[FM17] A Tottenham Hotspur Story

TottenhamBoi90

[FM17] A Tottenham Hotspur Story

Introduction

I am Chris, 26 from Leicester, England. I have been playing football manager games since i was 8 years old on Premier Managers through to LMA Manager, Championship Manager and now the Football Manager series. I am a Tottenham fan and i have done a few FM stories in the past most notably A Liege of their Own on FM-Base a few years ago. Naming stuff has never been my strong point but i thought that was quite good for a Standard Liege game based on when FM introduced the league reputations into the game. A Tottenham Hotspur story is pretty poor so i can only apologize for that. On Previous FMs i have had a few 10+ season saves with Tottenham, Huddersfield+Juventus+Man City, Portsmouth, Fiorentina, Sporting Lisbon and Standard Liege i think went over 10 so potentially this could be a long term save to follow hopefully for you story lovers. On my Pompey save i did have my own son enter the academy because of Abdi Ibrahim, The relationship wasn't sexual but i think it's just how the game works if you've had a player 10 years.

I have started in England (League 2 and above) with France, Germany, Italy and Spain loaded with their top 2 leagues. I have a Large database because my laptop is pretty good these days and i play in 3D.I have also disabled adding key staff because their rubbish and i have finally disabled the first transfer window and i say finally because really after the summer transfers you don't get a new manager and a new wave of signings so i am playing properly, I have also started as Chris Saunt, 26 from Leicester, England so i have got no coaching badges and only Sunday league experience and even that's pushing it, I had 1 season standing on right wing never getting the ball because my team was shocking when i was 12 and the rest of them were 11, I was quite small and still am very young looking, We lost every single game in the bottom division and were relegated out of existence, The top scorer had 2 goals all season, That was enough for me. I have not added my game face either because when you see your own game face on FM or FIFA you realize just how ugly you are so i have gone for a trendy looking avatar with wind swept hair, designer beard, suit and a trench coat. OOOYA JESUS!

After brushing up on the house rules for this site i have discovered that this is a text only stories forum with no links so a few ideas have gone down the toilet like putting up screenshots as i go along and links to YouTube for big matches and seeing the great goals i score but that's not too worry because those are the rules and it will save me a load of time. In searching for alternative ideas to make my story unique i have decided to do an FM style tab template for Pre-Season and i think it will be good for note taking as i play along. I also intend to post Monthly updates for this story. On that note i will grab myself a cup of tea and crack on with pre-season.

Pre-Season

• Home

This section is purely to say that the board accepted to fund my Coaching Course for my National C License. Yayy!!! If i was to use this as a monthly template as well, I could use this section to inform you guys on the promises i make and all the personal contracts and stats.
-----

• Inbox

-----

This section would mainly be used for awards and other news items that catch my eye. Leagues in focus maybe.

• Squad

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (C), Pau Lopez (Loan), Michel Vorm

Right Backs: Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier

Left Backs: Danny Rose, Ben Davies

Center Backs: Toby Alderweireld, Jan Verthongen (VC), Kevin Wimmer

Defensive Midfielders: Eric Dier, Mousa Dembele, Victor Wanyama, Tom Carroll

Right Wingers: Erik Lamela, Moussa Sissoko

Left Wingers: Son Hueng-Min, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou

Attacking Midfielders: Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen

Strikers: Harry Kane, Vincent Jansson

• Schedule

I completely re-arranged the pre-season schedule and cancelled all fixtures. The new fixtures are as follows: (TC=Training Camp, T=Tour, A=Away, H=Home)
(TC) Beijing, (A) Aston Villa, (T) LA Galaxy, (T) NYCFC, (T) Orlando City, (T) Seattle, (H) Boca Juniors
The results are not important but we won them all except Galaxy which we lost.

• Competitions

Expectations for this season from the board is to qualify for the Europa League, Reach the semi-final of the FA Cup, The League Cup is not important and the Champions League expectation is to reach the first knock-out round. My expectations however are very different, I am an ambitious manager but i think it's achievable. I want a top 4 finish to qualify for the Champions League for a 2nd season running. I want to win the FA Cup for the first time since 1991. I want to use the League Cup to give opportunities for the young players at Tottenham and we won it in 2008 and lost 2 finals since so for the board to disregard it baffles me but nobody remembers a losing finalist so i want Quarter-Finals or Win it. The Champions League though is massive, If we got to the Quarter-Finals and got smashed by Real Madrid like last time i would be very happy.

• Under 23s

I want to give Kyle Walker-Peters, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Harry Winks, Joshua Onomah and Shayon Harrison some first team games this season so most likely in the League Cup.

• Under 18s

Same as above i want Marcus Edwards and Kazaiah Sterling to get some games if possible.

-----

• Tactics

I have set up the team in a 4-2-3-1 formation as a base with wing backs and inside forwards. I have 1 Central defender and 1 ball playing defender. In midfield i have a sitter, runner, creator combination and upfront Harry Kane will be a target man. Vincent Janssen will be a poacher. Wanyama will be a ball winner and Sissoko will be a winger and the wing back on that side i will have to change manually to a full back because you can't trigger changes like that yet on FM. I have 1 player instruction in the set up and the goalkeeper has it, he will distribute to full backs. I have also made a little tweak at corners so the ball playing defender is at the back post and the central defender is at the front post. Set piece wise i have Eriksen taking free kicks and corners on the left and Lamela taking free kicks and corners on the right so they are in swinging. Kane will be on penalties. Captain Lloris and Vice Captain Verthongen.
As for the TI's i have 9 and this is often referred to as your Philosophy. Lower tempo, fairly narrow, slightly deeper, close down more, exploit left and right, play out of defense, Retain possession and look for overlaps. I will make formation changes very often, I will make role changes very often but my philosophy is more certain than anything else.

• Team Report

The team is injury free for the start of the season but Mousa Dembele is banned for 4 games

• Staff

There is no short way of saying i have been very busy in this department after signing 2 fitness coaches, 4 coaches and 13 scouts. I have signed Enrico Arrigotti as a defensive coach, Diego Bortoluzzi as an offensive coach, Paul Scholes as a shooting coach and Paul McGuiness as a ball control coach. A break down of the scouts will be done in the upcoming scout section. I have mutually terminated Nathan Gardner (Fitness Coach) and Miguel D'Agostino (Coach) from their contracts but kept everybody else most notably Toni Jimenez (GK Coach) and Pat Jennings (GK Coach). Assistant Manager Jesus Perez has and will continue to manage friendly matches and The Head of Youth Development John McDermott will renew youth contracts.

• Training

I like to keep training basic and have changed the Teams general focus on to ball control to help my philosophy and match preparation to attacking movement. The default start week was already on balanced and could not be changed but after there was a week of fitness, tactical and team cohesion in preparation for the new season. I intend to do another week on balanced and fitness during the first international break and another week on tactical and team cohesion in the second international break keeping around 15 per cent averages through out the season. The third international break will be a focus on balanced and fitness and finally the fourth international break will beĀ  back to focusing on tactical and team cohesion. January will be a rogue month of training with the 4 weeks being split into balanced, fitness, tactical and team cohesion as focusing on ball control from November to March will be a little too long.
-----

• Scouting

The scouts already at the club have been assigned as follows: Ian Broomfield (Next Opponent), Paul Mitchell (Premier League 2), Mick Brom (England), Drissa Diallo (France), Steffen Freund (Germany) and Teemu Tainio (USA). I have also signed and assigned as follows: Oscar Suarez (Spain), Valentino Angelino (Italy), Ivan Zamorano (Argentina), Ivan Campos (Brazil), Paulo Menezes (Portugal), Stephane Pauwels (Belgium), Klaus-Dieter Kreft (Austria), Frank Lelle (Switzerland), Vasiliki Pappa (Greece), Murat Kus (Turkey), Bojan Krkic (Serbia), Husnija Fazlic (Bosnia) and Jakob Friis-Hansen (Denmark). All in all 19 out of 19 scouts are on assignment and i will be giving them further assignments on any 3 and half star prospects to scout until they have full knowledge as i build a shortlist for January and Next Summer's transfer windows. I toyed with the idea of having less scouts and do a more region roaming approach but i think it brings up far more players far more quickly when assigning by nation. Around 300 each for the playable nations. Doing this approach is quite costly and i am still a bit short in some areas most notably in Holland, Poland and Croatia. I have not yet tapped into Asia or Africa and Mexico would be a useful one too as well as Norway and Sweden so i will recruit more scouts when i can.

• Transfers

I have disabled the first transfer budgets but it doesn't stop you from getting free's and loans. A few Premier League clubs have opted to loan out youngsters but i have plans for my class of 2016.
-----

• Club

The club news to report is i have cancelled the only 2 links Tottenham currently had with SuperSport (RSA) and International (Bra) and opted to go for Fulham on a domestic loan basis.Ā 

• Board

I have had the full backing of the board both with recruiting Fulham as an afiliate club and allowing me to recruit more scouts. I will be looking at the end of the season to increase my coaching staff but it is more than adequate for the time being. I would like to have 1 more attack, defense, shooting and ball control coach by this time next season. I also might look into getting a Director of Football but only if i have a job for him and hook up the U18s with a proper manager as the U23s have Ugo Ehiogu as Manager. Maybe a promotion for Ledley King is in order, i am not sure yet.

• Finances

Balance is at Ā£83m due to the amount of staff i have signed although they were all unattached, its more contracts to pay out. It was above Ā£90m when i started the game, but a few wins in the Champions League and that will be sorted.

To summarize i am delighted with the work i have done in pre-season. Lots of new staff and this is the first time i have disabled first window budgets and pre-season flew by but for a few annoying loan offers so that was a good choice. A few injuries like Erik Lamela had a back strain for 4 weeks but hes back in full training now and available for selection for the start of the campaign. All in all a very good pre-season, Id love to hear your feedback on this FM style tab template thing i have done and if i should or should not use it as a template for my monthly updates as well? I have developed the idea a little further in my head and i could make it work for monthly updates but if not my original plan was to talk about tactics and games during each month and do a summary at the end of where i am and mention certain things. I hope you enjoyed pre-season and look forward to posting August tomorrow hopefully after some feedback. Thank you and good night.

Ā 

August 2016

Tottenham V Crystal Palace
Palace come to White Hart Lane with a 4-1-4-1 formation, I opt to stick with my pre-season plan of 4-2-3-1 but decide to go with Trippier and Davies as wing backs for the better crossing. Lloris, Alderweirald and Verthongen pick themselves. In Midfield Dier sits, Wanyama wins the ball and Alli at number 10. Lamela on the right and Eriksen on the left with Harry Kane up top. Despite planning i can't legislate for going 1-0 down. Verthongen fails to clear from a Palace corner and Delaney smashes 1 in past Lloris. It's not long though before Alli is brought down and the ball rolls to Kane on the edge of the box who turns and smashes in the equalizer! Something didn't feel right first half, Palace had too much of the ball for their formation they was playing, I needed more energy from my players. At half time i checked Lamela's match fitness at 70 per cent, An early injury in pre-season holding him back i think, I replace him with Sissoko and bring on Walker for a full back winger combination down our right hand side. I get a reaction from my aggressive half time team talk as Vertonghen atones for his earlier error to head down for Dele Alli to smash us infront. With 20 minutes to go i swap Eriksen to number 10 and take off Alli for Nkoudou to come on down the left. That was the spark as Eriksen makes a run in behind and a perfectly timed early cross from Sissoko is finished by Eriksen at the near post. After that i am all out of changes and start to worry about the condition of Dier in midfield but Palace stick stubbornly in their 4-1-4-1 and i see the game out without any hiccups for an opening day 3-1 home victory.

