"34": The Adventures of Mack Power- Making America the Greatness it Never Wasn't! (A Youth Only Series)

Chantu9Y

So having spent time trying to achieve success in South Africa in my other thread (Wild Cards: This Time For Africa), I have hit a wall in which my save isn't as entertaining any more, as it is more of a slow investment. Don't get me wrong, I still love the save and plan on continuing, however I wanted to do a separate side "project" as a way to stay engaged and keep things light. I've loved the narrative styles of fellow FM managers @ManUtd1, @BoxToBox, and @LPQR (definitely recommend following their threads) and wanted to try a narrative spin on something I've been contemplating. The other day, I was watching TV and caught a preview for a reboot of a show I used to love, "24". If you haven't seen it, I highly advise you take several shots of animal tranquilizers prior to binge watching it, as heart attacks are 65% likely to occur. The show is non stop action and involves Keifer Sutherland as the larger than life, Special Ops operative, Jack Bauer, as he literally saves the day in 24 hours in typical over-the-top fashion. It's addictive. Watching the previews brought back fond memories and planted an idea in my head. After the disappointing tenure of Jurgen Klinnsmann, the US national team is in a bad shape. And after a controversial election, the nation can feel divided. It's in times like these we need a hero...a role model...a visionary...We need Jack Bauer! Or maybe Keifer Sutherland. At this point, I dont know which is which any more. I've decided to start a youth only save in the MLS with the goal of taking one of the new expansion teams, Atlanta FC, to the summit and turn it into the US national team starting XI factory. The ultimate prize will be to win the Club World Championship and take over the USA national team with the aim of winning a World Cup! The twist...the coach is Jack Bauer- oops- I mean Mack Power, a former player/coach, who is dragged back into the limelight to lead them to glory. The thread will be written like the TV show "24", but since we have 34 games in the MLS season, hence the new title. Seasons will be played out like the action TV drama that spawned the idea and will be casted as such. And just like the TV show, our lead man, Keifer Sutherland, will have a hard time figuring out the oh so thin line between actor and actual real life hero:rolleyes:. As said before, this thread is meant to be fun and will be written that way. Hope you all enjoy "34": The Adventures of Mack Power- Making America the Greatness it Never Wasn't!!!!!

7l8uVEq.jpg

The scene opens up to a bar in the middle of Washington DC.  It is early morning and the parking lot is abandoned. A tattered American flag waves, lifelessly, over the bars name, "Stars and Stripes". It is eerily quiet as a black Ford sedan pulls into the parking lot. Two men in suits step out and scan the lot suspiciously before walking through the front door of the bar. The bar is a seedy establishment, filled with smoke and tired, depressed men. The smell of body odor and hard liquor fill the air. In the far corner, cuts a sad figure- a man in raggedy clothing lies in a pool of drool with his face down on the bar. The two men make their way towards him.

Agent 1: Mack Power?...Excuse me? Are you Mack Power?

The man slowly sits up, groggily.

jack-bauer2_528x297.jpg

Mack Power: Who's asking?

A1: Were here on behalf of a soccer team in the area. Perhaps you've heard of us? Atlanta FC?

MP: No I haven't, and quite frankly, whatever you're selling, I'm not buying. So you can see yourself out. Freddie! Let me get another rum and coke, hold the coke.

The two men shake their heads disappointedly.

Agent 2: We know who you are Jack- looks around embarrassed- I mean Mack! Or rather, who you used to be. You were a hell of a Sunday League player back in the day. Could've gone pro if you hadn't torn your knee up in that nasty tackle...

All three men look upwards with blanken stares, as the sounds of bones crunching and a young mans screams are heard in a flashback. A drunken passerby walks across the screen, waves his hands at them, at a drunken attempt to break them from their reverie. He shakes his head and walks away. The men slowly come back to reality.

MP: That was a long time ago...

A2: Hell, you were an even better manager. Could've taken that Sunday League team pro too if it wasn't for that accident...

The three men once again stare at nothing in the distance while the same sound bite plays back. Slowly they get back on track.

A1: That's actually why we're here Mack. We've been looking for someone to run this team. It's got a lot of promise: great youth system, nice facilities, a handsome General Manager, you name it. Plus, you ever been to "Hotlanta"? It's bangin. 

