Sports Interactive Community
phd_angel

Personal Life of Players in FM

Some players skip training or miss their countries and ask to leave.

But how about players who get in car accidents, get arrested, say something wrong on TV and a big sponsor ask him to be removed, or the association fine him/club for some misbehavior?....

Isn't this a reality that FM could consider adding?...

No, newgens wouldn't be bound by legal restraints, but the respective clubs might not be to pleased to be "presented" this way. And I really don't think SI would want to go down that road, it's a rather unpleasant one, and one which, frankly, doesn't really have anything to do with football (yes, there are footballers who get into such situations, and yes, many of those get into those because they're footballers, but still..)

On another not, the feature request forum would be more appropriate, I'd guess..

47 minutes ago, Maaka said:

No, newgens wouldn't be bound by legal restraints, but the respective clubs might not be to pleased to be "presented" this way. And I really don't think SI would want to go down that road, it's a rather unpleasant one, and one which, frankly, doesn't really have anything to do with football (yes, there are footballers who get into such situations, and yes, many of those get into those because they're footballers, but still..)

On another not, the feature request forum would be more appropriate, I'd guess..

agree about the legal aspect being SI reason not to do it. (disagree with them about not doing it... never been a court case where a footballer has been to court crying that they were alleged to have punched someone in a randomised football simulation game). Also what I would query is why are they more likely to have legal ramifications if a player is act badly off the field ... opposed to all the current negative things that can happen to a player ... as the OP mentions... they fail to turn up to training and you can fine them. they can be given low attribute values, they can score low ratings, scout reports can say the player is not good enough.... I don't see where the line is crossed by also having them dive, punch, kick, retaliate during matches ... or get in trouble off the field. whats the difference... all those things happen IRL.

but to say it has nothing to do with football is silly. Balotelli even had a good behaviour clause in his Liverpool contract. There are lots of players in real life that require good man management to get the best out of them.

37 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

but to say it has nothing to do with football is silly. Balotelli even had a good behaviour clause in his Liverpool contract. There are lots of players in real life that require good man management to get the best out of them.

Of course, what I meant is that it doesn't, strictly speaking, have anything to do directly with football. Of course how a player behaves off the field can affect the club in several ways, but implementing that would mean to include a whole wide plethora of possibilities, of which "bad behaviour" would be a part, but there's so much, much more to it that would also have to be included (including events such as the events in the ACN in 2010 (attack on Togo's team bus) and 2014 (Ebola outbreak in Liberia), and (sad to say) the Chapecoense disaster, as well as the rape allegations against several profiled (and how many non-profiled) players in recent years. Do we really want to open that can of worms?).

Fwiw, I'm not advocating that such things should never be included, I just don't see that it will in the foreseeable future. Anything to make the FM world more realistic is welcome in my book, even if it's to the player's disadvantage.

Good points, thanks guys.

What I mean to say is that FM matches have zero disturbance: no animals invading the pitch, no hurricanes, no hooligans fighting and cops intervening, no electric blackouts; and the pre/post-match animations are simply quite underwhelming (even when you win the World Cup). It's all quite predictable and safe...

I'd like to see an option that adds a little bit more of drama and disruption in the game.

9 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Good points, thanks guys.

What I mean to say is that FM matches have zero disturbance: no animals invading the pitch, no hurricanes, no hooligans fighting and cops intervening, no electric blackouts; and the pre/post-match animations are simply quite underwhelming (even when you win the World Cup). It's all quite predictable and safe...

I'd like to see an option that adds a little bit more of drama and disruption in the game.

That's all too arcadey. Remember this is all about being a Football Manager - these events have nothing to do with the central purpose.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

That's all too arcadey. Remember this is all about being a Football Manager - these events have nothing to do with the central purpose.

I respectfully disagree. Even in FM, grievances, emotional relationships and visa permits try to be central (isn't that "arcadey" as well?). Overall, when Miles Jacobson keeps saying that a new edition "adds realism" but other externalities are simply neglected, then that doesn't deliver on the brand promise. I won't speculate on what the "central purpose" is beyond his statement, but I think that more options could be be made available.

Well okay. To be honest I'd like to see some of them too. There was one time a few years back where you could type in a hack and regens would start misbehaving. I was great.

But I just know that SI will not begin to consider such ideas, so there's no point giving much thought to them.

2 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

I respectfully disagree. Even in FM, grievances, emotional relationships and visa permits try to be central (isn't that "arcadey" as well?). Overall, when Miles Jacobson keeps saying that a new edition "adds realism" but other externalities are simply neglected, then that doesn't deliver on the brand promise. I won't speculate on what the "central purpose" is beyond his statement, but I think that more options could be be made available.

You won't speculate on it because you know full well those things will never be included.  Because they don't need to be.  Do you really think it adds to the game beyond "lolz look at that" to have animals invading the pitch?  So happy for them to code in random pitch invasions and electric blackouts instead of shoring up transfer AI or the ME?  Aye, that's the game, right enough.

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

You won't speculate on it because you know full well those things will never be included.  Because they don't need to be.  Do you really think it adds to the game beyond "lolz look at that" to have animals invading the pitch?  So happy for them to code in random pitch invasions and electric blackouts instead of shoring up transfer AI or the ME?  Aye, that's the game, right enough.

agree ME should be priority ... but they make a rod for their own back when they go half-hog with occasionally someone not turning up to training (usually inexplicably), why have social feed added which is nothing to do with football (it's an external factor based presumably for 'lolz' though all it gets from me is rage, annoyance and vitriol), why have Brexit? Certain things won't/can't happen for legal reasons... but don't give me an annoying social feed, which isn't interactive or have any impact on players/staff and in general makes no sense...  then tell me they can't show players lifting the world cup because that's not central to football management.