Man Utd v Tottenham
After playing 45 minutes in midweek for the U23s, Lamela is still only up to 78 match fitness. I had hoped that now having 90 under his belt would see him right for this game but thats not going to be the case. Sissoko played 90 for the U23s and is fully recovered and match fit so i make 2 changes down the right with Walker coming into assist Sissoko. Rose also comes in for Davies at left full back. Man Utd want to play 4-4-1-1 so i am going to change formation and react. I have gone for a 4-1-4-1 with Dier sitting, Alli creating and Wanyama ball winning. Eriksen will be a winger on his 100th Tottenham appearance and hopefully can get up to support the lonely warrior that is Harry Kane upfront.
Man Utd start very dominant in possession and its not long before Pogba pings in a long ranger to give the home side the lead. At half time i am aggressive again hoping to spark something second half. I decide to take off Wanyama and put Sissoko as a box to box next to Alli and Lamela comes on for more game time on the right playing as winger to keep my full back shape at the back. Lamela has an impact, He shields Blind who 2 foots him from behind and is sent off by the referee. Man Utd drop their number 10 in favor of 2 banks of 4 so i change back to 4-2-3-1 with wing backs and inside forwards hoping to take the game to United with the extra man. With 20 minutes left Carroll replaces Sissoko for fresh legs and Janssen replaces Kane but nothing materializes, United defend resolutely to see the game out. My first defeat as Tottenham boss away at Old Trafford 1-0 isn't too bad but considering the circumstances, Maybe points dropped.

After the loss at Old Trafford it's time for the League Cup and Champions League draws but first Lamela played for the U23s and is now match fit, Tom Carroll played twice and got a dead leg but the gutting news of Danny Rose achilles injury means he'll be side lined for 4-5 months. Ben Davies will getting a lot of shop window time with rumours circulating Man City want his signature. Kyle Walker-Peters has been promoted to the senior squad as cover and now on to the draws...
League Cup 3rd Round Draw
Southampton v Tottenham
Champions League Group Stage Draw
Barcelona, Dortmund, Kobenhavn
Reaction
Not the easiest of draws in either of the competitions. Any Premier League side would have been nice to avoid as i plan to play some of the U23s. Saints do have a good academy themselves though so hopefully they'll field 1 or 2 prospects. In the Champions League it could be a group of death situation. The home games will be important and difficult to try and win but some enjoyable away games for the Tottenham fans going to the Nou Camp and Copenhagen as well as Dortmund's famous yellow wall to the cry of You'll Never Walk Alone which links me nicely to our next game.

Tottenham v Liverpool
My scouts inform me Liverpool will be playing a 4-5-1 for their visit to the Lane. They have won their first 2 games of the season. I opt for a 4-4-1-1 keeping with full backs and wingers but Alli is now closer to Kane. Davies comes in for the injured Rose and Sissoko keeps his place for tactical reasons even though Lamela is match fit. I have plenty of reinforcements though as Son comes onto the bench for Tom Carroll. In our first 2 games we conceded first and last game it was fatal so it was important to score first in this one and that we did when Eriksens shot was fumbled by Mignolet, Kane was there to tap in the rebound. After that though it was Liverpool who fought level when Alderweireld missed the chance to head away a hopeful long ball Firmino ran in behind and beat Lloris 1 on 1. My thoughts at half time was to get Dier off. He's been leggy late on in games but i have got away with it but this time with Lamela on the bench i decide to switch Wanyama to sitter, Sissoko to BBM and insert Lamela on the left to take up Winger. After 65 minutes Alli isnt getting much out of Emre Can so i give Eriksen a go and bring on Son down the left. With 10 minutes to go, Emre Can goes off for Lucas and its stick or twist on the draw. I change to 4-2-3-1 with wing backs and inside forwards and bring on Trippier for Walker at right back. Again like at United nothing materializes and the match ends in a score draw, 1-1.

To Summarize the month its a win and a draw at home and a loss away but with the teams we have played i can't be too disappointment taking 4 points. With a bit more guile we could have gone unbeaten through August but this is football and injuries do happen, Rose is a massive blow for rotation if anything else but hopefully an opportunity Kyle Walker-Peters takes so i don't have to play Wimmer or Verthongen at left back in the games where Ben Davies needs a rest. September sees us play 3 Premier League games, 2 in the Champions League and the League Cup tie.

September 2016

Burnley v Tottenham
After Transfer Deadline day and an international break, its back to the Premier League for many of the globetrotting Tottenham players. Trippier didn't get called up so played for the U23s in the week as did Nkoudou but only Trippier starts against his old club with Erik Lamela replacing Sissoko as we return to our favoured 4-2-3-1 as Burnley line up in a 4-4-2. I have instructed them to close down less to help settle the defense and stop anything in behind and from out wide. But its a poor start as Andre Gray puts 1 wide of Alderweireld and Bamford steams in to score. 3rd time this season we have conceded first. At half time its aggression and changes the order of the day. Verthongen has damaged his foot and Wimmer replaces him, Dier again looking leggy so Wanyama sits with Sissoko on to run through the middle. Burnley have also changed to a 4-2-3-1 but with 2 players infront of their back 4 so i have gone back to press more to put them on the back foot. After 65 minutes, Nothing has happend so i change to a 4-5-1 to get Alli out of the congested area infront of Burnleys defense and move Wanyama back infront of the back 4. With only 10 minutes left this is worrying, no highlights, no chances, Janssen comes on for Kane to change the role upfront and i try 4-1-4-1 to dominant the ball but still nothing, Its a shock defeat at Turf Moor, 1-0. A very poor showing.

Dortmund v Tottenham (Champions League: Match Day 1)
2 changes in personnel for the visit to Signal Iduna Park. Verthongen's foot will keep him out for 2 weeks so Wimmer is in and Trippier wasted his change so Walker comes back. With Dortmund playing a 4-2-3-1 i am going with 4-4-1-1 with full backs and wingers. Dembele is available for selection for the first time but i decide to leave him out and give him a chance at Bournemouth next game and its his name sake in Dortmund colors who has the first say in the game, He skins Davies and crosses for Weigl who scores. Yet another game started on the back foot. Davies atoned for his error though, slotting in Eriksen down the left who crosses for Kane to head home, 1-1. And now we are moving, Wanyama wins the ball high up the pitch, into Kane, he finds Alli running beyond him who breezes past the center back and smashes past Burki in the Dortmund goal, Tottenham lead inside 20 minutes. After an hour i make the first changes, Wanayama on a booking gets replaced by Sissoko and Nkoudou replaces Eriksen on the left for more pace. With 20 minutes left, Sissoko running us up the middle of the pitch is really having an impact in the game, Janssen replaces Kane. And its not long before another Sissoko charge up field ends up with a pass to Alli who sprays it to Nkoudou out left and a quick cross finds Janssen in the box to poach it home, 3-1. Dortmund would have been proud of that one. A really pleasing goal as all 3 subs involved. That killed the the game, A victory at Dortmund, GET IN!

Midweek sees more bad news for Tottenham, Hugo Lloris out for 5 weeks with a Sports Hernia, I am literally having no luck now with 3 of my back 5 out injured.

Bournemouth v Tottenham
3 changes for this one, Vorm replaces the injured Lloris, Trippier is back as wing back and Dembele replaces Dier. Wimmer keeps his place with Verthongen still out. Its 4-4-2 for Bournemouth and plenty of pace so 4-2-3-1 for us and close down less. Toby Alderweireld takes the captains armband. There is an early first minute scare as Bournemouth hit the bar, they are out the blocks fast to capitalise on Lloris' absense and after 2 minutes Vorm spills 1 for Grabban to tap in. Nothing out the Vorm there, Sorry! ... We trial again. Despite a deep line Bournemouth's pace is outstanding, Wilson finishes a quick break and its 2. At half time Davies is having a shocker, 5.9, Kyle Walker-Peters on the bench. Its going to be a tough debut but i give the young man a chance to earn his Spurs, Into the fire he goes. I put him as a full back and bring on Son as a winger, Alli makes way and Eriksen moves behind Harry Kane. After an away another break from Bournemouth and Wilson makes it 3-0 to Bournemouth, An absolute horror show. We are off the mark after 67 minutes when Lamela springs in down the right and crosses for Kane to head in. Sissoko comes on for the closing stages but its too late to fight back. A real dissapointment for Tottenham but with the injuries and how well Bournemouth broke in the game, a deserved result for them.

Southampton v Tottenham (League Cup 3rd Round)
I have promised changes for the League Cup and i have duly delivered. I had planned to play Pau Lopez in goal but as Vorm has only just come in i decided against a change in goal. Walker is full with Carter-Vickers and Wimmer at center back. Kyle Walker-Peters did okay at left when he came on against Bournemouth, He also starts. A midfield pairing of Carroll and Harry Winks. Sissoko on the right is winger, Onomah on behind Janssen and Nkoudou on the left also as a winger in 4-2-3-1 going with full backs. For the Saints McCarthy is in goal and No Bertrand, Soares or Oriol Romeu but Austin, Tadic and Redmond lead the line in a 4-5-1. Its a quiet first half until Austin gets himself beyond Carter-Vickers and puts Southampton in front. Onomah gets a knock and his replaced early in the second half. With 20 minutes left, Carroll makes way for Harrison as i go to a 4-4-2 diamond in midfield. Winks now infront of the defense. With 10 minutes left Wanyama replaces Winks as Southampton look to defend their lead and go to a 4-1-4-1 i put my wingers forward and put Wanyama at a half back. Walker and Walker-Peters not inverted wingbacks with 2 strikers 2 wingers and a number 10 so push for a goal. The crazy plan doesn't work as there is no pressure on them outside of our area. The ball is hit sweetly by Davis from long range which crashes in on off the crossbar to send Southampton through to the next round with a 2-0 win.

Tottenham v West Ham
This is our first home game after 4 away. We need to make this count but Vertonghen is still only fit enough for 45 minutes so i leave him out again. As for changes Toby returns, Walker and Walker-Peters keep their places at full backs with Lamela and Eriksen coming back in as wingers this time in a 4-4-1-1, Wanyama and Dembele in the middle, Dier is on the bench, Alli is behind Kane. West Ham also lost in the League Cup but at home to Derby and a nervy press conference from Slaven Bilic meant that i could respond with a ''Hes already given my team talk for me'' line which should gee up my players even more for this ever more fierce London Derby. With Steve Perryman also commenting on our underachievement so far in the league i go with a prove the critics wrong team talk pre-match. COYS. After 20 minutes Kane gets a gash to his leg but soldiers on, shortly after a ball that should have been headed away by Wimmer but instead he chose to volley and in doing that i think the referee has deemed it a high foot and its a penalty to West Ham which Mark Noble tooks away to Vorms left. Down again, this is all too familiar. At half time i am not risking Kane any longer with his gashed leg. I shot at my team, send Janssen on and settle in for the second half. After an hour, the ball is recycled after our free kick, finds it way to Janssen who assists Wimmer who gets us level. Good decision to stay forward after that free kick there Kev. Get in. We are all square for all most a good ... minute as Payet finds Reid unmarked from a corner. 2-1 West Ham. Thats enough for them as the ref blows full time, a home defeat. Wimmer made up for his mistake by scoring only to concede shortly after. Nothing is going my war. We also learn after the game Kane is out for 4to10 days and will miss the home against Barcelona. When will it end!!

Tottenham v Barcelona (Champions League: Match Day 2)
Despite hosting Barcelona I am a bit more confident in this one. First game at Wembley for us in the Champions League and Vorm, Walker and Toby are joined by the returning Verthongen from injury and Davies after a rest. Midfield has Eric Dier back with Wanyama. Lamela has Eriksen at number 10 as Alli drops to the bench and Son comes in for his first start. Janssen replaces the injured Kane. Its a 4-4-1-1 with full backs and wingers again, Barcelona line up in a 4-5-1 with the lethal MSN combo upfront. Suarez looks offside after 13 minutes but the flag stays down as he puts it past Vorm. 1-0 to the MSN. At half time i was fairly happy, Suarez was dangerous but Messi and Neymar were kept quiet by Walker and Davies. Second half started well too as Suarez pulled his hammy and went off and then Janssen nodded Walkers cross off the bar. I decide to push on with a 4-2-3-1 for the last half an hour with wing back Trippier coming on with Lamela and Son being inside forwards. Its a bad decision though as Verthongen makes an error on his return leaving a back pass for Vorm very short and Suarez replacement Paco Alcacer gobbles up the chance. The openess of wing backs then brings Messi and Neymar into the game, Messi nets Barcelona's 3rd and there is no way back from that. Defeat again to end a bad September.

