FM17: Rangers - Royal Blue Renaissance

RANGERS F.C.

69493n.png

INTRODUCTION:

After 4 seasons in the wilderness of Scottish footballs lower leagues, FM17 sees Rangers make their long-awaited return to the top flight of the SPFL. Can you fare better than Mark Warburton has this season and bring the title back to Govan at the first time of asking? Are you able to piece together a winning side with a relatively small budget? If you feel you're up to the challenge then this is the thread for you.

Last season, Warburton lead Rangers to a Championship & Petrofac Cup double, seeing off the challenge of Hibs in the process. It was a bittersweet season for many fans however as after the high of defeating their greatest rivals Celtic in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup was followed by a 3-2 defeat to Hibs in the final.

For the second summer in a row there were significant additions to the playing staff, with the likes of Niko Kranjcar, Jordan Rossiter, Josh Windass & Clint Hill among many new faces arriving at Ibrox. However, the biggest addition was that of EFL Championship POTY and famous loose cannon Joey Barton. What's unfolded in real life over the past few months is well documented although despite his release, Barton still remains in the squad in FM. Whether he gets a chance to redeem himself is completely up to you...

HISTORY:

29zarti.png

On a fateful spring day in March 1872, four young friends with a mutual love of the new modern game of association football met in Glasgow's West End. Out of this meeting, Scotland's most successful club was born. The clubs first league title was shared with Dumbarton in 1891 in Scottish football's maiden league season for the first and only time in its history. The subsequent years that followed saw Rangers establish themselves as the country's leading club and under the management of the legendary Bill Struth, success was being ingrained into the very fabric of the club. After 34 trophy-laden years, Struth stepped down as Scottish football's most successful manager, amassing an incredible 73 trophies (including wartime honours). During the wartime regional league setup, Rangers achieved the highest score in an Old Firm derby, beating their great rivals Celtic 8-1 in the Southern Football League. 

As football moved into the modern age, Rangers still lead the way, becoming the first British side to reach a European final although they lost to Italians Fiorentina 4-1 over two legs in the 1961 Cup Winners Cup. They also reached the semi-final of the European Cup a year earlier, losing to Eintracht Frankfurt who would famously be on the receiving end of a Puskas & Di Stefano masterclass at Hampden. The 2nd of January 1971 saw the darkest day in the clubs history when 66 fans, including woman & children, lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster. A year after the tragedy, Rangers travelled to Barcelona's Nou Camp to face Russians Dynamo Moscow in a match which saw the Glasgow side earn a 3-2 win and secure their first and to date only European trophy. Under Jock Wallace, Rangers emerged from the shadows of Steins Celtic juggernaut and secured two trebles in 3 seasons in the 1970s.

After nearly a decade in the wilderness, the arrival of Graeme Souness in 1986 heralded a new era for Rangers and in turn, Scottish football. Helped by English footballs European ban, Souness managed to convince some of England's biggest stars that their futures lay in Glasgow. Arriving were the likes of England captain Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Gary Stevens and Graham Roberts in moves that had never been seen before in Scottish football and that are unlikely to be seen again. The next 10 years saw the club, now under the management of Walter Smith, match Celtic's record of winning 9 league titles in a row with the likes of Gazza and Brian Laudrup lighting up Ibrox on a weekly basis. Despite domestic domination, Smith couldn't replicate his success in Europe and in 1998 he was replaced by Dutchman Dick Advocaat.

Under Advocaat, club chairman David Murray would sanction spending that was unprecedented in Scottish football, signing the likes of Andrei Kanchelskis, Arthur Numan and the absurd £12m deal for Tore Andre Flo. The reckless spending would prove to be near fatal for the club some years later. Advocaat's first few seasons were a huge success but the arrival of Martin O'Neil at Celtic saw Rangers struggle with the Dutchman eventually moved upstairs, allowing Alex McLeish to take his place in the hotseat. Under McLeish, the true reality of Rangers spending under Advocaat was laid bare and the club almost were almost sent into financial meltdown until Murray (for the first and only time it would turn out) bailed Rangers out investing £60m of his own money to keep the sharks at bay. Despite the financial difficulties, McLeish's Rangers matched Celtic for much of the next few years although he left in 2006 after a disappointing 3rd place finish.

2006 saw the heralded arrival of Paul Le Guen with the Frenchman expected to get the club challenging in Europe like his former side Lyon, however his reign would prove to be short lived and after a poor 6 months he was replaced by returning club legend Walter Smith. Smith steadied the ship and in his first full season back, he took the club within 90 minutes of European glory, eventually losing to Russian side Zenit 2-0 in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final. In the years that followed, Smith established Rangers as the country's top side winning 3 league titles in a row between 2009 & 2011. After the 2011 success, Smith announced his retirement and also announced that his assistant, club record scorer, Ally McCoist would be the new name on the managers door at Ibrox. The years that followed would prove to be the most turbulent in the clubs history.

McCoist's arrival saw change at boardroom level too with the unknown Craig Whyte purchasing the club from beleaguered chairman Murray for the paltry sum of £1. McCoist's reign got off to a poor start, being eliminated from both European competitions before the end of August. Things would only prove to get worse and on February 14th 2012, shockwaves were sent through world football as Whyte placed the club into administration. After a points deduction, Rangers title hopes were over and what was to happen over the summer left Scottish football at a crossroads. After the clubs holding company entered liquidation, a majority vote from member clubs saw the club relegated to the lowest tier of Scottish league football. This saw the clubs top stars like Steve Davis, Allan McGregor & Steven Naismith walk out on the club and deny them much needed transfer fees.

The years that followed were painful for many fans, under a board with questionable intentions and a manager who was exhausted by recent events eventually leave in 2014. In March 2015 a group of requisitioners led by shareholder Dave King ousted the old board and this takes us to the present day...

Fore a more detailed insight into the clubs history, visit: Here

Edited by Rino72.

