[FM17] Rangers are coming.

WeegieFM

z9e7F.png

"I have been lucky - lucky in those who were around me from the boardroom to the dressing-room. In time of stress, their unstinted support, unbroken devotion to our club and calmness in adversity eased the task of making Rangers FC the premier club in this country."

"To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him."

"Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."

- Bill Struth, Rangers manager 1920-1954

I have decided to start a new save as my favourite team, the famous Glasgow Rangers.  I felt the love for my Cosenza save leave me and the urge to begin my annual Rangers save was too tempting. 

Bio

Rangers Football Club are a football club in Glasgow, Scotland, which plays in the Scottish Premiership, the first tier of the Scottish Professional Football League. Their home ground, Ibrox Stadium, is in the south-west of the city.

Rangers have won more league titles and trebles than any other club in the world, winning the league title 54 times, the Scottish Cup 33 times and the Scottish League Cup 27 times, and achieving the treble of all three in the same season seven times. Rangers were the first British club to reach a UEFA tournament final and won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 after being runner-up twice in 1961 and 1967. A third runners-up finish in Europe came in the UEFA Cup in 2008. Rangers have a long-standing rivalry with Celtic, the two Glasgow clubs being collectively known as the Old Firm.

Rangers were demoted to the Scottish Third Division for the 2012/2013 season after a fraudulent takeover left the club facing liquidation. Rangers were left with no option but to create a new company name for the club resulting in the team having to reapply for their Premier League status. 

The new company formally applied to acquire the SPL share of The Rangers Football Club Plc on 18 June 2012 but, on 4 July, SPL clubs voted by 10–1 to reject the application. Kilmarnock abstained and the old Rangers company voted in favour. Thereafter, an application to the Scottish Football League was successful with Rangers securing associate membership on 13 July 2012 at an SFL meeting by a vote of 29–1. The SFL member clubs voted that Rangers should enter the fourth tier of Scottish Football, Scottish Third Division for the 2012–13 season, rather than the Scottish First Division.

An application was made for a transfer of SFA membership on 29 June 2012, with the new company applying for the transfer of the membership of The Rangers Football Club Plc. Agreement was reached on the transfer with the new company accepting a number of conditions relating to the old company.

At the end of 2012, Rangers International Football Club Plc became the holding company for the group, having acquired The Rangers Football Club Ltd on the basis of a one for one share exchange.

Rangers Now. Rangers Then. Rangers Forever.

5b03295b-565e-4cd7-ae42-edb7bed85285.jpg

Aims

Short Term

- Secure European Football through League Position

- Remain competitive with Celtic in the first season

- Continue a brand of attacking football

- Create a strong coaching/scouting team

- Win Title 55

Long Term

- Invest in youth and training facilities

- Re-Establish Rangers as Scotland's dominant team

- Invest in Scottish youth and develop first team players

- Improve the reputation of the Scottish League

- Create a strong and competitive SPFL

Transfer Philosophy

I plan on investing mainly in Scottish youth players with the aims of developing them into first team players. In time I hope to develop a very much Scottish core to the team however should the opportunity arise I will sign foreign youngsters I believe could benefit the club. Financially the SPFL is not a rewarding league and as such we will be a selling club for the most part, every player no matter his importance to the team, has his price. As with every football manager I aim to buy low and sell high. The transfer list and use of my scouting network will be key in identifying potential players that I can bring in, develop and sell on for profit. Bar a tycoon takeover we will never be in the position to spend 20/30million on one player and I am keen to try and develop players as a team than bring in expensive individuals. 

Stadium

1097px-Ibrox_Stadium_Panorama_2012.jpg

ibrox-stadium.jpg

Rangers play at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow, Scotland. The stadium holds 50,817 people and regularly sells out. 

Kits

vX3gnGB.pngULNKHqz.pngrRcvXQe.png

As always I've had custom kits made up for my Rangers side. Club 1872 is a shareholding held by Rangers fans which eventually aims to achieve fan ownership of the club.

I shall post finances, the team and key players / hot prospects once I've battered through pre-season and decided on our formations.

