Franky's TOTAL DOMINATION Tactic for FM 17 (17.2)

My laptop is not the quickest but I've just moved into January 2017 and I'm top of the Premiership (as MAn Utd), 5 points clear of Arsenal.

Won my Europa League group and due to face Spurs in the semi-final of the.

I'm playing Franky's version with Pogrebnik's corner routines.

Zlatan is a beast with 20 goals and 8 assists from 21 matches. 7.79 ave rating too. Schneiderlein has a 7.26 rating but he's been crucial in front on theĀ  back four.

Even Rashford has 7 goals from 17 matches and he's only started 3 matches.

Enjoying the game so thanks guys for the help and advice and thanks Franky.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Franky - round of applause, the updated tactic is simply unreal. I've enjoyed my best start and the goal conversion rate is unreal. Played 6, won 6 scored 20 conceded only 3 in the league. Lost 1-0 over two legs to a much stronger Juventus, however we played with the defensive mentality and didnt register a single shot on target. Not sure if this was due to the team we were playing or the mentality. I might try with counter the next time we face a stronger opponent.

I've found the tactic to be largely very good, but every season my team has a stretch of games (about 10) where we really struggle. Eg I can go about 5 games without conceding a goal and then concede 10 goals in the space of just 3 games. Bit weird.Ā 

I tried this tactic a bit, not much, and I was thinking maybe when you switch to counter set your wingĀ backs to support, and when you go defend set them to defend, and when you go control have them on attack.

Attack = do what you want to go forward

Defend = Sit back and do not take risk

Counter = Play as a team unit and work in tandem

I feel that in the Wing back positions are so vital in this formation, they have a big bearing over all the team in how they push forward or sit back. Slap dash settings for them could hinder the entire tactic?

Ā 

Tried the tactic on my Brentford save in the Championship and now gone 7 games unbeaten, including a nice 5-0 away win at Nottingham Forest.Ā  Excellent tactic seems to work very well with my squad and defensively seem pretty tight.

Thanks, this is the first tactic I've used outside my own for a while, and it's so far working brilliantly.

To add to my earlier post, I have completed season one and won the Premier League and Europa League using the Total Domination Tactic v1.2.

Perfect for Man Utd so big thanks Franky.

Zlatan ended up with 39 goals and 15 assists from 47 matches (44 starts, 2 as sub) - 7.52 average rating too.

I've looked at your newer tactics but for now (at least until Zlatan retires) I'm sticking to this one.

Cheers, Duds

On ā€Ž04ā€Ž/ā€Ž01ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 12:39, Wiltshire_Bee said:

Tried the tactic on my Brentford save in the Championship and now gone 7 games unbeaten, including a nice 5-0 away win at Nottingham Forest.Ā  Excellent tactic seems to work very well with my squad and defensively seem pretty tight.

Thanks, this is the first tactic I've used outside my own for a while, and it's so far working brilliantly.

ended winning run with 10 straight wins, but then ended season with 4 straight defeats. didn't change anything, but tactic worked like clockwork, then couldn't win remaining 4 games and seemed to struggle?.

EDIT: I've removed TD v1.3 because I found it to be somewhat erratic. Some games the team would just destroy the opposition but occasionally implode from a defensive viewpoint. This was due to the 'be more expressive' team instruction that was active. I've gone back to v1.2 as my tactic of choice.Ā I'm not going to have a tactic available to others that I'm not happy to use long term myself.

Ā 

IĀ“m using TD 1.3. at home and Phantom away and itĀ“s still going well for me. IĀ“m in third season in november and i lost only 1 game this season and it was unlucky ( i was the better team ) defeat against Tottenham. Right now iĀ“m first in PL and first in my group of CL.Ā  Defence is almost the same as first two seasons ( bulletproof!) but attack is better with this 2 tactics combination. :)

Ā 

On 07/01/2017 at 22:58, Franky. said:

I've updated TOTAL DOMINATION to v1.3. It's nowĀ higher scoring without taking anything away defensively. I won't go into detail just yet but if you want to try it, it's available to downloadĀ from the original post and also from this one.Ā I would like some feedback before I remove v1.2...... thanks in advanceĀ :)

One thing to do. If you have quick inside forwards with decent dribbling and crossing ability, train them as wingers on the opposite flank. So for example, Memphis Depay is an AML inside forward but he's quick and is a good dribbler and crosser, thereforeĀ youĀ train him as a right winger. He'll get trained up very quickly and beĀ more effective than he is as an inside forward. For slow inside forwards like Juan Mata, you leave them as they are. v1.3 favours wingers but out of necessity, slow players like Mata can be used as IFs.

