41221 Too many long shots

Hi all, I am Coventry on FM17 and just finished the first season. We were predicted to finish 11th and actually finished 4th so that was pleasing. Completely choked in the Playoffs though.

I am using a 41221 formation, which I'd never been able to get to work until now when I have persevered with it and taken some good advice from threads and people on this forum. Here is the formation:

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-10%20at%2021.28.

The DM has PIs of Shoot Less Often and Less Risky Passes

As you can see we've had a pretty good season using it.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-10%20at%2021.29.

As you can see from our playoff first leg match though, we totally dominated and were very unlucky to lose.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-10%20at%2021.30.

The high number of long shots is worrying to me though. Is there anything obviously wrong with my tactic that could be causing the long shots? Quite a few other matches I have noticed we have a high proportion of long shots too.

Would appreciate any feedback from the guys with a lot more understanding of the game than me! Thanks.

The best way to get started sorting this out is to watch back the clips for the long shots{Note: Be sure to check the guilty players for the PPM shoots from range (or whatever its called)}. When you are watching the clips, take a note of the player's passing/dribbling options to get as sense of why he might have taken the long shot. Usually it because they don't recognize other/better options- this could be player attributes, or tactical, or both, but it's hard to know without the context.

Archived