2016/2017 Pre-Season

Transfers in

11uTQXt.jpg

I had the add players option checked when I started this save and as such regens are already present. I made the most of this of course by scouring the Scottish teams and attempting to sign some of the players I felt had potential.

Squad

Pp5ptjU.jpg

I inherited a large squad and thus far haven't been able to rid myself of any of the deadwood currently clinging on to the team. The new additions didn't help this and I'm looking to get rid of Barton, Senderos and Kranjcar ASAP. All three are duds in real life for football and in FM all they will do is take away game time from my youngsters whilst also hogging significant wages! The two key players I plan on building the squad around are Rossiter and McGinn, hopefully they will be my midfield engine for years to come.

Jordan Rossiter

ZdeghoM.jpg

One of the most exciting Rangers signings in recent years. In real life he came in and immediately looked the part, however his season has been hampered by injuries. I have high hopes Jordan will develop into the player like the Liverpool faithful hoped he would when he was dubbed the next Gerrard.

New Signings

John McGinn - £1.2m Transfer Fee

oqYzzV1.jpg

We've got John McGinn, Super John McGinn, I just don't think you understand (youtube it). John McGinn joins us from Hibs for a 1.2m fee. The fee was broken up with 500k up front and 700k over 48 months. John is a young Scottish centre mid I plan on building my team around. He as the potential to improve and will fit in perfectly in the box to box midfield role. 

Matthew Knox - £50k Transfer Fee

2akMzvX.jpg

Matthew Knox joins us from Livingston. He's being touted for big things in real life and after a good scout report I decided to take the plunge. For 50k, even if he hardly develops, I'll be able to sell him on for more.

Israel Puerto - Free Transfer

NRsgaPT.jpg

A young centre half who has significant experience under his belt already. Hopes he will develop with game time for us as I plan on partnering him with Danny Wilson at the heart of our defence.

Shaun Wallace - £450k Compensation fee

ST0d97u.jpg

Scouring through the Scottish leagues for first day regens I found Shaun with Hibs. He was available on a pre-contract and I snapped him up. He ended up on 4k p/w after I noticed the likes of Liverpool looking at him and had to act fast. Hopefully he will develop into a quality player for us!

Nathan Ferguson - £1.2k Compensation Fee

30CEUFg.jpg

Another regen, this time brought in from Albion Rovers for the square root of heehaw. With the basic signs of a potentially decent ACM, I brought him in. Minimal risk with this one if things go south. 

Euan McLean - £10k Compensation Fee

Bnh62d5.jpg

Euan McLean joins our developmental side from Cowdenbeath. Decent stats already for a 17 year old. I'll have him play for the under 20's whilst sitting on our bench every now and again.

I'm only a few games into pre season but I think that's all our transfer business already done and dusted! Things have started brightly in the League Cup which now has a bizarre 'group stage' which kicks off during the middle of pre-season! Raging as it cancelled a friendly against AC Milan to allow me the honour of facing Stirling Albion!

Pre-season and start of 16/17 campaign

Transfer - Kenneth Franken - £750k

We made one final signing before the transfer window slammed shut. Another regen I feel has real potental and at 750k hopefully turns out to be an absolute steal! Kenneth Franken comes in from Fortuna Sittard in the Jupiler League in Holland. Rangers have had a fair few successful Dutchmen play for them in the past and hopefully he develops to become a top player! 

gDAf4oB.jpg

Tactics

76b1vJR.png

I have again opted for my 4-2-3-1 formation that has served me well in the past. In real life Rangers play this very formation and I'm keen to do likewise.  I feel the players at my disposal fit well into this formation and will focus on developing our play style around it. Other than Celtic we are the strongest team in the league and should look to dominate and keep the opposition on the back foot. Once we have qualified for Europe I may drop the AP back into the centre of the park or even add in a defensive midfielder depending on the opposition. 

