What do you do to keep it real and fresh!!!

Hey, 

I guess, I was wondering what other tips and thoughts people have for keeping the game real and fresh.

I find a save can go from great to game over in a very short space of time if for example I get a little too carried away in the transfer market or go on a regen hunt through Africa.

I'm just about to start a new save, this time RB Leipzig. I was thinking of doing some of the following - 

• Having the DOF find and make offers for players for the future. ( I will not intervene in this)
  • Having the DOF find and make offers for first team players. (I can intervene in this)
  • Limit myself to "x" number of new signings per season. Finding and signing players is one of the best aspects of the game, unfortunately for me it's the one that ultimately kills a save.
  • Limit First Team squad size to 22 ish....not fully decided.
  • Set a target of winning the Bundesliga with a squad made up of at least 70% Trained at Club players.

These are my initial thoughts, ideas welcome please.

Cheers.

In each transfer window I evaluate my squad and write a note about which positions I want to improve and try to stay within those limits. I nowadays play quite slowly, rarely going through a transfer window in one night, so it helps me to remember my initial plans.

1 hour ago, RoPS83 said:

In each transfer window I evaluate my squad and write a note about which positions I want to improve and try to stay within those limits. I nowadays play quite slowly, rarely going through a transfer window in one night, so it helps me to remember my initial plans.

It's a good point and I was thinking about it earlier. It's so easy to get dragged in to it but I think you are right, less is more, slow it right down. I do make notes but it's easy to forget what your original intentions where sometimes.  

1 hour ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I utilise my youth academy all the time. So transfers are a rarity for me. 

I think that's how it should be, sometimes you start a game and before you know it you've switched out 20 players........never going to happen no matter how poor the team is at the start. The more self discipline you can apply to a save the better it will be, I have no issue accepting bad results or injuries so the same needs to be applied to transfers.

I've been playing the game for over 20 years now and despite the annual upgrades from SI, I'm sure I would have become terminally bored and quit long ago if it weren't for two factors.

One is the ever-brilliant and ever improving work of the fan community in making mods and add-ons such as skins, graphics and extra leagues. The other, which is connected to the mods, is that I keep things fresh by customising my career to make it personal.

What I've done this is:

1. Take the 22-level English league file and customise it by swapping loads of clubs. My Premier League consists of the top 20 clubs in Europe; Bayern Munich are the current champions, Barcelona are leading the league at the moment. Arsenal have been double-champions. Further down are more European clubs which I personally like, other UK clubs and selections from nations such as Ireland, Scandinavia, India, Nepal, Trinidad, Cambodia - many clubs are in purely due to their cool names such as 'House of Dread' and 'Waterford Crystal'. 

2. Way down at the lowest amateur levels I'll make up clubs that I can relate to - being from the Scottish Highlands I have added a league of islands such as Isle of Jura, Iona etc.

3. Then I create my own fictional bespoke club - Skye Thistle. I give them a backstory thus making FM into almost an RPG that means everything to me and nothing to anyone else. My wife is the chairman, I'm 'Andy McHopeless', a manager with CA1 and 1s in every attribute. I raid the database to create an all-female backroom (all young, with room to grow). My facilities are all 1s, club rep 1 and I create a squad of 22 15-year olds all with CA1. The only exception is to bring in some old warhorses with high Determination as tutors who will be non-playing back-ups.

4. In previous years I've always started at the lowest possible level - 22 or 23 recently, but this year I figured I've built up the experience to cope with starting higher up at level 12 (with my U18 squad competing at level 22). My policy is to create fierce loyalty within the club and never go outside .  My staff and players will stay with us throughout their careers as far as possible, and all new blood will be recruited from within. All new players come through my academy; new staff come from semi-retired/retired tutors.

5. As a result of this way of playing the game many features are completely closed off to me - scouting and the transfer market as well and loans in or out are never used, and I've never made it to the point of becoming a professional club playing in the league, so high-quality opposition, big, full stadiums, European football, internationals (beyond the occasional Scottish U19s call-up) - all of that are way over the horizon. Once - only once in over ten years playing this way have I ever made it as high as League Two and I had to quit in the pre-season due to real-world work commitments. This year starting as high as level 12 might break the mould, again it depends on my work commitments as well as whether I reach a glass ceiling where training facility, junior coaching and coaching upgrades can't keep up with the standard of the opposition.

