The Rise of Atletico Madrid and Diego Simeone

Simeone's Major Honours with Atletico

La Liga (1): 2013–14 

Copa del Rey (1): 2012–13

Supercopa de España (1): 2014

UEFA Europa League (1): 2011–12

UEFA Super Cup (1): 2012

UEFA Champions League Runner-up (2): 2013–14, 2015–16

Simeone has established Atletico as a Spanish giant as Real, Barcelona and Atleti challenge for the title every year, one of the most sought managers in Europe here is why Simeone has been so successful in transforming a mid table Atletico Madrid side into one of the most feared teams in Europe not only able to compete in the Champions League and domestically but Reach the final twice and become champions of La Liga.

Under Simeone Atlético Madrid play a unique style of football in comparison to the rest of the modern game, whilst teams like Barcelona prefer a 'Tiki Taka' philosophy dominating most matches with patient passing and keeping a large percentage of the ball or teams like Arsenal playing a vibrant attacking (4)-2-3-1 set up :lol:, Diego Simeone prefers a classic 4-4-2 formation but is much more advanced and effective than the old target man and poacher set up. Simeone engrains cohesion, organisation and discipline into his side in order to try and achieve a result, set up with 2 banks of 4 and 2 front men every player on his team contributes to the defensive and pressing side of the game with a lot of ground to cover attacking and defending as a unit, Simeone has his men set to press high up the field in an attempt to win the ball early on starting with his forwards and if the ball crosses into his teams territory his defensive line retreats much deeper and his team sit very narrow compressing the space in the centre of the pitch and forcing the opposition out wide where their wingers are pressed aggressively and a counter attack is quickly launched.

- Against stronger opposition Atletico Madrid are known to sit deep and frustrate the opposition in an attempt to grind out a result
- Against weaker opposition Atletico sit with a higher defensive line in an attempt to compress the space in the opposition half with a high tempo to unsettle them and get a goal.

This tactic will attempt to:

- Play a narrow 4-4-2 shape and use it to similar effect as Atletico Madrid.
- Emulate Diego Simeone and Atletico's Pressing.
- Remain disciplined in attack and defence.
- Play high pressing high tempo counter attacking football.
- Remain hard to break down and frustrate opponents
- Rely on teamwork, work rate and aggression rather than technical ability of individuals to win games.

Main Attributes for this style of play (DNA):

- Team work: You want players to play together and work as a unit in attack and defence.
- Work rate: Players will have to press all day long, there will be no room for players unwilling to press with a low work rate attribute
- Aggression: Players will have to be aggressive in winning back the ball (Increases chance of successful pressing)
- Off The Ball: Players will have a good understanding and make great off the ball runs.
- Positioning: Players knowing where they should be in attacking and defensive situations is crucial.

Atletico Madrid Shape variety

ATLETICOS SHAPE IN ATTACK                                              BASIC SHAPE                                              ATLETICOS SHAPE IN DEFENSE
                                                                                 ATLETIC ATTACK LINE UP.pngATLETICO Line up.pngAtletico line up defense.png

Goalkeeper: A good shot stopper as he will face a large amount of long shots when playing deep in ur own half ( Jan Oblak )

Wingbacks: Must be able to get up and down the field and contribute to attacking and defensive phases of the game - high stamina work rate and positioning ( Felipe Luis + Juanfran )

Centre backs: Must be able to keep shape in defense and intercept stray passes - Positioning and Marking must be high ( Godin + Gimenez )

Wide Midfielders: One is set as a winger and one is set as a wide playmaker but both appear as Wide Midfielders but with PI's they fulfill their role and helps ensure they don't neglect their

defensive responsibilities, Must have High work rate, stamina and first touch. ( Koke + Carrasco )

- DLP/S: Sit deep and keep shape in defense - Must be an all round player with good stamina work rate tackling passing and vision ( Gabi )

- CM/S: A box to box midfielder without the free roam PI player will press high up the field hold team shape in defence and have good physical attributes to be able to contribute to fast counter attacking bursts up field - Must have high stamina work rate passing and dribbling (Tiago)

- DLF: Both strikers will have to defend deep in their own half and press high up the pitch whilst also linking up in attack with team mates - Must have good work rate dribbling passing vision and off the ball.

**Aggression is also an important attribute but not vital**

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

team instructions.png

The team instructions are not set and stone and may be changed whatever your preference.

