Sports Interactive Community

Selling players you don't need: is this realistic?

I would like to hear people's opinions on the general issue of selling players you don't need. Obviously, there will be situations that won't go your way, but it seems to me, with a long history with the game (starting with CM4), that some things are patently unrealistic. The last version I played before this one was FM 2014, and when managing Liverpool, I was never able to sell Joe Allen. Even if I set the asking price at 1K (that's 1K, not 1M) and offered him around. Nobody wanted him. So I had to keep him until his contract ran out. Nobody was happy.

I'm managing Liverpool again, and after I found a new goalkeeper, I realized I had to get rid of Karius or Mignolet. But nobody wants them. Now, I'm prepared to agree that they're not exactly the best around, but surely somebody somewhere should be interested? Especially if I wanted practically nothing, like 10K, for them? But no.

To me, this is simply stunning, and I feel that it has to be some kind of fault in the transfer system.

Oh, by the way, I'm pretty sure that the number of active leagues has something to do with this. So, my game has 16 active leagues from 10 countries.

Sometimes, when I want to get rid of players, I get an awful lot of offers from inactive leagues, like Turkey and Cyprus, but then there are these players that you just cannot sell.

Edited by Guest

FM isn't RL, it uses coding and there are going to be times when that coding is limiting.

You've already identified the first problem - Active leagues or rather loading too many players for the number of teams in the database.  Too many players means the market is flooded and it will be difficult to sell players as teams have many other options.  Too few and prices are pushed up, its simple supply & demand.

Presuming you've balanced the bit above you then move on to understanding other things that cause players to get "stuck" at a club.

The first thing to understand is that money isn't the primary concern.  For a club to make a bid they need to:

A) Have a need for a player in that position with that level of ability &

B) Believe that the player wants to join them.

If a player fails A or B then they won't be shortlisted by the AI clubs and you won't receive any offers.  If the wages of the player are too high he won't make the shortlist, if his reputation is too high or too low he won't make the shortlist etc.

The bottom line in your example is you have two GKs playing in one of the top rep leagues in the world at one of the top clubs.  They aren't prepared to give that up to move down and AI clubs recognise that and therefore won't bid.

Well obviously it's SI's job to get it as lifelike as possible. S&D aside, if 2 premiership players were available for 10k, transfer listed (I assume), then they'd be snapped up pretty quickly.

@Cougar2010: That looks like a good analysis, thank you.

How would you explain the fact that there is great loan interest in Mignolet and it is possible to loan him out for a full season, with the loaning club paying all his wages? Even if I set the asking price at 0, these same clubs won't come for him. But they are prepared to pay all his wages, one season at a time.

2 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@Cougar2010: That looks like a good analysis, thank you.

How would you explain the fact that there is great loan interest in Mignolet and it is possible to loan him out for a full season, with the loaning club paying all his wages? Even if I set the asking price at 0, these same clubs won't come for him. But they are prepared to pay all his wages, one season at a time.

You could add it to the bugs forum for SI to review but a possibility could be:

Buying a player involves other fees like agent fees, loyalty fees etc all of which come out of a clubs transfer budget.  It could be as simple as the club making the offer not having enough transfer budget to cover them.  Loaning the player doesn't involve the same fees and could fall within a financial structure that is acceptable to the AI club.

Yeah, I agree that that's an explanation.

However, it does look strange that when you make a loan offer, a number of clubs take it up instantly. But when you make a transfer offer for 0K.... there's nothing.

Edited by Guest

Transfers are never for nothing at higher levels.

Just touching on mart's view above users say if high rep players were offered out for low sums they would be snapped up but in the real world that never, ever happens so the issue is not that you don't get offers but that you are allowed to do it in the first place.

Pretty sure we've had a couple of long discussions on the forum over the last year or so on the subject & my take is always that the user should be blocked from doing that by the board.  The way for SI to improve it would be to automate the selling more and its already started to go that way.  You can have a DOF or even a board member in charge of the selling once you've transfer listed a player but I feel there is still room for agents to play a role as well.