Do NOT use inverted foot wingers. Right footed wingers on right flank and left footed wingers on left flank only.

TACTIC USAGE..............

Favourites (home and away) - Control

Opponent is favourite (home and away) - Counter

Do not change mentality until half-time or if you go two goals down, whichever happens first. If leading at half-time on control, drop to standard to minimize risk of a comeback. If counter, keep it there or drop to contain with both wing backs on defend duty if opponent is strong.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM v1.3

To test v1.3,Ā I'veĀ rebooted my Wycombe seasonĀ (4th season in the Premier League 2023/24 with aĀ media prediction of 7th). Only 4 league games in and already we've beaten Spurs 6-0 at home and Man Utd 4-1 away. The screenshot below is from my United test game vsĀ Arsenal, first 34 minutes. Ignore Arsenal's goals as they were just fortunate and it's not indicative of the defensive side of things. The important thing to note is that I've played this test game well over a hundred times when developing a tactic and have only ever scored 7 goals once before. Here it's been achieved in the first 34 minutes!!!......Ā Your long shooters will love you and wingers/IFs will regularly haveĀ amazing gamesĀ :D

7_3_vs_Arsenal_within_34_minutes.jpgimage upload no registration

Franky's TOTAL DOMINATION Tactic v1.3 for FM 17 (17.2)_E18B9111-07AF-43D6-8DC7-C9DBA059719C.fmf

what PPM's would you give to the wide men now? would the wingers now hug the line or get into the box when possible?

Might give v1.3 a go, despite the fact I'm on a 77 match unbeaten run in the league!! I started the run with v1.2 and started using Phantom half way through. Should be alright given the fact there pretty much the same base?

Ā 

Franky, would F9 as the striker be any good for v1.3?

I've removed v1.3 because I found it to be somewhat erratic. Some games the team would just destroy the opposition but occasionally implode from a defensive viewpoint. This was due to the 'be more expressive' team instruction that was active. I've gone back to v1.2 as my tactic of choice as it's far more consistent.Ā I'm not going to have a tactic available to others that I'm not happy to use long term myself...... as for the questions regarding v1.3, they're obviously no longer relevant so don't need answering.

Also, NEW TACTICAL ADVICE:Ā Any inside forwards that haveĀ 'shoots from distance' as a PPM, train themĀ upĀ asĀ wingers on the opposite flank. Do NOT use them as IFs as they cut inside and shoot from ridiculous positions every time, even though a teamĀ mate might beĀ open forĀ a tap in.Ā Memphis Depay is a perfect example. Extremely wasteful as an IF on the left flank but an excellent winger on the right. Also, do NOT use them as inverted foot wingers so Memphis for example should be trained up and used ONLY as a right winger. However, if such a player doesn't have the attributes required for a winger (pace/acceleration/dribbling/crossing) then just sell him as he's not worth keeping. You want your wide men to be productive, not wasteful.

Also, having used the tactic now for several seasons, I find that wingers work better than inside forwards. They stretch the opponent's defence more and that creates moreĀ spaceĀ in the middle to exploit. They are also far less wasteful than IFs because being out wide, long shots are not really an option. Needless to say, this reduces the amount of wastefulĀ long shots. All in all, I believe you will score more goals with wingers than with inside forwards. However, this doesn't mean IFs should be neglected altogether. If you have a player like Juan Mata then he'll still do a good job as an IF.

