Dulwich Hamlet Academy Challenge - Champion Hill to Champions League!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 1 Update

So after a very tight season where there was never more than 10 points between top and 9th until the last few weeks of the season we manged to go on a run of 7 straight wins to clinch the title in the second last game of the season. Winning by 4 points in the end over St Albans City who only lost 5 games all year. Had a great run in the FA cup too reaching the First round losing to League 1 Rochdale.

Dulwich Hamlet Football Club_  Competitions.png

Youth Players

Will Hoddle made his way in to the first team squad. Wanted by Bishop Stortford already i managed to tie him down for 2 more years.

Will Hoddle_ Overview Profile.png

Career overview

Season	League					Pos	Top Goalscorer			Top Youth Prospect		Achievements			
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	Vanarama National South			1st	Daniel Carr (19)		Will Hoddle 			Champions

Season 6 Review

Mixed season really, got off to our now obligatory poor start before moving into a play off spot with 4 games to go. Despite being the far better team in 3 of those 4 games we lost them all to miss out on the play offs again.

Vanarama_National_League_Overview_Stagespc screenshot

On the upside we have become a good cup side, making the 3rd round of the FA for 2 years running, yet to bag a really lucrative tie but been a money spinner nonetheless, this year we finally bagged the FA Trophy with an extra time winner from my 16 year old 'nut job' Ryan Booth, against Accrington. This should give us a nice boost in reputation as well as some good cash.

On the player front, we will lose Greg Luyten as his contract expires before next season and he will not re-sign, him and Sykes were my 2 great hopes from my first youth intake and I've lost them both, Sykes has been rotting in Plymouths under 23's for 2 years, i'm going to try and get him back on loan next season, his contract is up in 12 months and i'll try to sign him permanently then. 

We have some decent players coming through Ryan Booth is already first choice, I have seen movement from him already which I have not seen from other Strikers, his acceleration has seen him skin these non league centre backs on a few occasions although he currently lacks the composure to finish a high percentage of these, I need an older player to get a grip on him and hopefully alter his 'slack' personality, but currently he's refusing to be tutored by anyone.

Scott_Mc_Farlane_Overview_Profile.pngimagehost

Scott MacFarlene has had a good first season, he went from having zero positional ability in midfield to accomplished in 10 games and was 'natural' in 20!

He should be fabulous in a couple of years.... if I can keep hold of him.

Kenny_Bremner_Overview_Profile.pngimage share

Bremner has been a disappointment, he's not really developing and now only has 3 star potential, will re think my strike pairing for next year, he will likely now be demoted to a useful back up.

Denis_Jelley_Overview_Profile.pngadult image

Jelley had another good season in midfield but he's rated as my best Striker, I see him as a perfect foil for Booth and if I have sufficiently strong midfield next season (if I loan back Sykes) i'll likely put him up front.

Time for a look at the wider Club, Junior Coaching is now 'exceptional' which I believe is the highest category possible. Had no option to increase youth recruitment yet. We have made one improvement to training facilities and they are now rated below average.

Dulwich_Hamlet_Facilities.pngphoto host

As for me, I have the highest coaching badge but still do not have an attribute in double figures! 

Steve_LL_Clayton_My_Profile_Profile.pngfree picture upload

Season 7 preview

With the loss of Luyten our midfield will be weaker than before but I still feel we can make the playoffs. I'll try and pin down my best players to the longest contracts possible so I don't lose them too easily. Looking for good cup runs, lots of cash and seek to make further infrastructure improvements ideally going full time.

I've about £150k in the bank as of now. I spent 400k on upgrading training facilities, my youth set up is costing me over £200k a year now.

With decent cup runs I'm still making £100k profit a season with 10k per week on wages.

Your running costs will be a lot lower in season 2, I think you can expect a nice profit although the cup runs will dictate that to an extent.

I'm fighting off bids for all my players now, best approach seems to be to renegotiate their offer upto a level beyond which they will pay, I,'ve been using £500k and make that non negotiable. 