In FM it's a thing that you can't sell a player immediately after having joined the club (Karius). You usually have to wait until the next transfer window.

Something about a player not being able to be registered for three clubs in the same year. Also, it prevents exploits. I remember years ago you could sign all the decent end of contract players for free and then sell them the day after they joined.

Are bids coming in for the players or the player himself rejecting a move.

If you look in real life it's hard for English clubs to get players off their books as players wages are insane in England and unless it's clubs like Barca/Madrid or Chinese league players won't leave as the other clubs can't match the high wage demands and players won't take pay cuts. Instead clubs have to loan them hoping they'll move that way.

44 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Well obviously it's SI's job to get it as lifelike as possible. S&D aside, if 2 premiership players were available for 10k, transfer listed (I assume), then they'd be snapped up pretty quickly.

There are too many factors involved to be able to say that. Now I will be using spoilers for this so if you don't want to see some digging into CA values of players then don't open the spoilers!

So going by the example of the OP needing to sell either Mignolet or Karius.

Mignolet is on £55k p/w and Karius is on £60k p/w.

They have a CA of:

Spoiler

Mignolet - 143

Karius - 143

Now the following clubs have goalkeepers who are already better than both of those two:

Spoiler

Man Utd

Arsenal

Tottenham

Man City

Chelsea

Leicester

Stoke

Crystal Palace

Southampton

Swansea

Arsenal

Which leaves us with the following clubs for whom signing one of those two would be an improvement:

Spoiler

Watford

West Brom

West Ham

Burnley

Everton

Bournemouth

Middlesbrough

Hull

Sunderland

Now given that neither of those players would want to accept a pay cut to move we can cut out a few more clubs. There are clubs in that list who currently have a keeper who is only a tiny bit worse than either of this pair and who don't pay any of the rest of their squad anywhere near as much as they would have to pay one of these players, so essentially looking at clubs where the financial outlay on wages wouldn't be worth it for the tiny improvement in standard. We'll also cut out clubs whose finances are tight enough that they simply couldn't afford the wages on either of these two. So thanks to that we can cut out the following teams:

Spoiler

Watford

Burnley

Bournemouth

Hull

So from our initial list we are now down to the following clubs being the only ones in the Premiership for whom either of these keepers would be a good upgrade and who would afford/justify their wages:

Spoiler

West Brom

West Ham

Everton

Middlesbrough

Sunderland

Now realistically would either of those keepers want to go from Liverpool to any of those clubs? My money is on no, they would rather stay at Liverpool and fight for their place or stay there in the hope that a bigger club will come in for them and so there is no point for teams to even make an offer because they have no intention of joining any of them anyway.

Now that's with two players on relatively low wages by modern standards so how much more difficult do you think it'll be with players on high wages? For example take Morgan Schneiderlin. He's a player that Man Utd don't particularly want but he's on £100k p/w and is nothing more than a pretty average player for the Premiership so he's not good enough for the teams that can easily afford his wages and he's too expensive for the teams who would benefit from signing him.

Edited by mack4ever
Missed out something

@eple: I know. This has nothing to do with it. Karius has already been at the club for a year, Mignolet longer.

@cruyff14: As I already said, nobody is interested. So, no bids.

@mack4ever: The problem with your approach is that the AI teams shouldn't be in possession of those numbers (CA). If they are, that's seriously wrong.

7 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

The problem with your approach is that the AI teams shouldn't be in possession of those numbers (CA). If they are, that's seriously wrong.

They aren't but like human users they have scouts who give opinions in the shape of stars just the same as we get.

6 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@eple: I know. This has nothing to do with it. Karius has already been at the club for a year, Mignolet longer.

@cruyff14: As I already said, nobody is interested. So, no bids.

@mack4ever: The problem with your approach is that the AI teams shouldn't be in possession of those numbers (CA). If they are, that's seriously wrong.

Where did I say that the AI did or didn't have knowledge of what a players CA is?

