Sports Interactive Community
Batuhan

4-1-4-1 Forwards Issue

Hello everyone.

I am using a 4-1-4-1 formation for my team. However, it seems like I am having trouble with my forwards.

I used Andy Carroll as a Target Man before switching to 4-1-4-1, and he was doing pretty well. Since I switched to this formation, he became inconsistent as a Target Man (I expected this. I knew False Nine, Defensive Forward or Deep Lying would work in my formation.) So I switched him to a Defensive Forward, and nothing changes. I have another forward for rotation, he is playing as a False Nine but he is inconsistent too. And my young forward, he is playing as a Defensive Forward, he is not playing well too!

I win most of my matches, unbeaten runs, league champions etc. but my forwards get low ratings in 90% percent of matches, and I get 0-0 draws occasionally because of my forwards' bad performances. I can't find a way to make my forwards work!

My formation, team instructions etc. is below. Any help is appreciated guys!

Formation and instructions: http://imgur.com/a/lJRhW

Rotation forward: http://imgur.com/a/FhwpM

Hi there, this might help, https://cdeekyfm.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/utilising-the-mobile-targetman-2/ its old but I find it still works for a lone striker, I would also change one of your wide players to support and change your BBM to a CM(A) to give your striker more support as he looks a bit isolated in your current set-up.

5 hours ago, shakey.bridge said:

Hi there, this might help, https://cdeekyfm.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/utilising-the-mobile-targetman-2/ its old but I find it still works for a lone striker, I would also change one of your wide players to support and change your BBM to a CM(A) to give your striker more support as he looks a bit isolated in your current set-up.

"Mobile Target Man" is an interesting idea. I think this role will perfectly fit Andy Carroll (he is mentioned in that article too), and also Luiz Adriano who is my third forward.

I played two matches with these instructions. He scored one goal and played decent in one of them. I will play more matches, and post detailed updates about the situation. 

As for your suggestion about box to box midfielder, I feel this role is doing well in my tactics. The role has "Get further forward" PI, and scoring goals occasionally. I occasionally switch it to CM(S) according to the player playing there.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by Batuhan
spelling

Had a similar problem in Sigma Olomouc. Always having a hard time in setting a more offensive 4-1-4-1, which already provides a very solid defensive shape.

The solution I found was to establish a 4-1-4-1-0, with the most advanced player in the AM strata as a Trequartista.

If you pick a centre forward with good movement and strong space-reading skills, you'll notice the mess he can make when dealing with the opposition defence, constantly dragging the defenders out of position, as well as making runs in the space they leave behind. It's almost magic.

To make it even more efficient, make sure you set 3 players out of your first bank-of-four with attacking duties. I personaly used the following structure:

[T-A]

[WM-A] [CM-S] [CM-A] [W-A]

This makes sure at least one midfielder will exploit the gaps left in defence by the Trequartista's movement. One attacking full-back is also a good choice.

My point is: 4-1-4-1 is a pretty stiff formation. Personaly, I don't agree with the idea that formations are neutral, as I've read around here before. Since its natural defensive efficiency, my experience has shown me I was entlitled to release the players a bit in order to achieve better build-up play.

Saudações alvinegras