Sports Interactive Community
Felipe Lobo

"Football Manager is running dangerously out of memory"

Hello, 

I played Football Manager 2017 since beta with no problems, until this week. When I try to start the game, I get this message: "Football Manager is running dangerously out of memory. Please quit and free up some memory. Tried to allocate 3537031888 bytes". 

When I click "OK", the message that pop up is: "Football Manager 2017 has run out of memory and will now quit. Tried to allocate 3537031888 bytes". 

I removed all graphics and Real Name Fix that I was using, but still didn't work. I read it might be a problem with Windows 10 managing memory. I use Windows 10 since I played the game in beta, but still installed Windows 7, installed Football Manager from scratch and the problem is the same. 

My system is Windows 7 64 bit, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core i5 2.27 GHz. 

Please, help me. 

How many leagues are you trying to run with what sized database? If you go to FM -> Add/Remove Leagues in your save game, how many players does it say are loaded?

What point do you get this memory warning? What are you doing in-game when it normally occurs? 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

How many leagues are you trying to run with what sized database? If you go to FM -> Add/Remove Leagues in your save game, how many players does it say are loaded?

What point do you get this memory warning? What are you doing in-game when it normally occurs? 

The problems occurs when I try to open the game. It doesn't even open. I don't get this far to choose how many leagues or the size of tha database. The message is shown when I click play on Steam. The game doesn't open. 

Ah okay. That's quite strange to get it at that point. Do you have any kind of anti-virus program installed? If so, what type? Did you reinstall the game after removing all the custom graphics/skins/add-ons etc? 

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

Ah okay. That's quite strange to get it at that point. Do you have any kind of anti-virus program installed? If so, what type? Did you reinstall the game after removing all the custom graphics/skins/add-ons etc? 

Yes, I have Avast as anti-virus. I reinstalled the game a couple of times, after removing all customization, but still prompt the same message. I tried to run FM 2016 and it worked. The problem is just FM 2017. 

Ah okay, Avast! has been known to cause issues with FM, so to determine whether it's causing the problem in this instance I would suggest if it's a paid for version of avast backup the activation code. Once that's done, make sure Windows Defender is running then uninstall avast. We ask to fully remove it as it can still sometimes have issues when it's disabled or with exceptions set up. Once you've done this, uninstall and reinstall FM.

I know this is a fair bit to do, but it's the best way to determine whether it's causing the issue. I know you would think if it's happening for 17 and not 16 it couldn't be the AV, but the way in which they work through Steam are different so a block could well be on one and not the other causing this problem. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.