6. But the rewards for me are massive and keep me immersed. Every season I'm playing against teams with which I have some emotional commitment, and by nurturing players and staff over many years I develop real bonds with them (note I make player/staff photos for all of them too).  

It's my fantasy world; I don't claim to keep it 'real', but boy do I keep it fresh! :)

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've been playing the game for over 20 years now and despite the annual upgrades from SI, I'm sure I would have become terminally bored and quit long ago if it weren't for two factors.

One is the ever-brilliant and ever improving work of the fan community in making mods and add-ons such as skins, graphics and extra leagues. The other, which is connected to the mods, is that I keep things fresh by customising my career to make it personal.

What I've done this is:

1. Take the 22-level English league file and customise it by swapping loads of clubs. My Premier League consists of the top 20 clubs in Europe; Bayern Munich are the current champions, Barcelona are leading the league at the moment. Arsenal have been double-champions. Further down are more European clubs which I personally like, other UK clubs and selections from nations such as Ireland, Scandinavia, India, Nepal, Trinidad, Cambodia - many clubs are in purely due to their cool names such as 'House of Dread' and 'Waterford Crystal'. 

2. Way down at the lowest amateur levels I'll make up clubs that I can relate to - being from the Scottish Highlands I have added a league of islands such as Isle of Jura, Iona etc.

3. Then I create my own fictional bespoke club - Skye Thistle. I give them a backstory thus making FM into almost an RPG that means everything to me and nothing to anyone else. My wife is the chairman, I'm 'Andy McHopeless', a manager with CA1 and 1s in every attribute. I raid the database to create an all-female backroom (all young, with room to grow). My facilities are all 1s, club rep 1 and I create a squad of 22 15-year olds all with CA1. The only exception is to bring in some old warhorses with high Determination as tutors who will be non-playing back-ups.

4. In previous years I've always started at the lowest possible level - 22 or 23 recently, but this year I figured I've built up the experience to cope with starting higher up at level 12 (with my U18 squad competing at level 22). My policy is to create fierce loyalty within the club and never go outside .  My staff and players will stay with us throughout their careers as far as possible, and all new blood will be recruited from within. All new players come through my academy; new staff come from semi-retired/retired tutors.

5. As a result of this way of playing the game many features are completely closed off to me - scouting and the transfer market as well and loans in or out are never used, and I've never made it to the point of becoming a professional club playing in the league, so high-quality opposition, big, full stadiums, European football, internationals (beyond the occasional Scottish U19s call-up) - all of that are way over the horizon. Once - only once in over ten years playing this way have I ever made it as high as League Two and I had to quit in the pre-season due to real-world work commitments. This year starting as high as level 12 might break the mould, again it depends on my work commitments as well as whether I reach a glass ceiling where training facility, junior coaching and coaching upgrades can't keep up with the standard of the opposition.

6. But the rewards for me are massive and keep me immersed. Every season I'm playing against teams with which I have some emotional commitment, and by nurturing players and staff over many years I develop real bonds with them (note I make player/staff photos for all of them too).  

It's my fantasy world; I don't claim to keep it 'real', but boy do I keep it fresh! :)

Haha, that's some effort, I applaud you for that. I have also been playing from the beginning, I must be one of the handful that bought the mail order version of Championship Manager Italia in 93 I think it was.....

You are so right about all the community mods and add-ons, without those the game in itself would probably not be enough for me to stay interested, as it is I buy it every year play if for a couple of months, maybe one or two saves then ditch it so I start to become interested again by the time the new version comes out. I'm all about realism so your particular method probably wouldn't work for me but I can definitely see how it keeps it fresh!!

Thanks for the reply.

Don't use the player search screen. You can only sign players your scouts have recommended or you have found because they are mentioned somewhere (e.g. best goalscorer in the league) or you found them while browsing through clubs.

51 minutes ago, Koki said:

Don't use the player search screen. You can only sign players your scouts have recommended or you have found because they are mentioned somewhere (e.g. best goalscorer in the league) or you found them while browsing through clubs.

Agree, another example of applying some self discipline.

7 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

What I've done this is:

Couldn't think of nothing worse...however fair play to you and each to their own I suppose :) 

For me realism is what keeps me immersed in the game.

Archived