Fixtures

qPnONDV.png

A relatively good start to the season, we aren't scoring as many as I'd like and it's a similar case for Rangers in real life. We lack that out and out centre forward that will bang in the goals for us. With only one up front the striker becomes suffocated by the opposition centre backs and we really need a player to be able to pick that killer pass or a striker that can work a bit of magic. I'm going to monitor how this goes and maybe adopt a two striker formation in future.

Awards

A successful first month in the league led to Tav winning the Player of the Month Award whilst I picked up the Manager of the Month equivalent. (First of many I hope!)

c5vH60r.png B4vy4SQ.png

Now for the big one...

ypKZkq5.png

Match day five in the league saw us take on the great unwashed at Parkhead. In the build up to the game Brendan Rodgers stated I was doing some 'Brilliant work' at Rangers...we will see how brilliant you think I am when I cost you your job Brendan!!!

fDDXN2q.jpg

The fans were out in their droves for Scotland's biggest game in what many consider the rivalry to end all football rivalries.

ufwGw2m.jpg

The teams lined up and to be quite honest...they are better than us (for now). Man for man they are the stronger side but I hoped the passion of the derby would bring out some bottle merchants in the Celtic team and we could maybe sneak a 1-0 victory.

6Q7r3eF.jpg

Things started badly for Rangers and then never really got better. A 23rd minute opener from Tom Rogic was a stinger against the run of play as we controlled possession for most of the opening 20 minutes.

457TOAs.jpg jonMNZP.jpg

We managed to get in at half time only 1-0 down and I shouted at the team to show me something else. They appeared motivated but that meant the square root of heehaw with what happened next.

A goal from Moussa Dembele on the 53rd minute killed the hopes of a come back and we crumbled. Nir Bitton added a third with a deflected effort and Leigh Griffiths finished us off in the 87th.

Vj4fONY.jpg

JqKm7Rb.jpgVoKIaO2.jpg

The game ends 4-0 in what was an absolute drubbing. Again like real life we have no bite to our team at all. The hunt for a striker begins but with no cash available we will most likely have to struggle on till next season before anyone of real quality comes through the door.

League Table 

cOtWEJT.png

After five games played we sit top of the league, our 0 goal difference very telling of the thumping we just received. Celtic may well go top when the play their game in hand however they've already had a slip up against St Johnstone in which they lost 2-0. Another major issue for us is depth. Celtic have about 60 first team players on their books whilst injuries could really hurt us in terms of quality. Hopefully we manage to steer injury clear but you never know. The best thing to take away from the thumping is that Celtic are the only team I believe capable of dishing another one out to us. If we can beat the other 10 teams in the league we can win it, even if we lose to Celtic on every occasion. Not how I would like to win the league but in these early building years I'll take title 55 in any way shape or form!

Any questions / queries please do just fire away!

Affiliations

gi2Tm6m.png

An affilation link has been created between Rangers and Danish side Vejle Boldklub. This international partnership is designed to allow loan players to gain valuable first team experience in a competitive setting. Further to this Rangers hold a 'first option' on bids accepted by Vejle for any of their players.

10 minutes ago, LATB said:

I am following but seem to be getting notifications for everyone's posts not just the author, is that right?

I have no idea of the technicalities of following but I appreciate you doing so! 

12 minutes ago, BluesGuy said:

Great read so far, will certainly be following. Really like the signing of the first day regens.

P.S. What skin are you using? 

It's the Vitrex skin by Emil Debski, link further up the page should you wish to acquire it! 

November 2016

XaprSrb.png StD6Gad.jpgkfaJf8s.png

Since our 4-0 thumping at the hands of Celtic, we recovered well and straight away dished out a 6-0 thumping to Ross County. We went on a good win streak before a disappointing draw against Partick. Away to Inverness I could take a 1-1 draw. Our good form left us top but Celtic still have a game in hand that could push them ahead of us. You'll notice we made our way to the League Cup Final where we went on to play Aberdeen at Hampden. 

nFsku1p.png

Scottish League Cup Final

Aberdeen booked their place in the final after defeating Hamilton 3-1 in the Semi having previously put Celtic out in the Quarter Final stage. They came into the game on a good run of form having not lost in their last 5 matches.