To summarize, An absolute **** storm. Losing games, losing players, mistakes, nothing has gone right for us. I need a reaction next month because this can't continue. My scout reports are gaining momentum with Bernardo Silva and William Carvalho now becoming targets for the summer window. Hopefully as we get players back from injury results pick up and we move away from our 15th place in the Premier League after 6 games. The only positive to take from September was the brilliant win away at Dortmund but it was downhill from there.

Ā 

Welcome to FMS TottenhamBoi90,Ā 

Please note on this part of the forum we don't allow pictures as part of the story. Its a text only story forum.Ā 

I would say look at the house rules but they have all been lost in the deep dark spaces of the forum migration, and as of yet I have failed to post an updated version of them with the other Mods.

Feel free to carry on here with the story without the pictures, however if this is not your thing then theĀ FM Career UpdatesĀ part of this forum

Cheers Mark

6 minutes ago, TottenhamBoi90 said:

Ahh okay thats no problem, Mark ill edit my posts so far, should have read the rules...

Brilliant thankyou, To be truthful the rules we have are incomplete as we lost the majority of them when the forum migration happened

Looking forward to your story anyway mate

Hold on!Ā There's only room for one 26-year-old Chris round these parts!Ā :D

I kid, though. This is a promising start and I'm looking forward to seeing how this story develops, even though you are... y'know, managing the enemy. (I'm an Arsenal fan, in case you haven't guessed.)

Don't worry that readers might see a Spurs story as 'poor'. If the story's gripping enough and of a high-enough quality, it doesn't matter whether you're managing Real Madrid or some amateur team in Goodness-Knows-Where - they'll still be following along.

I'd also reiterate Mark's advice that you read the House Rules as soon as they're updated. Also, feel free to have a look at some of the other stories here on FMS. We've got some excellent writers here that you can learn from as you develop yourĀ writing style.

There's plenty of potential in this story, Chris.Ā Keep at it.

Thanks Chris, I had a quick gander at the house rules but wasn't much on there so i will keep an eye out for it although i will have to scrap my youtube idea for big games and great goals. I have took my photos down and have decided to redo the intro in FM tab style template for the Introduction at least and i think it will be good for note taking as i play along. I will check out some of the other stories, Do you have any recommendations or favorites?

October 2016

Stoke v Tottenham
2 changes after midweeks endeavours against Barcelona, Wanyama is banned after picking up 5 yellows so Dembele comes in and Kane returns to replace Janssen. 4-4-1-1 for Stoke so i have gone with a 4-1-4-1, wingers, fullbacks, plenty of running from midfield with the security of Dier infront of Toby and Jan. Its a absolute lacklustre first half but ill take it. Dier is tired so Dembele moves infront of the back four with Sissoko coming on. After some early Spurs pressure second half Stoke change to 4-2-3-1 so i change to 4-4-1-1 so counter act the change. Nkoudou and Janssen came on for the last 20 minutes and they caused some problems but the game ends in a goal less draw. 0-0 some positives to take away from that from a defensive point of view and it stops the rot before the international break most importantly.
The International break brings another big of bad luck for Tottenham as it becomes Toby Alderweirelds turn to get injured. A damaged foot will see him sidelined for 2 weeks with a derby against Chelsea just a 6 days away. 1 positive though as Lloris returns to light training but is likely to miss the Chelsea game.

Tottenham v Chelsea
Chelsea arrive 3rd in the league and after the internationals many Spurs players have come back jaded. Chelsea have gone 3-4-3. 2 DMs 2 wingers 2 wing backs so i have gone with the same 4-1-4-1 we used at Stoke. It was solid definsively then but i have made 5 changes with Trippier, Walker-Peters, Wanyama and Alli all coming in for the jaded Walker, Davies, Dier and Eriksen. Wimmer has been promised more games and with Toby out injured, he partners Jan at center back. TOTTENHAM TAKE THE LEAD. Brilliant work from Harry Kane, he holds it up down the left hand side and Son runs in to the space on the edge created my Kane, the layoff from Kane is perfect, The shot not the best from Son but it squeezes past Courtois to give Tottenham the advantage. Chelsea change to a 3-4-2-1 for the second half and push foward all the players they had infront of the back 3. Only MR and ML out wide with 2 cams so i decide to fight fire with fire and push on to a 4-5-1 myself. Second half we go 2-0 up. Its Son again, brilliant play in the build up from Walker-Peters, He finds Alli who quickly passes into Son with his back to goal on the edge of the box, he comes out to the edge of the box and on his right footĀ  its a much more emphatic finish than he first one, doubles the advtange for Spurs. 20 minutes to go and Lamela is replaced by Nkoudou and Sissoko is on for Dembele. Fabregas gets Chelsea back in it at 2-1 in the 84th minute and i use my last change as Eriksen comes on for 2 goal hero Son Hueng-Min. As the clock ticks on deep into injury time, Chelsea are allover us but we defend our slender lead and as the referee blows his full time whistle, White Hart Lane errupts with noise. A quite brilliant display from Son has earnt the bragging rights for Tottenham. Chelsea players trudge off expecting the worse of Antonio Conte. Its victory for Spurs, YEAAAAAAAAH!

Kobenhavn v Tottenham (Champions League: Match Day 3)
A change to 4-2-3-1 for Spurs with Walker, Davies, Dier and Eriksen coming back into the side. Lloris is back in goal, Wimmer and Jan continue as a center back pairing, Alli plays off Kane. Kobenhavn beat Dortmund in Match Day 2 so are level on points with us going into this. They have gone with 2 infront of the back 4 in a 4-5-1. Nothing happends first half so i revert back to the 4-1-4-1 that's worked so well in the last 2 games. Wing backs and inside forwards wasn't working so its back to full backs and wingers. Carroll replaces Wanyama early in the second half shortly followed by a hunch to play Trippier right wing so Lamela comes off and Dembele on in front of the back 4 for Dier. The game ends 0-0, Its a better point for us with the home game to come. Another clean sheet but it was a boring game.

Tottenham v Leicester
Leicester are flying in the Premier League, They were top before losingĀ  their first game of the season in all competitions 3-0 to Man Utd last time out. They have not beaten Monaco midweek in the Champions League though and bring a 4-1-4-1 to the table at the Lane. I got with the same 4-2-3-1 as i started with in Kobenhavn. 1 change Dembele has been promised games and replaces Wanyama. Toby is still out and Verthongen makes his 125th apperance for Tottenham. We undo Leicester inside half an hour, Walker with the throw to Lamela, turns and crosses to Ben Davies to head in after a late foray into the box, 1-0. 5 minutes later its 2-0 when Danny Simpson handles in the box, Harry Kane scores the penalty against the side where he was on loan at in the Championship.Ā  2-0 Tottenham. Before half time, Matty James is given his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card for a foul on Alli. Leicester opt for a 4-1-3-1 with 10 men but we are cruising in this game, No way back its all Tottenham. Lamela crash a beauty against the crossbar. After that Lamela delivers a free kick which is flicked on by Dier and headed in by Verthongen, 3-0 before the hour, this could be a riot. Trippier, Carroll and Nkoudou come on in straight swaps for Walker, Dier and Eriksen. Tottenham settle for 3-0 and that's now 7 points in 3 games in the league with 2 clean sheets up to 11th.

An update on injury news, Lamela has suffered an abdominal strain and will be out for 3 weeks. Toby Alderweireld is available for selection for next game against Southampton.

Southampton v Tottenham
This is a chance to avenge the League Cup 3rd Round defeat against the Saints back in September. A month on and Saints have just lost in the 4th Round to Championship side Norwich whilst Tottenham have not had a game and will be looking to exploit any tiredness in Saints legs. Toby returns for Spurs for Kevin Wimmer but Lamela's injury means that Sissoko plays wide right. Only one other change Eriksen plays number 10, Son comes in on the left so Dele Alli drops to the bench. Its the same 4-5-1 Southampton played in the Cup against us so i have gone with the 4-2-3-1, hopefully with a stronger line up this time and better form we will win. I use the ''Revenge - GRRRRR'' shout pre-match to get my players up for the game. Did it work? Yes it did after 13 minutes Virgil concedes a penalty for man handling before the cross had even come in. Kane picked himself up to bang the penalty in. Just before half time a half way line free kick from the left sees Eriksen float a gorgeous ball over the top, Southampton keep a high line, Verthongen runs through to head it in. 2-0 at the break, a keep focused team talk to the players goes down well. After an hour its all about keeping legs fresh so Alli replaces Eriksen for 30 minutes. Janssen and Wanyama come on for 20 minutes for Kane and Dier and with his first touch Janssen heads in a Son cross for 3-0. Walker then overlaps and is found by Wanyama, Walker crosses and Son heads in at the back post to make it 4-0. That concludes the scoring, Revenge it sweet we are upto 10th

The Summary for this month is a lot more positive. Starting to play very good football. 4-2-3-1 is getting us goals and we have the sturdy 4-1-4-1 to fall back on. Players are coming back, I have a couple of promises to keep still but not too much to handle. The scouts have also highlighted Nabil Fekir as a possible transfer target. It's also an unbeaten month only conceding 1 goal. Lloris has gone 359 minutes without conceding. I also received the Manager of the Month award so much better all round.

Ā 

November 2016

Tottenham v Kobenhavn (Champions League: Match Day 4)
3 changes for the Match Day 4. Wimmer replaces Toby, Wanyama replaces Dier and Alli replaces Eriksen. 6 players are 1 yellow card away from a ban for Kobenhavn which include all of their back 4 and the 2 sitters in their 4-5-1 or at least that is what the match preview said. Now i have entered the game they are lined up in a 5-3-2 with wing backs. To avoid the element of surprise i make a later change before kick off and go back to the trusty 4-1-4-1 with full backs and wingers and change to close down less because of the 2 strikers. After half an hour i change again and go 4-5-1, They have shocked me with this 5-3-2. Davies is back to wing back and Son inside forward, Walker and Sissoko stay as full back and winger. With 20 minutes to go its a reshuffle again, I got to a narrow 4-1-2-1-2, Dier is on to be half back, Trippier to wing back, Janssen on for Son to go upfront and Sissoko moves central, Davies is also going to bomb forward, no overlaps now with 2 strikers, get it in early. 2 minutes later and Trips finds Janssen with an early cross but the header is back off the bar. Only 10 minutes to go and Sissoko is injured and im all out of changes. Alli drops back from his more advanced role and in the 88th minute he finds Kane with a through ball into the box but Kane's shot comes back off the post which proved to be our last chance of winning the game. Another 0-0 against the Danes and both of us on 5 points in 2nd and 3rd. Barcelona beat Dortmund leaving them bottom with 0 and Barca on top with 12. After the game it was realized that Sissoko's injury was a calf strain will keep him out for 3 weeks. A blow with Lamela already sidelined with an abdonimal strain.

Watford v Tottenham
Watford have lined up with a 5-3-2 WB but i expected it this time from my match preview. In anticipation i have gone with the Narrow Diamond 4-1-2-1-2 i finished the game with at Wembley in the Champions League. Tripper and Davies will bomb forward with Dier half backing Toby and Jan. In front of Dier we have Wanyama ball winning and Dembele as a sitter. Eriksen in at 10 with Son and Kane upfront, Alli on the bench and Janssen. I have got close down less and early crosses on as well. It takes an hour for the scoreline to be broken and i have no idea how its gone in but Watford have the lead from Prodl. A simple set piece which we failed to clear on numerous occassions and have been punished. This narrow diamond isnt work, so i change to what FM calls a 5-1-3-1 WB. Dier joins Toby and Jan at center back. Tripper and Son now wing backs with Wanyama sitting as an achor. Dembele moves to the right wing as inside forward, Eriksen number 10 and Nkoudou on for Davies goes inside forward on the left. Kane leads the line and overlaps are back on. My last roll of the dice comes on 82 minutes when Dembele and Eriksen come off and Janssen plays right wing and Carroll behind Kane. Only 1 winner in this game though, Watford break and Isaac Success crosses for Deeney to make it 2 and it's a missed opportunity to move into the top half and keep the momentum going, We are only 12 points off top after 11 games, no alarm bells just yet, plenty of football to be played.
Its another international break now but the last 1 until march. If we can avoid any more injuries and go on a run now, we could time it just right. We have 3 home games in a row upon our return but they are Man City, Dortmund and Arsenal before Everton away and Barcelona away on the 6th December. The scouts have also come to me with reports for Isco, Jan Oblak and Filipe Anderson. I have also completed my National C license and the board have accepted funding to go on for the National B license which is rather nice indeed. Erik Lamela also returned from injury and went on international duty with Argentina what i wasn't to happy about but he's comeback okay and with minutes under his belt so is fit to play against Man City.