SQUAD: FIRST TEAM

2hpuixh.jpg

Upon arrival at Ibrox, you inherit the oldest squad in the league and a pool of bang average players minus a few potential gems who I will cover later in this section. The obvious kingpin of your team should be the young Scouser Jordan Rossiter who can help form the spine of your side for many years to come and who is also a prime candidate for captain when Lee Wallace eventually moves on. The likes of James Taverneir and Barrie McKay should be enough for the first season but their long term future in the starting 11 should be given serious thought if you want to re-establish the club at the top.

GOALKEEPERS:

Wes Foderingham should be your number 1 with Gilks as competent backup for the first season although it is an area which should be looked at before you start the second year. At 25, Foderingham can still develop slightly and performs to a decent, if unremarkable standard. Personally I used Gilks for the early League Cup games in order to keep Wes fresh for the league.

ve3afn.png

24pfgc4.png

DEFENCE:

Definitely a position which needs your immediate attention and is possibly the weakest area of the team. Danny Wilson is the only centre back who I would trust as the likes of Hill, Kiernan and Senderos are prone to costly errors. I managed to get £250k for Senderos in the first window after a horrific debut (sound familiar?). The rest are notoriously difficult to sell although I did keep Hill as a tutor for the youngsters. I'd recommend giving Wilson as much game time as possible as he develops well and is also home-grown at the club which will serve you well for when Europe comes back into the picture.

2qdd8vm.png

33jig61.png

2ng8zgo.png

i238tv.png

The full-back position is another position that is fairly light and with Lee Wallace being the only natural left-back in the first team, cover is advised. Andy Halliday can be successfully retrained into a LB but he is very much a short-term fix. Hodson on the right hand side is also decent backup for the first season but eventually a new RB will be needed to compete with Tavernier.

214yqld.png

dxelhz.png

jfe0dz.png

MIDFIELD:

Barring Rossiter, the centre of midfield lacks quality, potential and contains a few players on high wages (Barton & Kranjcar) who's performances don't justify their salaries. The likes of Windass, Halliday & Crooks will never be good enough to challenge for a place and should be loaned out in the hope that they develop enough to command a decent fee. Jason Holt lacks the physicality for the SPFL although this could be helped by playing him in a midfield 3 alongside more physical team-mates. Another position where I'd recommend you strengthen.

wspoo7.png

2449xq9.png

108b7tv.png

2rddxg1.png

w9cpjc.png

20gnqc5.png

2woekx0.png

WINGERS:

Another position that needs addressing is the wings, with only Barrie McKay deserving of a starting slot. Harry Forrester's lack of work rate & teamwork means he is really only useful as an impact sub although he did perform well for me in that role, grabbing a few vital late goals. O'Halloran should be moved on as soon as possible as he is nowhere near good enough for the first team and is on a fairly high wage. You also have the likes of Miller, Waghorn, Halliday and Holt who can provide cover if numbers are tight.

4q0xlx.png

2lsh2kh.png

sf7y3a.png

FORWARDS:

Up front is the only area of the squad which doesn't require immediate attention. Joe Garner should be your first choice along with Waghorn depending on what formation you select. Garners arial prowess should give him the nod if you decide to go with a 1 man system although Waghorns work rate is crucial for tough away games. Dodoo and Miller are adequate cover for the first few months of the first season with Miller being an excellent tutor for the younger lads. 

r7w4y9.png

216d10.png

2nhduew.png

4rs56f.png

Edited by Rino72.

SQUAD: U20'S

jslf9v.jpg

The U20 squad contains a number of players who can develop into key players for the team if given the correct training and playing time. The standouts include, Liam Burt, Robby McCrorie, Ross McCrorie, Zak Rudden, Serge Atakayi and Jack Thomson. Depending on your save you also have the likes of Max Ashmore, Jamie Barjonas, Aidan Wilson and Ross Lyon who can also be trained into decent players if given the correct training/tutoring. I'd recommend setting up a lower league feeder club to send the older members of the squad out on loan if you don't feel they can challenge for the first team yet. Also out on loan are the likes of Ryan Hardie, Jordan Thompson, Tom Walsh and Liam Kelly with the former two having potential to be key players.

HOT PROSPECTS:

2mo1elh.png

16hup8g.png

vfk2ef.png

23h0kn7.png

2rqca4p.png

aagj9d.png

OUT ON LOAN:

3164sqx.png

14mtlcm.png

STAFF:

Your backroom team at the start of the game is fairly thin and with Frank McParland being courted by English PL teams as soon as you kick off the save, he is virtually impossible to keep hold of. The compensation however can go towards getting a few quality replacements in. Scouting is an area which needs addressed first and depending on how many leagues you've loaded, it shouldn't be a problem in putting together a very decent scouting team. Out of the original backroom staff, Jim Stewart is the only one I'd keep although Jamie Ramsden can develop into a fairly decent fitness coach. Below is a list of the staff members I'd recommend:

4fh5g.png

sgj1xe.png

2namqky.png

2n151ya.png

2hn04u0.png

2dr78zk.png

Edited by Rino72.

TRANSFERS:

As stated earlier, the squad you inherit is very poor so strengthening is required in almost every area of the pitch. If you've loaded enough leagues, there are a number of quality free agents who can be added which in turn allows you to keep the majority of your £1.2m budget - I put most of this money into expanding the wage budget. The loan market is also somewhere you should exploit as most of the bigger sides allow you to grab a few of their quality youngsters without having to pay anything towards wages. Below is a list of the players who have done well for me so far...

DIEGO POYET (CDM/CM) - FREE AGENT:

2jb9si.png

YOHAN TAVARES (CB) - FREE AGENT:

2ibi7gx.png

ZAKARIA LABYAD (AML/C) - FREE AGENT:

33oktc1.png

GREGORY NELSON (MR/L, AMR/L) - FREE AGENT:

o8819k.png

INDRIDI SIGURDSSON (CB) - KR, £13K:

1zoz3nk.png

MARIUS LUNDEMO (MC/AMC) - LILLESTROM, PRE-CONTRACT (CAN JOIN IMMEDIATELY FOR £31K):

2aj98y1.png

CARLES ALENA (MC/AMC) - BARCELONA, LOAN:

331zix2.png

AINSLEY MAITLAND-NILES (MC/MR/AMR) - ARSENAL, LOAN (CAN SIGN ON PRE-CONTRACT IN JAN):

qp0z0j.png

AXEL TUANZEBE (CB) - MAN UTD, LOAN: 

wlzj4k.png

JOSH MURPHY (AML) - NORWICH, LOAN:

352g1eh.png

If you're still challenging in the league in January then ask the board for more funds, I managed to get given £3m which I used to pay off the likes of Kranjcar & Barton. Also spent the vast majority of it on this guy:

LOUIS SCHAUB (AMC) - RAPID VIENNA, £2M:

14145za.png

Edited by Rino72.