The Rangers faithful voiced their thoughts ahead of the game

MjerTj8.png

Line ups

BcKisR4.jpg

Both teams lined up with the 4-2-3-1 formations in a game that really could have went either way. We lined up with our usual back 4 and the midfield engine partnership of McGinn and Rossiter in the heart of the midfield. Starting up front was young Matthew Knox, who in real life is currently having a third trial with Manchester United! He was in to replace the injured Garner and to be honest I thought the game time/development time was better spent on him than playing Waghorn from the start. 

UDjVbQj.jpg BkTibhx.jpg

The teams lined up knowing the game could go the full 120 minutes + penalties if required.

The game was quite a dull affair with neither team really having any cutting edge or many clear cut chances. Half time came and went and nothing really seemed to be going right for us. Knox was struggling up front on his own and was replaced by Waghorn at the 60 minute mark. Not alot of action again in the second half led us into extra time. Changes were made with the introduction of Dodoo and Franken for Forrester and McKay. Dodoo was thrown up top with Waghorn moving out to the right side.

In the 113rd minute the super subs combined, Franken with a floated cross to the back post for the waiting Dodoo to bury home!

tdxXLSb.jpg QGjOTMD.jpg LvlomQp.jpg

We had the lead and we didn't let go of it! Our first piece of silverware!

6a2T57x.png

This then almost immediately led on to this

W3962OP.png

A new three year contract will see me remain at Rangers. This is a long term project and one I'm glad the Rangers board agree I should be in charge of!!! 

December 2016

garE2jb.png ZYqdBDH.png

Since our League cup win we continued in a rich vein of form. A hiccup away to St Johnstone stopped us from capitalising on a Celtic slip up ahead of arguably the make or break game of the season.

pOQ4alt.jpgQVUu4q7.pngK2k0dBO.jpg

Old Firm - 31/12/2016

We went into this game ahead in the league but very aware that Celtic could pull ahead of us if they won their game in hand. 

MtF76Ls.png

A Joe Garner double after a Harry Forrester opener saw us come away 3-1 winners! It was a close game and I was sure they would steal a draw in the final few minutes before Joe Garner struck to make it 3-1! That result leaves the league table looking like this...

HSYkeaP.png

Title 55 could very well be on the cards if we continue our current run of form and hope for some more Celtic slip ups! 

In other news:

CRJsmHa.png

After some convincing Dave King has agreed to upgrade out youth facilities. They are already in decent nick but this is the first step in getting our academy in a tip top shape in order to develop our promising talents into first team players!

uYsJqVi.png

I was linked with the Wolves job which is the first job I've been considered for. No interest in leaving Rangers, this is a project and I intend to see it through!

Player Stats

LyxO6jG.png

At the turn of the year Joe Garner leads our scoring charts with 16 goals. Tav has been in good form and was quite surprised to see McKay has more assists this season than him!

Our youth players are developing nicely with Wallace, Franken and Ferguson looking like they could turn into quality players if given some time. They've all been playing for the Under 20s and the odd match for the first team to aid their development further. Next update shall be at the end of January should anyone come or go from the club. I have zero cash available and so it will be a case of one out for one in so don't expect much!

1 hour ago, davidjnapier said:

keep up the good work WeegieFM, how have you found rossiter? i found he got injured more than he played and struggled with consistency

19 games with a 7.35 average rating. Him and McGinn boss the midfield on my behalf! 

January 2017

Transfers in

q8TLrqV.png

Three new arrivals at Ibrox with the arrivals of Carlos Badal from Valencia, Luca Clemenza from Juventus and Ben Garratt from Crewe. All three players were approaching the end of their contracts and after snapping them up I used the "buy now" option to bring them in early. 

5DGHepH.jpg

Ben Garratt - £165k Transfer Fee

Ben comes in to fight it out for the number one spot with Foderingham. Matt Gilks will be leaving us at the end of the season and felt that if Garratt is to develop further its better his time is spent at Ibrox rather than Crewe. McLean will go out on loan in the coming season to develop him leaving Garratt and Fod to contend for the Number 1 shirt.