Higher Tempo: Increases chances of fast counter attacks and unsettles opponents

Narrow: Midfield and defence will sit narrow and compress the space the opposition has to work with

Slightly Deeper Defensive line: ** Must be adjusted in game depending on opponent** Put to normal or slightly higher if you feel you need to attack.

Be More Disciplined: Must work as a team and follow tactical instructions no flashy passes or wasteful dribbles to disrupt the flow of play

Pass into space: Exploit the space in behind opposition defence

Play out of defence: Discourages long balls from the back and encourages players to either run or work the ball upfield

***Optional***

Look for overlap: To bring wing backs into play more often ( will already be involved in the game due to their attacking roles )

Work ball into box: Only to be used against weaker opposition

Run at defence: Use if your team has good dribblers amongst its ranks it can be useful on the counter attack bypassing defenders and taking them out of the game.

Opposition Instructions *VITAL*

Absolutely crucial in emulating Atletico's pressing, set to press every player in defensive positions (High Press) and to stay solid in the centre until the ball is out wide (Wide Press)

opposition instructions.png

TACTICAL ANALYSIS:

Team Shape -

Atletico shape.pngteam shape.png

Crucial in Providing a Solid Basis in pressing and being defensively disciplined and hard to break down.

- 2 narrow banks of four in a solid team shape, forwards helping press the ball encouraging opposition to launch a long ball and give away possession, acts as an iron curtain making it difficult for opposition to break down and hurting opposition on the counter attack, all players must contribute to pressing and stay in shape.

High Press -

fm high press 5556.pnghigh pressing.png

In this screenshot both teams are situated high up the field in the oppositions half pressing aggressively in an attempt to win the ball back providing successful may lead to a goal scoring opportunity as team mates run forward in support, both sets of strikes are forcing opponents into making a mistake whilst the other is man marking or cutting passing lanes the other is aggressively closing down the ball.

Wide Pressing -

atletico wide press TI.pngFM wide press 00012.png

Simeone's side are known to keep shape in the centre of the field whilst forcing opponents out wide with pressing from the strikers, once the opposition have the ball on the flank the team adjust and close the ball down with aggression whilst keeping team shape and launching a counter attack.

Bellow is an example that lead to a goal scoring chance.

This time the ball was successfully won back and the team are set for a fast attack at goal to catch the opposition off guard

- Defensive line pushes higher

- Players surge forward

-Disciplined shape and fast attack

- Passing options became available and players exploit the poor positioning of the opposition

wide press goal 9.png - Wide press goal 55.pngWIDE PRESS GOAL ddd.png  

-  Space Opens up behind the defence and a clear cut chance has appeared

- Wide midfielders display good off the ball runs that lead to a goal.

-

LAST 1.png

- WM/A surges forward and finds himself in a good position

- Keeper makes a good save and the ball falls nicely for the open goal.

PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS FOR EACH ROLE

PI.png

4-4-2 Simeone_4AE1D7E8-9A8E-41D9-A326-F2FD9A000FB0.fmf

Best of the 3

!!!New updated strikerless Tactic!!!

442 Diego Simeone Strikerless_3F30D31F-2F33-4429-8D1F-3080234EBB47.fmf

high pressing.png

formation underdog.png

OhhScottySinclair's - Rise of Diego Simeone - Underdog_D077F2D8-5E8F-4C14-B1C3-128B97DD11A1.fmf

Edited by OhhScottySinclair

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Apostrophe said:

Good thread! :) 

Just wondering what was the intention of asking the keeper to distribute over opposition defence? Has this led to more stray balls passed to the opposition? 

Thanks mate. :brock:

My intention was to catch the opposition off guard transitioning into defence and start a counter attack, it can lead to a lower pass % but led to more goal scoring chances than any other option.

Been playing around with this, as I tried to emulate Simeone a lot in FM16. I'm playing with Newcastle at the moment and it's very leaky with both setups especially on corner routines, at least for me. I think I'm going to give it a try with FB-S instead of CWB-S.

Edited by Ghents

2 hours ago, Ghents said:

Been playing around with this, as I tried to emulate Simeone a lot in FM16. I'm playing with Newcastle at the moment and it's very leaky with both setups especially on corner routines, at least for me. I think I'm going to give it a try with FB-S instead of CWB-S.

Have you tried WB-S? Simeone's wingbacks bomb forward often, tho

17 hours ago, Rashidi said:

This shout does not affect your defensive posture, so you are right.

