Sports Interactive Community

I've seen quite a few conflicting arguments on this point. Are you better to loan out all your youth prospects to lower league clubs for first team experience, or keep them all in the youth team/ reserves to play together with the good training facilities and also have access to mentoring/individual training etc?

i see the argument for both points but personally think keeping them at the club would be better. Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I did this as I don't want to screw up their development. 

Playing first team football at a lower level helps, up to a point.
Having better training facilities also helps, up to a point. 

Basically there are merits to both approaches, season long loans at lower levels probably are not the best way however. Everyone has their own methods, probably with varying degrees of success. I actually prefer to immediately bring anyone with potential into the first team, and use them when I can. This is because you hit the glass ceiling of both lower league football and just the merit of training facilities quite quickly in my experience. 

Historically I have always just loaned everyone and never bothered much but I've had a 16 year old this year with 5 star potential who I brought straight into the first team. With a bit of first team football and individual training he's developed faster than any other youth prospect I've ever had which has made me rethink my approach. I agree it's probably best to mix the 2

Back in the day I thought sending players out loan was best because competitive first team football but now I think it's better to have them train in the first team whilst making them available for u23's/u18's and playing them in cup games and the odd prem games until they're ready for first team football

I find that if you manage a big club with a strong reserve/youth squad, good coaches and facilities, it is usually better to keep them because a.) if you set your coaches right they will use your tactics and the players will develop and train according to your tactical needs.  And b.) if they keep winning, their morale will stay high and their stats will develop quicker than if they were loaned to a struggling club and they keep losing and he plays poorly.  I only ever loan them out if I know they will succeed, and there isn't too much competition for his position.  I always get my staff to compile match reports for the best talents so I can watch them grow and decide if they can challenge for a first team spot.

So in my experience, they develop just fine playing in youth and reserve leagues as long as they are performing well, at least in big clubs.  If I were you, I'd keep the 16 year old in the youth team, that way the reserves can also call him up.  Bring him into the first team for an easy game in which he will do well.

If I'm a premier league team I usually loan a player out for 6 months. Rest of the season I try to give him as much playing time as possible and tutor him..!

My last save I was a Swedish first league team with ok facilities. Had a decent youngster that didn't fit my tactics so I loaned him out to a Belgian team, (Genk I believe).. After a while he got some matches and suddenly he developed to a beast! Sold him after the season when he created a fuss for aroun 10m euro!! Valued around 1m...

3.5 star  or higher potential - If you send them out on loan, you can't guarantee that they are going to get first team football. Unless for some reason you have cosniderably weaker training facilities than the teams looking to loan, they are probably better off staying at the club. My personal preference is at the start of the season I look in my youth squads and look at who's got that top potential, and bring them in to the first team squad as a back up option. This gives them access to better training, and first team action, without tiring them out too much, giving them time to really work on developing their attributes. Also, if you're a club with continential aspirations, keeping the best guys who are going to play a part in the first team in a few years till they are homegrown at the club will always be beneficial. 

2.5 to 3.5 stars potential - I'd send them out on loan till their CA improves to a reasonable level and then sell them on, hopefully for a decent amount. If you find a guy who's going really well, you've also got the option of bringing them in to your first team squad.

Less than 2.5 stars potential - Not really worth the time as the sale value in a couple of years is unlikely to be anything special

It should be noted that I like to play with an experienced first XI and have a backup XI of repalceable guys then over the seasons blood in youngsters who develop and replace the more experienced guys.

On 12/12/2016 at 04:59, warbi2601 said:

I've seen quite a few conflicting arguments on this point. Are you better to loan out all your youth prospects to lower league clubs for first team experience, or keep them all in the youth team/ reserves to play together with the good training facilities and also have access to mentoring/individual training etc?

i see the argument for both points but personally think keeping them at the club would be better. Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I did this as I don't want to screw up their development. 

It's dependent on a lot of things to be honest.  Sending a player out on loan to a club even if you don't think he'll play can be the right decision if that club's coaching is way better than yours.  Keeping a player even if he won't play much and your coaching isn't great might also be the right decision if you want to have him learn a particular PPM or position.

