 90 minutes. In extra time Leyton Orient found the net to make it 3-2, and we didn't have it in us to equalize and lost the final. Very close to promotion, but still a very good season and much better than I expected. This summer we will move into our new stadium and in the winter our facilities will be improved, so I have high hopes for next season.

It's only 5k, but we averaged 2,4k last season so it should be enough for now. Though we maxed at 10k last season, so we might lose some attendance in some of the biggest matches. No idea why I got it and you didn't. The board did that on their own.

Season 2 Update

So following our promotion i managed to keep most the squad together only losing Aaron Mitchell as he didn't want to sign a new contract. Overall i was very confident that we should be able to survive. We started very well winning 4 drawing 4 and losing 2 in our first 10 games. Our form slowly started to drop in the next 10 games as my tactic was found out despite dominating most games i would always seem to get hit on the counter and end up losing by the odd goal i decided to have a tweak and spent most of the middle of the season being very poor. Losing and drawing without picking up many wins. In mid February we were 18th in the league and with a run of 4 games against teams around us it was make or break time. I had settled on a tactic which finally seemed to have the team clicking and playing well, although still conceding on the counter we were scoring freely again we picked up 3 draws and 1 win from the 4 games and moved further away from the dog fight. The last 7 games we played very well and managed to finish 14th with 4 wins 1 draw and 2 losses.

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_  Competitions.png

The Team

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_  Overview.png

Youth Player Progress

Will Hoddle has progressed massivly over this season and is attracting attention from lots of league teams i feel i will more than likely lose him over the summer! The only other break through player from last season was left back Dean Murray making 16 starts he didnt look out of place either.

Dean Murray_ Overview Profile.pngWill Hoddle_ Overview Profile.png

Youth Intake

Elliott Warner_ Overview Profile.pngMoses Williams_ Overview Profile.pngRui Palmer_ Overview Profile.pngWayne Hunt_ Overview Profile.png

Next Season

Push on and establish our self as a National League side. Keep hold of Will Hoddle and blood a few more youngsters. Good cup run would be good to so we can push for a facilities upgrade! 

Career overview

Season	League					Pos	Top Goalscorer			Top Youth Prospect		Achievements			
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	Vanarama National South			1st	Daniel Carr (19)		Will Hoddle 			Champions
2018/19 Vanarama National			14th 	Daniel Carr (20)		Will Hoddle

I thought I'd give a quick resume of the youngsters I have and how they have progressed so far.

Abdullahi Nwankwo (YP18a) - Possibly our most talented player so far, but seems to be very injury prone. I hope he can overcome it and show his true potential.
Andy Bettis (YP18b) - A very good defender. Have gotten capped by England U19 and are getting attraction from the higher leagues. Will so far not sign a new contract.
Andrew Agboyi (YP18c) - He was a great talent, but have stalled the last year. I hope he still can get back to it.
George Harris (YP18d) - Our second choice goalkeeper. Have played a lot since Dale Eve have been injured a bit this season. Could be better than him in a few years.

Elliott Stewart (YP19a) - Fullback with lots of potential. Backup on both sides at the moment, but inching his way into the first team.
Brett Overton (YP19b) - Now our first choice defensive midfielder. Does great.

Barry Bruce (YP20a) - Still very young, but have scored quite a bit for us already.
Craig McDonnell (YP20b) - Backup central defender. I hope he can improve and fight for a spot in a few years.

Another season done, our second in League Two. Through the most of the season we were in the top 3 fighting for promotion and looking very good. However, towards the end, we suddenly got into a major slump and struggled quite a bit. In the last two matches we fell down into the playoff spots. We managed to beat Shrewsbury Town in the playoff semis and enter our second playoff final in a row. The final against Cambridge United was were close fought, but in the first half of extra time they scored what would be the winning goal. Our second playoff final loss in two seasons. Kind of gutted now, as we were looking great throughout most of the season only to throw it away in the final months.

At least I've gotten the board to approve of an improved youth level, so hopefully we will keep producing talented youngster who will help us get further up the pyramid.

The magic of the cup!!! managed to get to the third round and draw city away! 2-0 down at half time getting battered change to a 451 for the second half and then this!

Manchester City v Dulwich Hamlet_ Analysis Post-Match.png

Possibly the greatest ever result of my Football Manager career Big money replay should finally get the facilities upgrade 

Season 3 Update

Season of 2 half's for me first half we looked good mid table only a few points off playoffs we reached the third round of the FA cup drawing Man City away 2-0 down getting pumped i changed to a more attacking formation and in a crazy 10 minutes we dominated the premier league giants and Daniel Carr grabbed a brace to draw us level we spent the last 10 minutes containing them and earnt the replay. Unfortunately that was the moment when our season sort of took a nose dive we lost the replay 5-2 and inconsistency saw us lose and draw most of the games in the second half and we finished a disappointing 18th. The finances from the cup run allowed both training and youth facilities to be upgraded as well as the junior coaching and recruitment has been improved

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_  Competitions.png

The Team

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_  Overview.png

Youth Player Progress

Losing Will Hoddle to QPR importantly we managed to loan him back for the season and he is becoming a very good player who if we cannot get back on loan again next season he will leave a massive hole. Moses Williams became our second choice centre back and had a good season making 50 appearances.

Will Hoddle_ Overview Profile.pngMoses Williams_ Overview Profile.png

Youth Intake

Dulwich Hamlet Youth Candidates_ Squad Players.png

One player that will be starting next season is British/Brazilian right back Afonsinho hopefully he will become the next youngster to become a regular as right back is a problem position with little depth so he was a blessing when he popped up in the last intake. Other players of interest Goalkeeper Victor Pope, back up keeper Preston Edwards is starting to moan about lack of chances so pope could be jumping onto the bench next season. Ed Odametey decent lookin fullback, Terry Grainger Future Daniel Carr? and Anthony Mooney who is a centre midfielder.