:O Really? 

I thought it's more off-posession instruction. Many users often write here, that it's good to sit narrower if you want to be more solid in defence. It's a big surprise for me, that this instruction does not affect defensive play.

So how it's possible to play compact, narrow defence in FM? What shouts should I use? Or maybe it's only mentality/shape? 

1 hour ago, szp said:

:O Really? 

I thought it's more off-posession instruction. Many users often write here, that it's good to sit narrower if you want to be more solid in defence. It's a big surprise for me, that this instruction does not affect defensive play.

So how it's possible to play compact, narrow defence in FM? What shouts should I use? Or maybe it's only mentality/shape? 

Yes really.  And if users often write anything else, they'll be corrected (if we notice it).

When defending, your team retreats into a compact defensive shape regardless of your tactical settings. 

The Width TI for example tells your players to play wider (or narrower) when you have the ball.  If setting a narrow width your players may transition back into their defensive shape slightly faster as they have less far to run, but it doesn't affect their actual defensive shape.

Played around this a little more and made a simple change that stabilized a lot of things for me: Drop the DLP and CM to the DM position with the same PI. Just tick "get further forward" for the DM and viola. 

Most of your attacks are coming from the wings anyway so the DLP will still flip the flanks and distribute there, the wide men still bring it in to the strikers and the DM still offers picking up the ball when it's cleared and recycling.

Tactic is going very well I found myself struggling to score initially but as the team have got use to the formation we're getting better going forward, love how the 2 banks of four frustrate the opposition most of their highlights are hit and hopes from 25 yards out

3 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

Your OI are impressive, @OhhScottySinclair. I've used them on my formation (a defensive 4-4-2-0) and I immediately managed to get 9 (nine!) consecutive clean sheets with a relegation favourite in the Belgian first division. Wonderful.

Interested to see your tactical set up and results, always been a fan of strikerless tactics.

Edited by OhhScottySinclair

3 hours ago, Sunwell said:

How much possesion do you guys haven playing with these tactics? And how many shoots, goals and chances do you create and gets create again st you?

Possession is normally quite even maybe late 40's sometimes, shots chances etc we seem to create a fair few and for chances against I seem to nullify opposition a lot sure they have some chances but they're normally from range 

8 hours ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

Interested to see your tactical set up and results, always been a fan of strikerless tactics.

I use a strikerless tactic because it's not possible to make strikers defend deep without making them mark a CM. The downside of playing strikerless is that the two most advanced players (my 'strikers') don't exactly behave like strikers when we're in possession. Even my SS acts too much as a playmaker. Here, you can see my tactic and the TI.

KV Red Star Waasland-Sportkring Beveren_  Overview.png

As you may see, I got my inspiration from Simeone too. My fullbacks are conservative though, they probably could play a bit more attacking, but then again, my squad is quite weak, so at the moment, I don't want to experiment too much, since things are going well. My defence is as deep as possible, since my CB's aren't that fast. If I push up a bit, I almost immediately get caught on a break. With a stronger squad, I'd play a bit higher than I would now.

PI are as follows:

GK (SKa): tackle harder, more direct passes, long kicks, distribute to AMCL (Ideally a GK who's good on high balls, command of area, reflexes and rushing out)

RB and LB (FBs): more risky passes, cross more often, cross aim far post, run wide with ball, close down much more (Quick FB's with good tackling)
CB's (CDd): more direct passes, close down much less (Tall CB's who have a good sense of positioning too)

RM and LM (WMa): roam from position, more risky passes, cross more often, cross aim far post (Inverted wingers who are quick and good in passing, dribbling and crossing)
CM (CMd): mark tighter, more direct passes (A tall holder with a good pass, a workhorse)
CM (CMs): mark tighter, hold position, more direct passes, more risky passes (A playmaker with good workrate)

AM (SSa): tackle harder, mark tighter, more direct passes, close down much more (A hard working dribbler, quick, good finisher)
AM (AMs): tackle harder, mark tighter, get further forward, close down much more (A dynamic targetman)

There could be some tweaking with the offensive settings; the crosses almost never reach my 'targetman', FB's could be more offensive, the CMs could be unleashed more often... My passing instructions are quite extreme. That's to decrease possession, which is still too high for my liking.

