[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

Offside on Colombia...Kandilidis delays, wasting precious seconds, before launching a ball forward to Tsakiridis, who manages to bring the ball down and turn inside his man...can he get a step?!  No!  Chara intercepts and clears, but Lleshi is there to send the ball back towards Christos!  Look at that leap!!!

fd1c0d5fece32d7a38bd22cce78b4dc8.jpg c54a93c2242a493dc4fca3ddf065906d.jpg

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Colombia compose themselves momentarily...before conceding a silly corner, as the clock slowly winds down.  There will be 2 minutes of stoppage time.  The Colombian support is distraught...the Greeks are daring to believe...

b980b9be91754f2af954128b64efbdd0.jpg

There are no words.  I walked into a side with immense talent, who had come so close 4 years ago.  This was an incredible team effort, given our heavy match rotation twice -- both matches where a loss would prove  fatal to our dreams.

We've done it.  Together.  As the accolades flow in, I know it is time to move on.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

1d6079d7974c24afd3115b69c1fd65c8.png 6e92cc8a5f841106db97d881815d2368.png a4a8f19ef10f07adf10e145437593376.png

1786c6d1ede096408292db2919dfc76e.jpg 868274ac6d45dd08e2a500b9d28378da.png

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

Hakan was seen to wave his arms oddly, and mouth "I'll tweet you later" at the head of the Colombian FA as they left the pitch.

I'll be sure to tag Lukas Hrubes as well.

Croatia. :( 3rd was still a great run, but such a massive missed opportunity after making it as far as they semi-finals, with beatable opponents in Colombia. Came so close to either winning the World Cup or becoming an eligible side. 

Great tournament overall! That was really entertaining to read, specially the penalty shootout vs Mexico in the quarters. And I can't believe by the end I was cheering for the Greeks of all people! :eek:

This means you've now won the World Cup with 3 different nations in the same career? This must be some sort of FMCU record, I don't recall that being done ever before.

7 hours ago, Joe. said:

Wahey! Nice one! 

Thanks, man! I'm salivating at the prospect of Colombia :D

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

Croatia. :( 3rd was still a great run, but such a massive missed opportunity after making it as far as they semi-finals, with beatable opponents in Colombia. Came so close to either winning the World Cup or becoming an eligible side. 

Great tournament overall! That was really entertaining to read, specially the penalty shootout vs Mexico in the quarters. And I can't believe by the end I was cheering for the Greeks of all people! :eek:

This means you've now won the World Cup with 3 different nations in the same career? This must be some sort of FMCU record, I don't recall that being done ever before.

Thanks, man! It was a phenomenal tournament - lots of drama! 

I'm going to try to make it 4 soon enough...if 3 is a record of any kind, it's only because few (if any) people go after it!

Croatia would have been great fun, but I'm very pleased with Colombia -- they have a relatively young squad, almost all of whom could return in 4 years' time. No one is on the verge of retirement. 

4 hours ago, Rikulec said:

:applause:

Thanks, man :D

Yes man. :applause:We decided quite unselfishly to let you go through, you know in the interest of fairness and all that. :brock:

Do you plan on picking another national team right away or just sticking with Frankfurt for now? Also what does the Banks look like for Ireland? Looks like he must have had a decent tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Yes man. :applause:We decided quite unselfishly to let you go through, you know in the interest of fairness and all that. :brock:

We're only in it for the craic anyway.

I'm certain the Greek/Irish party that night was legendary.

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

If we heard any of the things that happened, we wouldn't believe it.

Absolutely fantastic! And loving the fact that Colombia got through - dream stuff.

Quite the road to the trophy too with penalties and despite dominating the final only one goal to separate the two sides. 

3 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Do you plan on picking another national team right away or just sticking with Frankfurt for now? Also what does the Banks look like for Ireland? Looks like he must have had a decent tournament. 

After resigning, I saved and went to sleep. So, I don't know what opportunities are even available at this point. I'd love to take on Turkey or Colombia, given the quality of players they can generate (and Colombia is built for 2050), or even take another crack at Mexico.

There will be a big focus on Frankfurt for now, even if I do get another job. I'm going to trim the squad and get them completely built for the Champions League. There's no longer a need to focus on Greek development, so it's all about putting Frankfurt over the top.

I'm also going to change up my tactics at the next stop in the journey. No changes at Frankfurt for 2046/47.  That being said, if we don't win the Champions League this year I might begin to tinker in 2047/48.

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

It was. Although what exactly Berbatov was planning to do with all that mayonnaise, I don't want to know.

3 hours ago, Keano16 said:

If we heard any of the things that happened, we wouldn't believe it.

Pics or it didn't happen!

2 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Absolutely fantastic! And loving the fact that Colombia got through - dream stuff.

Quite the road to the trophy too with penalties and despite dominating the final only one goal to separate the two sides. 

It was great fun - truly. Can't wait to tilt at it again, with another nation.