Tottenham v Man City
The international break has left me with a massive fitness crisis especially in defense. I have gone with a 4-4-1-1 with full backs and wingers and made lots of changes. Even Carter-Vickers had a call up to 1 of the America squads so i have gone with Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Wimmer, Walker-Peters was excellent against Chelsea after the last internationals so starts, Lamela back from injury, Carroll gets a rare start, Dembele, Nkoudou gets a first start, Eriksen behind Kane. Man City are third and line up in a 4-5-1. Half an hour into the game and Wimmer is blowing hard after his games for Austria so i whip him off for Wanyama who i over looked as a center back option before the match. A few minutes after and Wanyama heads down a corner from Eriksen and Harry Kane volleys it in to give us a shock lead considering the changes. In stoppage time of the first half Nkoudou puts a lovely ball in which is met on the bounce by Trippier of all people who makes it 2, Tottenham in dreamland. Second half starts brightly too with Carroll pinging a shot off the bar. After 62 minutes i decide to bring on the bromance that is Dier and Alli. Dier for Toby whose tired and Alli for Eriksen for the same reason. Fernandinho is then sent off with 20 minutes to go for a second bookable offense so i push up to 4-2-3-1 keeping the winger and full back combos out wide. With 5 to go, Trippier does a 1-2 with Lamela to get in down the right and crosses for Dele Alli to head in number 3 but we was not done yet as we win a corner 4 minutes later, Lamela takes and Eric Dier pops up to head in number 4. YES FOUR! The bromance continues, What a win! Totally unexpected with the changes i made but definitely worth doing as fresher legs pave the way to victory. Bring it on Dortmund you schlaags.

Tottenham v Dortmund (Champions League: Match Day 5)
This could set up 1 bitch of a game at the Nou Camp if i lose this. I think a draw will see us through but a win will heap the pressure on Kobenhavn. I opt to start with the same 4-4-1-1 i started against City and Trippier and Walker-Peters keep their places but i have rested Toby and brought Jan back in. Midfield is Lamela, Dembele, Dier and Eriksen with Dele Alli in front and Kane as the lone striker. Dortmund are playing a 4-2-3-1 so its full backs and wingers. We went a goal down and 2-1 up in the reverse fixture but on 20 minutes we are ahead when Alli goes down the right to cross for Kane to head in. Shortly after Ginter heads from a free kick against the crossbar, Walker-Peters was booked early on against Reus and now Eriksen is booked as well down that side so something to think about for the young man but he is doing really well for me in big games. News comes through that Kobenhavn are beating Barcelona at home which is jaw dropping to say the least so we have to hold onto this lead second half. The second half starts perfectly for us, Alli finds Dembele who lets rip into the Dortmund postage stamp, 2-0. Before the hour though Kane has a suspected calf strain and has to come off, Janssen takes his place but that's the worse possible person to lose ahead of the North London derby. Janssen's first touches put Eriksen away down the left and he crosses for Alli who heads in to make it 3-0. Goal difference now hands us the advantage against Kobenhavn. Dortmund now change to 5-2-2-1 with wing backs. I go for my 4-1-4-1 and bring on fresh legs in shape of Sissoko and Nkoudou for Lamela and Eriksen. Luis Suarez equalizes for Barcelona in Copenhagen before Sergi Roberto completes the comeback with 10 minutes to go, D.Suarez puts the Spanish 3-1 up soon after and the match ends and its a brilliant European night for Spurs. In to second with a 3 point lead with a match to play and the goal difference will require a 6 goal swing so we should be safely through to the knock out stages if we avoid a spanking at the Nou Camp. Alli will take all the headlines from this one and rightly so with 2 assists and a goal, Harry Kane will be out for 3 weeks so Janssen is going to get a run in the side started with Arsenal next game at home but i am astonished at how well Walker-Peters is doing. Booked in the first 10 minutes against Reus and he didn't give him a sniff in the game. A mature performance, 7.8 WOW!

Tottenham v Arsenal
I can't wait for this one, I line up with the same 4-4-1-1 that has been brilliant in the last 2 games but make 3 changes, Walker comes in for Trippier, Wanyama in for Dembele whose promise of football is green with 8 days to go. And the final change is forced because of Kane's injury, Janssen comes in. If Walker-Peters can handle Reus despite being booked, he can handle The Ox so continues at left back. The derby kicks off in exciting fashion, Coquelin wastes a chance 1 on 1 with Lloris. Lamela then cuts in off the right to test Cech, Alli soon after forces another good save from Cech, its bubbling along nicely. Until Arsenal work a strange set piece into The Ox and he puts it in the top corner, nothing Lloris or Walker-Peters could have done about that. I make no changes at half time, I do not understand why this isn't working, 4-4-1-1 usually beats a 4-2-3-1 except when its Arsenal. Before 70 minutes Son is on for Janssen, Carroll replaces Dier and Eriksen goes off for Nkoudou, Someone do something! Then someone does, Its Wenger, he changes to 4-1-4-1 possibly handing me a lifeline, I grab the opportunity to go 4-2-3-1 and get inside forwards into the game with wing backs. COYS 15 MINUTES!
I do not believe it ... SALVATION! On 85 minutes the ball works its way up to Son with his back to goal, Nkoudou runs by and Son puts him in, Nkoudou finishes coolly past Cech, ITS ONLY 1-1! Hearts are in mouths though on 90 minutes, Vertonghen misses a header, Lucas is clear, hes clear....hes clearly a twat! High over the bar, WEYYYYYY Shout the Tottenham fans behind Lloris' goal. The stadium announcer ''There will be an addition of 2 minutes added, 2 MINUTES'' queuing the roar for Tottenham to get a winner. There is not much time and as it turns out, not enough time. The game ends in a 1-1 draw. It took so long to get level i think if it had been earlier, Arsenal would have buckled.

And that concludes November folks. What a month with some really big games. A slow start messing around trying to find something to play against a 5-3-2 WB systems but after that 3 heroic results smashing Man City and Dortmund and rescuing a late draw against Arsenal. Nkoudou won Young Player of the Month which i congratulated him on. The scouts have also flagged Alisson and Fabinho as possible transfer targets. As for the Premier League table we are now 14 points off top but more importantly only 6 from the Champions League places.

December 2016

***This is going to be a chunky month with how i have been doing my updates. I was up till 3am last night playing through December finished off this afternoon. I am considering some changes to my monthly updates, Any feedback would be most welcome***

Everton v Tottenham
We are next to Everton in the table so important again, not to lose. They are playing a 4-5-1 with 2 in front of the back 4 so i opt for the 4-4-1-1 again and make 3 changes again. Wimmer's promise has now been met so Toby and Jan partner each other once again. Walker-Peters has played 3 big games straight so Davies has come in. Eriksen sits this one out after Nkoudou's heroics against Arsenal and Young player of the month award he starts. Janssen continues to lead the line. Its a bright start, A Lamela corner headed by Dier to Toby who heads against the bar. After half hour Nkoudou is at it again, receiving a pass from Walker he turns and fires in off Stekelenburg. Into the second half and Everton have gone 4-2-3-1 but i change nothing. 2 minutes into it, a quick break from Everton sees Lloris tip Lukaku's shot off the post but it on falls as far as Barkley who levels the scores. After an hour i drop Alli back to midfield and bring on Eriksen for Wanyama. 10 minutes later, Alli carrying a knock smashes 1 over the top and Eriksen is onto it like a flash, He crosses for the back post and that man Georges-Kevin Nkoudou is there to put Tottenham back infront, 2-1. Now i have a problem because Dier and Alli are on their last legs and i need to see this out, I go and get Wimmer off the bench and replace Dier, My thoughts being a ball playing defender is basically the same as deep lying playmaker but positional it costs me as Wimmer is no where to be seen as McCarthy puts a ball past Verthongen for Lukaku to level the game for Everton once again. Lukaku ruins me after that when he gets another chance, Lloris saves but it goes straight back to him and he puts the scousers 3-2 up with 15 minutes to go. I still have 1 sub and everything is falling apart with Janssen so i change him for Son and cross my fingers. AND ITS HAPPENED AGAIN, A late sub, Son fires a shot at the keeper it comes back to him more wide this time so the Korean crosses it which is cleared to Lamela who crosses for Dele Alli at the back post, 3-3! The man who's been limping on a twisted ankle has got us the equalizer and there is still 9 minutes left but it doesn't matter, We only need 2, as Eriksen through balls Son through on goal and he finishes with composure. Super Son the Super Sub and it stays that way until the last kick off the game, Lamela corner shuffled down at the near post by Alderweireld and who is there, SON HUENG-MIN blasts in a 5th to win the game 5-3. What a match to remember. We lead at half time, 1-0, pegged back twice, lost it once and then won it all over again. An epic game.

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw
Tottenham v Man City
Reaction: A home game against City is pretty good as we beat them 4-0 at home last month hopefully we can do it again. As magical as the third round FA Cup draw is, I have 1 question i keep asking myself and that is, Shall i put KWP on Messi at the Nou Camp? WHAT! Are you mad? Of course i am mad, i am a football manager. He had a 7.1 against Chelsea, An 8.1 against Man City but the niggly question is, 6.8 against Arsenal and The Ox scored and i keep thinking, could he have stopped that? The situation the goal was conceded from suggests not but i like this kid, He is a machine at stopping wingers but if i am mad enough to put him on Messi.

Barcelona v Tottenham (Champions League: Match Day 6)
And the team news is in... Barcelona predictably go 4-5-1 and if i remember rightly it was the central area's that let me down last time so instead of the 4-4-1-1 i have gone for 4-1-4-1. Messi, Suarez and Neymar are on it in the Champions League they have 5 wins out of 5. I keep with Janssen upfront, Midfield Lamela, Eriksen, Dembele who still has 18 days on his promise of football and its green anyway but hes a good player and Son out on the left. Wanyama sits, Trips rotates with Walker, Toby and Jan at center back with Lloris in goal and the position left to answer. Was i mad enough? Of course i was, KWP starts, BRING! IT! ON!
To my amazement though i find Rafinha on the right for Barcelona! Suarez and Neymar still play but the magical Argentine isn't even in the squad, He's bruised a rib and misses the game. I now start to feel sorry for KWP because i promised him Messi and they've gave him bloody Rafinha, Never mind, On with the game.
The only action of the first half is in the other game in group C, Kobenhavn lead Dortmund so incredibly if scores stay the same, Dortmund would have lost all 6 games in this group. The second half starts better with both sides creating a few changes but its Super Son who gives us the lead after a brilliant cross field through ball from Lamela puts him in behind Barca's right back and the finish is outstandingly drilled in low across Ter-Stegen. After an hour the Danes now lead the Germans 3-0. I then use all 3 subs and replaced Jan with Dier, Eriksen with Carroll and Sissoko for Lamela. OH MY GOD! You couldn't make this up, We have worked the ball infield from the right as Sissoko finds Janssen who finds Carroll who rolls it on to an onrushing runner, now think of the famous Brazil goal in the 1970 World Cup Final against Italy scored by Carlos Alberto. The onrushing runner is ... Kyle Walker-Peters and he smashes it past Ter-Stegen, I can't believe what i have just witnessed, This is amazing, 2-0. As Kobenhavn make it 4, Suarez crosses to Rafinha whose shot it's the posts but KWP clears it away after taking a touch to control, This is outstanding. Neymar then swings in a free kick and Mathieu heads in for 2-1. I am not feeling Janssen upfront so i put Son up there and Janssen wide left as i have no more subs but it doesn't matter as the referee blows the whistle, Tottenham are through to the first knock-out round of the Champions League, Another wonderful night for Tottenham in Europe, Take a bow KWP, Take a bow.