Luca Clemenza - £110k Transfer Fee

S6yjIhP.jpg

Clemenza comes in from Juventus and could be a real coup for us. At 19 he has plenty of room to grow and from previous FM's always turns into quite the player. Hopefully with game time and a tutor to bring that determination up he will develop into a quality player for us. 

Carlos Badal - £10.75k Transfer Fee

GodO9lZ.jpg

Probably my favourite signing from the window. Badal comes in from Valencia and will hopefully become the rock at the heart of our defence. Signed for peanuts due to his contract coming to an end I snapped him up however made the fatal error of giving him first team status, nullifying my ability to have him tutored.  Heres hoping it won't effect him that much and with game time, he will develop into the player we all know he can be!

Outs

P3Xn13i.png

Our first regen to leave us and he didn't even make it a year! Shaun Wallace leaves us for Manchester United in a £5.5 Million deal. Also attached is a 50% of any profit clause which hopefully could see us again benefit from his sale. As I said originally we will be a selling club until such times as we are self sufficient and clear of the red. Shaun was developing well but when Man United came in I knew it was game over. I either didn't cash in and was left with an angry unhappy player or I cash in now and try and get the best deal for the club. I think I achieved that, afterall we signed him for £525k from Hibs so we have managed to make a healthy profit from the sale.

Nqu9v95.jpgfnVuCL3.jpg

Other Outs

fTSLVp8.png

We managed to move on some deadwood in the form of Sernderos and Waghorn. Neither were playing for us so thought it was best to cut our losses and move them on. I was unable to get rid of Barton with no one willing to take him, even for free! Robby McCrorie goes out on loan for development purposes alongside Aird. 

Future Transfers In

We managed to pick up a further three players on pre-contracts who I feel will really benefit the team.

4bPGIwB.jpg

Quique Fornos - Pre Contract

Quique has potential to develop and will most likely be a back up centre half for me. This save is all about picking up players, developing them and selling them on for a profit and with Fornos coming in on a free I think he ticks all those boxes!

Borja Iglesias - Pre Contract

uo8d1iF.jpg

A really good free transfer for us, Borja looks the time of striker capable of playing up front on his own and with all the right attributes it was a bit of a no brainer. At only 23 he could potentially improve further for us and again looks the type of player we may get a season or two out of before moving him on for profit.

Federico Rici - Pre Contract

e4vHohA.jpg

This was a signing I was really chuffed about. Rici comes in from Roma for the 17/18 season and I cannot wait for him to arrive! He already has fantastic stats and with room still to improve!

Overall I am very pleased with how the transfer window went this season. In terms of funds spent to funds received we brought in players to a value of 2.7m and brought in 6.25m through transfers. This is something I intend to maintain throughout this save. Buy small sell big. It simply has to be our philosophy as we will never compete with the major leagues simply due to the massive financial backing they have. 

In other news

t77hcGF.png

Moussa Dembele leaves the SPFL and returns to France. This benefits us in the short term as Celtic are weakened but its also sad to see arguably the best striker in the league leave the division for pastures new. I want a strong SPFL and to have that the league needs good players. He leaves Celtic for a healthy 9.25m which they have already invested in other players. Another sad sight was seeing Kristoffer Ajer leave Celtic for a measly 2.5m. A player known by FM players everywhere as one to watch leaves Scotland for Watford.

5 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Borja Iglesias is a quality Eredivisie striker in 2021 on my save

Hope he becomes a quality striker for us. He has the right stats in the right place to be our 20/30 goal striker. With hopefully a European Campaign next season he could be vital for us! 

Regen Day

The Christmas morning of Football Manager. Regen day arrived in Scotland and I'm certainly pleased with our lot!

dqVNvkc.jpg

I've signed up our top two prospects Barry Jordan and Stevie McPherson. The rest I will release in efforts to term our already huge under 20 squad. I want to get this squad in a state where it is full of prospects for each position so will be filtering out the deadwood as the seasons go by.

