Moneybags Ajax... what now?

eple

I set out to manage Ajax again.

On FM16 time I went with all Dutch players, but it felt forced and a bit unrealistic when I was rejecting bids of £30m-50m for players, just because there were no better Dutch alternatives. I lost interest quite quickly.

So this time I set out to mainly focus on youth academy players, but allow myself to buy youngsters, bargains and tutors from other countries that felt realistic for Ajax. And most importantly, that I would sell players when a good offer came in. Basically be a stepping stone club and allow players the chance to take the next step in their career when it is time to do so.

I'm now August of 2018, so not far in at all. The club invested £80m in expanding the stadium and improving facilities in the first season. The end of the 2nd season the board took out £21m in dividends and the club has to pay £30m tax on the profit made. Despite all of that the bank balance is at £183m and in addition the club is owed £162m in transfer installment fees. (I purposely ask for monthly fees to avoid dividends pay out and tax hits)

I have sold Riedewald, Klassen, Bazoer, Younes, Ziyech, Veltman, El Gahzi, Dolber, de Ligt, Onana, Gudelj and signings Belotti, Schaub and Pavon has also moved on... for a total income of £387.5m... in 20 months! Clubs are circling other players and it's likely Cerny, Tete, Zivkovich, Nouri and signing Lemos will be the next in line to leave and will probably command fees of over £150m total.

I'm spending £500k in wages but have a £2m wage budget and £107m transfer budget. I guess the question is... what's the point in having all this money? Should I change my approach and try to keep hold up players despite big offers? I just sold my best players in Belotti and Pavon... but I got offers of £54m and £57m with +30% of profit from next sales. Can I really say no to that?

If your main focus is in creating a squad of home-grown players then I'd say ignore the money otherwise you risk it becoming your new main focus & impacting on how much you're enjoying the save, that said it does suggest that there is an issue with the east at which you can generate very large transfer fees while managing in a a 2nd tier league (continental perspective) & it might be worth raising a selection of the deals in the bugs forum.

4 hours ago, Barside said:

If your main focus is in creating a squad of home-grown players then I'd say ignore the money otherwise you risk it becoming your new main focus & impacting on how much you're enjoying the save, that said it does suggest that there is an issue with the east at which you can generate very large transfer fees while managing in a a 2nd tier league (continental perspective) & it might be worth raising a selection of the deals in the bugs forum.

I've enjoyed it a lot so far, but now I'm losing interest a bit.. The challenge left I guess is to be competitive in Europe while still letting go of the biggest stars. Maintaining a core of youth academy players with a decent bunch of senior players for tutoring would be good. Maybe be a little bit manipulative and keep hold of the players that do well but don't have the high potential to attract the big clubs.

You have a point... I think maybe club reputation is involved. Player values had risen a lot by the time January window came along in the 2nd season. I was in CL, but never made it past the quarter finals.. Still, I was able to sell Klassen and Riedewald in the first season for £30m each.

I did an Ajax save on the Beta .. hated it ... every player seems to be in high demand... constantly having to sell because if you reject they go on request and squad morale is horrible. If you sell... you can't really interest better than them .. so it does become a cycle of recycling players... get cheap bargain then they move on... promote a kid then they get snapped up...

where do you see your save in 10 years... do you want a few billion in the bank... or do you want a core of players that have played 10+ seasons winning multiple medals.

One player games are very hard to set targets ... one of mine is always to sign an u18 striker... and that player to break the club goalscoring record.

Yeah I had the same problem on FM16, sold players because a) they were unhappy or b) the offer was too good too refuse. Wasn't able to

buy better players and ended up having a weaker squad the following season. But I had 100M+ at the bank.

Better keep hold of your best players, win and gain better reputation. The only way a team like Ajax can have top players is by developing them.

But easier said than done when you have 10 unhappy players or so...

On 19.12.2016 at 11:39, westy8chimp said:

where do you see your save in 10 years... do you want a few billion in the bank... or do you want a core of players that have played 10+ seasons winning multiple medals.

Yeah, that's where I'm at now.. Definitely the latter. But at the same time holding on to players against their will is hard. Started my 3rd season and the squad is much weaker now, with £200m in the bank and £150m+ in installments incoming. I think like @JWVGsuggest that with a bit of grind I can make it so that the club is so rich and well-regarded that I can break this cycle, so I think that will be my goal.

Ajax is a team set up for bringing youth in, developing and selling on...

You are doing that while also buying in the top talents in the game, i'm not surprised it's getting boring... 

Maybe retire from Ajax and go to a competitor to try and out Ajax, Ajax

Your aim could be to be the top producer of "club-grown" players in Europe. Only a small trophy but that yearly news item really spurs me on when I'm in a situation like you. Invest all the money in infrastructure, staff, new prospects. Make Jong Ajax win the second division.

Well done :)

It all depends on what you are after. If it makes you happy to develop players and sell them on for big money, then that's fine and you may not need to change anything.
I suspect that you are also winning matches, so probably the only real sporting challenge for Ajax is in Europe and for that you will likely need to keep your players around for a bit longer before you sell (and mind, rejecting a 50m offer does not mean that there won't be another offer next year). Once you did that too then I'm afraid you have achieved all you can - then you should be happy to conform and repeat that success or move on to a new challenge.

Archived