"The kids are alright. At least, they better be." - What happens when a top club decides they don't need anyone from the outside world?

hasdgfas

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 2018 Update

After a fun weekend out of town, I've spent some time working on this save again.

League Table - It is tight at the top of the Premier League right now. One loss can drop you from 1st to 5th.

Match Results - We've had a bit more success away this season after doing quite a bit of tactic tweaking. However, we're still susceptible to some inconsistency. You can tell by the 3-0 win at Newcastle followed by the 1-0 loss at Norwich.

Now let's check in on the kids:

Reiss Nelson is now being touted as a wonderkid. He is also continuing his out-of-this-world form. 3 goals and 3 assists in 9 appearances, with only 4 starts. Definitely special.

Alex Iwobi hasn't gotten as many games as I'd hoped this season. His performances this season haven't quite been as good as last season, plus some other wing players are outperforming him. I still intend to keep him around though, he's one for the future for sure.

General Loan Report for those not at the club. Let's check in on some standouts.

Rob Holding - With the help of Holding, Middlesbrough is in playoff position, and he has been performing quite well there. The problem with him is that all my other central defenders are also performing well here, so I don't have an obvious place for him when he gets back. Maybe PSG will buy one of my 30-year-old defenders and I can fit him in somewhere.

Jordan Sutton(17C) - Performing admirably as a 17-year-old in a mid-table League 1 team. Not outstanding, but getting a bunch of playtime and his attributes are looking great.

Chris Willock - may have peaked with his huge improvement last season. Not too much so far, and he's not performing great in the Championship. I still have hope, but it's looking a bit less likely than it did after last season.

Nothing too special from anyone else, but Sheaf and Dragomir are looking promising.

A little bit of news closer to home.

View of the U18s - We're already seeing some changes to relative potential between last season's youth intake, with a big jump in potential from Ho Tuan Anh(17E) due to some tutoring from Petr Cech. He's now above 3 players originally rated higher than he was. Also a jump of 2 players for Jon Holland(17H), which is good, as I really need someone in that position for the future.

Some good stuff going on here. We'll see if we can win the league instead of choking it away this time, and next update will also bring the Youth Intake.

I think you need to make as much out of these early years to get some success out of the original side, and get some credit with the board. Because the real tricky stage will be when the youth all take over and you no longer have the Ozils and Alexis to rely on, or even all the 30 year old defenders.

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

I think you need to make as much out of these early years to get some success out of the original side, and get some credit with the board. Because the real tricky stage will be when the youth all take over and you no longer have the Ozils and Alexis to rely on, or even all the 30 year old defenders.

That is exactly what I'm worried about, and why I'm upset about bottling it during season 1. I want to get a good base to work from once everyone starts to retire or get snapped up by other teams(already had to fend off a bunch of interest during this January window)

Youth Intake 2018

60fe104ae8.png

This intake isn't as exciting to me as the previous one. We have a couple players with very solid potential, but I'm concerned that they're not in areas I'm going to need players.

Luke Rees(18A) - Seems to already be a pretty reasonable central defender already. We'll have to get rid of that "argues with officials", but otherwise, I'm not seeing too much of a downside. We'll definitely be trying to get him developed.

Samuel Richardson(18B) - Solid base, but needs quite a bit of work.

Bas Douglas(18C) - he just may be the most promising striker at the whole club

Nobody else really excited me, but I'll still do what I can for them. Nicknaming is now open if you particularly like one of the bottom few.

2 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Could I have Jarvis ?

oh yeah. Just give me a name you want, and then optionally who you want to be nicknamed. This is the case for any intake. If nobody's claimed one of the bottom ~5, they're up for grabs.

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Rees's looks pretty cracking. I'd be tempted to train him as a right back though, or a some kind of midfielder.

I generally like my left/right backs to be a bit faster and cross a lot better, but I may have to head in that direction, especially if people start coming in for Bellerin. I just see the strong positioning/heading/marking/tackling and think that central defense is perfect for him.

2aa18ad723.jpg

All to play for at the run-in. About 900 things could happen. We really need to not lose to Chelsea away, but other than that, there's not a whole lot that's too scary. I'd really like to make a shock comeback to win the title this season, as it only gets tougher from here.

30 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

What's your fixture list look like?

Fixtures remaining as of the league table at that point(spoiler alert, we finished one match since I posted)

WNCVRcq.png

Our old foes that lost us the league last season, Bournemouth, are looming as an away match to finish off the season, but we've had more away success this season than last, and it we want a chance to win the league, it's a match we have to win anyway. Hull and Newcastle at home should be fairly easy wins.

