FM17 - which formation are you using most often?

What is the formation you've been using most often in FM17?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What is the formation you've been using most often in FM17?

• 4-4-2 flat / 4-2-4 / 4-4-2 with 2 DMs
    • 4-1-2-2-1 / 4-3-3 wide
    • 4-2-3-1 wide
    • 4-2-3-1 narrow (3 AMCs)
    • 4-3-2-1 christmas tree (3 MCs, 2 AMCs)
    • 4-3-3 narrow (3 strikers)
    • 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 flat
    • 4-4-1-1
    • 4-4-2 narrow diamond (or 4-1-3-2 / 4-3-1-2 without wingers)
    • 4-4-2 wide diamond (or 4-1-3-2 / 4-3-1-2 with wingers)
    • 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 / 3-4-1-2 - 3-1-4-2
    • 3-6-1 / 3-4-2-1
    • 3-4-3 flat / 3-4-3 diamond (3 strikers)
    • 5-4-1
    • 4-6-0 / 4-2-4-0 / 3-7-0 / other strikerless
    • 4-4-2 Brazilian box (2 DMs and 2 MCs / or 2 MCs and 2 AMCs)
    • another formation
    • playing another version of the game other than FM17

Just starting out a thread to get a feel for which formations are people using at the moment. I've got to say the game feels quite well balanced at the moment and I think pretty much anything could well work when done right, but from looking around I've still got the feeling one or two are slightly more popular. ;)  Let's see if I'm correct or not. But I don't want to make this a "which formation is best" (that would be a very subjective question anyway, formations are only one setting and can play dramatically different under all other settings), just wondering which do people prefer - and people's preferences are personal rather than merely "what works best" anyway. I suspect as a board with lots of British people, a lot of people still stick to good old 4-4-2 for tradition and simplicity's sake!

This is for FM17, if you are playing another version of the game please do not vote, or choose the final option of the poll, although you are more than welcome to contribute. Thank you!

Personally I've started with a counter-attacking 4-1-4-1, then went 3-5-2 which was occasionally a 3-6-1, started over again from scratch with a lopsided 4-4-2 with a single winger which I quickly dismissed as way, way too unstable defensively, morphed it into an assymetrical possession 4-1-4-1 / 4-3-3 wide with a AML and a MR, and have been playing that lately (with mixed success - I've gotten an amazing run out of it, and an amazingly poor run too!). Regardless of FM version, I prefer variations of 4-3-3 wide and 4-2-3-1 wide the most (I've got a preference for possession football and lone strikers), but vary a lot depending on the characteristics of my squad, and how the development of my tactics goes when I react to what happens on the pitch.

I've always been a massive fan of the wingback system (3232, 3*DCs, 2*WBs, 3*MCs & 2*STs) and had it working really well in FM15 but, although trying to fit it in as an alternative style, I've struggled to make it work with my current team.

442 was always a go to option while my third option was a 41221 (DM, MC, MC, AML, AMR, ST).

In 2020 with the same club since the start I've found myself using 4411 mostly this season.  Mainly due to having an abundance of attacking midfielders and a lack of quality strikers with 41221 as my alternative.  I did have 442 as my 3rd option but I want to try the wingbacks again next season.

442 for life..  traditional flat 442 with wingers, playmaker and BWM combo.  That's my go-to home tactic, but I also love the 41221 this year, it's so wonderfully balanced and solid, yet capable of playing fluid attacking football with the right philosophy.

Just 16 votes so far but early results are not what I expected at all. I did think a lot of people were playing variations of 4-1-2-2-1 and 4-1-4-1, but I was expecting a lot of votes for 3-5-2s and narrow 4-4-2 diamonds and not a single one yet!

12 minutes ago, puffascruffowitz said:

Speaking of strikerless formations I came up against an AI strikerless formation the other day! I was shocked and very pleased to see an AI manager trying such an unusual tactic. I forget now, I think it was a 4-2-4 with no striker, I have a screenshot on my home computer.

Roma is probably the team you are talking about. They will always change to a 4-2-4-0 when they are chasing the game.

1 hour ago, vasilli07 said:

Roma is probably the team you are talking about. They will always change to a 4-2-4-0 when they are chasing the game.

You're dead right. I remember now it was a friendly against them, but I seem to remember them starting out with the 4-2-4-0 which I was delighted with

Been playing the 4-2-3-1 Wide.........since most clubs have the appropriate players on hand.  Still tweaking mine, shipping a lot of goals. From over the top balls even with deeper Defense line......

In prior FM's I played 4-3-3 Narrow, 4-1-3-2 (Narrow +Wide), 4-4-2

FM17 Clubs:  Reggiana, Palermo, and Hertha Berlin

10 hours ago, noikeee said:

Surely that qualifies as a 3-6-1 variant?