Even if the AI essentially only has the same knowledge as we do, that is to say that they are going entirely off scout reports, they will still come to the same conclusion that I have through looking at CA values. Their scouts will tell all of them whether either of those goalkeepers would be an improvement on what they currently have or not.

Yep, and given Mignolet's status as an international AND Karius's status as a very promising young keeper (voted 2nd best last season in Bundesliga, after Neuer), you would think that someone, somewhere, should be interested.

20 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Yep, and given Mignolet's status as an international AND Karius's status as a very promising young keeper (voted 2nd best last season in Bundesliga, after Neuer), you would think that someone, somewhere, should be interested.

So I made the effort to explain it all above, you seemed to understand then a short time later you come back with this?

Hmmm, explain why I bothered.

I didn't stop understanding your explanation. What I said above is directed at the game mechanics that appear faulty.

47 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Mignolet has been the Belgians backup for the last 4 years and has made appearances only when Courtois has been injured or otherwise unavailable, and is only 2nd choice because GK is a position where there is literally only one good Belgian. Their choice is so limited that for EURO 2016 they had to call up a 36 year old convicted match fixer who has spent most of his career in Serie B and their current 3rd choice is a 24 year old who plays for Newcastle and isn't even good enough to displace Rob Elliot!

As for Karius, in the game he has very nearly reached his potential already. He is never going to be a world class keeper and any clubs scouts will tell them that.

Now both myself and Cougar have explained to you the reason why you're not getting bids for them. For clubs to bid they have to need a new goalkeeper, have to believe that one of those players will be a substantial improvement on what they currently have, have to be able to afford to sign them and have to believe that the player would want to sign for them.

As I broke down for you, the clubs who would benefit from signing one of those players either can't afford to do it or are such a big step down that they know that neither player would consider signing for them and therefore none of them bid.

9 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I didn't stop understanding your explanation. What I said above is directed at the game mechanics that appear faulty.

Really? How are they that unrealistic?

Let's say that in real life Liverpool do try to get rid of Mignolet. They're trying to sell a keeper who has shown himself to be very average, a decent shot stopper but very weak when it comes to controlling his area and often so error prone that he's a complete liability.

The fact that he's a pretty average keeper means that straight away a lot of clubs aren't going to touch him because he's no better than what they already have so that rules out all of the big clubs.

Then the mid-table clubs aren't going to sign him either because he's pretty much the same standard as what they have already and won't want to throw £60k a week at a player who isn't an improvement on what they already have.

Then the clubs that actually would benefit from a player of his standard wouldn't stand a chance of signing him anyway. Do you really believe that Mignolet would be willing to move from Liverpool, a big club where he is settled, knows people, in a city where his family are settled and enjoying life and uproot it all to move to a club like Burnley or Bournemouth or Sunderland?

If it was so easy to sell players in real life then why are Man Utd stuck with Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastien Schweinsteiger (both of whom you can bet Mourinho would have tried to get the club to sell over the summer) or Adnan Januzaj, Guillermo Varela and James Wilson, all of whom they have been trying to get rid of for at least a season now.

44 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

So I made the effort to explain it all above, you seemed to understand then a short time later you come back with this?

Hmmm, explain why I bothered.

What did you expect, for somebody on this forum to read a sensible, well written, rational response that contradicted with what they wanted to hear and actually take it on board instead of throwing their toys out of the pram until somebody gave them the answer that they wanted to be given?

@mack4ever: Becoming ad hominem like that only tends to make a person look very stupid. It's not recommended procedure.

As for the game mechanics, my word was "faulty", and not "unrealistic" as you inferred. I already demonstrated the fault very clearly.

1) No club is willing to make an offer to buy the player, even if the asking price is set to zero.

2) Plenty of clubs, however, *instantly* make a loan offer for this same player, for the whole season, and will happily pay all of his wages. Your claim that they don't see the player as an improvement on what they already have is falsified right there.