Just days after Barcelona, Toby Alderweireld is taken ill and will miss the next match. Rose and Kane are back in light training though but its going to take a few weeks for Rose as it was a particularly nasty Achilles injury. We have 5 winnable games to take us past Boxing Day though, Middlesbrough bottom with 1 win all season followed by West Brom, Hull, Sunderland and Swansea. Given we have lost 5 in the league already, 4 of them with no disrespect to lesser sides this is a key stage of our season so i want to target maximum points to put us in contention for the Champions League in the new year.

Middlesbrough v Tottenham
Middlesbrough are understandably cautious of our attack and line up with a 4-5-1 with 2 sitting midfielders. I go for a 4-5-1 as well and make a few changes for the game. Lloris is in goal and Walker, Carter-Vickers replaces Toby whose ill for his first Premier League start, Verthongen and then Davies replaces Walker-Peters, Wanyama sits as Dier is suspended for 5 yellows with Eriksen and Carroll in middle, Sissoko on the right with Lamela taking up left midfield for the first time and Son replaces the disappointing Vincent Janssen upfront. The first half is a cagey affair. Middlesbrough come close a few times but the game is even. Second half a Lamela corner is headed off the post by CCV. After an hour I have had enough, Lamela and Son off for Nkoudou and Janssen. 3 minutes later a free kick from Middlesbrough is headed by Fabio, saved by Lloris but the rebound is dispatched by Bernardo. I go for my 4-2-3-1 going for wingers and full backs and bring on wonderkid KWP at left back. With 8 minutes to go, Wanyama foolishly gets himself sent off, I think my 5 game plan is out the window now on Game 1. Too many changes, too many risks, I was trying to avoid a Champions League hangover but its backfired, Never mind, Back home to face West Brom.

Champions League First Knock-Out Round Draw
Tottenham v PSV
Reaction: A great draw for us as we wasn't seeded because we finished 2nd to Barcelona. In 2 legged encounters i would prefer to start away but you can't have it both ways. Kane is also available for selection for the midweek clash with West Brom which is a welcome boost with Janssen miss firing.

Tottenham v West Brom
West Brom throw a 4-1-4-1 down at WHL. I go back to 4-2-3-1. Toby replaces Jan at center back after illness and Dembele comes in for the suspended Wanyama. Ive got wing backs and inside forwards for this one. Lamela, Sissoko at 10 is an experiement with Son out on the left, Kane returns from a calf strain to lead the line. The game kicks off and it only takes 20 minutes to breakthrough the West Brom rearguard. Carroll finds Walker wide on the right who crosses for Kane to head in and Tottenham are back in business. Toby still feeling the effects of flu goes off before half time for Eric Dier. The second half sees an ex Spur comeback to haunt them as Galloways flick from a free kick is headed in by Nacer Chadli. On the hour Sissoko gets a knock so i move Lamela more central and bring Nkoudou on down the right. Janssen replaces Kane with 15 minutes to go and shortly after that, Lamela finds Carroll on the edge of the box who after a few neat touches, smashes Tottenham back infront. But its not enough as in the 84th minute a Gardner free-kick is headed in by Rondon to take the score to 2-2. I thought we was gonna get a 93rd minute winner as Nkoudou skips past 3 or 4 WBA players and tees up Lamela but he blazed it over the bar. I set out for 6 points by now and so far i only have 1.

Hull v Tottenham
With games coming thick and fast at this stage we could really do with some wins. Hull line up with a 4-1-4-1 despite being at home even though i done it against Chelsea. I stick with 4-2-3-1 making a few more tinker changes. Lloris, Trippiers, Toby, Jan, Davies, Wanyama, Dembele, Lamela, Carroll, Sissoko and Kane. With no Eriksen who i have chose to give a few games off, Ben Davies takes a free kick from the left and strikes the post after 10 minutes. Its another ex Spur coming back to haunt us as Dawson heads in from a corner. 1-0 Hull this is getting silly. I start to think we need Eriksen with Dele Alli still out injured with a twisted ankle sustained against Everton but in the drama of the Nou Camp i have forgotten about it. On that note, Dembele is limping but that doesnt stop him controlling the midfield at this stage, he finds Carroll who feeds Lamela and with a class touch round the corner, Kane is onto it like a flash and buries it into the Hull net for 1-1 and his 10th goal of the season. I am struggling from set pieces as Mbokani flicks on for Curtis Davies this time, 2-1 Hull before half hour. I decide to take off Dembele and bring on Janssen and go 4-4-2 with full backs and wingers. Sissoko is on the right, Carroll and Wanyama in the middle with Lamela on the left, Now with Kane and Janssen upfront. It doesn't take long before a corner is headed down in our favor this time, Toby for Davies who scores past David Marshall who does his best to keep it out. Nkoudou replaces Lamela after an hour and with 18 minutes left, A Davies free kick is flicked by Kane for Verthongen to drive the ball into the net unmarked to complete the turnaround with 4-4-2. But it doesn't last long as another set piece from Hull finds its way into the back of the net. Sam Clucas from the left, Meyler with the head, saved by Lloris and ex Spurs man Ryan Mason, gobbles up the chance to tap in. Another 2 points dropped as the referee blows for full time. Its tricky to play these lower sides near Christmas as they desperately scrap for points. 2 points out of 9 though is by far and a way, Not good enough!

Dembele has bruised ribs and will be out for 5 days, Rose will return in 6 days and Alli within 7 days so by this time next week bar any other injuries i will have a fully fit squad for the first time this season. If the new year doesn't change the luck then we can say goodbye to the Champions League next season. Scouting wise, Iker Munian is available on approach to sign soon so my scouts have been busy gathering as much info as they can for me to decide on him in January, He could make me some good money if nothing else.

Tottenham v Sunderland
Another midweek December game. Another lesser side, Another 4-1-4-1, Another ex Spur on the opposing side by way of Jermain Defoe, Ill need a sniper in the crowd to stop him scoring. I stick with 4-2-3-1 which sees Dier and Eriksen return and Onomah starts for the first time in the league this season, out on the left. Just 36 seconds into the game and Kane puts Onomah in on goal but the youngster blazes over. Our defending set pieces has been better but our we have lost quality going forward in this game. At half time i stick with it and give the team some harsh words. It only takes 10 minutes second half to get the much needed goal. Trippier crosses for Kane whose header is saved but he makes no mistake with the rebound. With 20 minutes to go, Sunderland gift us a 2nd goal when a comedy of errors and a clearance that Lamela charges down puts him 1 on 1 with Mannone and beats him to his left. Son replaces Eriksen and Onomah moves central, Lamela makes way for Nkoudou and Janssen on for Kane. 5 minutes to go and Son gets free down the left who crosses for Janssen to slot home to end a terrible goalless spell for him. Back to winning ways and upto 9th and a clean sheet for Lloris on his 150th appearance.

Swansea v Tottenham
Boxing Day and the table is not looking good, 12 points off the Champions League places. Perryman is on my back again in the media but there is the welcome return of Dele Alli. He starts at number 10 with Eriksen moving left meaning Onomah drops back in midfield next to Dier. Swansea bring a 4-5-1 for this game with 2 sitters. I take the opportunity to go with full backs and wingers in a 4-4-1-1. The first half is drab, The second half starts the same so after an hour i make a triple change, Walker for Trips, Sissoko for Lamela and Son for Alli as Eriksen moves central. The game is a dead rubber, 0-0. Our only highlight is in stoppage time as Onomah blazes over from the edge of the area. Another disappointing 2 points dropped.

With only Man Utd to play in December on New Years Eve i take this opportunity to talk again about these past 5 games which i targeted 15 points from and ended up with 6. It's terrible beyond belief considering the results against Chelsea, Man City, Dortmund and Barcelona. I think we need miracles now. McGee, Miller and Oduwa return back off loan and i have been given 22m for January. My current targets are unlikely to move in January but i do have my eye on a couple of contracts that are expiring. Our Chief Scout Paul Mitchell who is on assignment in the U23 League, His contract is expiring and doesn't want to sign a new one so i have approached George Rooney as a replacement and he will takeover the assignment in the U23 League.

Tottenham v Man Utd
We was unlucky when we played at Old Trafford. Again they go for a 4-4-1-1 formation so again i go for a 4-1-4-1. Walker-Peters comes in for the big game. Onomah misses out after not taking his chance in the side, Dembele takes his place. Hopefully as we have played everyone in the Premier League once now we can better the resultsĀ  as we play them again. Especially the 6 sides we have lost to and the 6 teams we have drawn starting today. We only have 7 wins by New Years Eve so with all this in mind, Lets kick off. 15 minutes in and Dembele fires a shot off the bar and a corner headed to Toby saved by De Gea, good start. Mata has a shot similar to Dembele's but it skims over the bar and ripples over the top of the goal, 0-0 at half time. An hour goes by and its time for a change. Eriksen into the middle and Alli goes off for Son down the left, Sissoko comes on for Dembele as box to box. Shortly after a misplaced backpass from Herrara is seized up by Kane but De Gea makes the save. It's yet another corner that breaks the deadlock, A United one. Smalling heads down for Martial. Gutting moment with only 18 to play. Another narrow defeat against Man Utd who top the table.

Summary time and December started well and has just belly flopped. The 5 games i targeted were a disaster. My targets now are the 12 teams i have not beaten this season. I want to turn the losses into draws and the draws into wins and do the double of the teams i have actually beaten. Hopefully that will be enough for the top 6 now because the Champions League is gone as far as i am concerned. We are performing brilliantly in it this year though, We should get past PSV but i do worry about it because we struggled against Kobenhavn and we struggle against lower sides in the League. If we get to my Quarter-Final target i will be completely ditching our League campaign in favor of going all the way. We are a cup side after all. On that note it's on the January, The FA Cup 3rd Round game against Man City is coming up but first we play Palace just 2 days after the loss at Man Utd.

January 2017

Crystal Palace v Tottenham
As glad all over plays around the ground and the cheerleaders welcome the sides on to the pitch its a 4-2-3-1 for Palace, This game sees Mauricio Pochettino face Tottenham for the first time since i took over Tottenham in July. Only 3 that played against United 2 days ago keep their place in the starting 11 for Spurs and thats Lloris, Toby and Jan. In a 4-4-1-1 Walker and Davies come in and its Son, Sissoko, Wanyama back from his ban and Nkoudou completes midfield with Carroll supporting Vincent Janssen. Wimmer has been promised more matches again but after playing yesterday in the U23s he's only fit enough for the bench. Its a great start, Janssen is tackled but the ball breaks for Nkoudou who dribbles in from the left and finishes right footed into the far bottom corner. Great goal. Davies then whips in a corner and Toby heads in number 2 inside 10 minutes. Good combination play between Son and Walker then finds Sissoko on the edge of the box who blasts in off Mandanda for a 3-0 lead after 19 minutes. Carroll is then clattered but he runs it off and another Davies free kick causes problems after 34 minutes as Verthongen is brought down for a penalty conceded by Martin Kelly. Janssen then takes it but its saved brilliantly by Mandanda, The Dutchmen though is struggling for confidence with only 3 goals all season. The next goal comes after an hour when Janssen puts Son in down the right who crosses for Carroll who finishes Mata-like with his cultered left foot, finesse into the far corner of the Palace goal. Verthongen by now is on 50 per cent condition so Wanyama goes back to center back and Dembele comes on. Zaha then goes down the Palace right and crosses for Benteke to pull 1 back at 4-1. Now in the last 10 minutes, Carroll tees up Sissoko for a drive that comes back off the post but Janssen can't get to the rebound. A 4-1 victory with a rotated side is very nice but with now 3 teams tied at the top of the league on 43 points, our poor total of 30 is miles away.

Our first signing is confirmed and will arrive when his contract expires at Bayern Munich. Julian Green has been fully scouted by Steffen Freund and The American looks a decent prospect who will join the likes of Brad Freidel and Clint Dempsey as American's who have played for Spurs in the past as well as current Spurs prospect Cameron Carter-Vickers.
I have also rejected a 31.5m bid from next opponents Man City for anchor man Eric Dier. There is lots of interest for KWP on loan but he isn't going anywhere despite Danny Rose being available to play now. Jan Verthongen isn't though, He's suffered a back strain and will miss out for the next 4 weeks. Kevin Wimmer is in line to be his replacement after being promised more football late last month.

