Need 8 points in 5 games, need help with 4231 that previously worked

(FM17) Started with Wimbledon and got promoted in the first season to the Championship. This was quite unexpected by me and the board and as a result I've had a tiny budget for the squad and have the lowest wages in the champo.. However, I think my tactic should be working better, as I made it to deal with a relegation battle in league 1, only for it to get me promoted, so I thought it would work against better teams. The tactic gives me lots of possession (about 55% average), but my players never seem to finish our chances. As a result I went on a long streak of not scoring, although the goals have started to come in, but I'm still on a long losing streak and now the board need me to get 8 points from 5 games. Any help is appreciated

20161225191659_1.jpg

20161225191851_1.jpg

20161225191902_1.jpg

Some of the TIs are confusing. E.g. Clear ball to flank but the look for the overlap seems a bit counter productive. Plus playing at a higher tempo but waiting for the overlap etc..

I would try using only retain possession and push higher up and see how that goes. 

You could also try making your LB a bit more attacking to add some width on that side and as you have 3 players already attacking the middle of the defence you could make the BBM a CMS or CMD to tighten up the midfield.

I have been using this formation & has been indifferent, esp. going for promotion in Championship.

Because you have lost so many in a bad run, morale must be low?

You need to encourage during games & team talks, maybe change mentality, shape? / pick stronger players?

Not a very good player,  but here are some suggestions,  although you may have to take your players skill set into account... 

Switch your front man from Advanced Forward to False Nine or Defensive Forward.  This compacts the midfield and gives your team more of the ball. 

Switch the two wing attackers to Advanced playmakers attack. They will run less with the ball and look to cut in. Again,  it compresses the pitch and retains possession.  You may wish to add the instruction 'gets forward'  when the team has the ball.   If one of them happens to be fairly good at long shots or through passing,  it is a great bonus. 

How are your CM characteristics like?  If they are strong and can tackle,  switch one to  BWM (support) ,  another leaving it as a CM (automatic). This allows the midfielders to mop up anything through the middle. 

Good luck! 

@gooseta

Don't you find it weird that your DLP and BBM are outscoring your IF, AP and W? In a setup like this, the two central midfielders are the shield in front of defense so they can't go forward too much. Also, because you already have four players up front you don't really need a runner from midfield. I would probably go for a combination of CM (D) on the left and DLP (S) on the right.

This would also give you the option to give your left-back a more attacking role so you would create a natural overlap. Maybe WB (S)? With the BBM gone, you probably lack an option in the box. I would change the AP to an AM (A) and customize him if you want him to be more creative. (dribble more, more through balls etc.) 

Team instruction wise; take into account that you already use ''counter'' and ''structured'' so your team won't be taking a lot of risk. Some instructions you are using right now might be a bit of overkill. 

Archived