OI: your OI

I started using this tactic, combined with your OI, since the friendly vs Leverkussen. You see, the defensive record is quite impressive, especcialy since my team was predicted to finish 13th (on 16th teams). We finished 7th, with the number 3 just 5 points clear. If I had used this tactic three games earlier, I would've reached the Champions Playoff. My goalkeeper didn't need to be a miracle man; we almost never conceded a CCC. In the game vs Genk, we conceded a penalty for a handsball, but my goalkeeper luckily saved it.

KV Red Star Waasland-Sportkring Beveren_  Wedstrijden Eerste elftal.png

If you want to test the tactic: be my guest. I'm curious. The combination with your OI makes my team often look like Atlético; dynamic, hardworking, disciplined and very difficult to break down. We're very stubborn. I smiled when a AI manager called us 'boring'. :-)

4-4-2-0 Kcinnay (low block, very compact).fmf

11 minutes ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

@Kcinnay

looks amazing defensively conceding 2 in 10 is amazing, were you using different TI's before the friendly with Leverkusen? Going to try implement a striker less set up as well and include it in the thread.

Before the Leverkussen friendly, I was playing a regular 4-4-2 (DFd and DFs upfront), with the same TI. We didn't concede much chances, but as you can see, we always caught one or two goals. That's because the strikers didn't track back enough, which made it too difficult for my team to control the center defensively.

Earlier in the season, I used the 4-4-2-0. Same player roles, but counter-structured. It was defensively quite solid, but play was too static, offensively and defensively. Too much 1vs1 duels on the pitch, whereas I like to see overloads, two or three players pressing the ball and the opponent. Work as a unit, as you described it.

I'm looking forward to your strikerless tactic!

On 16/01/2017 at 03:09, TheBigBoss said:

Anyone else finding it a bit hard to sign decent wide midfielders and deep lying forwards ?

I've been retraining full backs for this, they make great wide mids. I also retrain good playmakers to DLF's, I currently use Andre Horta upfront in my Benfica save. 

6 hours ago, Sunwell said:

How much  possesion do u have in average? 

13th with 48.62%, 4th in passes completed and 5th tied with 2 other teams in pass completion ratio

Posesion.jpg

Edited by nen

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 02:34, Kcinnay said:

I use a strikerless tactic because it's not possible to make strikers defend deep without making them mark a CM. The downside of playing strikerless is that the two most advanced players (my 'strikers') don't exactly behave like strikers when we're in possession. Even my SS acts too much as a playmaker. Here, you can see my tactic and the TI.

KV Red Star Waasland-Sportkring Beveren_  Overview.png

As you may see, I got my inspiration from Simeone too. My fullbacks are conservative though, they probably could play a bit more attacking, but then again, my squad is quite weak, so at the moment, I don't want to experiment too much, since things are going well. My defence is as deep as possible, since my CB's aren't that fast. If I push up a bit, I almost immediately get caught on a break. With a stronger squad, I'd play a bit higher than I would now.

PI are as follows:

GK (SKa): tackle harder, more direct passes, long kicks, distribute to AMCL (Ideally a GK who's good on high balls, command of area, reflexes and rushing out)

RB and LB (FBs): more risky passes, cross more often, cross aim far post, run wide with ball, close down much more (Quick FB's with good tackling)
CB's (CDd): more direct passes, close down much less (Tall CB's who have a good sense of positioning too)

RM and LM (WMa): roam from position, more risky passes, cross more often, cross aim far post (Inverted wingers who are quick and good in passing, dribbling and crossing)
CM (CMd): mark tighter, more direct passes (A tall holder with a good pass, a workhorse)
CM (CMs): mark tighter, hold position, more direct passes, more risky passes (A playmaker with good workrate)

AM (SSa): tackle harder, mark tighter, more direct passes, close down much more (A hard working dribbler, quick, good finisher)
AM (AMs): tackle harder, mark tighter, get further forward, close down much more (A dynamic targetman)

There could be some tweaking with the offensive settings; the crosses almost never reach my 'targetman', FB's could be more offensive, the CMs could be unleashed more often... My passing instructions are quite extreme. That's to decrease possession, which is still too high for my liking.

OI: your OI

I started using this tactic, combined with your OI, since the friendly vs Leverkussen. You see, the defensive record is quite impressive, especcialy since my team was predicted to finish 13th (on 16th teams). We finished 7th, with the number 3 just 5 points clear. If I had used this tactic three games earlier, I would've reached the Champions Playoff. My goalkeeper didn't need to be a miracle man; we almost never conceded a CCC. In the game vs Genk, we conceded a penalty for a handsball, but my goalkeeper luckily saved it.