Barry Jordan

EZUPSKS.jpg

As the top prospect to come through this intake I was pleasantly surprised to find him already a fairly developed player! His composure and decisions are the only two real things that let him down. At 5'8 he is never going to be an threat in the air. With already good mental stats it will really be his physicals that need brought up to scratch and hopefully they will develop in time!

Stevie McPherson

L6esPWi.jpg  

A position we need cover in as if Tav gets injured its left to Lee Hodson to try and fill the gap. His stats aren't fantastic but hes something to try and develop over a number of years and can hopefully turn into a decent squad player for us.

Outside of our intake I went hunting clubs in both Scotland and England for regens I could potentially pinch at a cut throat price. 

Joe Brock

P6Xgchn.jpg

Pinched from Brighton Albion, Joe Brock joins us in the summer transfer window. He's cost me just under a million pounds if we include the potential clauses attached but I felt he was worth that and could be a steal at that price. Marking and tackling aren't sensational and again I think he's one that we can develop over time into a quality player.

Liban Elmi

6oDnBwe.jpg

Elmi joins us from Bristol City. This one was very much a gamble, he's only cost 400k plus clauses to bring in. Don't know how this one will go but he will be in the under 20 squad when he does arrive.

May 2017

A lot has happened since January.  

AVuupZB.png

Some absolutely dreadful form and a 6-0 thrashing from Celtic. 6 f*cking nil. They absolutely destroyed us. Our defeat against Aberdeen was the real nail in the coffin for our title chances. That put Celtic 7 Points ahead of us with equal games played. The draw to Partick was insult to injury especially given the following.

EsafRjI.jpg

Celtic were beaten 2-0 off ICT. This brought it back to 4 points and I was kicking myself that we drew to Partick and lost to the Sheep Shaggers. The next game following was the final Old Firm game of the season. Win and we go 1 point behind, lose...lose and it's over. 

IaIQVAb.png

Old Firm

QVUu4q7.png

Db73IE1.jpg

We set up with a more defensive formation after our 6-0 battering last time at Parkhead. Celtic also opted for the same formation. I feel all season we have really lacked any real quality up top. Windass and McKay just don't cut it and Jason Holt at ACM just never works out. Some investment will be made in that area come next season.

GOAL!!! 1-0 Rangers!

9ivqMQB.jpg

Barrie McMay slots home for Rangers after 17 minutes! Can we hold onto this lead and drag it back to one point with 2 games remaining!?!

Can we feck. 1-1 

xdDSv2R.jpg

Aurellio makes it 1-1 after some **** poor defending. 

Half time came and went, the next moment of any real significance...

PENALTY!

Jwsh8a2.jpg

Tavernier! WHY?!? WHY TAV WHY!?!

EHzAAVz.jpg

Save from Foderingham!!!

I thought this was the turning of the tide. I threw on another striker and went 4-2-4 Overload. We need a win, a draw isn't good enough!

GOAL!!! 2-1!!!

To Celtic.

an0OGP3.jpg

Leigh f*cking Griffiths!!! The thorn in my side all season!!!

Full Time Rangers 1 Celtic 2. The title dream is over.

Insult to injury...

5Vt91YJ.jpg

Celtic win the league...at Ibrox.

DQiPSSO.jpg

Celtic secure the title and to be honest, I didn't expect us to win it first season. What irritates me however is the manner in which we lost it. We led the pack the majority of the season only to throw it away and also get an absolute pounding at Celtic Park. Much is needed to be done at Ibrox. Big changes coming this way.

maxresdefault.jpg

New kit sponsor adds 1.3m a year to the coffers

rjj8eAY.jpg

Budgets set for the coming season

j6d9vt0.jpg

Don't know what I expected really. Our finances are 2.1m in the black. Unless we end up with some proper investment from the board we will be in the bargain basement for a long long time!

Hi, I've just started a Rangers save. Feb 1st season. I started out at Colchester and moved on to rangers in Feb. I was Just wondering what team instructions you're using? I'm playing a 4-3-3 at the moment with a Bwm bbm and app in the middle of the pitch, 2 wingers and a df. 