Victor Pope_ Overview Profile.pngEd Odametey_ Overview Profile.pngTerry Grainger_ Overview Profile.pngAnthony Mooney_ Overview Profile.png

Next Season

Find a tactic that works! Push on and finish higher

Career overview

Season	League					Pos	Top Goalscorer			Top Youth Prospect		Achievements			
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	Vanarama National South			1st	Daniel Carr (19)		Will Hoddle 			Champions
2018/19 Vanarama National			14th 	Daniel Carr (20)		Will Hoddle
2019/20 Vanarama National			18th	Daniel Carr (19)		Afonsinho		

Ethan, I dont think anyone has lost carr, that would be a big blow. Promotion should see him stay.

Iain, The National League is a slog with only 1 promotion spot, took me a few seasons to get up. You are making progress though by improving infrastructure etc.

Season 9 Review

We started our second season in league 2 well and were 2nd place at the end of August, normal service was resumed soon enough though and we soon dropped down the table. This was due in part to our young strike pairing being unable to score. Including some games from last season Kemp had gone 20 games without a goal, my highly rated academy product, Daniel managed to score a couple before he himself went on a barren run. I had no choice but to persist but I had a look at a player last season, Mbala and altough he was not as highly rated he seemed to have the knack (hidden attributes) for goalscoring and replacing Daniel with him saw an upturn in form, Cole started assisting a lot before breaking his duck and going on to be a good foil for Mbala.

They are forming a good partnership, scoring at an acceptable rate and both improving well. I think they will develop sufficiently well to get us out of League 2 over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Anthony_Kemp_Overview_Profile.pngimagehost

Eden_Mbala_Overview_Profile.pngimage upload no compression

My 2 young strikers. Relying on them improving and firing us out of the division.

December was a terrible month, lost 5 league games in a row, after the 5th game I noticed the body language on a few of my players showed as ‘looking desperate’, not something I’d seem before and I didn’t like it one bit. Combined with the ‘man flu’ I’m being plagued with my own morale was suffering. Fortunately we had an FA Cup game against lower league opposition up next, I sent some of the promising youth products back to the under 18’s and started playing a few more ‘grizzled veterans’ instead, there’s only so many 16 year olds you can play in a team before getting found out. 

Sky_Bet_League_Two_Overview_Stages.pngjpg images

We won the cup game and then a checkatrade tie and after that we never looked back, we even made a run at the playoffs only missing out by 3 points but a couple of unlucky defeats put paid to that but I’m now hopeful for next season.

Couple of nice finds, Mbala is now first choice striker and I had a look at O’Flaherty, he scored direct free kicks in his first 2 games, started improving very rapidly and is now my pet project scoring 6 direct free kicks!

Youth intake saw a couple of prospects, but despite ‘exceptional’ junior coaching there CA’s are just too low to improve my first 11.

My best player, Terry Day has asked to leave, I said I’d consider any offers, he’s not wanted at the moment but it will be a long transfer window for me. After playing really well at Right Back I moved him to central defence where he’s averaging 7.03, that’s some rating for a centre back.

Terry_Day_Overview_Profile.pngpicture share

My best player, gutted if I lose him. Will want £1 million + and 12 month loan back agreement if he goes.

Finances are ok, we lost to Fulham in the 3rd round of the FA Cup put it was a paltry 12,000 attendance, really need a big tie to give the finances a lift. But a really low wage budget means we are stable.

Next season I am expecting top 10, outside chances of the play offs. Looking for my strikers in particular to improve both their ability and goal returns. Think we have the makings of a decent side.

Season done and this time we did it! Promoted as champions after 2 playoff finals lost! League One here I come! Nwankwo (YP18a) managed to stay mostly injury free this season and delivered with 27 goals in total. He also got a couple of U20 matches for Nigeria. I finally got the board to approve of an improved youth level, so we are now level 3. Looking forward to see if the level is much higher in League One next season, or if we can do quite well.

Season 1 Intake (Attempt 2)

Decent intake

Season1intake_zps0zdkgydi.jpg

yp18a_zpsccz37qsh.jpg

yp18b_zpsgludoylv.jpg

yp18c_zpshj0hn2w1.jpg

yp18d_zpsrciihzvi.jpg

I've only bothered tagging the 4 top players. The 4th one being a rubbish keeper, but I don't have a reserve.

Might try and get a couple of them some game time.

I am currently top of the league. It's very tight so I could still fail to make the playoffs.

Wow, it really went right down to the wire.

I won it on the final game of the season, had to rely on other results going our way, but thankfully they did :)

Season1Summary_zpstli9jrdh.jpg

As you can see from the image, Daniel Carr (who i've never had in either of my two attempts) is banging the goals in for Ebbsfleet.

S1PastPositions_zps2rj0llzk.jpg

I looked good for a while, but dipped right towards the end and was lucky to nick it on the last day.

Season 2 Expectations

I hope to try and secure Kevin Wrights signature, he's currently refusing to sign and he's one of my best players :(

I aim to stay up next season and see what I can do from there. I have a feeling I might lose some players to bigger clubs.

Carr was available on a free but wanted ridiculous money so I couldn't bring him back.

ive also lost my awesome left back. He got too big for the club and refused to sign a contract :(

bids have come in for Rowley whos rated as potentially being a leading league 2 player. He's annoyed as I turned down an offer for him :(

Archived