Chelsea away is very soon after the Leicester match, and I'm concerned it took a bunch out of the squad. We left it late in that one.

cafd766eb1.jpg

Unbelievable. After their early sending-off, we were the only team that looked like scoring. Then, they get a free-kick, pass it around a while, and Koscielny, who's supposed to be a little bit further back to prevent exactly this, just lets Pedro past him and can't catch up to him before he puts it in the back of the net. This is after some absurd saves from Courtois after we should have been up by at least 2.

9781063e96.png

Hull completely lost their minds in this one. Will this thorough disaster of a performance for them spell their doom?

Unfortunately, everyone else at the top held serve, meaning we're in 4th, and 5 points off top spot with 2 matches to go.

Remaining fixtures for the top 5:

Tottenham: West Ham(A), Manchester City(A)

Manchester United: Swansea(A), West Ham(H)

Chelsea: Norwich(H), Newcastle(A)

Arsenal: Newcastle(H), Bournemouth(A)

West Ham: Liverpool(H), Tottenham(H), Manchester United(A)

Tottenham have two tough away matches, and could easily get 0 points from that. United are strongly favored in one of their matches and should be slight favorites against 5th placed West Ham. Chelsea are strongly favored in both their matches, but do have a disastrous draw at Hull this season, so could definitely throw something away. West Ham have 3 tough matches, although 2 of them are at home. They have by far the most say in the whole race at the top of the table, and it'll be interesting to see how things go for them. I've already mentioned that we should win both of our matches, but could easily throw the match at Bournemouth, which would be a huge disaster based on how tight things are.

EDIT: West Ham draw at home with Liverpool, and are now mathematically eliminated from the title. Can they spoil my rivals' dreams, or will it be same old Arsenal?

24bd746822.png

Domination. Newcastle barely got a sniff of the ball, and never threatened a goal.

Elsewhere in the top 5:

Chelsea 2 - 0 Norwich

Swansea 0 - 2 Manchester United

And the massive battle at London Stadium

West Ham 1 - 0 Tottenham

This means that going into the final day, things look like this:

391e46d8a6.jpg

We should have 4th secured, barring some ridiculous final-day results. However, I'd really like to skip the Champions League playoff. That requires a win, and one of the top 3 to to slip up in a way we can capitalize on. That means a loss for United, a draw for Chelsea, a loss for Tottenham, or a draw for Tottenham and a win by 2 or more for us. 

We also have a miracle chance at the title, but I honestly don't think that's happening.

At the bottom of the table, everyone lost, leading to a 1-point difference between 3 teams for 2 relegation spots. Swansea are at Liverpool, which isn't a good sign for them. Hull and Brighton & Hove Albion are actually playing each other on the final day, with Hull at home. Hull stay up for sure with a win, while Brighton can still go down if they win and Swansea win. 

Join me tomorrow when I try something fun for the final day drama at both sides of the table.

(shout-out to @Jupjamie for the great idea he already did. I'm basically just ripping that off but with the American coverage team I'm actually familiar with. Hopefully he doesn't mind too much. Imitation, flattery, and all that.)

Image result for rebecca lowe

"Hello Premier League fans. I'm Rebecca Lowe."

"We're at the end of another Premier League season, and there is more drama here than in any season in recent memory. 4 different teams are fighting for the title, and 3 teams are fighting to avoid the 2 relegation spots at the bottom of the table. I'm here with Kyle Martino. Kyle, what can you tell as about the stakes?"

Image result for kyle martino nbc

"Well Rebecca, we're paying close attention to 6 matches today that will determine the fate of 7 teams. Myself and our special final day analysts, the Men in Blazers, will be with you in the studio updating you for every goal in these matches. We'll be closely watching Bournemouth-Arsenal at Vicarage Road, Hull-Brighton at KCOM Stadium, Manchester City-Tottenham at the City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester United-West Ham at Old Trafford, Liverpool-Swansea at Anfield, and Newcastle-Chelsea at St. James' Park."

"The title favorites, of course, are Manchester United due to their outstanding goal difference and as the only title contender to have a match at home. If they win, that will be enough. But if they stumble, Chelsea, defending champions Tottenham, and Arsenal are waiting to try to capitalize."

"At the other end of the table, 3 teams are fighting for survival. Swansea are in a lot of trouble having to play at Anfield, but the other match is winner take all, although Hull would settle for a draw if they have to, and hope that Swansea can't get an unlikely win."

"The teamsheets are coming in shortly for Bournemouth-Arsenal..."

19 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

oh yeah. Just give me a name you want, and then optionally who you want to be nicknamed. This is the case for any intake. If nobody's claimed one of the bottom ~5, they're up for grabs.

Barney Keane please.

67f82d907b.jpg

Image result for kyle martino and rebecca lowe

"Those are the teams, Kyle, your thoughts?"