Just now, WeegieFM said:

Not a full transfer update by any stretch however I have made one controversial transfer...

VLStJ0S.png

WOW! Shocking indeed. Hopefully it will work out.

Cheers,
Bitner 

41 minutes ago, Bitner said:

WOW! Shocking indeed. Hopefully it will work out.

Cheers,
Bitner 

I always liked Ryan Christie...until he signed for Celtic. With training to maintain a very much Scottish/British Core I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring him in. Young, Scottish and good potential. He ticked every box!

Just now, WeegieFM said:

I always liked Ryan Christie...until he signed for Celtic. With training to maintain a very much Scottish/British Core I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring him in. Young, Scottish and good potential. He ticked every box!

And the bonus box: POLEMIC TRANSFER. All likeable! hahaha.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Pre Season 2017/2018

Losing the title to Celtic at Ibrox was a bitter pill to sallow. I set about trying to transform the team and rid ourselves of the significant amount of deadwood contained in the squad. I searched high and low for potential targets mainly aiming at those coming out of contract or youngsters at small clubs than ourselves that we could hopefully tempt away. We will remain with our 4-2-3-1 formation and hopefully this season the title will be ours! We also have the joys of the Europa League to look forward to this season. 

First piece of good news:

PGkOW6s.jpg

Our league rep moves up 4 places to 23rd. Still far far off from what I'm looking for and hopefully now with strong performances in Europe from ourselves and Celtic, we can drag the league rep up and hopefully reclaim a second Champions League Place.

Joining us this season back in the SPFL are Dundee United. I was quite disappointed to see Hibs fail to really challenge for promotion , for the league to improve we really need all the 'big' clubs in the top flight. Hopefully this season will be their year. John Hughes is now in charge and with a good squad for the division should hopefully be there or there abouts come the end of the season. For those unaware, the team that finish 11th in the SPFL enter a 'Premiership Promotion Playoff'. The teams finishing 2nd-4th in the Championship enter a mini knock out tournament themselves with 4th taking on third and the winner of that match taking on 2nd. Queen of the South managed to defeat both Raith Rovers and Falkirk to enter a play off final against Kilmarnock which they lost. So Kilmarnock hang on to their SPFL Status.

gRMsVAO.jpg

Transfers

q4bXXb5.jpg

First I will start with the outs. The vast majority of them were released at the end of their contracts but two first team players left us this summer. Israel Puerto left us for a fee of 5M. I was sad to lose Puerto as he had been solid for us throughout the season but at 5M it made sense for him to leave. A free signing at the start of the 16/17 season with a 5 million pound return isn't half bad. We also have a 10% clause on his next transfer so here's hoping its a big one!

The other first team player to leave was Andy Halliday. He leaves us to head to Edinburgh and join Hearts for 240k (350k). He was never going to feature for us this season and when Hearts came in, I was more than happy to move him on.

Now for the new arrivals.

Nemanja Maksimovic - Free Transfer

CwHjH3z.jpg

Nemanja is a player I used to sign regularly in FM16. His contract always expired with Astana and this season was no different. He originally refused to even speak to me but as his contract wound down he finally agreed to talk and we sorted out a deal. 

Borja Iglesias - Free Transfer

JYhXfPW.jpg

Borja finally arrived after signing a pre-contract agreement in January. Borja will fight it out with Garner for the starting role up front.

Quique Fornos - Free Transfer

5n8Ann5.jpg

A promising player although lacking the mental side of his game. Don't have a tutor in place for him just now and is more a back up. May send out on loan to get him some game time.

Federico Ricci - Free Transfer

E6S15hR.jpg

The transfer that excited me the most. Ricci arrives from Roma and will be our starting inside forward on the right hand side. 

Nikola Milenkovic - 925k Transfer Fee

zw2jwv7.jpg

With Puerto leaving I had to find a replacement and Milenkovic fits the bill. Young with already great stats, he will partner Danny Wilson at the back in the coming season. With selling Puerto for 5m and bringing in his replacement at a fraction of that we set the tone for sell high buy low!