Tottenham v Man City (FA Cup 3rd Round)
Daniel Levy wants at least a Semi-Final out of this years FA Cup and with our poor league standing i am really aiming to please with this competition. City play a 4-5-1 so i have opted for the 4-4-1-1 we romped home with against Palace and there is returns for most of our key players. Lloris in goal. The defense sees Trippier come in at right back and Dier replaces Toby who has had a busy Christmas schedule. Verthongen is injured so as promised Wimmer comes in but no big game Walker-Peters today as Danny Rose returns from his 5 months out with an Achillies injury. Midfield is Lamela, Alli, Dembele, Son with Eriksen behind Kane. The tunnel interviews are dominated by questions about Jose Mourinho who has placed Wayne Rooney on the transfer list. Despite a first half an hour with nothing of note to report, On 37 minutes that all changes as Dembele picks up the ball deep in midfield, he strongly runs past Delph and slams 1 from 25 yards into the top corner past Claudio Bravo to give us the lead. An outstanding moment of magic there from the Belgian. Son nearly doubles the lead before half time with an effort cutting in from the left which he bends wide of the far post. Tottenham lead at the break. Sissoko and Nkoudou come on with 20 minutes to go for Lamela and Son. Man City are pushing for an equalizer at this point and are playing a high line, Nkoudou gives the ball to Harry Kane on the half way line for the target man to hold up and find a runner from midfield. That runner is Christian Eriksen and Kane puts the ball in behind for the Dane to latch on to which he does and finishes across Claudio Bravo that doubles the lead with 12 minutes to go. Kane then goes off to the applause of the home faithful and Janssen comes enters the fray. Sterling tees up Aguero who hits the post with 5 left on the clock but that's all they can manage in the closing stages. 2 wins out of 2 in 2017, Tottenham beat Man City for the second time this season and progress through to the Fourth Round.

FA Cup 4th Round Draw
Tottenham v Southampton
Reaction: We lost against them in the League Cup albeit with a weaker side. We avenged the defeat with a 4-0 win in the League though and this tie is at White Hart Lane so a good draw for us. I then check how much Mourinho is asking for Wayne Rooney and i am astonished to see a figure of just 17.5m. With our budget it is very achievable but i decide against making a bid for the 31 year old with possible wage demands upwards of 200k per week. Ludwig Augustinsson has also moved to Leicester. A great signing for them and a player i was following very closely but i wasn't prepared to bid over 12m for what would be a 4th left back at the club. I also missed out on Ryan Sessegnon from our affiliate club Fulham as arch rivals Arsenal beat me to his signature. This is really gutting as i had a bid accepted by Fulham for 10m but Sessegnon said he didn't want to discuss personal terms in favor of continuing his development at Fulham, less than a week later he's at Arsenal. Man City have signed Gabriel Jesus and Juan Bernat which is bad news for me as Bayern then snap up my only other target for left back in Jetro Willems. This really is starting to **** me off.

Liverpool v Tottenham
We drew Liverpool last time so this is a fixture i want to turn into a win but it will be difficult as this time its at Anfield. They go 4-5-1 again as i stick with 4-4-1-1. Walker and Toby return as Trippier and Dier drop to the bench. Carroll comes in on left wing as Son moves upfront to replace Harry Kane who has a cold. Not a good start as come neat Liverpool play sees Emre Can find Coutinho with space to shoot on the edge of the box and he does so emphatically. A stern telling off at half-time as we fail to create anything first half, Carroll is subbed off for Nkoudou who quite often makes a good impact. The second half starts promisingly as Eriksen slips in Lamela whose shot comes back off the crossbar and the post before being cleared within seconds of the restart. I give Janssen another go from the bench replacing Son for the last 20 minutes. After Mane skys one and is subbed for Sturridge, i push Nkoudou to inside forward and get Rose as a wing back. Lamela also pushes up but stays as a winger with Walker as full back. Just as it seems i will get nothing out of this game after not deserving to, Eriksen takes a corner in the 92nd minute and Kevin Wimmer heads it in to absolutely rob a draw from the game. I feel like calling the police myself, Outrageous but i'll take it. Unbeaten in 2017 so far as i replicate Augusts results in the reverse fixtures.

After a bit more scouting i decide the transfer listed Kovacic is too pricey at 33.5m. Lamela then catches Kane's cold and will miss the next game. Wimmer has also bruised his head probably from heading the equalizer last time out. It was a good header.

Tottenham v Burnley
At Turf moor we lost 1-0 to Burnley so i want to at least draw this game but at home this is a fixture we should be winning. They go with a 4-2-3-1 with 2 sitters in front of their back 4. I opt to stick with the 4-4-1-1 that has done well for us against Man City in particular. Trippier plays against his old side. Toby is partnered by Eric Dier and Davies is left back. Midfield is Sissoko, Alli and a first start for Harry Winks. Nkoudou on the left with Eriksen off Kane. The first goal does not arrive until 41 minutes and it's another set piece goal conceded by Spurs. Arfield with the ball in and Gudmundsson with the header in off the bar. Winks comes off at half time and Dembele comes on. We get a huge stroke of luck on 49 minutes as Burnley fail to clear a corner, Alli shoots and its deflected into the Burnley net. After an hour CCV and Janssen come on as i re-jig to 4-1-4-1. CCV goes to partner Toby with Dier in front, Nkoudou now on the left as Sissoko goes central. Janssen goes left wing. Eriksen and Alli go off. That doesn't work as Arfield works a shooting chance with 10 minutes left but we get lucky as it comes off the bar. I then move Janssen upfront with Kane and leave the left side free for Davies to attack from left back for the last 10 minutes. That doesn't work either but the game ends 1-1. It's an improvement but we are still well of where we need to be.

Tottenham v Bournemouth
We were terrible against Bournemouth last time and lost 3-0 so i am glad to see them line up in a 4-1-4-1 as a pose to the 4-4-2 loaded with pace like last time, Even KWP struggled against Gradel but now he's got more games behind him i am hoping for a better result today. I go more attacking as we looked blunt against Burnley. 4-2-3-1 but with full backs and wingers. The starting XI is: Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Dier, KWP, Alli, Winks, Sissoko, Lamela, Nkoudou and Janssen. For once an ex Spurs player does us a favor. Charlie Daniels upends Trippier in the box and its a penalty after 16 minutes. Janssen steps forward even though he missed his last one...and he misses again, awful penalty, straight at Federici. Its level at half time, 0-0. The game is crying out for Kane who is on the bench but i really want Janssen to score so i leave him on and make no changes. Just after the hour a long free kick from Lamela is headed off the bar by Walker-Peters which was so unlucky and cleared for a throw. From that throw, Sissoko gets down the right and crosses for Son who heads in, 1-0 Tottenham. I then put Son upfront and bring on Nkoudou down the left wing as there is no need for Harry Kane now. My next change is Dier into midfield for Winks and he comes off to be replaced by Carter-Vickers. We are gifted a 2-0 lead in the 89th minute when Bournemouth's attempt at a clearance ricochets off Son to Nkoudou, Whose first time shot cannons of the keeper and in. That settles it, 3 points and a previous loss turned into a win. Still unbeaten in 2017, nice work, lets build on this.

Tottenham v Southampton (FA Cup 4th Round)
Saints are playing a 4-5-1 as with the other 2 times we've met this season. I have gone for a 4-4-2 this time. Walker and Rose come in at full back, Sissoko and Nkoudou continue on the wings, Wanyama faces his old side and is paired with Carroll in the heart of midfield with Kane and Janssen getting a rare start together. Nothing happens in this game until an hour has gone by. Southampton change to 4-1-4-1 so i make a triple change with Eriksen, Lamela and Alli all coming on. Janssen, Sissoko and Carroll make way. I go 4-2-3-1 with wing backs and inside forwards and set us up to assault the Southampton goal for the last half an hour. This was a tactical battle in my eyes and Claude Puel blinked first but we do nothing in the last half an hour and it goes to a replay but we are in the hat for the 5th round at least. A boring 0-0 draw for the fans to endure im sure.

FA Cup 5th Round Draw
Newcastle or Stoke v Tottenham or Southampton
Reaction: An away tie is the only certainty from this, Newcastle have a 16 point lead in the Championship and are flying. Stoke are 15th in the Premier League so i think i would prefer Stoke if we win our replay of course.

The Summary this month is The transfer window closes with over 350m spent in the Premier League but it has been really frustrating for us. We only secured Julian Green on a free for next season but having Rose back will hopefully be like a new signing and he has done well in the games he's played. It's a good job as well with after missing out on Sessegnon, Augustinsson and Willems. Liverpool also snapped up Saido Berahino on TDD who i had hoped to bring in on a free at the end of the season. Hakan Calhanoglu has also moved from Leverkusen to Bayern. Man Utd lead the way in the Prem with 49 pts, West Ham are 2nd with Man City and Arsenal in 3rd and 4th respectively. The gap to Arsenal is now 11 points. Liverpool are a point behind in 5th, Leicester on 42 points are in 8th, Chelsea have 39 points and we are 8th with 35 points. A point ahead of Everton and Southampton to round off the top 10. At the bottom Middlesbrough have 13 points, Hull are on 18 points and Crystal Palace on 19 points.Ā  They are 5 points adrift of Burnley and West Brom. 11th to 15th is Bournemouth, Watford, Sunderland, Swansea and then Stoke. We are unbeaten in January so we will see how long we can keep that going. Good news for Georges-Kevin Nkoudou who won the Young Player of the Month award for the 2nd time this season.

February 2017

Tottenham v Stoke
We drew 0-0 away with Stoke last time, so again, At home looking for a better result this time. Stoke arrive with a flat 5-4-1. I stick with 4-4-2 for continuity. 2 changes for us as Dier is on a 10 yellow card ban and will miss 2 games, Jan returns from injury. Wimmer partners him at center back as Toby is rested, Looking to do good on Wimmers football promise. Inside the first 10 minutes Nkoudou has a knock but is able to run it off. On 22 minutes a Walker cross is flicked by Sissoko to Kane but he heads straight at Stoke keeper Butland. 5 minutes before the break a Sissoko cross is met at the back post by Nkoudou but his effort is blocked by Glen Johnson which was a goal saving intervention. Half time, 0-0, I decide to go 4-2-3-1 and take off Janssen for Harry Winks. Winks now sits with Wanyama ball winning, Sissoko and Nkoudou keep the width as wingers with Carroll playing off Kane. With 70 on the clock, It doesn't seem to be working so I decide to drop the wingers back to 4-4-1-1 as they were having some joy first half in the 4-4-2. On 81 minutes as Rose stops and clears from a Stoke break the ball lands behinds Stoke's back line and Kane is onside, His powerful low left foot drive is tipped wide by Butland and out for a corner. 3 Walker corners fail to clear the first man and the game looks set to be another goalless draw. Indeed it finishes 0-0 and is yet another 2 points dropped. It keeps us unbeaten in 2017 and after Chelsea losing to Liverpool we are only 3 points away from our fierce rivals in 7th.