The fact that you can replicate this scenario for many players would seem to infer that it's not so much about the player himself, it's about the code.

What @Cougar2010 said above about loans vs. transfers is probably correct, and there's a glitch in the way the game handles these things. My latest comment on Mignolet and Karius and their respective statuses was directed at that.

6 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@mack4ever

2) Plenty of clubs, however, *instantly* make a loan offer for this same player, for the whole season, and will happily pay all of his wages. Your claim that they don't see the player as an improvement on what they already have is falsified right there.

How about this then, save the game now, then accept a loan offer and holiday for 6 months and see how often he gets played. Then load your save and accept a different loan offer and do the same.

That will tell you whether or not they're loaning him as an improvement on their current choices or as a short term backup.

Mignolet: 32 French league appearances for Nice. That's a Key Player.

Their other goalkeeper, Simon Pouplin, got 6.

On this evidence, the game sort of doesn't know what it's doing when it comes to loans vs. transfers, or something.

Edited by Guest

It's likely that the clubs could pay his current wages, but not the signing on and agents fees, or the wage rise that the players may demand to move there permanently.

Also, it might just be that the players will accept a loan to one of these clubs, but has not interest in going there permanently.

Look at Joe Hart, currently on loan in Torino, for example.

@BoxToBox: It is impossible to say anything about whether the player would be interested in a permanent move, because no club gives him the opportunity to either reject or accept an offer.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@BoxToBox: It is impossible to say anything about whether the player would be interested in a permanent move, because no club gives him the opportunity to either deny or accept an offer.

If AI uses scout reports as stated earlier it says there wheter he's interested or not. No needs to bid on him!

But clubs might be able to get loan deals since player will accept this because he will be back in his team after loan is completed..!?

Anyone will have serious problem offloading premier league players nowadays. Specially if they haven't asked to leave. Wages. It's not only the cost of buying, it's not only wage demands, not only the extra fees and clauses which effectively are a considerable wage extras on top of already perverse wages; not only that players are reluctant to "step down" in team or league quality (or reputation).... clubs that could potentially be interrested in a transfer listed PL player, won't show any interest because of all of these things. Even if the selling price itself is really low, it still could stack up to be deemed not value for money for a buying club. Sometimes a club will be prepared to bid if the selling club agrees to continue to pay part of the players wages - and sometimes that's an offer you should take; it might be the only offer you'll get. Want to offer a player 100k or more in wages? You better be damn sure this one is for a looong time, and have the quality you need for a some years ahead.

The example of Karius and Mignolet; most clubs that could afford them already have keepers that are just as good or better. Not interested. All other clubs can't afford them, even if they were given away - unless these guys are willing to take big pay cuts, and if the scouts from potentially interrested clubs knows about this.

Morale of the story; Think hard and long before you agreeing to wages for players vs the quality you're getting. You are likely to be stuck with them untill their contracts runs out.  Don't just splash the cash, even if you're in a position to do so. Go Wenger on it.

Edited by thomit

Joe Hart is an excellent example of a player who was easier to ship out on loan than sell. He's happy to play for Torino to get guaranteed football but I doubt he'd have agreed to leave for a much smaller club so readily if it had been a permanent transfer offer even if his wages were matched; in the long term he'd rather fight to stay at City. I'm pretty sure Torino knew this and wouldn't have made a transfer bid even if City had indicated they were willing to give him away.

One of the reasons players are more willing to temporarily leave for first team football is that their contracts often last longer than the manager that doesn't want to play them...

It would help if the transfer system gave more feedback on why no offers were forthcoming though

56 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@BoxToBox: It is impossible to say anything about whether the player would be interested in a permanent move, because no club gives him the opportunity to either reject or accept an offer.

The clubs will already know whether the player is interested or not, as they'll have scouted him, and will only bid if they expect the player is indeed interested.