Pedro Joao - 2.2k Transfer Fee

LG2NQas.jpg

Brought in for a pittance Joao joins us from Gondomar SC in Portugal. At 16 he has plenty of room to improve and will find himself in the under 20s this coming season.

Victor Sanz - 1.3m Transfer Fee

7riPxFu.jpg

I spotted Victor at the start of the season but we couldn't agree on a price. A year later he is finally here and could really turn into some player for us!

Will Maxwell - 625K Compensation

fwgAAOo.jpg

Nicked from Man City for 625k Compensation, I'm hoping he can go on and become the next Ryan Giggs or Gareth Bale!

Ryan Christie - 250k Transfer Fee

sg5RvwD.jpg

The most controversial signing. Ryan Christie joins us directly from Celtic. He was a player I always liked before he made the move to Celtic Park. He matches our home grown aims. He's young, Scottish and has potential. Remove the rival element and it would be a no brainer. Hopefully he can come in and show everyone what a player he can be.

Liban Elmi and Joe Brock were regen signings already posted above.

Greg Taylor - 1.5M (3.5M) Transfer Fee

tzXYHeo.jpg

Taylor joins us from Kilmarnock. Yes. He doesn't look great. But in efforts to promote Scottish players and an originally favourable scout report I bit the bullet and signed him. The fee is the talking point. Kilmarnock wouldn't settle for any less and to be honest I thought of it as a good way to spread money throughout the Division. He joins us, Kilmarnock use the funds and invest in their team. Everyones a winner!

Don't have Owen Harveys screen grab to hand but again another regen, this time from Australia but with Scottish second nationality, he was free and offered to me by an agent. Thought why the hell not!!

Thats all for transfers so far. In the Europa League we face either Vikingur Gota of the Faroe Islands or Neftci Pesakar Futbol Klubu of Azerbaijan. That match shall be in the next update!

wc4AoVe.png

The Rangers Network

Glasgow Rangers are proud to announce an affiliation with English side Scunthorpe United FC. Scunthorpe join the Rangers network alongside Linfield FC of Northern Ireland and Vejle BK of Denmark. Scunthorpe become the third club to join the network in a feeder club capacity. Rangers will begin to loan players to these clubs in efforts to gain them First Team experience in a competitive and challenging environment. Further to this all three clubs will send junior players to train with Rangers to gain experience and train under the expertise of fantastic coaches.

Europa League Qualifiers

In the Europa League Second Round Qualifier we found ourselves against Neftci Pesakar Futbol Klubu of Azerbaijan. We made it difficult for ourselves but finally got the breakthrough in the 49th Minute. 

V3SQeG3.png

A very new team struggled but debutante Milenkovic's goal gave us the advantage heading to Ibrox.

h71r6OR.png

Much more like it this time round! We come away with a 3-0 win and convincingly move on through to the next round. 

The third round saw us take on Zenit St Petersburg. The team that ended out UEFA Cup dream in 2008. They are a very established team and I thought we would be lucky to squeeze past them.

MGCQKma.png

Oft... 2-0 up I thought we had the game in the bag. They nearly came back into it twice and I was thankful to see full time. 

We travel to Russia. We need a draw...a win would be nice...but a draw will do...

bkKY8cf.png

We stole a draw!!! When we went 2-0 down after 9 minutes I thought we were screwed. A tactical change at half time and really just throwing it up top lead to us getting back into it. A goal from a set piece gave us the equaliser and sees us through!

In the next round we face...

mgvEPNv.png

The former Champions of England. I can see us going out this round in all honestly. They have a far far far better team than us!!!

Finances

A quick look at the finances of the club at the start of the 17/18 season.

6FQOInS.png

Looking healthy after the season ticket money arrived. Hopefully we can build on this and really get some money in the bank!!!

Sorry for the lack of real updates, real life has been rather busy to say the least! Any questions or queries about the save please do ask away!

Archived