TACTICS

If you are to challenge in the first season back, which is a huge task, then tactics need to be spot on. I am not guaranteeing these tactics will bring success as they are tailored to my squad. Also credit goes to Rashidi, Cleon etc who's blogs and videos have helped me no end. If you're struggling with tactics, which I have been since FM16 then I highly recommend their excellent guides.

I went for a mixture of systems to suit the 3 types of opponents I would encounter in the first year:

4-3-3 (Structured, Attacking):

I used this system at home against teams who's defence and midfield wouldn't be able to cope with the onslaught of direct, attacking football. The 2 players alongside my midfield playmaker have PI Close Down Much More and the front 3 have Close Down More selected to ensure we press with a high block and win the ball back in the opponents half. Full backs are also set to Fewer Risky Passes.

2j2b2tk.png 6te1ah.png

4-2-3-1 (Fluid, Control):

This was used against teams who would sit deep with every player behind the ball much like a lot of the teams we encounter in real life. The D-Line would sometimes be dropped back to normal and I'd use TI Retain Possession to entice teams out and free some space in the final 3rd of the pitch. 

3442jgw.png s45h0k.png

4-1-4-1 (Structured, Counter):

This was saved for tough away and home games where I needed to grind out wins. It was actually a fairly attacking setup and with the attacking CM with PI Move Into Channels, he actually became a goal threat and is instrumental for arriving late in the box and grabbing goals. The F9 was only selected in my second year with the arrival of Hervin Ongenda, although Waghorn could do well in that role.

3127m6v.png 2hrevxx.png

Edited by Rino72.

It can be a real struggle in the first season, especially with the Board's ridiculous demands for you to finish first in the SPL.  Not a lot can be done with the squad, although I did sell O'Halloran who was good in pre season and dreadful thereafter.  Reasonably steady with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation.  One tip is to watch where you play Waghorn and Forrester:  Waghorn is natural as an AMR but, because his strong foot is his left, he cuts inside all the time, regardless of player or team instructions-same with Forrester if you play him on the left, so I have played them with Wag on the left and Forrester on the right with some success.  Foderingham is not prone to injury, so you can run light with only a backup keeper.  Wilson is steady with Keirnan.  Tav will drive you nuts with his free kicks, despite his good attributes.  It is not that he misses them, but misses them by 10 yards from only 19 yards out.  Rossiter and Crooks are worthy DMs.  McKay is a disappointment and Garner inconsistent.  Dodoo is prone to injury.

At the end of season one, I took the decision to get rid of all the older, high earning players like Gilks, Hill, Senderos, Barton, Miller and Kranjcar.  I got DL Taylor from Leeds on a free, MC Tunnicliffe from Fulham on a free, DC Browning from Everton on a free and signed ST Jordan Larsson ( yes, son of you know who) from Sweden plus from my usual source of good youths, a couple from Portugal ( SLB and FCP carry enormous squads with loads of talent ).  I also bought Ryan Christie from Celtic who can play across the middle or AML

Be aware of the problems of having enough home grown players for Europe as the current squad is very short-you might need to leave spaces

Your lucky if you get to the end of season one.  I have played 2 saves and got the sack both times.  I have never been sacked in a Rangers save ever then 2 come along at once.  My first save I was only a few points behind Hearts in 3rd,,, but the Board expected first place,, really,, in the first season back up,, where did FM17 get this idea from,,,if anything the real life Board are constantly going on about taking time and building for the future.

My second save was fair enough ,, we where doing terrible.  Despite bringing in Kenny McLean from Aberdeen and Ozturk from Hearts they just couldn't buy a win in the second half of the season.  I tried everything from line ups to formations, new coaches, new scouts, upgrading facilities , listening to Ass man advice on everything on the one save and going off my own idea in the other,, in the end nothing made any difference whatsoever,,, and I dont think Rossiter was fit for more than 6 games in either save,,, haven't enjoyed a Rangers save less  EVER !!! 

22 hours ago, Rino72. said:

SQUAD: U20'S

jslf9v.jpg

The U20 squad contains a number of players who can develop into key players for the team if given the correct training and playing time. The standouts include, Liam Burt, Robby McCrorie, Ross McCrorie, Zak Rudden, Serge Atakayi and Jack Thomson. Depending on your save you also have the likes of Max Ashmore, Jamie Barjonas, Aidan Wilson and Ross Lyon who can also be trained into decent players if given the correct training/tutoring. I'd recommend setting up a lower league feeder club to send the older members of the squad out on loan if you don't feel they can challenge for the first team yet. Also out on loan are the likes of Ryan Hardie, Jordan Thompson, Tom Walsh and Liam Kelly with the former two having potential to be key players.

HOT PROSPECTS:

2mo1elh.png

16hup8g.png

vfk2ef.png

23h0kn7.png

2rqca4p.png

aagj9d.png

OUT ON LOAN:

3164sqx.png

14mtlcm.png

STAFF:

Your backroom team at the start of the game is fairly thin and with Frank McParland being courted by English PL teams as soon as you kick off the save, he is virtually impossible to keep hold of. The compensation however can go towards getting a few quality replacements in. Scouting is an area which needs addressed first and depending on how many leagues you've loaded, it shouldn't be a problem in putting together a very decent scouting team. Out of the original backroom staff, Jim Stewart is the only one I'd keep although Jamie Ramsden can develop into a fairly decent fitness coach. Below is a list of the staff members I'd recommend:

4fh5g.png

sgj1xe.png

2namqky.png

2n151ya.png

2hn04u0.png

2dr78zk.png

How many leagues did you load for this save? I done a Rangers save right at the start of fm17 got bored very easily with it though in the end somehow.