Some would call it a 541, others a 361, still others a 3421.

Then watching it in practice, it might earn another description entirely!

As it is set up on the tactics page, it is a 32221 to me, for simplicity, players per strata.

I'm still on my beta save with Salford, and I've had the same formation since day 1. All I've changed are the ti/pi's and the roles.

I play a 4-3-1-2

A flat back four in defence, a three man midfield with a DLP(d) in the middle flanked by a BWM and a BBM

A shadow striker (or sometimes an AP(a) depending who's fit) just behind the front two

A Target Man(s) and a poacher (or sometimes an AF(a)) up top.

Seems to work quite well. Just ready to start season 2021-22 in League 1

2-3-2-2-1, structured, control, that has delivered back to back Premier League wins, 74 goals scored in season, 33 conceded and 58% average possession. Evolved from trying to develop 3-4-3.

F9

AP(A)           IF(A)

CM(D) B2B

WB(A) Rsta. WB(A)

DC(D) DC(D)

Gk

The same formation I have been using for the last few FM's, 4-1-3-2. The full backs are CWBs, BWM in front of the CBs, supportive Centre-Mids either side of an advanced playmaker, and the strikers are a False-9 and an Advanced forward. Control and very fluid, switch to Counter if i'm under pressure. Always seems to work a treat once the players get used to it.

8 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm still on my beta save with Salford, and I've had the same formation since day 1. All I've changed are the ti/pi's and the roles.

I play a 4-3-1-2

A flat back four in defence, a three man midfield with a DLP(d) in the middle flanked by a BWM and a BBM

Question on that - does it seem to matter much which side the BWM is on compared to the BBM?  Is it more about their relationship to the Amid and the strikers? Do you want the BWM on the same side as the Poacher, for instance? Or is it all interchangeable when it comes to the attack?

9 hours ago, mhaffy said:

2-3-2-2-1, structured, control, that has delivered back to back Premier League wins, 74 goals scored in season, 33 conceded and 58% average possession. Evolved from trying to develop 3-4-3.

F9

AP(A)           IF(A)

CM(D) B2B

WB(A) Rsta. WB(A)

DC(D) DC(D)

Gk

Interesting. So do you play Control every match, all through the match/

32 minutes ago, IndyManager said:

Interesting. So do you play Control every match, all through the match/

Yes, control every match...although I am, as always, playing as Chelsea. See Chelsea thread in Good Player and Team forum where I have posted details on my save including tactic details etc.

When trying to close games out I sometimes change Regista to DM(D) or Anchor and sometimes move wingbacks back to full back position, but still as WB(A).

1) 4-2-3-1 with three AMs.

2) 4-2-2-2 with 2 MCs, AML, AMR and two SCs.

3) 4-2-3-1 with two DMCs and three AMs.

That's basically all I use. #2 is when I clearly expect to win, and #3 is when I clearly expect to struggle.

4122(wide)1 - I hate it, but it works. 

I've played with a 432(wide)1 for years now and I get bored scouting the same types of player, and I'd like to have 2 strikers again.

I then tried a narrow 4312 in a new save, but the 4122(wide)1 sicks me back in. 

I only have myself to blame :( 

Started off with 4-4-2 and failed to make it work (again).  So, landed on a bit of a weird one (for me anyhow).

...........................GK (D) ...........................

.........CD(D)........CD(D).........CD(D)..........

WB(A)................................................WB(A)

.................DLP(D)............CM(S)...............

.................AM(S)..............EG(A)...............

............................AF(A).............................

Seems to be working thus far with Stoke.  Joe Allen as the DLP, Samba Sow as the CM. Shaqiri is the EG and scoring loads!  Arnautovic is the AM. Diouf up front.  Stuck four past Arsenal at home!

I chose 4-1-2-2-1/4-3-3 wide because that is generally my preferred formation but this year i've had a save where i'm yet to spend 3 years at a club. At my first club (Newport County) i used 4-1-4-1 to get out of league 2 with deadly counter attacking. Struggled with that in league 1 so went with a 3-5-2 (with 3-2-2-2-1 as back up for harder games) and again that got me out of league 1. Kept that formation for the next season where i left the club just outside the relegation zone, to join Everton who were in the championship playoffs position (With a very strong squad i may add). Kept the same formation and won the Championship but then after struggling to begin with in the premier league, switched formation to 4-2-3-1. Finished mid table with that the first season then the next season with a few signings i won the league (which to add was a major fluke. All of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, and Man City sacked their managers due to their struggles). Knowing it was a fluke, i agreed to join Man City at the end of Everton's season with my first game in charge being the champions league final (which we won). Now is where i am finally getting the opportunity to use my preferred formation and playing some superb football. Walking the league, won the league cup, and in FA Cup final

Archived