"A really interesting move from the Arsenal manager here. In a game where they need a win to have a shot at the title, no out-and-out striker, instead relying on Alexis Sanchez, who has been in great form. 2 very young wing players in Iwobi and young breakout star of the season, Reiss Nelson. A very solid middle of the park with Ozil, Ramsey, and Coquelin, although Coquelin has been known to be a bit hot-headed, with 3 red cards this season. He can't do that today. A very solid backline, and Szczesny in goal. I like this team a lot, although they'll be missing the magic of the injured Santi Cazorla, who has provided some incredible moments from free kicks to get Arsenal points throughout the season."

"The other important news from Arsenal is a move away from the more cautious away formation we've seen from them a lot this season, instead keeping Ozil further forward, looking to attack. Apparently the Arsenal manager doesn't feel he can lie back for this match."

"Thanks Kyle, what about Bournemouth?"

"They're missing second-leading scorer Benik Afobe due to injury, and playing Florin Tanase in his place. This surprises me, as they've usually gone with Saber Khalifa in that spot throughout the season. They do have the always-dangerous Callum Wilson still. The midfield is as expected, with their most weathered group there. I'm a bit surprised to see Kaan Ayhan start over Steve Cook in the defense, but otherwise it's a solid team from the mid-table side."

"And who do you like today, Kyle?"

"I like Arsenal 2-1. I think they'll have just enough in this match, but I don't think it'll be enough to take the title."

"Thanks Kyle. It should be a very interesting final day. Let's get to it."

Image result for men in blazers

"And Arsenal have scored already!"

894244dc0e.jpg

"A magical goal from Alexis Sanchez. The manager's faith in him up top is immediately rewarded. He receives the ball 30 yards out, dribbles up to the box with loads of space, and unleashes a perfect shot into the top corner. Arsenal still need loads of help, but they want to be in position to capitalize."

"Kyle, we have an early shock goal from Swansea at Anfield from Sporting loanee Iuri Medeiros. Swansea are up 1-0!"

"Yes Rebecca, but it currently doesn't matter. Hull have gone ahead at home via Jese."

"And we have a new current leader in the Premier League race. Diego Costa has scored at St. James' Park to put Chelsea in front"

"Three more goals! We can't keep up with these, Kyle!"

"Bournemouth are taking Arsenal apart right now. Wilson scores a deserved goal, and Arsenal have moved to their more counter-attacking formation to try to make something of this match. It's not looking good for their hopes."

"It is looking good for Swansea though, Kyle. Brighton have equalized through Chelsea loanee Matej Pulkrab. They're still going down, but now Hull are as well!"

"Meanwhile, over in Manchester, City have gone ahead of Tottenham through Mauro Icardi, and United still look like they can't get anything going. Chelsea still top of the league."

"More goals, Rog!"

"Yes. Costa has a second at St. James'. However, United have gone ahead! An own goal from West Ham! They're top of the league"

"2 goals at the City of Manchester Stadium! Gundogan puts City up 2, but Kane pulls one back!"

"Two quick goals in Bournemouth and Arsenal are level again! Sanchez direct off a free kick, and Koscielny puts one away after a lot of passing around the box off a corner."

"One more just before half-time, Kevin De Bruyne puts Manchester City up 3-1. All to do for Tottenham now."

"At halftime, the league looks like this"

ac8bd88978.jpg

(sorry to leave it on this cliffhanger, but I have things I need to do, and will not be back for several hours)

"Jonas steps up and buries it! Despair for the Swans!"

"One more attack for West Ham, one more attack for Arsenal, one more attack for Newcastle."

"Unfortunately, they all peter out. No more goals, and Manchester United take the title!"

"Back to you, Rebecca and Kyle, we're exhausted."

"Thanks, gentlemen. Well, Kyle, we were promised drama, and boy did today deliver. Goals galore across the League."

"Indeed Rebecca. Let's take a look at the final League Table."

bc7cd93224.jpg

"Swansea go down thanks to the final kick of the game after an immense performance otherwise."

"Manchester United get the one goal they need thanks to an own goal, and Arsenal are unable to capitalize on Tottenham's slip-up in Manchester to skip the Champions League playoff."

"Thanks everyone for another incredible season, and we'll see you next year."

Well, that was exhausting. Thanks everyone for reading, and sorry again about the large delay in the middle. Hope you enjoyed the drama :D. I wanted to do something fun with it.

Looks like I still need to solve away matches next season. At least, against the mid/lower-table teams. I've found a tactic that is pretty good for matches against the top teams, but need something more for the other ones.

Season review coming after I progress a little further time-wise to give loanees a little more time to get stats.

Archived