12 minutes ago, steff91 said:

How many leagues did you load for this save? I done a Rangers save right at the start of fm17 got bored very easily with it though in the end somehow.

Leagues I have loaded are Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland & Sweden. Top divisions only. Some quality players can be picked up for peanuts in Scandinavia.

Edited by Rino72.
3 minutes ago, Rino72. said:

Leagues I have loaded are Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland & Sweden. Top divisions only. Some quality players can be picked up for peanuts in Scandinavia.

Quite an interesting choice of leagues there...

3 minutes ago, steff91 said:

Quite an interesting choice of leagues there...

Yeah money's tight and it doesn't get much better in the second season so have my scouts all over Europe trying to unearth gems! If only we could do the same in real life...

just got to the end of the first transfer window. sitting pretty at the top of the tree with 3 wins and a draw, however c*ltic have 2 games in hand and i play them next 

playing a 4231 tactic 

Fotheringham - Gilks

Tav - Hodson

Senderos - Keirnan

Wilson - Hill

Wallace - Gallacher ( Falkirk 60k )

Barton - Telfer ( Dundee United 500k )

Halliday - Rossiter - Crooks

Waggy - Windass

Niko - Holt

Mckay - Forrester

Garner - Dodoo

still have miller but i will only be using him for cover this season then hes offski, got some injuries to my wingers thats making me wish i signed another one whilst the transfer window was open. but i have faith in the youth :)

was desperately trying to sell MOH but no one wanted him expect St johnstone so hes away to perth for the season on loan

Eventually managed to win the title back in the second season after an away draw with Celtic, I'd like to think my players done the huddle after winning it there :D

Despite having little to no money to spend, the signings I made (mostly all free's) all worked out well. The two standouts were no doubt Rachid Ghezzal and Hervin Ongenda who both hit double figures in goals and assists with European clubs circling. Also 6'6 Eric Matholo was a rock at the heart of the defence and Jack Grimmer has displaced Tav as first choice RB. 

With money still tight, CL qualification is a must  and once again I'm looking at the bosman market for additions. Nathaniel Chalobah and Marco Van Ginkel are both being let go by Chelsea so they're my top two targets although wages might be a problem. Another player who I'm desperate to land is Jorge Correa although he's been denied a work permit twice. 

With money in the red at the end of the season, hopefully CL football brings the cash in and gets us back on an even keel with our friends across the city.

Edited by Rino72.

Made a good start to the season, won all the Betfred cup games and sitting top of the league after 3 wins from 4 games. Dundee beat us 2-1. Next up is the Girodome.

Tried to get rid of Gilks, Wilson, Keirnon and O'Halloran, offered them all out for free + a 1k weekly wage contribution...no one even made a transfer bid. Had to settle with loaning out O'Halloran to Dundee and Kiernon to Inverness. No one wanted Wilson haha.

Got rid of most the backroom staff and brought in some good coaches and scouts.

Said to board i would win the League and the Scottish Cup, which gave me i think an extra 200k added to the bugdet. Made a lot of signings, mostly all paying over 48 months which leaves the transfer debt sitting at 1.2M.

20161229213600_1.jpg

20161229213514_1.jpg

UPDATE: AUGUST WINDOW 2018

After bringing the title back home last season, CL football was once again a reality although investment would be needed to compete on the European front and get past the three qualifying rounds. After the successful free transfers of Ongenda, Ghezzal and Matholo, the Bosman market would be where I'd once again be focusing my attention as the board could only provide me with a paltry £950k for transfers although they did make another £20k available in wages.

In my previous post above, I mentioned that there were a few quality players who looked like they would soon be without a club, the two standouts being Nathaniel Chalobah and Marco Van Ginkel at Chelsea. I wanted to make sure I'd get at least one of those players in although I knew both would be unrealistic. With the wage budget extended, I managed to secure Chalobah's signature early in the window on a £14k p/w 5 year deal which is a great piece of business. Van Ginkel opted for Sociedad.

As I'd stuck with more or less the same players throughout last season in order not to disrupt our title charge, a few fringe players were unhappy with lack of game time. Taking advantage of this, I decided to place them all on the transfer list in order to cash in. Gedion Zelalem, a free transfer from Arsenal was sold to Sparta Rotterdam for £1.1m to kick things off and a few days later, another free transfer, backup keeper Ronwen Williams sold to FC Copenhagen for £1.2m. This mode of operating looked like the best method going forward and another player who arrived on the cheap, Marius Lundemo (£31k) was shipped off to Auxerre for £1.7m.

With some money now to play with, I decided to add a few home-grown Scottish players to help with CL registration. In came Murray Wallace (£1.2m), Stephen Kingsley (£350k) and John McGinn (£2m). Also coming in was a transfer listed Rob Holding from Arsenal who looks a class above SPFL level so I was delighted to bring him in for a relatively small £1.7m.

Although I shipped on most of the unhappy players, there was still one who I just couldn't come to terms with selling. It was star man and now fan favourite Rachid Ghezzal who wanted to play in a bigger league. He was more or less the reason we won the league and cup last season and selling him would be suicide, or so I thought. After giving in and shoving him on the transfer list, QPR came in with an offer I couldn't refuse. The winger who arrived on a free transfer from Lyon the year before was off to London and the PL for £13.5m in a deal which would bring in some much needed funds. 

With a now considerable transfer budget (for a Scottish team at least) I knew I'd have to search far and wide for a replacement and I knew replacing a player of his quality wouldn't come cheap. Little did I know veteran winger Cristian Rodriguez of Porto & Atletico fame was rotting in Sporting Lisbon's reserves and was available for £500k. His experience would be vital in Europe so I was delighted when he agreed to join us on £12k p/w. 