Original post has been updated with the above info. I've actually justĀ re-uploaded the tactic with wingers instead of inside forwards. That's the only change. Latest version is 1.2aĀ 

Thanks, Franky. And, yes, I agree with you on wingers v IF, especially if theĀ box-to-to-box has his 'gets into opposition area' instruction it just makes it more congested for the IF cutting in. Conversely, the extra man in the box is ideal for a winger's cross, especially if the DefForward has been drawn out of the box during the build-up.Ā 

1 hour ago, Student Boy said:

i am trying to find a good tactic for Non-League football but think this might be a bit too advanced for there players.Ā  Have you tried it with non-league?

Yes, I've only played non-league Ā - Poole Town. We were favourites to be relegated from Conference South and finished 15th in the first season (I only started using this tactic in January)Ā and then finished third and were promoted via the playoffs.

Now we are in the VNL - favourites to go down but exactly halfway through, we are 6th - three points from second.

The keys are in following Frankie's player requirement instructions particularly with regard to workrate of Fbacks and DM, CMs - no lower than 8 for this league. Get a consistentĀ mix of pace, dribbling, crossing for FBs and wingers - try for at least 6 in each. If a player has 6 for each, you are better signing him than a guy who has pace 10, dribbling 9, crossing 3. I use a Defensive striker they are easier to find - just make sure their strength is 7+.

For all, make sure they have positional suitabilities of at least 7. Be thorough about trying to make sure each player learns the traits outlined in this thread.

I've had FAR more success playing counter regardless of whether we are home or away, favourite or outside.

You can get scouts with JPA and JPP of 13/14.

I hope this helps - I'd very much encourage you to use this tactic.

Bit strange how you can fluctuate between inside forwards and wingers when there isĀ a huge gap between roles?, for example -Ā If you can set an Inside FWDĀ like Depay to a winger and he'sĀ more effective then surly the match engine is truly broken?.

12 hours ago, Hulkster79 said:

Bit strange how you can fluctuate between inside forwards and wingers when there isĀ a huge gap between roles?, for example -Ā If you can set an Inside FWDĀ like Depay to a winger and he'sĀ more effective then surly the match engine is truly broken?.

I have far less success using wingers as IFs - even wingers who are accomplished IFs. Their passing heads infield even if the FB has taken up a great position to cross.

I will say if you arent a big team i would suggest using the contain in the 2nd half if you are up. the two times i didnt the other team came back and tied the match in one after being two goals down and in the other i was leading west ham at the half 2-0 and ended up losing 4-2.Ā  when i have used it in 2nd half ive beaten chelsea, tottenham and liverpool so lesson learned

I took off "Get stuck in instruction", Way to many yellow cards, and 2 red cards in 2 seperate matches, But i Am playing as everton 3rd season, and have a brave aggressive hard working side with a lot of tackle divers, So depending on your team this instruction needs careful judgement.

Ā 

Still playing around with winger IF combos, Cant say i see much difference to be honest, just personal preferance/team make up i guess.Ā 

Still my favourite to use since FM16's Stealth Bomber.Ā 

3rd season into my game and my Forest team are 2nd in the Prem with 12 games to go.

its not just that the tactics by Franky that are good, but also the descriptions of each player role. I never used to pay that much attention to them (and I've been playing since Champ Man 1). If you follow the rule to only use players that suit the role then you cant fail. Also work rate is so important. I dont really see otherĀ people bang on about it, its the first stat you should look for in a player. If it wasn't for Franky I'd still be ignorant to it.Ā 

anyway enough of the man love...

1 hour ago, Carninho said:

Still my favourite to use since FM16's Stealth Bomber.Ā 

3rd season into my game and my Forest team are 2nd in the Prem with 12 games to go.

its not just that the tactics by Franky that are good, but also the descriptions of each player role. I never used to pay that much attention to them (and I've been playing since Champ Man 1). If you follow the rule to only use players that suit the role then you cant fail. Also work rate is so important. I dont really see otherĀ people bang on about it, its the first stat you should look for in a player. If it wasn't for Franky I'd still be ignorant to it.Ā 

anyway enough of the man love...

Like you read my mind. I feel like a manager using his tactics.

Not too sure what is happening for me with wingers... Ever since I changed to wingers from inside forwards and got players to suit the roles, I've had my ass absolutely handed to me. Losing matches by 5+ goals has become commonplace. Think I'm going to be staying with IFs for the near future.