MP: What is this, a joke?

A2: Look Mack, after the debacle of Klinnsmanngate, America needs someone to pick them up by their bootstraps and make them great again. The MLS is confusing as hell, the national team is a laughingstock, and we're basically recycling our managers because we've run out of ideas. Other nations are rising against us, Mack, and they think we're a joke.

A1: Everyone's getting better but us, Mack. The Russians, the Chinese, Mexico, hell Costa Rica!

MP: (Spits up liquor) WHAT THE F$@&?!?! WE LOST TO COSTA RICA?!?!

A2: Its bad, Mack. The US needs hope. We need you...America needs you.

A long, tense pause fills the room. Mack looks up with defeated eyes.

MP: I...I can't. I...have a family. A wife...a 16year old daughter...I can't put them through that hell again...I'm sorry.

The agents look distraught. They shake their heads and start to walk away. Agent 1 pauses, walks back and hands Mack a business card.

A1: This is Carlos Bocanegra's personal line, if you change your mind. Just...think about it. Think about...Amuurrica. Also, if he tries to FaceTime you, don't look in his eyes. Seriously. He's pretty damn handsome.

He walks away, embarrassed. The agents leave the bar and drive away into the distance. Mack stares long and hard at the card and looks around. He looks at the tired, broken men inside. They stare back, expectantly. There is a feeling of expectation inside, a hope long forgotten. The sound of a man flatulating in the background breaks the silence as "God Bless the USA" plays in the background. Mack steps off the stool and walks outside. He looks around and the music gets louder. He sees children running around, playing touch football across the street. He sees a bald eagle soar across the sky. He sees a "lady of the night" eating besides a McDonalds. He sees the aforementioned children throwing rocks at a bum. Lastly, he sees the American flag, now waving proudly in the air. The music hits its peak.

MP: It's f@$&*'! on! Let's do this America. I'm about to make you great again!

932cc2f2bc65c0ba2474f050947ccec6.jpg

7l8uVEq.jpg

"34" Season One Cast

24-Jack-Bauer-sky-com.jpg

Keifer Sutherland as Mack Power "The Head Coach"

dennis-haysbert-2-sized.jpg

Dennis Haysbert as Darren Eales "The President"

5c5ee902a12ca92eb5aad181cc3cbb9c-55882.j

Carlos Bernard as Matuzalem "The Ass Man"

Xander-Berkeley.jpg

Xander Berkeley as John Yazzie "The Shady Team Doc"

james-badge-dale-premiere-the-lone-range

James Badge Dale as Jesus Otero "The Youthful HOYD"

MV5BMTgzNDU5NzE3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY2

Eric Balfour as Stephen King "The Scout No One Likes"

and 

leslie-hope-1-sized.jpg

Leslie Hope as Terri Power "The Bossy Wife"

Elisha-Cuthbert-Photos.jpg

Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Power "Seriously, She's 16?! And Related to You?!"

And introducing 

bocamuffin.jpg

Carlos Bocanegra as Himself "The Dashing GM"

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

In! This should be loads of fun!

3 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hahaha...his outfit alone is worth the follow!

Lol cheers guys! I'm enjoying just setting up the plot! Looking forward to keep you all entertained!

side note- if you liked his outfit, his birthday is 200 years after the nations independence! Ammuurrica!

I'm surprised you haven't put this in FM Stories, it seems you have an interest in the narrative part of this journey. Funny stuff, never watched the show but this should be pretty fun nonetheless!

Jack-Bauer-Kiefer-Sutherland.jpg

The scene opens up with Mack Power, cooly walking into a large briefing room. He is surrounded by his full complement of staff, including Carlos Bocanegra, who for some reason is kicking back in a bathrobe. Mack Power is clean-shaven, and he looks as if he has been reinvigorated. He sits down and the meeting begins.

Carlos Bocanegra: I'm glad everybody could make it. I just wanted to touch base with everyone before the start of pre-season. We need to assess the tactics that we're going to use and go over who our star players will be.

MP: I have a great idea about who we need to buy in the next-

CB: Hold on just a second! There was something we forgot to mention. We don't want to buy any players.