By far the biggest deal (not financially) was when after the world cup, I noticed a familiar name from previous FM's had won the best young player at the tournament. It was Romanian Andrei Ivan who was still at his hometown club and who had a £3.4m release clause for foreign clubs. I knew he would soon be courted by the big clubs so I moved in quick and after some tough negotiating, he agreed to join on a 5 year deal on £20.5k p/w. If he develops like he did in last years game then we have an absolutely unstoppable talent on our hands and it has now given me a headache as Hervin Ongenda is progressing brilliantly. I'm still debating wether to change my tactics to a two striker system to accommodate both.

As this is a fairly long winded post, I will put up my results in the first two months of the season in my next post. Below is a a few screens of my squad etc at the end of the summer window...

SQUAD:

fxcfwn.png

TRANSFERS:

2lb126v.png

ROB HOLDING:

32zrt5l.png

ANDREI IVAN:

24flkbk.png

Edited by Rino72.

Finished the 1st season with a double in winning league 13 points clear of Celtic, was a bit easy in the end...Celtic only scored 52 goals in the league all season. Hearts finished in 7th, hoping to pick up John Souttar off them in the summer transfer window.  Also won the League Cup but unfortunetely lost in the Scottish Cup Final to the sheep.

Brought in Adam Armstrong in January on loan until the end of the season and he scored some important goals.

McGinn, Haugen, Mckay, Puerto and Lundemo have been the best players, hoping to sell them all on in a few seasons for big money.

Stuck Burt, Robby McCrorie and Matthew Knox out on loan too and they all look like they could be 1st team players in a few seasons.

Milenkovic went out on loan to Metz in January and ended up starting 18 games in Ligue 1, looks to have improved dramatically,  he will be 1st choice centre back next season. Clint Hil tutored him and he now has determination of 19 which is great. Hill is the perfect tutor!

20170102123448_1.jpg

Have Lovre Kalinic, Jai Quitingo, Nebosja Kosovic and Unai Bilbao (after impressing while on loan to me) coming on bosmans.

Hoping to do a big turnover of the squad and sell a lot of players this summer and bring in some new ones to improve the squad.

Spent4.9m this season on 'Ground Maintenance'....thats not realistic is it?!

Ideal situation is to qualify for the Champions League group stages for the money that would bring in but would be happy with getting into the Europa League.

I normally always play as Rangers.....but fancied a change this season, as it gets too easy to win the league after a couple of seasons, so haven't done it yet.

Whats the starting budgets? Cant imagine we'll have loads of cash to splash about unless I sell players?

Also, a few players look a bit under rated to me when compared to other players in Scotland. What does everyone else think?

23 hours ago, Wightman said:

I normally always play as Rangers.....but fancied a change this season, as it gets too easy to win the league after a couple of seasons, so haven't done it yet.

Whats the starting budgets? Cant imagine we'll have loads of cash to splash about unless I sell players?

Also, a few players look a bit under rated to me when compared to other players in Scotland. What does everyone else think?

The starting budget isn't brilliant, but it could be worse. I think it's a few hundred K.

Some players are spec'd oddly but remember they were made from a Championship point of view, so it'll be off slightly anyway.

I'm in my 3rd season now as Rangers manager, I can't recall everything I did at the start but from the off I strengthened my defence by bringing in Pierrick Cros from Red Star FC. He has been an absolute delight ever since. 600k all in (500 up front I believe) and ever since he's been solid. 7.33 in season 1, 7.46 season 2 and 5 games in to season 3 and he's 7.80. If you do get him then be careful as he insisted upon a release clause in his contract which was probably the amount I signed him for, ended up having to give him a few contracts to get rid of it.

Beyond that the only other player I signed was Daryl Horgan who I got on a bosman from Dundalk. Again, a great wee player who scored 10 in 28 with 6 assists in season 2.

Outgoings in season 1 were a bit poor cause no one wanted to leave. Senderos left for buttons in January

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 12:32, kane_richards said:

The starting budget isn't brilliant, but it could be worse. I think it's a few hundred K.

Some players are spec'd oddly but remember they were made from a Championship point of view, so it'll be off slightly anyway.

I'm in my 3rd season now as Rangers manager, I can't recall everything I did at the start but from the off I strengthened my defence by bringing in Pierrick Cros from Red Star FC. He has been an absolute delight ever since. 600k all in (500 up front I believe) and ever since he's been solid. 7.33 in season 1, 7.46 season 2 and 5 games in to season 3 and he's 7.80. If you do get him then be careful as he insisted upon a release clause in his contract which was probably the amount I signed him for, ended up having to give him a few contracts to get rid of it.

Beyond that the only other player I signed was Daryl Horgan who I got on a bosman from Dundalk. Again, a great wee player who scored 10 in 28 with 6 assists in season 2.

Outgoings in season 1 were a bit poor cause no one wanted to leave. Senderos left for buttons in January

I didn't expect the budget to be much. Getting rid of the high earners would also be my first port of call.

Off the top of my head Lee Wallace has been underrated the past few versions and I cant believe Forresters work rate is so low. I also think O'Halloran and Windass are quite underrated, especially Windass. No point going on about it but its a bit annoying.

I'll start a game soon tho, there a few cheap gems out there so i'll need to have a good look around. How did Horgan do for you? I've looked at him a few times but always decided against him. Ive bought Akinde a few times, who plays somewhere in Ireland (Bohemians at a guess).

Cheers for doing the thread, I had hoped to but too busy and never got round to it. 

I've just finished my 3rd season with Rangers, found it far to easy, I've enjoyed it but starting a new game tonight, but when I saw the thread had been created I thought I'd post my experience. 

As said 3 seasons in, I have won the treble all three seasons, reached Champions League last 16 in second season and Quarter finals in third.

Tactic has been the same since day one:

It's an attacking 4-4-2, with focus on winning the ball back and spreading  it to attacking players, with inside forwards charging into the box, and attacking fullbacks creating width. Only real change I make, is changing AP to BWM and maybe CWB to a more defensive role if holding on to a lead. 20170116205848_1.jpg

20170116205834_1.jpg

Even with new found wealth I've been pretty strict with transfer spending, but during season 1 I spent very very little. Here's the in's and out's for season 1. 20170116210701_1.jpg

I took Zelelam and Chirivella on loan but both were released back to their parent clubs, after I realized I had no place for them in the squad. Carles Alena came on the behest of a scout, and in the end has stayed for 3 seasons and is an integral part to the squad.

