How to Score Against 10-Men Team?

In many matches, the other team gets a red card, and I try to take advantage of the situation. However, I rarely get anything out it, rarely score a goal. 

Any tips to my Instructions, Touchline Pep Talks, Strategy that can help me to score against a ten-men opponent? Thanks.

Good advice here from one of the Tactics forum Mods: ( herne79)

Rather than focussing on the opposition being a man short and trying to exploit gaps you may think are there, consider how the opposition plays.

In all likelihood, they don't just change formation - they'll change mentality as well to Counter or even Defensive. So they'll be sitting back, sucking you in, and waiting to hit you with a counter attack. So if you go more attacking, you could actually be falling into their new counter attacking trap.

With a team who plays like this, I usually try to add extra creativity to my team - by changing Team Shape or one or two individual roles. Alternatively, others have success by switching to a more defensive mentality themselves to try to draw out the opposition.

Not sure why you feel like you have a massive advantage tbh.

Teams with 11 men tend to defend with 9/10.  Teams with 10 men still defend with 9/10.

Having a man sent off is a disadvantage for your attack but generally makes very little difference to the way you defend.

How you approach them is the same, stretch the defence, drag it out of shape, create space and put the chances away.

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

Good advice here from one of the Tactics forum Mods: ( herne79)

Rather than focussing on the opposition being a man short and trying to exploit gaps you may think are there, consider how the opposition plays.

In all likelihood, they don't just change formation - they'll change mentality as well to Counter or even Defensive. So they'll be sitting back, sucking you in, and waiting to hit you with a counter attack. So if you go more attacking, you could actually be falling into their new counter attacking trap.

With a team who plays like this, I usually try to add extra creativity to my team - by changing Team Shape or one or two individual roles. Alternatively, others have success by switching to a more defensive mentality themselves to try to draw out the opposition.

this was good advice until the update :p I think they have now tweaked AI behaviour post red card ... i.e. they do change shape/mentality.

2nd to last post in this thread im going to shamelessly tout my own advice.. it works for me... I accept criticism of it

My desperation tactic for breaking down a 'contain->defend' opponent is particularly good when oppo is down to 10 men and it's still level or im behind. If winning at time of red... don't be greedy and think you can go beat them 5-0 ... go to counter... keep what you have

attached is the more dramatic approach.

oppo red.PNG

@phd_angel: There is some good advice presented above. Also, keep this in mind: in football, it is actually quite surprising to note how rarely one-man advantage means anything. Sure, the team that is a man down will rarely win, but they don't often concede, either. I find this quite fascinating.

Archived