Just now, westy8chimp said:

agree ME should be priority ... but they make a rod for their own back when they go half-hog with occasionally someone not turning up to training (usually inexplicably), why have social feed added which is nothing to do with football (it's an external factor based presumably for 'lolz' though all it gets from me is rage, annoyance and vitriol), why have Brexit? Certain things won't/can't happen for legal reasons... but don't give me an annoying social feed, which isn't interactive or have any impact on players/staff and in general makes no sense...  then tell me they can't show players lifting the world cup because that's not central to football management.

And who said that?  There's a massive difference between showing a trophy celebration and cringeworthy additions like animals invading the pitch.  But then you seem to be equating Brexit with these kinds of things, so hardly surprising.

Customization is a trend. So, sometime in the future, FM will add general sliding bars, such as:

purism --|----|------|----|-----|----- realism

social --|----|------|----|-----|----- individual

Those who want to coach football in lalaland will be happy, those who want full realism will be happy. That's "adding realism"...

How is Brexit not equal or even less nonsensical than a pitch invasion? Pitch invasions have happened thousands of times in football history. to date no football team has been directly impacted by Brexit... I wont rant about Brexit here.. but have a look at the numerous threads slamming it. It simply hasn't happened, may not happen and if it does happen we don't know if/what effect it will have on football.

fans protest IRL

Players dive IRL

GKs get sent off IRL

Animals invade the pitch IRL

Players get in trouble for social media IRL

Players get involved off the field in events that managers then have to comment and action on IRL

3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

How is Brexit not equal or even less nonsensical than a pitch invasion? Pitch invasions have happened thousands of times in football history. to date no football team has been directly impacted by Brexit... I wont rant about Brexit here.. but have a look at the numerous threads slamming it. It simply hasn't happened, may not happen and if it does happen we don't know if/what effect it will have on football.

Great points! But remember:

FM is a game developed by Brits, for the British market primarily.  Third world realities won't matter much (perhaps, even if FM sales in those areas become more substantial). A more global mindset will be required...

5 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

fans protest IRL

Players dive IRL

GKs get sent off IRL

Players get involved off the field in events that managers then have to comment and action on IRL

Yes annoying that they leave lots of little things out which would spice the game up but include some bits which are annoying like social feed and repetitive press conferences

3 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Great points! But remember:

FM is a game developed by Brits, for the British market primarily.  Third world realities won't matter much (perhaps, even if FM sales in those areas become more substantial). A more global mindset will be required...

Third world - even teams in Yorkshire storm the pitch :lol: 

16 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Some players skip training or miss their countries and ask to leave.

But how about players who get in car accidents, get arrested, say something wrong on TV and a big sponsor ask him to be removed, or the association fine him/club for some misbehavior?....

Isn't this a reality that FM could consider adding?...

I think the difference is that skipping training or becoming homesick is a more frequent occurrence in real life than players being involved car accidents, getting arrested etc.

I think they should add players being booked for diving in FM (unless this already happens and I'm not aware of it).

1 hour ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

I think they should add players being booked for diving in FM (unless this already happens and I'm not aware of it).

I was playing FM15 this afternoon and I'm pretty sure one of my players got carded for diving.

I had a player sent off for two diving offences before, was raging.

I'm also sure Ive had regens be "spotted at a nightclub" before missing training the next day

20 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

fans protest IRL

Players dive IRL

GKs get sent off IRL

First things first, I agree with you on Brexit. I do not think that it should have been included in the game yet however the fact of the matter is that it was a big issue that was relevant at the time the game was being developed and advertised and made for some perfect publicity for SI and I can't blame them for capitalising on the chance.

However, moving on, some of your points are wrong right out of the gate.

Players in FM do dive. When it happens it'll be mentioned in the commentary. I will admit that it's rare for a player to be penalised for a dive in FM but equally it's rare for a player to be penalised for a dive in real life.

Goalkeepers do get sent off in FM. Again, it's not a common occurrence but neither is it in real life. If we look at the last few Premier League seasons we'll see that. Over the course of a 38 game season we have 760 full games of football complete by goalkeepers.

2013/14 - 4 red cards in total - One red card for every 285 hours of football played.

2014/15 - 2 red cards in total - One red card for every 570 hours of football played.

2015/16 - 3 red cards in total - One red card for every 380 hours of football played.

2016/17 (so far) - 0 red cards in total from 420 hours of football.

So obviously in FM they should be a very rare occurance but they do still happen. In my current save there were 2 red cards in the Premier League last season, 2 red cards in the Championship and 3 red cards in League 1, which would be pretty accurate to the real life figures.

As for some of the other things, the problem is that if they introduced them then they are opening themselves up to the risk of a player or a club taking offense and suing them for libel. Even though that risk is low it's still a risk that they are rightly not willing to take. Obviously they could simply allow things like players getting banned for social media comments, or fighting with other players or referees, or a club getting fined for the actions of their fans, or any number of other offenses but restrict them to only being able to happen to newgens but then there will be scores of people like yourself coming on here to complain that it's unrealistic that only newgens can commit those offenses!