Macheda and Spence came in on free's after 4 week trials and both were a huge hit, with Macheda scoring 34 goals that season. Fraser Fyvie came in to give me a more experienced head in midfield over Rossiter.  N'Zogbia added assists after christmas, when I had some serious injury issues. 

No matter what I tried, Kranjcar couldn't get fit and I released him around Christmas. Senderos was terrible, and left to AEK. Barton ended up in the reserves after he went public about lack of chances (terrible) and wouldn't have a civilized conversation with me, released in second season. 

Here's how the League finished. I'll add info on other seasons soon. 

20170116211447_1.jpg

On 16/01/2017 at 21:16, ftblmanager said:

Cheers for doing the thread, I had hoped to but too busy and never got round to it. 

I've just finished my 3rd season with Rangers, found it far to easy, I've enjoyed it but starting a new game tonight, but when I saw the thread had been created I thought I'd post my experience. 

As said 3 seasons in, I have won the treble all three seasons, reached Champions League last 16 in second season and Quarter finals in third.

Tactic has been the same since day one:

It's an attacking 4-4-2, with focus on winning the ball back and spreading  it to attacking players, with inside forwards charging into the box, and attacking fullbacks creating width. Only real change I make, is changing AP to BWM and maybe CWB to a more defensive role if holding on to a lead. 20170116205848_1.jpg

20170116205834_1.jpg

Even with new found wealth I've been pretty strict with transfer spending, but during season 1 I spent very very little. Here's the in's and out's for season 1. 20170116210701_1.jpg

I took Zelelam and Chirivella on loan but both were released back to their parent clubs, after I realized I had no place for them in the squad. Carles Alena came on the behest of a scout, and in the end has stayed for 3 seasons and is an integral part to the squad.

Macheda and Spence came in on free's after 4 week trials and both were a huge hit, with Macheda scoring 34 goals that season. Fraser Fyvie came in to give me a more experienced head in midfield over Rossiter.  N'Zogbia added assists after christmas, when I had some serious injury issues. 

No matter what I tried, Kranjcar couldn't get fit and I released him around Christmas. Senderos was terrible, and left to AEK. Barton ended up in the reserves after he went public about lack of chances (terrible) and wouldn't have a civilized conversation with me, released in second season. 

Here's how the League finished. I'll add info on other seasons soon. 

20170116211447_1.jpg

Good job mate, I've not touched my Rangers save in a few days but I'm about 4 months into the 3rd season and things are going well both domestically and in Europe.

Cruised into the CL for the first time after winning all my qualifiers and was given a tough group of Man City, Shakhtar and Schalke.

Started off with 2 wins out of 2 (Shakhtar & Schalke) and if I can get anything out of the 2 City games then the last 16 is looking good.

Ongenda & Ivan have been superb up front with the former top scorer in the CL. 

Hibs are running me all the way in the league though, mostly down to Liam Burt who I stupidly loaned them. He will be getting recalled in January as DW rates him as 3.5 star CA and 5 star PA. Future captain material if he can keep current form up.

Finally finished season two, could have been one of my best ever FM seasons but ended in dissapointment. Still won a double with the League and League Cup but lost in the Scottish Cup final to the tims and then the Europa League final to AC Milan.

League was pretty straight forward, team i have is far too good for the Scottish League. After finishing 3rd in Champions League with a group consisting of Benfica, Monaco and Shaktahr i was happy to drop into the Europa League. Managed to get a relatively easy pathway to the semi, beating Valencia but ultimately losing to Milan. Great run and brought in much needed cash. Now into early July and i've renewed nearly every players contract worth keeping, getting rid of release clauses. Also singed some cracking players already.

Have Man city and Chelsea after Rossiter but refusing all offers. Prem teams after Knox, Gallagher, Lundemo, Souttar, Murg and Milenkovic but going to refuse all offers for them dont care if they are pissed off, i want one more season out of them.

Having loads of fun as Rangers right now, this FM does seem a bit easier than previous years though?

20170122185714_1.jpg20170122185816_1.jpg20170122185801_1.jpg20170122190054_1.jpg

Matthew Knox - Developed very nicely, great stats and is going to be my future number 1 striker, think i'll put him out on loan this season coming though as i have 2 top class strikers coming in.

Rossiter - Made him captain, best player on the team, think i can get 15m+ for him at the end of next season. Developing great!

Milenkovic - Absolute bargain buy, had offers of 8m in January from Sevilla but rejected them and he was unhappy but dont care, another 10m+ player to sell on!

Ryan Gauld Only on loan but what an impact, assist machine, hoping to get him on loan again.

Tony Gallagher - Must buy for anyone playing as Rangers, displaced Lee Wallace half way into my 1st season. Stats gone down a wee bit in that screenshot but he has improved drastically. Need to fend off clubs from singing him this summer.

Robby McCrorie - Had him out on loan to St Mirren 1st season and then St Johnstone in 2nd season, came along nicely. Gonna give him game time this coming seaon. Looks great!

Liam Burt - Looks pretty good at end of season two, potentially a future 1st team player, wait and see. Played 45 games for MK Dons in the Championship and its done good.

Also reccomend signing Lovre Kalinic as a goalkeeper at the end of season one, can get him on a bosman. Signed him for West Ham in a save i also have going on and he is top class!

Finally started with Rangers. I'm playing on the mobile version nowadays, think its a lot easier to sell players on this version.

In the first transfer window I've managed to sell.....

Krancjar (250k)

Miller (80k)

Forrester (1.5m)

Kiernan (250k)

Aird (100k)

Also, trying to sell O'Halloran and Crooks.

I've brought in....

F.Rossi (Free)

S.Koc (Free)

Tavares (Free)

H.Costa (975k from Benfica)

Joe Gomez on loan

I was going to buy Cummings and Quitongo however, Waghorn has been on fire and Dodoo looks just as good Quitongo so I'm gonna wait til January before signing anyone else. Anybody bought the young left back Gallacher from Falkirk? He's linked with everyone in real life so was going to take a punt on him and Matthew Knox. Thoughts?

