Tactical Central & Strategy Design by LL

23 hours ago, Loversleaper said:

Long kicks for the Defensive Strategy - the rest of the strategies I would keep as is unless you notice that your keeper doesn't have good kicking skills. I remember, although I can't remember which goal keeper it was, that the goalie I was using had throwing(16) and kicking(6) --- so naturally it is better for him to throw the ball... Sometimes with those games you tend to struggle in, I would watch the game for a while and see exactly what is going on. Sometimes you can spot that it is the goal keeper distribution or build up of play that keeps losing the ball in vital situations and here it is good to check your settings. Always a good idea with these tactic sets just to run through the instructions and see if the players attributes suit the situation - and that is quite important with the set-play area as well...

Good luck!

Loversleaper, as promised here is my update after nineteen league games:

P19 W5 D2 L2 F13 A9   W4 D1 L5 F12 A19  PTS30  POS 7th.

I've stuck to your suggestions and I'm finding that while we get some very good results, Spurs (H) 4-0, West Ham battered us 1-5 (A) I'm now unsure whether we are still a relegation battler or have now progressed to being a tactician. Generally I find that the football is more expansive, that is, using the wing backs out very wide, when using the defensive mode. Then, as I go up the gears, so to speak, the football becomes a little faster and not so very wide. Any assistance would be gratefully accepted.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems increasingly that when you are favorite at home (even slight favorites) that it is a more viable option to play Attacking Strategy - regardless... I am a little reserved to add that into the thread because we are all waiting for the update and who knows what will be the case in terms of strategy corrections. Normally as a Relegation Battler, I would play Control at home where odds where tight (slight underdog or slight favorite) - but after trying things in different scenarios, I have come to the conclusion that as slight underdog Control does better than worse still - but as slight favorite, Attacking does better with stats and results in the long term - even in the lowest leagues, which is kind of surprising considering my experiences with previous versions of the ME.

@Finknottle - given your results with the team you mentioned, I think you are actually doing quite well to be honest. When I tested the 5-1-2-2_DM with Watford I did pretty similar in terms of results - which I thought was pretty decent regarding the squad's overall strength. The formation normally allows the opposition to mostly shoot from a distance - which is pretty good as the conversion rate of those type of shots are a lot lower than close range shots. The way the ME presents the formation is a little strange because sometimes it looks like the wide center-backs are basically holding hands with the wingbacks during goalkeeper distribution, and this happens even though the centerbacks are on Defend Duty and the wingbacks are on Attack Duty. I am hoping those little blemishes get ironed out at some point and SI towers make the formation visually better...

This brings me to the next point and that is the striker partnership is pretty vital if you want to get the most out of your attacking play. Here are some examples of what I have tried and tested which seem to work pretty well:

Deep Lying Forward (support) and Advanced Forward (attack) - this is a no-brainer of course

False9 (support) and Poacher (attack)

False9 (support) and Target Man (attack)

Defensive Forward (support) and Complete Forward (attack)

Complete Forward (support) and Poacher (attack)

Defensive Forward (support) and Trequartista (attack)

These combinations offer 'diversity' in attacking movements - in other words, you won't have players with the same type of instructions. If you do use other combinations, I would try to avoid things like having both strikers holding up on ball or both running with the ball or both having risky passes because my experience is that these type of similarities can really hamper your team in the attacking phase. If you do have a strike pair that has diversity but lack, for example, risky passes within the role - then I would have someone a little further down the pitch that attempts 'risky passes' because some of these type of instructions are pretty handy if you want to open up your opponents. I like to 'cover the bases' with instructions when making tactics so my team has a little bit of everything (if possible) and avoid having too much of one thing (if you understand what I mean)...

Roles with their instructions can really help in achieving how you want to play as long as you don't overdo things, in my opinion. If your set-up is good then your teams movement improves immensely.