Southampton v Tottenham (FA Cup 4th Round Replay)
With so many draws during this unbeaten run we simply cannot afford to draw this one and risk extra time and possibly penalties so with Southampton going 4-5-1 again i go back to 4-4-1-1 and ring the changes. The back 4 and keeper are the same but midfield is Lamela, Alli, Wanyama, Son with Eriksen at number 10. Kane upfront. We have a warning inside 2 minutes as Austin fires a shot wide but we didn't learn from it as January signing Wass gets in to square Austin for a Saints 16 minute lead. Its another telling off at half time for Tottenham but 20 minutes into the second half they find an equalizer as Alli finds Eriksen whose low shot from the edge of the area finds its way in to the net for 1-1. Lamela and Son then depart and Sissoko and Nkoudou come on for fresh legs out wide. With 15 minutes to go an Eriksen free kick hits the bar and is somehow scrambled wide in the melee that insued. Kane has had a very quiet game so with 10 minutes left its Janssen on to try and end his goal draught and with the Saints changing to 4-1-4-1 it sets us up for 4-2-3-1 assault with Sissoko and Nkoudou pushing forward. Nkoudou is on good form so he will be inside forward with Danny Rose changing to wing back.
There is no assault aforementioned assault on the Saints goal in the last 10 minutes but i stick with it into Extra Time. The only action in the first half of Extra Time is that Christian Eriksen breaks his nose but he will soldier on with no more changes available. Another dead half brings us to Penalties.
Janssen has missed his last 2 penalties but he is my best one for penalty taker with Kane going off on 80 minutes. So i make the decision to go with to go with Janssen at number 3 and broken nose Eriksen at 5 hopefully to get an Eriksen winner despite breaking his nose headline tomorrow in the papers. Its going to be left footer up first and vice captain Verthongen to start the shootout. But he misses despite keeping low and right into the corner as Forster makes the save with his rather large wing span. Cedric Soares then steps up and hits his penalty straight at Lloris who doesn't move and after it ricochets off him and comes off the post it then bounces clear. 0-0 after 1 each. Dele Alli then steps up and goes up the middle despite Forster stepping to his right he dives back to push it away. Oh dear. Hojbjerg then scores to give Southampton the advantage. Now for Janssen and i don't feel confident but he buries it into the corner as Forster rooted to the spot, Back level if Southampton miss their next one. Oriol Romeu then lifts one over Lloris who dived the right way to keep Southampton ahead. Sissoko then blasts his spot kick straight at Forster and it's going to be a long way back from here. Austin is the hero for Saints as he dispatches his spot kick to send the home fans into raptures.Not the outcome that i or the Tottenham board wanted but losing on a lottery none the less. It does give us a weekend off before our clash with PSV in the Champions League later this month though but that is the only positive after another domestic cup exit at the hands of Saints is very disappointing.

Eriksen's broken nose leaves me with another hard decision to make. We can use the club doctor and he will miss the clash with high flying rivals West Ham at London Stadium or we can put him in a mask and risk him not being 100 per cent for PSV 10 days later. I go with the club doctor so he misses the Derby with West Ham. At this stage of the season, fitness i feel is key because if he picks up anything against PSV he'll then miss an even bigger derby with Chelsea and possibly a chance to avenge Southampton after that. He'll be fresh for PSV this way and winning the Champions League could be our only shot at silverware now and being in the Champions League next season. Even a Europa League finish will be difficult with our inconsistency.

West Ham v Tottenham
West Ham are as i said before, flying. Sitting in 2nd 2 points off United at the top of the league. They beat us last at White Hart Lane and i am keen to put a dent in their title hopes and avenge the defeat and make up for the fact we went out the FA Cup in midweek so i go with the 4-4-1-1 again with West Ham lining up with 4-2-3-1. We have 4 changes in defense because of extra time and penalties against Southampton. Trippier, Toby, Dier and Walker-Peters all come in. Midfield is Nkoudou on the right with Carroll, Wanyama and Son on the left. Alli is pushed forward to be behind Harry Kane who is starting to raise a few alarms after not scoring for 7 games. Its a terrible start after 9 minutes Zaza goes on a run down the left and crosses for Lanzini to put West Ham 1-0 up. Their lead barely lasts a minute as Alli gives it to Carroll who goes on a fine dribble through the Hammers defense and slides it in past Adrian. 3rd goal of the season for him, That will take some beating though. Lanzini is then at it again with a phenomenal curling effort which beats Lloris in to the far corner to give West Ham a 2-1 scoreline after half hour. Again though we fight back as a Kane backheel finds Alli who tees up Carroll to drill one straight over Adrian in to the roof of the net. 2 for Carroll, that 1 does actually beat the first 1 he scored, Such power and at half time it's 2-2. After 28 second half seconds Nkoudou's cross is met by Kane who hits the post. On 55 minutes, Wanyama has to come off with a potential shin injury and i have left myself a bit short in that area on the bench so Davies comes on to go center back and Dier moves into midfield. We are playing very well second half and with 20 minutes to go, Nkoudou finds Kane again with a cross to the near post but this time Kane scores to put us 3-2 ahead. That will silence the critics and the home fans. Alli has 2 assists but is getting very tired so i go with Sissoko off the bench to come into midfield and i push Carroll forward hoping he can seal an incredible hat trick in the late stages of the game. Sissoko and Dier in central midfield has an immediate impact as Dier finds Sissoko on 1 of his runs forward to support the attack and after a swivel unleashes a fine dipping shot to give us a 2 goal buffer and a 4-2 lead. I thought it was going to end in a 7 goal thriller as Lanzini gets into the box in stoppage time but an heroic sliding tackle from Alderweireld but the ball out for a throw and the referee blows for full time. A fantastic result.

After the match the media suggest i got under Slaven's skin with my pre-match comments about his lack of confidence given us a goal advantage. We are now unbeaten in our last 5 away games in the Premier League but it's not all good news as Wanyama's injury turns out to be a torn calf and that will see him out for the rest of the season. We do have decent cover in midfield so i leave Winks in the U23's who has been unimpressive in his 2 starts and 2 sub appearances so far in the league. Being out of the FA Cup has now given us a 10 day and much needed rest before the Champions League returns with PSV. Jan Verthongen has also been given a new contract of 65k p/w which will keep him at Tottenham until 2020.

Tottenham v PSV (Champions League First Knock-Out Round First Leg)
Its back to Wembley for the 4th time this season. I have handed Michel Vorm a rare start in goal who last appeared in our 2-1 victory of Chelsea back in October. He has played 1 game in the Champions League already this season but that was in the 3-0 home defeat to Barcelona in September. Walker, Toby, Wimmer, Davies, Lamela, Carroll, Dembele, Nkoudou, Eriksen and Kane complete the 4-4-1-1 as PSV go with 4-5-1. With no Lloris or Verthongen in the side Toby gets the armband for only the 2nd time this season. It would be nice to get this game won and won well to give PSV an uphill battle in the 2nd leg but hopes of that are dealt a cruel blow after only 18 minutes when Kane has to come off with a suspected foot injury. Janssen comes on who i hope has gained a little confidence from scoring in the penalty shootout against Southampton. We do take the lead on 23 minutes though when a Lamela shot is turned into his own net by PSV defender Schwaab. Dembele then doubles the lead a minute later heading in an Eriksen free kick. At half time i think with 2 Dutchmen (Vorm, Janssen) and 3 ex Ajax players (Toby, Eriksen and Jan who isn't playing) in our ranks we should get through this fairly easily so i tell the team to keep focused being 2-0 up and hopefully build on the lead before our trip to Eindhoven. With 20 minutes left i take off the tiring Dembele and bring on Dele Alli to do a deep role for the rest of the game and it looks like a move that pays off when 6 minutes later he pings a few passes round midfield before Eriksen goes long to Janssen, Its cut out but Dele picks up the lose ball and finds Carroll square just inside the PSV half who passes to Eriksen who completes a perfect 3rd man running triangle for Vincent Janssen who runs in to score. 3-0, another goal draught of his comes to an end and we look firmly in control. With 10 minutes to go, PSV changing to 4-1-4-1 is the Que to push the wingers up to 4-2-3-1 and when Lamela finds Dele on the edge to smash in number 4, I relax back in my chair and focus my mind on Chelsea. 4-0 puts us in a commanding position for the 2nd leg and should give us lots of confidence for next match.

Nightmare news after the game, Kane has a broken toe and will miss 8 weeks. Its yet more rotten luck with injuries for us this season, The most key man and the most key stage of the season. I can't believe it. Vorm also picks up an Achilles injury before the Chelsea game and he will miss the rest of the season. Pau Lopez will cover Lloris who is first choice anyway. In other news Wimmer's promise has been completed with him now happy, Dembele wants more games and with Wanyama out that should not be a problem.

Chelsea v Tottenham
Like us, Chelsea are under performing this season and find themselves 7th. We beat them 2-1 at the Lane and we can possibly leapfrog them in the table with a win. Again they go with 3 center backs with wing backs and 2 sitting midfielders leaving Costa, Hazard and January signing Luan up field. Last time we met 4-1-4-1 was key in our victory and are going with that again today. Our starters this game are: Lloris, Walker, Wimmer, Verthongen, Walker-Peters, Dier sits with Lamela, Alli, Dembele and Eriksen in midfield, Kane is out so Vincent Janssen is on his own up top. Janssen has the chance to score in back to back games for the first time this season and he almost does after 10 minutes his shot comes back off the bar. Eriksen gives us the lead after 21 minutes with a superb free kick into the top corner. Like with reverse fixture Conte changes to 3-4-2-1 for the second half so i am going to sit Dembele as well and push Alli further forward and go 4-2-3-1 deep. Dembele will be a ball winning support next to Eric Dier the anchor man. Chelsea find an equalizer when they recycle a corner, Fabregas crosses for Matic to head in. Janssen has picked up a bruised thigh but is able to continue. Dembele then gets himself in the box to finish off a move which was assisted by Eriksen crossing from the left. 20 minutes to go and Lamela is substituted for Sissoko. With no threat down Kyle Walker-Peters side and his legs starting to tire i do a straight swap for Davies to see out the last 10 minutes. And see it out we do giving us the double over Chelsea this season. Up to 7th which is the highest we have been in the table since the opening day win at Palace put us 3rd.

After the match, Conte is sacked and Janssen's bruised thigh is confirmed to keep him out for 6 days. Son is in line for next match at home to Southampton, Shayon Harrison has been called from the U23s to take a spot on the bench. Leicester lose to table toppers Man Utd on the sunday so the gap between us and Leicester in 6th is now 7 points. If we can overcome that, Man City Liverpool and now in 3rd placed West Ham are only 5 points ahead. Arsenal are 2nd a point further ahead points and United top on a point further ahead again so reasons to be cheerful as February comes to a close. We are going to miss Kane throughout the next 7 weeks or so i am not going to say Champions League next year just yet but if we can overcome the gap to Leicester its a very possible scenario.

March 2017

Tottenham v Southampton
Claude Puel has beaten us in both cups but we won the League game away so will be looking to win this at home. He has also questioned my methods and my ability in the media pre-match so its a Keegan, love it if we beat them, love it game today. Saints rarely change from there 4-5-1 and they are go with it again today, so its 4-2-3-1 as we are at home. The opportunity to play wing backs as lead me to pick Trippier, Wimmer, Verthongen and Rose in defense. Midfield has Dembele with Dier and Lamela, Alli and Eriksen support Premier League debutant Shayon Harrison. The speedy poacher came on as a sub against Southampton in the League Cup defeat but gets a chance to start this time round. Son is on the bench as is Janssen despite still only being in light training. Kane is injured and i don't expect him to return till we played Arsenal away which is 5 games from the end of the season so a big chance for Shayon in this one. We are so so lucky not to be behind after 16 minutes when Fonte has 10 yards of space at the back post from a Ward-Prowse free kick but Fonte heads against the bar. Lamela hits the post from a Dembele cross before half time but at the break its 0-0. The second half kicks off with Redmond breaking down the right and crossing for Tadic to tap Southampton 1-0 ahead after 29 seconds. Trippier then concedes a penalty on 49 minutes and Tadic scores from the spot. 2-0 down forces me to fall back to 4-4-1-1. We can't keep being ran by Redmonds pace. Harrison comes off with Dier and Carroll and Son come on. Saints drop back to their solid 4-1-4-1 which screwed us in the FA Cup and the game passes by quicker than you can blink. I think we have found our bogey side. First League defeat of 2017. Let's hope this doesn't trigger another collaspe like back in December.

We now have a 12 day break with no FA Cup before the second leg with PSV. I failed to notice that Leicester lost in the early kick off before we played Southampton so it was a chance to move within 4 points off 5th but we remain 7 points behind and Everton won to jump above us as we drop to 8th. We also have a new intake of youth players. Barry Corbett is the pick of the bunch who is a right back with 3 and a half star potential and Karl Buckle, a central midfielder with 3 star potential. Tottenham U18s beat the Youth Candidates 2-0 with 2 goals from Kazaiah Sterling. I also complete my National B license and get the funding to go and do my National A license which is really good, Levy must like what i am doing to fund a 3rd course this season. I am still yet to be offered a new deal though which expires at the end of the season. Michel Vorm has decided to hang up his gloves and retire before next match with PSV. He is currently facing 5 months out with damaged achilles tendon so we have recieved a 450k payment from our insurance and i have gave him an U18s goalkeeping coach role. The 33 year old Dutchmen has been good cover for Lloris since arriving from Swansea 3 seasons ago but has only notched up 9 appearances. His coaching stats are really good with 16 goalkeeping and 14 working with youngsters. He also has 14 adaptability and determination with 13 level of discipline. In other news, Leicester have crashed out the FA Cup and lost in the Premier League to Bournemouth and face us in our next league game so if we win that and the game in hand it could see us into 5th place in the league.