Hammered Hamilton 3 nil in my first league game of the season......

Had a quick look to see if there were any loan deals I could make....so had a quick search and saw Dolberg from Ajax was available, didn't think I would get him but couldn't turn down the chance so put a hopefully bid in and somehow he agreed to come!

Also, got £1.3m for O'Halloran :) trying to sell Garner now aswell as I only play 1 up front and have Waghorn, Dolberg and Dodoo for that position.

Gonna retrain Halliday as a left back, hes competent there just now but im going to train him up to natural then i'll have backup for Wallace for the rest of the season.

Just got the game last week there been dicking about with a Rangers save since they are my team - going to start properly once I have the hang of the game, I've not played since FM2011 and it's massively different.

McKay, Waghorn, Tavernier, Rossiter seem decent but everyone else are either pish or average?

1 hour ago, sl92 said:

Just got the game last week there been dicking about with a Rangers save since they are my team - going to start properly once I have the hang of the game, I've not played since FM2011 and it's massively different.

McKay, Waghorn, Tavernier, Rossiter seem decent but everyone else are either pish or average?

I'm playing the mobile version so I only have a limited amount of stats.

On the mobile version Wilson, Wes, Wallace and Jason Holt are decent aswell. They'll do a job for a couple of season until you get the Champions League money flowing in. Even Joey Barton is ok but I'm trying to punt him (cause of his wages) and get either McGinn or Ryan Jack. Trying to get a team full of Scottish players. Gonna try and get Burt in the first team as soon as possible too.

Season three finshed, was aiming for the domestic treble but only managed a double again. Celtic took me pretty close in the league was pretty much neck and neck unil the split and eventually won it by 9 points. Lost League cup final to the tims but beat them in the Scottish cup final. Great Champions League run finishing 2nd in a group with Barca and Bayern then went on to beat Leverkusen on away goals in 1st knockout round before getting knocked out by Man U in the quarters.

With the European exploits the league has risen up the rankings, now get 3.5m for winning the league and tv money also rose a tad which is good.

Hardly spent any money due to selling players on for good money. Haksabinovic later went to Zenit for 22m in the January after selling him to Moscow in the summer, perhaps should have held on to him a bit later to get more money but hey ho. Was delighted to bring Lewis Macleod home after spending the period between September and Janurary unsettling him by declaring my interest every so often, worked a charm.

20170127195930_1.jpg20170127195942_1.jpg

Robby McCrorie - Alternated him with Kalinic and Rajkovic and done well. Future number 1!

Tony Gallagher - Is now pretty close to his potential according to coaches so as you can see he turns into a pretty good left back! Hope we sign him in real life, seems to be pretty highly rated.

Jordan Rossiter - Brillaint in game, now a first pick for England, going to sell him in the summer.

Isak - What a signing, scored goals for fun. Probably sell him on though.

Milenkovic - Rock at the back, after signing for 250k in 1st season its time for him to move on. One of my favourite FM players.

Sansone - Far too good for this league, ebts came in handy when convining him to sign.

Matthew Knox - His goals got Palace promotion, will be part of the squad for next season. Develpoed Nicely.

Ryan Hardie - Pretty much the ideal poacher, developed well too, will either sell him or loan him out again, not good enough for my team i dont think, prefer a more complete forward.

Aims for next season is a domestic treble, Champions League after Christmas, promote one or two regens to the 1st team and start the road to an all British xi.

Edited by Whatawaster95

I'm the same, I want an all British XI....preferably just Scottish players from Auchenhowie if possible though.

Because I'm playing the mobile version I've only really got Hardie, Burt and the Atakayi coming through just now. I'm not sure about the McCrories, maybe the keeper will be decent in a couple of seaons.  

• 2 weeks later...

In December of my 2nd season now and topped my Europa League group. The boards expectations of me at the start of the season were well below Rangers standard. They asked me to qualify for Europa League and get into the 3rd Qualifying stage of the Europa League as well as reaching the semis of the Scottish Cup. These expectations matched the budget given to me. Gave me 300k and 6k extra in the wage budget. I was not impressed and i feared for the season ahead. In my Europa League Group i got Dynamo Kiev, FC Midjtylland and West Ham. Finished 1st in that group and only had 1 loss (final game v west ham away 2-0). In the league I'm going back and forth with Celtic with just a point separating us at the moment. In the next round of the Europa League I was drawn against Mainz. I am confident of reaching the last 16 of the Europa League and will do another update later telling everyone how i got one. My Team is looking like this

IMG_2303.thumb.PNG.0e1652490685930fbd7e3b9f18fd90d4.PNG

Performing pretty solid as of late. For some reason it won't let my upload my results so ill just summarise them here; W22 D9 L5. My losses have come against Celtic x2, Hearts, West Ham and Malmo FF.

I will post an update either later on or tomorrow on my 2nd half of the season. 

Just finished my 2nd season and wow.. What a season. Defeated Mainz  2-0 on agg. in 1st knockout round of Europa League. Then came ROMA. At this stage i thought my run was over, little did i know we would win 4-2 in the first leg at home, they got 2 cheap penalties, undeserved. The agg. score of this round was 4-3 after we lost 1-0 in Rome. I watched the Quarter Finals be drawn with intent, the favourites to win the entire tournament were Man. City, they were the one team i hoped to avoid, but it wasn't to be. We had Manchester City away in the QF First leg. Will make this hurtful part brief, we lost 6-0 in the first leg, 2-0 in the second leg. European dream was over, time to focus on the Scottish Cup. Celtic had ran away with the league. Fittingly, it was Celtic we would end up facing in the Final. We were 2-0 up after 15 mins and coasting, no worries in the world. Half time came and went, still 2-0 no problems here, i thought. Approaching the hour mark and they got a chance, Celtic converted it. 2-1. Sloppy goal, time to shut up shop and don't force any errors. We came to the 78th minute and there 2nd decent chance came, basic goal, incredibly similar to the first, it was 2-2. It was looking like it was heading to Extra Time to decide a winner. Nope,  85 mins in. Leigh Griffiths scored. It was 3-2 to Celtic. I was speechless. What had just happened.. 