They then withdraw their bid. Although they keep coming back with better offers. Bids for McFarlane are upto £170k, worried the board will accept if it goes much higher.

1 week till the window closes.

Unlucky Gareth, you should bounce back!

Good job on your promotion Xaw, great points tally.

Despite losing my midfield i'm somehow on a 24 game unbeaten run and second in the League.

Ryan Booth, my young prodigy is ripping it up and has a great partnership with Carr. However we are about to enter the January transfer window and half the Clubs in the Championship are lining up bids for him. If we keep him i'd say we have a 50% chance of promotion one way or the other, lose him and we'll need a lucky run into and through the playoffs.

The board have finally agreed to go Full Time at the end of the season, this will significantly impact the finances. I have £400k in the bank and a 3rd round FA Cup tie away at Blackburn which should be a money spinner, I want a big cash buffer for when we go fulltime.

If I can regroup the midfielders I've lost we should walk this league, Luyten is a free agent but still won't re-sign for us, Sykes won't come on loan but his contract is up in June so i'll try and get him then, McFarlane won't come on loan so i'm soldiering on with my limited midfield options.  

Just added Roll of Honour onto post 6.

Tracking promotions and Cup WINS (not runners-ups!).

Will probably add a players roll of honour as and when any of our academy products go on to represent their countries at full international level (i.e, not under 21's etc).

Hope I haven't missed anything.

Nice one matey :)

I am really struggling back in Vanarama South, the bookies predicted relegation again... I don't know how. I should have a squad capable of bouncing straight back up.

I lost a couple of old players in Tomlin and Nolan, but other than that its the same team and they weren't getting much game time anyway.

I also have the problem that half the squad wanted to leave when we got relegated and I promised them i'd let them go if we didn't go straight back up :(

I fear my time at Dulwich Hamlet may be almost over :(

Might be worth a restart unless your are prepared to hang in there.

4 of my starting 11 to get me out of the national league were already at the Club so you have the makings of a good team although I always felt I was lucky to get 2 stellar midfielders in my very first intake. (Sykes & luyten).

Its a tough challenge for sure.

40 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Might be worth a restart unless your are prepared to hang in there.

4 of my starting 11 to get me out of the national league were already at the Club so you have the makings of a good team although I always felt I was lucky to get 2 stellar midfielders in my very first intake. (Sykes & luyten).

Its a tough challenge for sure.

Yeah I was thinking about a restart.

Will see, if i don't get promoted then I will scrap it and start again.

Both are very useful for me since I only had one good left back and my best defensive midfielder (Kargbo) are retiring after the season. I'm not finding Vanarama National much different than the regional league. I'm currently in the playoff spot in 2nd place, though 7 points behind Accrington Stanley, who ran away early on. However, it's only 2 points down to 6th place, so everthing can happen in the final part of the season. I'm aiming for the playoffs already. We are conceding a lot more this season than last, but we also score lots of goals. Daniel Carr have been amazing for a second season running. 33 goals and 16 assists so far this season. Nwankwo (YP18a) have also had a very good season with his 19 goals.

Season Two done. We managed to get into the playoffs, and even get to the final. There we just crushed Grimsby Town 4-1 to get promoted to League Two. This triggered the need for a new stadium, seeing as Champion Hill didn't meet the criteria for League Two. We have relocated to Plough Lane, owned by AFC Wimbledon, while we are building our brand spanking new stadium, Dulwich Hamlet Stadium!  We also have a plan of going professional....after next season. :rolleyes: They changed their minds, we are professional now.

We also managed to win the FA Trophy after beating Vanarama North outfit Altrincham 2-1 in the final.

The youth players are coming along very good. Nwankwo (YP18a) scored a lot of goals, but have been targeted by higher tier teams like Port Vale. I've managed to keep them at bay so far. Hopefully our promotion to League Two will keep him happy longer.

Well that was nuts.

Having lost my 2 best midfielders in Luyten & McFarlane I had no expectations for this season, we were still tipped for relegation.