KV Red Star Waasland-Sportkring Beveren_  Wedstrijden Eerste elftal.png

If you want to test the tactic: be my guest. I'm curious. The combination with your OI makes my team often look like Atlético; dynamic, hardworking, disciplined and very difficult to break down. We're very stubborn. I smiled when a AI manager called us 'boring'. :-)

4-4-2-0 Kcinnay (low block, very compact).fmf

I updated the thread and included my own striker less tactic if your still interested.

Hi,

last season i've used your new strikerless tactic in Athletic Bilbao team, with very good results. Finished 2nd in La Liga, 4 points behind Atletico, and 2 points ahead Barcelona and Real. Because of low squad depth, i've decided to play Copa del Rey and Europa League using many backup players and youngsters. It helped me stay focused on my main goal.

I'm curious to read about comparing your home and away results. My team was the only team that has won more points away from San Mames, than at home. As you recommended, i've created two tactic's. First with control mentality, used at home, and counterattacking used away. Maybe changing match preparation training should give me more home domination? Any  ideas?

Second season for me seems more difficult, because i'm not able to keep my all best players at the club, and Champions League matches force me to use greater number of squad rotations.

lisek.jpg

5 hours ago, Helmut said:

Hi,

last season i've used your new strikerless tactic in Athletic Bilbao team, with very good results. Finished 2nd in La Liga, 4 points behind Atletico, and 2 points ahead Barcelona and Real. Because of low squad depth, i've decided to play Copa del Rey and Europa League using many backup players and youngsters. It helped me stay focused on my main goal.

I'm curious to read about comparing your home and away results. My team was the only team that has won more points away from San Mames, than at home. As you recommended, i've created two tactic's. First with control mentality, used at home, and counterattacking used away. Maybe changing match preparation training should give me more home domination? Any  ideas?

Second season for me seems more difficult, because i'm not able to keep my all best players at the club, and Champions League matches force me to use greater number of squad rotations.

lisek.jpg

4.thumb.png.25b26c81bc987421abb848e6fbc48159.png

I've been managing St.Pauli ended up winning the Bundesliga and remained unbeaten away from home  my only defeats were at home as well (loses to Schalke, Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig). for training all I'd say is make sure you have as much high rated coaches as you can which makes a difference and set the match preparation on teamwork when the tactic is fluid.

I have been using this tactic at home with a lot of success if you want to try it.

Home St.Pauli_19171858-51AA-4205-99E9-7B9C5C6E5793.fmf

none of this tactics works for me. In my first season i used  "date 442" tactics and won the Romanian league, then in the second season i bought better players and guess what? i finished 3rd. Now in the 3rd season i want a new 442 tactic but this isnt working. I conceded  lots of goals, especially from the corners :(   

EDIT: did a little cheating, and went on holiday 7 games, and my assisstant manager won all of team (with this tactic), so in the end ive won the league.

P.S. indeed, it's Diego Simeone tactics, i've lost 2 cup finals :))

Edited by shonaxxx

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 21:06, shonaxxx said:

none of this tactics works for me. In my first season i used  "date 442" tactics and won the Romanian league, then in the second season i bought better players and guess what? i finished 3rd. Now in the 3rd season i want a new 442 tactic but this isnt working. I conceded  lots of goals, especially from the corners :(   

EDIT: did a little cheating, and went on holiday 7 games, and my assisstant manager won all of team (with this tactic), so in the end ive won the league.

P.S. indeed, it's Diego Simeone tactics, i've lost 2 cup finals :))

You can't say the tactics do not work when you have won the league twice, have you set the OI's and signed the right players for the tactical requirements, I feel I have recreated Simeone's philosophy as well as I can in the game. I have even experimented with different formations with the same defensive concept and still won league titles and over achieved with poorer teams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 01:57, OhhScottySinclair said:

You can't say the tactics do not work when you have won the league twice, have you set the OI's and signed the right players for the tactical requirements, I feel I have recreated Simeone's philosophy as well as I can in the game. I have even experimented with different formations with the same defensive concept and still won league titles and over achieved with poorer teams.

it was posted on different days. in the beggining this tactic dindnt work well, but after a while everything went really well 

It's a 5/5 star tactic

good job