PSV v Tottenham (Champions League First Knock-Out Round 2nd Leg)
We lead 4-0 on aggregate so this game is fairly hassle free. PSV are going 4-1-4-1 in a hope to not concede many more. I stick with 4-2-3-1. Walker-Peters plays right this time with a more attacking role. Alderweireld and Wimmer at center back with Rose making his first Champions League appearance after missing the group stage through injury and wasn't selected in the first leg. Carroll and Dier are in midfield with Sissoko, Alli and Nkoudou ahead of them. Son gets a chance upfront. After a boring first half, I use the opportunity to try Trippier as our advanced right winger and Sissoko makes way. After 61 minutes, Alli puts Son 1 on 1 but Zoet makes the save for PSV. With half an hour to play, Alli is booked and not worth risking any longer with Leicester next so Carroll moves forward behind the striker and Dembele comes on. Suprisingly with 20 minutes left, PSV change to 4-3-1-2 so i scale back to a 4-1-4-1 but just as the changes are being communicated onto the pitch, Arias hits an early cross come shot into the box which no PSV player attacks but Lloris panics or doesn't see it till late because he tips it into his own net. A complete howler, I do not know how or what just happended but its in and PSV lead 1-0 on the night but still trial 4-1 on aggregate. 2 minutes later, Jurgen Locadia's pace gets him on to a hopeful punt upfield from PSV and its now 4-2 on aggregate. Strange things are happening in this game, 1 more and i will worry. The game ends 2-0 though and we go through 4-2 on aggregate, That was a really strange game, I hope this was just complacency and not a hang over from the Southampton game. I warn the squad about it being a let off, If they had been more positive from the outset they could have really worried us.

After the game we get 5m for winning that tie and that is fairly welcome as our budget was down to 54m before that. That's a 40m loss from where we were in July and yet we have only added some staff albeit a lot of staff. Alli's booking was his third in the Champions League and he will miss the first leg of the quarter final which is drawn in a couple of days time.

Champions League Quarter-Final Draw
Tottenham v Arsenal
Reaction: WOW! What a draw and a spectacle this will be. North London rivals Arsenal in the Quarter-Finals. I had set myself a target of the Quarter-Finals before the season had started but we can't go out to The Gooners. I can not wait for these games. In other news, Son has gone on international duty early and misses the game with Leicester, Janssen is back from injury.

Leicester v Tottenham
We beat Leicester's 4-4-2 with ease earlier in the season 3-0. Like last time we go 4-2-3-1 and close down less. I really want to win this game as Leicester is my home town and they beat us to the League title last season before this FM save started. It also would mean alot to the league this year as we are currently 7 behind them in 5th and if we win this game it would cut that lead to 4 with a game in hand. Selection wise i have gone with Trippier, Dier, Verthongen, Rose, Carroll, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Harrison gets a second league start in a row. Son is away with Korea but Janssen is on the bench as are Winks and Onomah. Drinkwater keeps winning the ball from Dele Alli in the early stages and its too our cost as he finds Mahrez who slips in Algerian teammate Slimani to bang Leicester ahead. We do get level before the break though as Dembele finds a pass to Lamela after 34 minutes and Lamela shoots low into the Leicester net from the edge of the area. Just before the hour, Mahrez sends Rose on a wild goose chase down the wing before passing the ball back to Simpson who finds Musa with a cross which trickles back across goal and into the net and it's 2-1 Leicester. Harrison is having a shocker. The young man is getting bullied by the big Leicester center backs so Janssen comes on after that goal and Onomah replaces Carroll. Alli is being kicked out of this game so i drop him back in midfield, Onomah goes left with Eriksen down the middle, Winks comes on to replace Dembele. It seems Leicester have learnt from Bournemouth that pace left right and center is the key to beating us. Musa beats Trippier down the wing and January signing Muto makes it 3-1. This looks like being a 10 point gap now which effectively rights this season off but for the Champions League. The game ends in a 3-1 defeat, 3 losses now back to back, I am absolutely livid and ruing given youth such a chance this year.

As the players head off for international duty, i reflect on a terrible March that has seen us lose all 3 games we have played. We are now a massive 21 points off top, 17 points off Champions League and 10 points off Europa League. Next month is packed with games, Man City at The Etihad before our game in hand against Watford at home midweek and Everton at home just after. We then play both legs in the Champions League against Arsenal with Middlesbrough at home in between before Arsenal again in the Premier League. West Brom away then completes the month so it's going to be tough. I am considering picking an 11 to face Arsenal and leaving them out for the 3 games in the run up to it to give us our best chance at getting through. Looking at their fixtures, they are competiting for a treble with United at home and Liverpool away for the Premier League title. They have Bournemouth away in between our matches in the Champions League followed by an FA Cup Semi-Final with Crystal Palace before we play in the league. West Ham at home at the end of April. With that in mind i think it's worth righting off the Premier League this year but if we lose, I probably risk my job. I think it will be a risk worth taking. We have possibly 24 internationals as well so they will most likely come back tired so i can't play them 3 more times before a massive 2 games in the Champions League in the hope i make up ground in the league, As far as i am concerned the damage is done there and this is the only card i can play to give us the best chance of Champions League again next year and obviously the best chance at Silverware this year. Its going to take a miracle either way but after beating Barcelona and Dortmund twice i think we can do it if we manage it properly. It's make or break time now.

April 2017

Man City v Tottenham
True to my word, The rest of this season means nothing to us, Its dead to me. Man City's 4-5-1 will win this game. We are in a 4-4-1-1 and lineup as follows: Lopez, Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, KWP, Sissoko, Carroll, Winks, Nkoudou, Onomah, Janssen. We hold for 24 minutes before Sane finds Silva to tap in City 1-0. January signing Gabriel Jesus makes it 2-0 after 26 minutes. After 30 minutes though, I am shocked, Trippiers finds Onomah with a cross and he finishes well, Its 2-1. Just after that goal though, Silva slides in January signing Jorrit Hendrix who makes it 3-1. I want a good look at loanee Lopez during this week as a possible transfer target in the summer with Vorm now retired but that was horrible for the young Spaniard, Straight at him. Stones has free roam in this game, I think he's playing right back but he's attacking our goal and finds Gabriel Jesus to tap it in for 4-1 at half time. Rose and Harrison replace KWP and Janssen with 20 minutes to go. Rose creates a chance for Carroll with 10 minutes left but Carroll is denied twice by Claudio Bravo who then launches the ball over the top and Gabriel Jesus is in for hat-trick but drags his shot wide. Great goalkeeping. We draw the second half 0-0 though which shows the young players have decent character. Arsenal beat United 4-1, Which must have took a huge effort.

Tottenham v Watford
We face the difficult Mazzari 5-3-2 WB system again today so i have gone for 4-1-4-1 but don't make any changes to the side. This should be good experience for the young players. I have instructed to close down less as well with them having 2 strikers. Despite a quiet first half Janmaat crosses for Ighalo who volleys in just after the restart. Harrison, Son and Rose come on with 15 minutes to go, Janssen, Nkoudou and KWP make way. Amazingly that forces an equalizer. An Onomah free-kick is glanced on by Carter-Vickers and it finds its way into the far bottom corner. The game ends with a very credible draw for the young players. Onomah now has a goal and an assist in April and Carter-Vickers has his first Tottenham goal.

Tottenham v Everton
With 1 eye on a promise i made to Dembele for football i make 1 change to the side that drew with Watford, Carroll makes way for the Belgian. Its the same 4-1-4-1 system to face Evertons 4-5-1 with 2 DMs. Koeman is under pressure and needs a win. After 22 minutes we take the lead. Sissoko gives it Dembele who runs at the Everton defense, gets into the box and finishes nicely. Everton go 4-2-3-1 for the 2nd half so i want to see a disciplined defensively display 2nd half to protect the lead the young players have done really well so far. McCarthy hits the bar after 4 minutes but its cleared away with our lead still intact but it only holds out till 54 minutes when Barkley finds Enner Valencia who beats Lopez who went down to early for that one. With match sharpness in mind for the Arsenal game, Lamela and Walker come on, Trippier and Sissoko make way. Janssen finds the inform Onomah on 57 minutes who runs into box and cuts it back for Nkoudou to tap in for an incredible 2-1 lead. These young players are doing really really well. I get abit more brave after that and move 4-4-1-1 with Carroll taking over from Winks in central midfield. Cleverley hits a shot against the post with Lopez beaten but its cleared away and we still lead with 20 minutes to go. Everton get level on 77 minutes when Baines corner is flicked by Barkley, Funes Mori hits the bar and Enner Valencia taps in for his 2nd of the game. It stays level until the clock ticks over the 90 minutes and then we let ourselves down. Baines free kick, Funes Mori unmarked to score the winner at the back post. A learning curve for the youngsters but going forward we did well. Arsenal also lost 3-2 to Liverpool.

After the game, predictably the board request a meeting as to discuss why we lost. I said it was necessary to rest players and it concluded with me promising a good result next match. Arsenal in the Champions League now is now all i have left. If we don't win, i'll invariably be sacked so i plan a meeting with my players to ensure their heads don't drop. I get a fantastic reaction and now we move on to the next game. Following that meeting a day before we play Arsenal, The players come to me this time to request a meeting and they are unhappy with my management, I opt for playing the youngsters excuse as it will benefit in the long run which also gets a fantastic reaction except for Wanyama. The news of Wanyama finds its way into the headlines as a row and that he faces an uncertain future. Not helpful Victor. We started at Home to PSV and struggled away and i said i preffered starting away but this time is different, Luckily this game is at home, i have rested players and this is pure and simple, win or bust.

Tottenham v Arsenal (Champions League Quarter-Final First Leg)
Here we are then, Judgement Day. I have put my Tottenham career on the line for this game. Kane has made an heroic return from injury but only fit enough for the bench. We robbed a 1-1 draw at home to Arsenal in the league. Arsenal played a 4-2-3-1 that day and have done so again. We equalised late through Kevin Wimmer's goal when they changed to a 4-1-4-1 so i am hoping for a quick start and maybe scare them into the change at half time. We go with 4-4-1-1, This could be my last team line up: Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Lamela, Dier, Dembele, Son, Eriksen, Janssen. No Dele Alli today because he is banned. Football Manager doesn't get better than this...
6 minutes in and Janssen fails to notice Lamela's run and our attack breaks down, Arsenal race upfield like red arrows and Santi forces Lloris into a world class save. Alexis Sanchez pops up after 36 minutes and fizzes a ball across the box for Oxlade-Chamberlain to tap in. At half time i have had enough of Janssen, chance after chance i give him to play and he fails to take it. Son moves upfront an Nkoudou comes on who is being touted for the Young Player of the Season award. Santi hits the bar with a free-kick just after half time. I am expecting these to tire this half, fighting for the treble i imagine is tough on legs. As Santi goes off for Coquelin, Sissoko is on to replace Dembele. Giroud also comes on for Lucas and he nearly scores but he heads Ozil's free kick against the bar. With 18 minutes to go, Wenger does it again, 4-1-4-1. I go 4-2-3-1, Lets do this...But i can't believe it, The game flashes by and the game ends in a 1-0 Arsenal victory. Kane wasn't fit enough to play, I cudn't do it. I am in deep deep **** now...

BREAKING NEWS: TOTTENHAM SACKING
Daniel Levy has announced he has sacked the Tottenham manager with immediate effect after a poor Premier League campaign and a Champions League quarter final defeat to Arsenal in the first leg. They have also been knocked out by Southampton in both the League Cup and the FA Cup. Rafa Benitez, Diego Simeone and Roberto Mancini are favourites to take the next permanent role as Jesus Perez prepares for Middlesbrough this weekend before the return leg with Arsenal next Wednesday in Champions League.

Archived