My one beacon of light was Ryan Booth, after some tutoring from Carr his determination increased which altered his personality from ‘slack’ to ‘balanced’ and he had been progressing well in the few months I had him. I fended off quite a few bids in August and was thankfully able to hang onto him.

In considering my team I was fairly strong upfront although Carr remained my first choice striker, weak in midfield, weak at Centre Back, fairly strong at Full Back and I had a good keeper. I didn’t fancy it at all.

However, after an inconsistent start we put together a 25 game unbeaten run from the end of August, a lot of these were draws which allowed Cheltenham to pull out a big lead at the top.

There seems to be a tipping point in FM where you can ride the crest of a wave, you draw games you should lose and win some games you should draw, you can also get on the wrong end of this as I suspect happened to Gareth, however we were able to ride this pretty much the whole season until the very end when my players started to get nervous. Fortunately Cheltenham faltered and we turned up and gave them a 5-1 hammering in front of their own fans which derailed their season, Maidstone came on strong but I noted they played each other the 2nd from last game of the season and sure enough they drew that match and a scruffy 1-0 win against FC United saw us promoted.  

We made the 3rd round of the FA Cup being drawn against Championship Blackburn, we got a lucky 0-0 at their place before taking them to Champion Hill and giving them a good hiding, this saw us get Tottenham away and a crowd of 61,000 enabled us to make £1 million profit in one month despite losing 4-0.

To add the icing on the cake we also picked up the FA Trophy again after getting lower division teams in both the semi’s and the final. (lucky again)

As of now we have £1.7m in the bank but I’ve requested upgrades to both Training & Youth Facilities which will swallow most of that + we are going full time.

I certainly DO NOT want to get relegated into the dog fight of the National League being mentally scarred from spending 6 seasons in it, so I have to gear up for my League 2 campaign but I’m already having problems keeping the squad together.

PLAYERS OF THE SEASON

This why Booth is so sought after PREMIER LEAGUE potential, good to know this quality can come out of our academies so early

Jelley is now a good goalscoring midfielder

And Carr is just a legend.

PREPARING FOR LEAGUE 2
I’m going to lose my Star Striker, Ryan Booth, he’s already put in a transfer request, he is currently wanted by 29 clubs including Premier League, there is no way I can stand in his way + bids will likely reach a level where my board jump in and accept so I would rather manage this myself to ensure he leaves on good terms as we may have a chance to sign him in the future, get full value for him, ensure we have a large sell on clause and try and get him loaned back to me for the season although this is unlikely.

Looks like I’ll be relying on Daniel Carr yet again along with the inconsistent Bremner to lead the line.

Shopping List  
Academy products which I’ve lost are fair game and I’m hoping at least one will rejoin me now I’m in League 2.

Shaun Sykes – Out of contract, been a bit part player at Plymouth, hoping that as I’m now League 2 he will consider signing for me.
Ross McFarlene – Bit Part player at Sheff United, still in contract, I have a £1 million transfer budget, will attempy to buy or loan him
Greg Luyten – Ended up at Tranmere, bit part player again, will attempt to buy or loan him

Think I’ll need to get at least one of these to have a chance at staying up.

Youth Intake

Got a promising defender this year, natural at Right Back but I need him at Centre Back so will be playing him there….. gonna have his hands full in League 2.

Big season ahead…….

42 minutes ago, XaW said:

Season Two done. We managed to get into the playoffs, and even get to the final. There we just crushed Grimsby Town 4-1 to get promoted to League Two. This triggered the need for a new stadium, seeing as Champion Hill didn't meet the criteria for League Two. We have relocated to Plough Lane, owned by AFC Wimbledon, while we are building our brand spanking new stadium, Dulwich Hamlet Stadium!  We also have a plan of going professional....after next season. :rolleyes: They changed their minds, we are professional now.

We also managed to win the FA Trophy after beating Vanarama North outfit Altrincham 2-1 in the final.

The youth players are coming along very good. Nwankwo (YP18a) scored a lot of goals, but have been targeted by higher tier teams like Port Vale. I've managed to keep them at bay so far. Hopefully our promotion to League Two will keep him happy longer.