We can argue specifics all day but I'm inclined to agree that transfers seem subdued in this game. I've played 2.5 seasons and had massive turnover going from Lega Pro to Serie A and I'm not sure I can remember one single genuine proper transfer fee including transfer bid coming in completely unsolicited since I began playing. There have been some offer responses and some contract offers for expiring players but even those have been rare. Nationwide Belgian keeper dynamics aside do most of us not seem to agree that generally speaking it's harder to sell than in past games and compared to how our perceived realism would dictate?

2 hours ago, Weston said:

I'm not sure I can remember one single genuine proper transfer fee including transfer bid coming in completely unsolicited since I began playing.

Not at all my experience. As has been pointed out in several threads, transfer activity at the start of a new save is massively subdued because of the game mechanic whereby the squads on July 1 are actually the squads on transfer deadline day; ie, everyone has already done their business and there's very little money left in the kitty. Even so, I've had several unwanted transfer bids for players in the first transfer window (try managing Norwich where half your squad gets tapped up by bottom-feeding Premier League clubs).

Second season transfer window works exactly as you'd expect, even for overpaid, over-priced PL players. At Man Utd in summer 2017, over several different saves, I've had unsolicited offers for Blind, Darmian, Mata, Schneiderlin, and for Martial. On the other hand, I've managed to offload Ashley Young in the first window by offering him out at half-value and promising to pay around 30% of his wages.

There'll always be odd exceptions, but the transfer system in FM17 seems thoroughly realistic to me.

Edited by warlock

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Not at all my experience. As has been pointed out in several threads, transfer activity at the start of a new save is massively subdued because of the game mechanic whereby the squads on July 1 are actually the squads on transfer deadline day; ie, everyone has already done their business and there's very little money left in the kitty. Even so, I've had several unwanted transfer bids for players in the first transfer window (try managing Norwich where half your squad gets tapped up by bottom-feeding Premier League clubs).

That's because allowing a transfer window in the beginning summer is kinda dumb no matter what. At least personally speaking, I always leave that off for the sake of realism - I inherent the squad made for that season and play with it as it was meant to be at least until January.

In any case, most people in this thread discuss how offers might not come in because of how expensive the players are and how many clubs are not rich enough to afford them (though you show the opposite), but I've played in all three playable tiers of Italy as a club that was in the fourth tier last year, so I've been the vulnerable small fish (and league toppers) plenty of times and was / am genuinely surprised I haven't been poached more. I haven't even had a single player complain about interest being shown in them! I guess I shouldn't complain, I just wanted to at least add my experience to the discussion for what it's worth.

Keep in mind that it's not just the clubs who make decisions. The players themselves also has a say. Someone like Mignolet might not want to go (drop down) to the few clubs who are actually interested and those clubs will know this before even making an offer.

@HUNT3R: So how does this tie up with the fact that Mignolet was perfectly happy to go on loan to Nice and play as their main goalie for the season?

47 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

@HUNT3R: So how does this tie up with the fact that Mignolet was perfectly happy to go on loan to Nice and play as their main goalie for the season?

How many scout reports have you had saying that a player would be happy to join on loan but not permanently? My guess is that this is one of those cases.

That's a possibility, yes. Actually, it would be interesting to loan him out for the remainder of his contract and then see whether anyone picks him up for free. But given the snafu my game is in at the moment (I have a thread about it on the Other Gameplay Issues forum), I won't bother.

You think that's bad, try being Sunderland and trying to sell Jack Rodwell, by season 3 he has had so many injuries and declined so much for me he is a good league 1 player but still on his starting wages of about 30k a week I think. Best offer I can get for him is a season long loan no monthly fee 10% wages as a backup in league 1. Just going to have to wait for his contract to expire. The main difficulty as many suggested is primarily wages which are huge in the premier league meaning very few non EPL clubs can afford them and even if they can half the time the player doesn't really justify that wage.

4 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Well think about it.

The most desirable outcome for Mignolet is to either do enough to win back his place at Liverpool or move to a club of a similar stature.

At the present time he is out of the picture at Liverpool and there aren't any big clubs interested in him.