11 hours ago, cerud said:

Not too sure what is happening for me with wingers... Ever since I changed to wingers from inside forwards and got players to suit the roles, I've had my ass absolutely handed to me. Losing matches by 5+ goals has become commonplace. Think I'm going to be staying with IFs for the near future.

i rotate between IFs and wingers as not all my players are suitable. my strongest team gives me an IF on the left and winger the right. They all score an equal amount of goals.

I've never had my ass handed to me by 5+ goals more than once or twice a season, and that tends to be away at a top side and try to control the game rather than counter.Ā I cant see it being anything to do with the use of wingers/IFs.Ā Maybe moral is low in the squad and you need a team meeting to boost them back into the green happy zone?Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, Carninho said:

i rotate between IFs and wingers as not all my players are suitable. my strongest team gives me an IF on the left and winger the right. They all score an equal amount of goals.

I've never had my ass handed to me by 5+ goals more than once or twice a season, and that tends to be away at a top side and try to control the game rather than counter.Ā I cant see it being anything to do with the use of wingers/IFs.Ā Maybe moral is low in the squad and you need a team meeting to boost them back into the green happy zone?Ā 

Ā 

I spent the money to get decent wingers and they perform sometimes, but when they do, its more a surprise to me than anything else. I wait till I was fluid with the tactic and have given a couple team talks. The second was a mistake as I was told I'm doing them too often...morale tanked after that.

Side note: how long should I wait between team talks? I waited about two months, but that wasn't enough apparently.

3 hours ago, cerud said:

I spent the money to get decent wingers and they perform sometimes, but when they do, its more a surprise to me than anything else. I wait till I was fluid with the tactic and have given a couple team talks. The second was a mistake as I was told I'm doing them too often...morale tanked after that.

Side note: how long should I wait between team talks? I waited about two months, but that wasn't enough apparently.

i just use them when moral drops after a poor run. Just use the one about 'we've been on a bad run lately but don't let your heads drop'. I NEVER have one when prompted at the end of the season when things are going well as I end up saying the wrong thing and pissing people off then the moral nose dives at a key time.

in terms of my wingers an IFs they don't get great ratings. In fact they are probably the lowest ranked players in the squadĀ 

123thky.jpg

2vakva1.jpg

Hi could someone please post a picture of what the team instructions look like for those of us who are using the touch version of the game. The fmf file won't convert to a tac file for the game on Android so need to manually set up the tactics. Ā Thanks guys.Ā 

Ā 

11 hours ago, cerud said:

Twice a season at the most, I reckon. They are so easy to get wrong. Your try not to put pressure on the players and they accuse you of not being ambitious enough and vice versa.

16 hours ago, Carninho said:

Related to this - I basically play counter all the time. It seems best defensively and offensively for me. If I go behind and change to control for the second half, I create few chances. If I stay on counter, I create chance after chance especially if I've given the players a bollocking at halftime.Ā Anyone else do that?

7 hours ago, Carninho said:

i just use them when moral drops after a poor run. Just use the one about 'we've been on a bad run lately but don't let your heads drop'. I NEVER have one when prompted at the end of the season when things are going well as I end up saying the wrong thing and pissing people off then the moral nose dives at a key time.

in terms of my wingers an IFs they don't get great ratings. In fact they are probably the lowest ranked players in the squadĀ 

123thky.jpg

2vakva1.jpg

Regarding teamtalks - I know how this feels - you're probably right doing it your way. My wingers often get as many goals as assists. It's not uncommon for them to cross from crosses from the opposite winger or usually FB, composure, finishing and maybe more than anything - heading come in very handy. The player is usually unopposed for the ball so heading is more important than jumping - in my game anyway.

5 hours ago, Franko103 said:

Hi could someone please post a picture of what the team instructions look like for those of us who are using the touch version of the game. The fmf file won't convert to a tac file for the game on Android so need to manually set up the tactics. Ā Thanks guys.Ā 

Ā 

This is for the default Control mentality.

control.JPG

8 hours ago, Carninho said:

123thky.jpg

2vakva1.jpg

Ā 

45 minutes ago, Niall76 said:

Twice a season at the most, I reckon. They are so easy to get wrong. Your try not to put pressure on the players and they accuse you of not being ambitious enough and vice versa.