FT Celtic 3-2 Rangers

Some work needs to be done in the summer, I know where i need to strengthen and now its just a case of finding the right players to bring in and finally secure title 55. 

Just starting my new Gers save (just moved back from Aus to Scotland). in my previous save i managed to win the league in season two so hoping i can do that with this one. Hopefully have more luck getting rid of older players this time as it was nigh on impossible last save.

• 1 month later...

I'm a few months into my first season with rangers and I've kept the same squad really, brought in mcgrandles on loan for a season and bought Robson from Dundee united to rotate with Wallace and john McGinn, only player I've let go so far is Andy Halliday, 

so in defence I have senderos and Wilson playing most games and I had hill and kiernan as back up, however hill got injured for 8/9 months and had just said he's gonna retire so I really need a defender in as kiernan is leaving at the end of the season, 

i only have around 400k to spend with around 14k available for wages, suggestions appreciated 

4 hours ago, A.McL1 said:

I'm a few months into my first season with rangers and I've kept the same squad really, brought in mcgrandles on loan for a season and bought Robson from Dundee united to rotate with Wallace and john McGinn, only player I've let go so far is Andy Halliday, 

so in defence I have senderos and Wilson playing most games and I had hill and kiernan as back up, however hill got injured for 8/9 months and had just said he's gonna retire so I really need a defender in as kiernan is leaving at the end of the season, 

i only have around 400k to spend with around 14k available for wages, suggestions appreciated 

Milenkovic is brilliant, in my post further up you can see how he develops and is valued at 4.5m in 3rd season after buying for 250k in 1st season. A cheap option is Ruben Dias on loan from either Porto or Benfica cant remember who it is he plays for.

19 hours ago, A.McL1 said:

On my rangers save I got axel tzuanbe from Man Utd on loan in Jan of the 1st season, he was quality and kept him for the 2nd season as well where he won fans player of the year. Might be worth a look plus he will be very cheap on wages. 

Also might not help now as you will probably have to wait until end of the 1st season but have a look at Eric Matholo, I got him on a free at end of the 1st and him and tzuanbe formed a great partnership at the back, which helped us win the title in the 2nd season.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Just bought FM17 and thought i'd have a wee perusal of this thread, to pick up ideas for players. Unfortunately it looks like the freebies mentioned have been nicked (well in 17.3). so just wondering how folks are doing and if they've come across any decent bargains.

6 hours ago, dragosani said:

Hi folks,

Just bought FM17 and thought i'd have a wee perusal of this thread, to pick up ideas for players. Unfortunately it looks like the freebies mentioned have been nicked (well in 17.3). so just wondering how folks are doing and if they've come across any decent bargains.

On my rangers save I had, I had to settle for loans in the 1st year, but did get Ryan Gauld and axel tuanzebe on loan who were both quality.

However in the 2nd season I did pick up Charlie Adam and sammy ameobi on frees, plus a defender called Eric matholo, who is well worth a look, absolute beast of a player for team like rangers. His attributes don't look amazing but rarely got a rating below 7.

If you can get him as well try to get adalberto penaranda on loan from Watford, had him in the 2nd season and just tore up the Scottish league and Europe as well.

In all honesty the 2nd season is better for players, the 1st season you just sort of have to get by with some loans, in my experience anyway.

1 hour ago, sedge11 said:

On my rangers save I had, I had to settle for loans in the 1st year, but did get Ryan Gauld and axel tuanzebe on loan who were both quality.

However in the 2nd season I did pick up Charlie Adam and sammy ameobi on frees, plus a defender called Eric matholo, who is well worth a look, absolute beast of a player for team like rangers. His attributes don't look amazing but rarely got a rating below 7.

If you can get him as well try to get adalberto penaranda on loan from Watford, had him in the 2nd season and just tore up the Scottish league and Europe as well.

In all honesty the 2nd season is better for players, the 1st season you just sort of have to get by with some loans, in my experience anyway.

Cheers Dude,

I'll keep an eye out for them :)

17 hours ago, dragosani said:

Cheers Dude,

I'll keep an eye out for them :)

No worries. Rangers is a really enjoyable save, especially when you get into Europe, the only problem for me was in the 3rd season the Scottish league got very easy, was winning games 6/7-0. So I stopped after 3 seasons. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Rino72. I'm very impressed with how quickly you managed to topple Celtic in your save. I am Celtic and honestly no team even comes close to me. You managed to sign some players who down right refused to enter talks with me though, but fair play you've done some excellent work there.

I'm just before half way point in my second season at Celtic, and can't get out of the Champions League group stages. Last year it was Arsenal and Madrid, this year it's Bayern and Barca. Pretty much just aim to beat the other team and get 3rd to attempt Europa league. Lost out last year by 1 goal to Fiorentina in the round of 16, but had a weaker squad then. That being said just lose 2-1 away to PSV in the group, did beat them at home though. Need to try and grab a point vs Barca or Bayern now though :/

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2017 at 20:15, craiigman said:

@Rino72. I'm very impressed with how quickly you managed to topple Celtic in your save. I am Celtic and honestly no team even comes close to me. You managed to sign some players who down right refused to enter talks with me though, but fair play you've done some excellent work there.

I'm just before half way point in my second season at Celtic, and can't get out of the Champions League group stages. Last year it was Arsenal and Madrid, this year it's Bayern and Barca. Pretty much just aim to beat the other team and get 3rd to attempt Europa league. Lost out last year by 1 goal to Fiorentina in the round of 16, but had a weaker squad then. That being said just lose 2-1 away to PSV in the group, did beat them at home though. Need to try and grab a point vs Barca or Bayern now though :/

Cheers mate. I think after Celtic lose Dembele etc the AI very rarely replace them well. Even manager wise after Rodgers left his replacement was Neil Lennon in my save!

Tempted to start a new save with the updated transfers for a warm up until the next version comes out. Will be the first FM for as long as I can remember that I won't need new centre halves :D