Now Nice is a big step down and if he were to agree a transfer then realistically he's tying himself to a smaller club for 2 to 3 years at the very minimum whereas if he moves to them on loan he knows that he's only there for 12 months and that in those 12 months he can effectively put himself in the shop window to make it more likely that he can achieve one of his overall aims, of either getting back his place at Liverpool or being signed by another big club.

I would like to see players on big wages that you are trying sell be a lot more prone to loan offers being made for them and also perhaps the selling club being asked to pay a % of the wages, more of the time, to make the deal more feasible. I don't think there enough of these offers.

On 12/12/2016 at 07:16, xzar_monty said:

He wants to play football to either win his place back at Liverpool, or attract attention? As has been pointed out numerous times, look at Joe Hart. There is a world of different in dropping down a level for a single season, and signing there permanently. It is completely normal for the player to consider a loan to a club they would not join permanently. 

On 12/12/2016 at 08:16, xzar_monty said:

That's a possibility, yes. Actually, it would be interesting to loan him out for the remainder of his contract and then see whether anyone picks him up for free. But given the snafu my game is in at the moment (I have a thread about it on the Other Gameplay Issues forum), I won't bother.

This will change his situation again. If he has no club at all, playing for anyone is better than not playing at all. He will drop his contract demands after some time without a club as well, making him a better prospect for smaller clubs. He will be picked up by someone, for sure. This does not instantly mean you should have been able to sell him to that club.

I don't know if it's because of the recent patch or the fact that I've moved to a recently relegated club with better players but for the record I am now buried under a barrage of transfer and loan offers for nearly all of my squad. Though, curiously, no one wants a free loan for the player I'm trying to ship out who doesn't need to be registered but would start for most if not all other clubs in my league ¯\_()_/¯

It's always amazed me as well

i can name hundreds of examples. 

One of which on fm17 I tried to sell Rooney for 0k. No one wants him. Ok maybe it's his wage..

Depay no one would even offer 0k for him, that's after I'd sent him to Seville on loan where he scored 14 goals in 19 appearances. Madness?

But there are also good players on affordable wages that I've been unable to get rid of even for the minimum price

Offers I receive for players are usually lower than their value and once rejected they rarely come back in for a bigger offer. Players I try to sell for there asking price I always seem to get offers for 1/3 of their value (that's if they even offer)

yet when I try to sign players they always ask for unrealistic extortionate amounts

for example a Greek regen. Only 4 stars for aek. Value was 77k. They wanted 54m no less. Really? I'm quite sure AEK would accept bids of less than that. It's as if the game doesn't distinguish between clubs, but surely even Real Madrid would sell a promising but no guarantees 17 year old for less than 54m

Ruins the fun of the game. 

Edited by xtradj

2 hours ago, xtradj said:

1  -  One of which on fm17 I tried to sell Rooney for 0k. No one wants him. Ok maybe it's his wage..

2  -  Depay no one would even offer 0k for him, that's after I'd sent him to Seville on loan where he scored 14 goals in 19 appearances. Madness?

3  -  for example a Greek regen. Only 4 stars for aek. Value was 77k. They wanted 54m no less. Really? I'm quite sure AEK would accept bids of less than that. It's as if the game doesn't distinguish between clubs, but surely even Real Madrid would sell a promising but no guarantees 17 year old for less than 54m

1  -  There are a few factors to consider here. Even if the transfer fee is 0, there will be agent fees that come out of the transfer budget.

Wages is the most likely cause though. How many clubs in the world would Rooney consider joining? How many of those teams can actually afford him? Of those, who would really be interested/in need of someone like him? Are there cheaper alternatives that they're rather pursuing or are they happy with their squad as it is?

2 - Same thing. Is he happy at the club? He's at one of the biggest clubs in the world, getting a decent wage. There are only so many clubs that he'd want to join and of those, how many are interested in him? They again could have settled squads or can find better alternatives.