Thanks, gents. Yeah, I NEVER give a talk when I'm a few games away from the end of a season and I'm prompted to. In all my years of FM, I haven't once got that one right. Also, for some reason, I never give talks when managing in any Spanish league. For some reason, team talk or individual talk with a Spanish player, they never go well for me. I even had one player demand a transfer after I told him he was good in front of the goal after a hattrick game. Shame on me, I guess.

I have been using mostly Franky's SUPREME tactic and my IFs have been great. I can count on them each for about 10-15 goals a season. With wingers, they look like chickens with their heads cut off. Might just not suit the guys I brought in to be wingers.

3 hours ago, Niall76 said:

Related to this - I basically play counter all the time. It seems best defensively and offensively for me. If I go behind and change to control for the second half, I create few chances. If I stay on counter, I create chance after chance especially if I've given the players a bollocking at halftime.Ā Anyone else do that?

i played with counter on my first season in the Prem when i finished mid table asĀ i was rarely favourite to win any game. this season once i noticed that i had stayed at the top of the table I left it pretty much on control. I only counter when i'm away at a 'top 6' team or playing out the game I will put the wing backs onto defend andĀ counter. I havent lost more than one game in a row so far. I tend to get moral and formation knowledge as high as possible in pre-season. A good tip for that is to play friendlies every 4 days against really weak sides.Ā 

Just now, Carninho said:

i played with counter on my first season in the Prem when i finished mid table asĀ i was rarely favourite to win any game. this season once i noticed that i had stayed at the top of the table I left it pretty much on control. I only counter when i'm away at a 'top 6' team or playing out the game I will put the wing backs onto defend andĀ counter. I havent lost more than one game in a row so far. I tend to get moral and formation knowledge as high as possible in pre-season. A good tip for that is to play friendlies every 4 days against really weak sides.Ā 

Yeah, I do the same pre-season.

Even when hot favourites I play counter. Control honestly seems to do nothing for my team - it creates far fewer chances.

@superfulhamfc iĀ just going with it even coach disagree, just trait the ppm for player, u can make 1 or 2 player to train ppm coach agreement, and see it will be ruin your game or not, coach must have great ability in tac knowledge and jpa

i just curious, sometimes i get big score, another time just can reach 1 goal, waste opportunity in front of goalies such as, the winger must pass then striker can score but winger not pass and decide to shoot, but still this tactic is very awesome for me

11 hours ago, SuperFulhamFC said:

What do you do when your coaches disagree with the training of the necessary PPMs?

For pretty much every one I've requested they've stated they don't think it to be a good idea.

Yeah, I just tell them to do it anyway although it can be an indication that their attributes aren't quite up to scratch with what you want. The counter-argument, of course, is that I want the winger with dribbling 10 to get forward whenever possible because 10 is great in the Conference North! But still, it may not be good enough for him to learn that skill.

Just out of interest what are you own personal manager ratings I am a two and half star as i just got a promotion with Leeds and then finished mid table with Everton few seasons in. Maybe are star rating has an effect on actual match tactics now?

12 hours ago, Hulkster79 said:

Just out of interest what are you own personal manager ratings I am a two and half star as i just got a promotion with Leeds and then finished mid table with Everton few seasons in. Maybe are star rating has an effect on actual match tactics now?

I had half a star but after my second promotion I now have one. :-)

I still think this is your best tactic. In the season I posted a pic of above I ended up 3rd.

Current season is going just as well. Lost 2 games in the league and won the first 3 Champions League matches.

I saw something interesting in the last game vs Leverkusen. I was 2-1 down and then had a man sent off Ā (RB).

Normally I'd remove a CM and put on a replacement RB, but this time as my weakest player on the pitch was the LW, I subbed him instead and left the formation as it was (so just missing the LW position). I also play on counter now home & away, no matter who i'm against.

My LB (Charlie Taylor) then took over the match and I won 3-2 with crosses from him into the striker.

It may just have been a one off but next time i go a man down I'll remove one of the wingers/inside forwards instead of a CM. Obvs you need a strong fullback covering that flankĀ 

Archived