Pogba - how to get get the best out of him

I have been trying to find the best role for him in my current save. I am using in the center of midfield - have tried RP, AP-S, AP-A and none seem to do him justice. He scored less than 10 a year and his assists tally is low. Average rating of about 7.3. I am doing well this year - top of the league, FA Cup Final and Euro Cup final.

Have any of you managed to get the best out of him and how?

It isn't simply a matter of changing his role and then all of a sudden he will get better results. An average rating above 7 for a central midfielder is pretty darn good considering the weighting of match ratings towards scoring and assisting goals.

It may not be a problem with Pogba or his role, but more one of a tactical nature. Pogba is a beast and can be used in a number of ways. Marauding Toure-like runs from deep in midfield, long range shooting, killer through balls, arriving late in the area to smash/head home a goal... The list goes on and on. 

However, if your tactic focuses on getting the ball to wide players, who penetrate the final third and drive or cross into the box, then Pogba's only real involvement will come when he starts the move or is in the right place to finish one.

If your tactic has a Zlatan at the top of it, then perhaps Pogba can move into the number 10 role, much like in real life, and enjoy some freedom to play off of Zlatan.

Simply asking what role he should play is far to simplistic for us to be of any real help. We need all the pieces of the puzzle, not just one.

I do play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 inside forwards. Zlatan up top as complete forward.

My tactic plays Narrow, high tempo and high up the pitch. Shorter passing, playing out of defence and with overlapping FBs.

If it helps I can upload screenshots when I get home but hopefully that at least helps at a little.

Well then, is Pogba occupying one of the two central midfield roles? If so, that means that there are four players in more advanced positions, and that is where the attacking threat will come from. If you want Pogba scoring more goals then you will have to move him higher up the pitch, otherwise the congestion is simply going to prevent him from taking up good attacking positions.

The central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 are more static, and start moves rather than finish them. Making Pogba your AMC would be best if you wish to see glorious results from him.

I like to play him as an AMC, AM(a) role with no PI's.

Lets him use his attributes to link up with midfield, provide a killer ball or shoot himself, last time I played as Man Utd I think this got me 17 goals and 10 assists in the season.

Advanced playmakers rarely post large goal figures... sounds like he's doing an ok job for that role... assister of the assist i suspect.

It sounds like you want to utilise him as a goalscorer ... so depending on your formations... either CM(a), BBM(s) or AM (s/a) would be good.

4 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Usually the problem is the style or players around the player your focusing on.

Personally I think he suits a faster style of play rather than a patient style.

Nah, he's fine for a slow game, he has dwells on ball, which lowers the tempo often.

1 hour ago, ViG1980 said:

Bitner - did you change anything after that first season? He improved dramatically for you!

Thanks everyone for the feedback too. 

No, really not. He just became more used to the tactic. Mata was the main threat from midfield on first season, second season onwards it was Pogba, just a matter of time and understanding.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Just now, ViG1980 said:

awesome. ok, time for me to leave work (2pm here in the US) and go home and play.

"Working from home" :)

Nice. I use POgba as a B2B with: Get further forward, more direct passes, more risky passes, much more pressure (?), just to give you all the info.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Archived