Good Job XaW and about 5 seasons ahead of me!

That pace of Booth.... I'm guessing he ran away from everyone at this level! Day looks like he could be a gem at right back! Good luck in League Two! I think my promotion could be a season or two too soon, but I'll give it our best!

Booth is basically Jamie Vardy incarnate.

I'd agreed a nice deal with Southampton which included a 40% sell on clause AND them loaning him back to me for 12 months.

Then the idiot board started accepting offers from 6 or 7 other teams and he ended up going to Watford for a straight £900k...... grrrrr

None of my 'shopping list' former players will join me, but picked up a couple of early wins so not all bad.  

How is morale?

I'm pretty stable in League 2, keep drawing games with opponents getting late equalisers, often 35 yard long shots finding the top corner. Cant complain though.

However I'm losing £200k a month and am down to my last £500k. Soon be in debt.

Morale is ok.

Finances are shot though, I am -£250k

Yeah I am playing with your latest Rainmaker tactic at the moment, trying to tweak it a little. I find the Attackers are often to far from the midfield. I switched one of them to a Defensive forward. This seems to have stopped me taking so many long shots. I keep meddling with the Work Ball Into Box option as well. First game I did this and I was clinical. 5 Clear Cut Chances and 4 Goals. Not been so clinical since though. Also my 2 CB's seem to keep tripping over one another, haven't looked into that yet. I am just frustrated that I keep getting 10-15 shots, but only 3-4 on target.

I've stuck with the original tactic set, both my strikers got 25+ goals each last season so I've not tweaked the set up.

I've noticed I have the highest possession in the league down here, most seasons. Most teams must be playing direct/long. 

Had I not got out of the national league I might have explored that further.

As it is, the only change i've made is making the 'chase' version direct passing on the basis that I you cant dominate midfield you might as well bypass it.

Its a lot to do with player quality of course.

Season 8 Review
I'm satisfied with my first season in the football league proper, we won a couple of games early and were not in the relegation places at any point, we got to within 3 points of it during the run in and we had a few nervous moments but we were picking up points steadily via sequences of draws and the odd win so we pulled clear of trouble.

It’s helpful that there are only 2 relegation spots and looking forward its great there are 4 teams promoted every year, 3 automatically which bodes well.

Whilst there is nothing to fear in league 2 its worrying that Daniel Carr remains my best striker and Harris remains a first choice in midfield as they both have conference south/north ability. We have produced & lost 3 quality midfielders and 1 quality striker but with my Youth Set Up costing me £1.5 million+ a year I have high expectations from each intake now.

Infact, it would be far easier and far cheaper just to employ a couple of decent scouts and pick up free transfers, I can see why in real life clubs don’t go down the academy route!

But this is the challenge we set ourselves!

This year’s intake saw me get 2 strikers with potential, Daniel needs to be retrained which is a shame but has the pace to hurt teams already and should develop into a genuine threat, he is already the youngest goalscorer in League 2 history. Kemp is a natural striker and is showing signs of developing quickly.

A left and right footer combo, these 2 will be my first choice striker pair next season, its very risky relying on two 16 year olds to lead the line but thinking longer term there is no point playing Carr as he’s only going to get worse, playing these youngsters week in week out should see them develop enough in a couple of seasons to fire us out of League 2 and ultimately League 1.

Elsewhere Terry Day has had a great season at Centre Back but with the emergence of a couple of prospects means I can play him at Right Back next season and he should be awesome there.

Great physical stats for his age at this level.

None of my former players will rejoin, Sykes had been transfer listed for 20k, I had a bid accepted but his agent is being a knob. Will keep trying to get him as he would make a massive difference to my midfield.

Stadium expansion to 5,800 and new Youth & Training facilities were completed this year but I think that’s will be it until we have increased revenues from making it to League 1.

Lost £600k last season!

NEXT SEASON
Consolidate League 2 status, stabilize finances, ensure my young players continue to make progress particularly my new Strikers Daniel & Kemp so we can make make top 10 or play offs the season after.

Archived