MP:...What the hell are you talking about?!

CB: We want to only use homegrown players. I thought our agents told you this. My apologies, but I just assumed you were aware that, while we have the finances, we want this club to be homegrown.

The Star-Spangled Banner begins to play in the background.

CB: I have a vision.  In my vision is America. Not this soft, hot trash that we're putting out. Half the players I don't recognize, and the ones that I do are old and worn out. I miss the days of Alexi Lalas and Cobi Jones. I miss the days where our players basically wore out the opponents and ground out 1-0 victories. That's success. By any means necessary. That's America!

The room stands up and begins a thunderous applause, as tears are brought to the eyes of all members. Mack Power is the only one who is still seated, looking confused.

MP: So you're telling me I have five preseason games to figure out a tactic, our starting 11, and a game plan for the coming season and I can only use our Youth System???

CB: Yes, that sounds about right.

Mack Power stands up and overturns the table in a sheer feat of strength. He tears his shirt off and screams at the ceiling before turning to Carlos.

MP: Damn it, that's not enough time!!!!!

The room looks understandably concerned, as if this wasn't in the script. Suddenly, the doors open and in walks Dennis Eale.

CB: Good morning, Mr. President! We weren't expecting you.

Dennis Eale: As you were. Except for you, Mack... you could probably use a shirt.

MP: I'm sorry, Mr. President!...I just needed to vent.

DE: Understandable. Great pecs, by the way.

The president pulls out a t-shirt from nowhere and hands it to Mack Power, who embarrassingly puts it on. The other members of the board promptly begin to return the table to its original position.

MP: Thank you, Mr. President.

DE: We are excited to have you on board, Mack. We think you have a lot of potential and can really unlock the qualities of this team. I have high hopes. Show us what you can do with these five games, and we'll see where we go from there. Are you up for the task?

MP: I'm always up for the task, Mr. President.

DE: Good. America needs you. Now...as you were.

The president precedes to overturn the table himself, rips off Mack Power's t-shirt, and walks out of the room. An awkward silence fills the conference room.

CB: So... Let's get this show on the road.

The countdown timer begins.

1 hour ago, Chantu9Y said:

DE: Good. America needs you. Now...as you were.

The president precedes to overturn the table himself, rips off Mack Power's t-shirt, and walks out of the room. An awkward silence fills the conference room.

:lol:

Like something out of a Mel Brooks movie, genius!

The scene opens up as Mack Power strides into the dimly-lit conference room. Tense music is playing in the background, as he strides forward towards his chair. All members of his backroom staff are seated, anxiously waiting for the meeting to commence. Mack hurriedly shuffles through stacks of paper that are in front of him.

Mack Power: Alright guys, what do we look like? I need answers, and I need them now. Pre-season's over and we're about to get this s$#@ kick started. There's no time to waste, and the pressure is on. We need to give America something to smile about again. Matuzalem, you are my right hand man. You're my eyes and ears in the locker room. You know the pulse of the team. What's going on? What are the players talking about? What are they thinking? Whats their favorite nude joint and what's the cover charge? Talk to me dammit!

Matuzalem: Yeah man, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I get that you want me to be really involved with these players and know what's going on. But I have to say, it's really weird that you moved my office into the team locker room. It's really hard for me to get my work done when the guys are changing in front of me. Quite frankly, I think it makes them really uncomfortable.

MP: Matty, we don't have time to listen to your feelings right now! I need to know what the hell we're doing with this team!

M: Okay look, we're not very good, we have a lot of injuries, and we don't have much depth. We can build around McCann, Otto, Carleton, and Villalba. Other than that, we're pretty rough around the edges. The good news is that expectations are low, and we're expected to finish dead-last. Quite frankly, I like our odds.

MP: You heard the man! We need to get to work on meeting those expectations! Otero, speak to me! How are we looking with our youth?

Jesus Otero: Well, if you look at our Squad, we are relatively young throughout. We have two current u-20 Internationals in Carleton and Gosling. Both players looks really promising, and are people we can build around. Nix and Otoo are also two forwards with a lot of potential. I think overall, we are in a good spot.

There is silence in the room as Mack Powers intensely studies the young HOYD.