3 -  They don't want 54m. They don't want to sell. That's all it is. You're getting quoted a stupid figure so that you'd go away. Did you negotiate? Also, if you put effort in, assuming you're a big club, you can unsettle him and then get him for much cheaper.

The wages might be the stumbling point. In FM2016 i had a few players like this that I could not get rid of. So I edited their wages down to something like 20k and i then managed to get rid of them (for a failry low transfer fee). It might not be that easy in 2017 but worth a try. Not strictly real life but it might help you sell them.

One little tip I can suggest is while trying to sell a player (whether a first team or backup) is to offer to contribute to the wages of that player. I've had lots of success with this clause/feature. It's especially helpful when trying to get rid of players who are on high wages and no longer part of your plans. It might not fetch you a very high bid however it gets teams interested more often than not, from my experience. 

I had Gervinho on 5 mil/year at a Chinese club in the CSL and at 32, obviously he wasn't quite the star nor the player he was years ago. Offered him out at a very low price (250-300K if I'm not mistaken) and offered to pay 60% of his wages. Ended up selling him quite quickly. I took the same approach to another player whom I wanted to get rid of, a much younger player at that, and a transfer was quickly arranged. 

While it may not be the most ideal transfer arrangement, it definitely helps. 

With that being said, I do believe the 0K/extremely low fees for good players (even if on high wages) who are offered out coming back with zero bids is something that needs to be looked at. It's obvious the in-game mechanic isn't perfect but I'd argue that it needs work in that aspect. If Wayne Rooney or Depay were offered out for 0K by Man United right now, in real life, I am certain without a doubt that there would be a host of clubs lined up to get them on their books. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is being silly. What the game currently does is take into consideration only a few things, one of those being whether a player is transfer-listed or not, if they are playing regularly and whether they are happy/unhappy. And it weighs them differently. This is where you can see that it's limited by what the developers have programmed based on how they think the transfer mechanics should work. 

41 minutes ago, Arkim said:

One little tip I can suggest is while trying to sell a player (whether a first team or backup) is to offer to contribute to the wages of that player. I've had lots of success with this clause/feature. It's especially helpful when trying to get rid of players who are on high wages and no longer part of your plans. It might not fetch you a very high bid however it gets teams interested more often than not, from my experience. 

I had Gervinho on 5 mil/year at a Chinese club in the CSL and at 32, obviously he wasn't quite the star nor the player he was years ago. Offered him out at a very low price (250-300K if I'm not mistaken) and offered to pay 60% of his wages. Ended up selling him quite quickly. I took the same approach to another player whom I wanted to get rid of, a much younger player at that, and a transfer was quickly arranged. 

While it may not be the most ideal transfer arrangement, it definitely helps. 

With that being said, I do believe the 0K/extremely low fees for good players (even if on high wages) who are offered out coming back with zero bids is something that needs to be looked at. It's obvious the in-game mechanic isn't perfect but I'd argue that it needs work in that aspect. If Wayne Rooney or Depay were offered out for 0K by Man United right now, in real life, I am certain without a doubt that there would be a host of clubs lined up to get them on their books. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is being silly. What the game currently does is take into consideration only a few things, one of those being whether a player is transfer-listed or not, if they are playing regularly and whether they are happy/unhappy. And it weighs them differently. This is where you can see that it's limited by what the developers have programmed based on how they think the transfer mechanics should work. 

I've actually found that one way to help with this is to load in the American and Chinese leagues - they are often able to pay high wages to over-the-hill players and willing to make bids on them.

My sales in my current ongoing LFC save. I do not have China/USA loaded. I've got 11 nations and 15 leagues. In other words, I am certainly not experiencing the same problem with selling players.

Season 1:
Lucas, to China, £11M
Tiago Ilori, Villa, £1.5M
Klavan, Celta, £7M
Moreno, So'ton, £15M

Season 2:
Lallana, Marseille, £30M
Sakho, Barca, £19M
Mignolet, Milan, £8M
Can, PSG, £70M
Lovren, PSG, £33M
Karius, Sheff W, £8M