5 minutes ago, eriktous said:

Here's one more thing to consider when loaning out young players:

INTER Under 20s_ Squad Players.jpg

To be fair, looking at the size of the scrollbar there looks to be 4-5 times as many players in that U20 squad who aren't injured. 

It's always worth being mindful of how the team you're loaning a player to might be playing, if you really want to get into the specifics, but in this case, I'd say 1 in every 5 or 6 players being injured isn't too terrible a situation. In an average squad of 25, that is like 4 or 5 injuries. Probably highlights the need for a recall clause more than anything, over-working youngsters can be an issue just as a lack of playing time can be.

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

To be fair, looking at the size of the scrollbar there looks to be 4-5 times as many players in that U20 squad who aren't injured.

Haha, sharp!

Have to say I was a bit shocked when I first noticed inter have about 160 players under contract. I don't often play in the bigger leagues, so it may well be perfectly normal, but for me it isn't. Luckily I started the save in late pre-season, so those loans had already been arranged, and I didn't have to bother with it.

On 12/13/2016 at 23:59, thomas166 said:

3.5 star  or higher potential - If you send them out on loan, you can't guarantee that they are going to get first team football. Unless for some reason you have cosniderably weaker training facilities than the teams looking to loan, they are probably better off staying at the club. My personal preference is at the start of the season I look in my youth squads and look at who's got that top potential, and bring them in to the first team squad as a back up option. This gives them access to better training, and first team action, without tiring them out too much, giving them time to really work on developing their attributes. Also, if you're a club with continential aspirations, keeping the best guys who are going to play a part in the first team in a few years till they are homegrown at the club will always be beneficial. 

2.5 to 3.5 stars potential - I'd send them out on loan till their CA improves to a reasonable level and then sell them on, hopefully for a decent amount. If you find a guy who's going really well, you've also got the option of bringing them in to your first team squad.

Less than 2.5 stars potential - Not really worth the time as the sale value in a couple of years is unlikely to be anything special

It should be noted that I like to play with an experienced first XI and have a backup XI of repalceable guys then over the seasons blood in youngsters who develop and replace the more experienced guys.

That is debatable because the STARS are normally based on your best players potential and potential as an average. So if the average potential at your club is 190 then players with 170 will be considered 2 or 3 star.

On 17/12/2016 at 17:40, craigd84 said:

That is debatable because the STARS are normally based on your best players potential and potential as an average. So if the average potential at your club is 190 then players with 170 will be considered 2 or 3 star.

That is very true, although I usually find when the potential of my main players has reached such a high standard that it can become increasingly difficult to find a 4 star potential player who doesnt have something I would consider as a negative attribute such as injury proneness or a competitive streak and in that instance I would start to veer away from such a highly youth focused setup. The underlying focus behind the way I develop the youth players is to bring them a series of homegrown at club talents into the starting XI, so once I get to the point where the options for players to bring through are drying up, I have pretty much completed my overall objective.

The resale value of the lower potential players can be raised through loaning them out to a team where theyre going to be performing well individually and as a team, which if you want to take the time to assess the options available for loaning your players is a perfectly viable option  to garner more funds. Also, when you are at a top top club, these players will serve as more than adequate backup to the starting XI.

When it comes down to it, youth development is something that has to be one of your personal overall aims for the save; do you want to be the club thats bringing in two or three youngsters a year or one that has lots of youth prospects loaned out or somewhere in between. Once you decide that, you can then make a more informed decision about what kind of youth development plan would work best for you.

I've found that nothing beats 1st team football to improve a youngster. Any highly talented youngster gets brought in to the 1st team and any I am not sure about I send out on loan. This is mainly because I am playing as Leeds with a limited wage budget and so getting people of the wage bill is a must.

I always keep young players for the specific training. If i could control the individual training other clubs were setting for my players, then i would send them but i like to mold players to how i want them to be or to strengthen some specific attributes. I don't think i would ever send a hot prospect to any division lower than the championship (even then the club must have good facilities). I simply don't trust AI development of youngsters and even just a few seasons into my save, i've seen very high potential players, who wont be sold, wasting away on loan to lower league clubs and given no chance of reaching their potential