Edited by Loversleaper

On 27/02/2017 at 17:42, Loversleaper said:

It seems increasingly that when you are favorite at home (even slight favorites) that it is a more viable option to play Attacking Strategy - regardless... I am a little reserved to add that into the thread because we are all waiting for the update and who knows what will be the case in terms of strategy corrections. Normally as a Relegation Battler, I would play Control at home where odds where tight (slight underdog or slight favorite) - but after trying things in different scenarios, I have come to the conclusion that as slight underdog Control does better than worse still - but as slight favorite, Attacking does better with stats and results in the long term - even in the lowest leagues, which is kind of surprising considering my experiences with previous versions of the ME.

@Finknottle - given your results with the team you mentioned, I think you are actually doing quite well to be honest. When I tested the 5-1-2-2_DM with Watford I did pretty similar in terms of results - which I thought was pretty decent regarding the squad's overall strength. The formation normally allows the opposition to mostly shoot from a distance - which is pretty good as the conversion rate of those type of shots are a lot lower than close range shots. The way the ME presents the formation is a little strange because sometimes it looks like the wide center-backs are basically holding hands with the wingbacks during goalkeeper distribution, and this happens even though the centerbacks are on Defend Duty and the wingbacks are on Attack Duty. I am hoping those little blemishes get ironed out at some point and SI towers make the formation visually better...

This brings me to the next point and that is the striker partnership is pretty vital if you want to get the most out of your attacking play. Here are some examples of what I have tried and tested which seem to work pretty well:

Deep Lying Forward (support) and Advanced Forward (attack) - this is a no-brainer of course

False9 (support) and Poacher (attack)

False9 (support) and Target Man (attack)

Defensive Forward (support) and Complete Forward (attack)

Complete Forward (support) and Poacher (attack)

Defensive Forward (support) and Trequartista (attack)

These combinations offer 'diversity' in attacking movements - in other words, you won't have players with the same type of instructions. If you do use other combinations, I would try to avoid things like having both strikers holding up on ball or both running with the ball or both having risky passes because my experience is that these type of similarities can really hamper your team in the attacking phase. If you do have a strike pair that has diversity but lack, for example, risky passes within the role - then I would have someone a little further down the pitch that attempts 'risky passes' because some of these type of instructions are pretty handy if you want to open up your opponents. I like to 'cover the bases' with instructions when making tactics so my team has a little bit of everything (if possible) and avoid having too much of one thing (if you understand what I mean)...

Roles with their instructions can really help in achieving how you want to play as long as you don't overdo things, in my opinion. If your set-up is good then your teams movement improves immensely.

Does the advice regarding the use of attacking strategy also apply to slight favourites at a neutral ground? Also have you begun trying the 4123 versions yet?

1 hour ago, Hulkster79 said:

Sorry this may sound thick!, But how do you get 7 tactics to fluid? Or do you just use a few of them please explain. :)

You decide if you are master class, tactician or relegation battler and then use the three appropriate strategies in the slots (although be aware of LL advice about using attacking even if slight favourite). If you require to use one that is not in the 3 slots then just load it but make sure you only do it either once you have submitted the team and before the team talk or during the match itself and then the familiarity won't be affected so much. 

2 hours ago, Hulkster79 said:

Sorry this may sound thick!, But how do you get 7 tactics to fluid? Or do you just use a few of them please explain. :)

I tend to have three different strategies in the slots and spread them out a little in conjunction with what I think will be the areas (strategy-wise) my team will most likely be using during the season. As loisvale said, you might choose differently if you are battling relegation than you would for a team gunning to win the league. When your team does get familiar with your chosen strategies, then changing them during matches to some of the other mentality frameworks won't penalize your familiarity that much.

In regards to using Attacking strategy I would proceed cautiously and use it as large favorite or if you are Master-Class as explained in the thread. Down the line when your team (as a relegation battler or tactician) starts to do really well just be aware that you most likely will go through a 'transition phase' where at home you might have to move more forward to get results.

13 hours ago, Shauny1990 said:

When will the Simeone tactic get uploaded LL?

With the updated patch, I threw away all my old games and started from scratch but should have them up soon. I am trying to get the 4-1-2-3_DM tactics finished first, though, as these tactics are well balanced and result-wise the most stable of the lot... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...