MP: Otero, remind me again, how old are you?

JO: I am 51 sir.

MP: No seriously, how old are you?

JO: I'm 51 sir. I know, I look really good for my age. The truth is...I have Benjamin Button syndrome. It's hereditary, I get it through my mom's side. Speaking of, I can't stay long for this meeting. I have to pick her up from daycare.

MP: I understand. Family comes first. Now on to the medical side. Yazzie, give me some good news. You're the best in the biz. We seem to have a lot of injuries now, but I have full faith that with your help, we can get our boys back out there on the field. I'm particularly pleased about the outlook on McCann. When he first came back injured  I was worried that this could be an issue. But I was relieved when you told us that he had a minor knee contusion and would only be out for two weeks. What's his status now? He's a big part of our plans.

John Yazzie: Right, well the good news is McCann is recovering. The bad news is that knee contusion...is a sprain. And by sprain, I mean he tore his ACL. And by two weeks, I mean 5-7 months.

Mack Power screams in anger, pulls a hammer from beneath the table, and smashes it into the wall.

MP: What the hell do you mean he's out for that long?!

JY: Listen man, I'm a doctor not a psychic! How the hell was I supposed to know he tore his ACL? I don't have X-ray vision or magic magnets to look in his knee! Weve only come so far in the field of modern medicine!

MP: Sigh, I understand. What about the others?

JY: Well the good news is that they can be back within a matter of 8 days. The bad news is that they can be out for as long as six weeks. We'll have a better idea as time goes on.

MP: Dammit, I need good news!!

Stephen King: Well I'm glad you mentioned that! I'd be happy to--

MP: Who the hell are you???

SK: Me? I'm Stephen King.

MP: The author? Why are are you here?! Who sent you?!

Mack Power proceeds to leap across the table and tackle Stephen to the ground, pummeling him.

SK: I'm not the author! I'm your scout! Your scout!

MP: So you're a spy!!!

SK: No! Well, technically yes!

MP: No?! Yes?! Which is it?! Who sent you?!

SK: You did! You send me on assignments to spy on the opposing teams! Stop hitting me!

Mack Power gradually calms down and gets off the visibly shaken and disheveled scout.

MP: Sorry about that. You should've told me to begin with.

SK: What?!

M: In all fairness...Stephen did come on a little strong.

JY: Yeah, and you look like creeper to begin with.

Everyone in the room nods in agreement. Stephen looks on, bewildered. After a brief pause, Mack looks around.

MP: (To King) So what are you waiting for?

SK: What?

MP: Why are you still here? Shouldn't you be scouting?

SK: I--I was! I'm just reporting ba--

MP: Dammit King! I don't need another best-selling novel, I need information! Weaknesses! Get your butt to work and back out in the field!

Stephen gets off the floor and slowly gathers his things before leaving the room, thoroughly confused.

MP: Alright everyone, back to work. America isn't gonna be great on its own!

The meeting is adjourned.

The countdown timer continues...

On 1/11/2017 at 00:00, oriole01 said:

I'm surprised you haven't put this in FM Stories, it seems you have an interest in the narrative part of this journey. Funny stuff, never watched the show but this should be pretty fun nonetheless!

I thought about it but I like this section and am big on updating about the club/youth development. I've learned a lot on these threads!

On 1/11/2017 at 08:36, BluesGuy said:

This is such a great idea, I'm already loving it! Hope you push on.

Much appreciated! Glad you're enjoying it!

On 1/11/2017 at 13:51, Ceching You Out said:

Mack Power is so very close to "Max Power" that it makes me think of this episode every time I read it:

"Nobody snuggles with Max Power, Marge. You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"

On topic: really enjoying the story so far!

Love the Simpsons! And yes agreed, I actually debated upon calling him Max but wanted Keifer to stick as close to his "24" roots as possible

On 1/11/2017 at 14:15, BoxToBox said:

:lol:

Like something out of a Mel Brooks movie, genius!

Mel is definitely a source of inspiration! Thanks a lot! Glad you're enjoying it!

On 1/11/2017 at 16:42, ManUtd1 said:

Or a Mel Gibson movie.

giphy.gif

Lol Mack Power approves!:thup:

Archived