2 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

#WeGotItalia90Again

Reading the commentary of the Ireland match had me confused. 50% of me wanted you to win but 50% of me really wanted Ireland in the final.

Haha that's totally fair. My "commentary" during matches is about 50% Hakan, and 50% what a commentator might say...it's a weird mix!

2 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Colombia!

landscape-1435244224-pablo-escobar-narco

That 'stache and smirk are perfect :lol:

Edited by ManUtd1

2 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

It was. Although what exactly Berbatov was planning to do with all that mayonnaise, I don't want to know.

Being Berbasex, I can only assume it's something absurdly magical.

Also filthy..... so very filthy.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Being Berbasex, I can only assume it's something absurdly magical.

Also filthy..... so very filthy.

There was a LOT of mayo. :brock:

1 hour ago, Mark Heath said:

congrats on a superb achievement with Greece, looking forward to seeing where you go next

Thanks, man! Frankfurt is up first, to finish my business there. Definitely excited for the next national team job, though! Watch this space! :lol:

45 minutes ago, EvilDave said:

A bit late to the party, but what an achievement with Greece! Seems like you controlled every game at the tournament - will be interested to see what tactic Hakan has up his sleeve for the next nation...

Thanks, man! I'm debating between some strikerless tweaks, and something completely different...

:onmehead:

I was a strikerless convert myself on FM 15. After reading Guido's blog, I first started with the generic 4-3-3-0, then moved on to 4-2-2-2-0, then 4-1-3-2-0. Never did a back 3, which is my biggest regret as now that Mourinho and Wenger are experimenting with a back 3, it's no more hipster.

I did do a back 3 but with one centre back and 2 fullbacks  for an easy fixture.

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Exclusively strikers! Trained to play in every position! :D

5 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Berbasex = Mayo-Magic.

I approve of this.

It will be called The ZlataCantona, and in their honor we shall conquer.  And karate kick anyone who gets in our way.

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

I was a strikerless convert myself on FM 15. After reading Guido's blog, I first started with the generic 4-3-3-0, then moved on to 4-2-2-2-0, then 4-1-3-2-0. Never did a back 3, which is my biggest regret as now that Mourinho and Wenger are experimenting with a back 3, it's no more hipster.

I did do a back 3 but with one centre back and 2 fullbacks  for an easy fixture.

It's truly a great way to play.  @Guimy currently has a 3 at the back tactic up -- Wolfpack -- and another in a post from a guest blogger:

https://strikerless.com/2017/04/14/the-wolf-pack-tactic/

https://strikerless.com/2017/04/28/senza-centravanti-catenaccio-door-bolt-strikerless/

They're not for the faint of heart, and I'm debating a similar approach for my next stop (a mix of the Wolfpack and Decapitated Buffalo tactics).

Ok, here's the post-World Cup managerial landscape, 24 hours after the final:

e5a11a9510b5d0155efb3d0004e6c68c.jpg 

Something is bound to open up.  I'm hoping that Colombia's manager jumps ship...either to one of these nations, or a club that opens up as the reshuffling begins.

10 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

giphy.gif

Craig Robinson will definitely play Nelson in the next Telleus movie, with his hair dyed grey.

That works perfectly. Another option would be Forest Whitaker bu he wouldn't want to do such an obviously low budget joke of a movie.

But Nelson being the delusional narcissistic person that he is, may suggest Will Smith

Edited by kidthekid

I think - Nay, I know - that Nelson would suggest resurrecting Nelson Mandela to play him. It's either him or Morgan Freeman.

We all know Samuel L Jackson would accept it straight away, but who wants that?

We can't go down the Cosby route...oh, man...

It's now mid-August, and no eligible national team positions opened up after the World Cup.  So, we'll soldier on at Frankfurt only for now.

3 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

We can't go down the Cosby route...oh, man...

It's now mid-August, and no eligible national team positions opened up after the World Cup.  So, we'll soldier on at Frankfurt only for now.

Nelson is suspect enough to aaalmost go down that route. Also just almost.

Hoping for Colombia or Mexico, if you have to pull the focus back on your save!

8 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

Hoping for Colombia or Mexico, if you have to pull the focus back on your save!

Those are my first choices, followed by Turkey.  Turkey is "insecure" right now, but that means nothing unless they fall on their face in the Nations League B against Ireland and the Czech Republic.  Slovakia are also insecure, but they're in the Nations League D with Azerbaijan, San Marino and Lithuania...even if it were to open up, I'm not sure that I'm interested.  

On 2017-4-28 at 18:18, ManUtd1 said:

Haha that's totally fair. My "commentary" during matches is about 50% Hakan, and 50% what a commentator might say...it's a weird mix!

:lol:

Oh your commentary is grand, I meant I was confused as to whether I was supporting Hakan or Ireland. :lol: I didn't word my comment that well.

Do you have a preference for your next country or will you just take the next eligible one?

Edited by Fer Fuchs Ake

38 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Oh your commentary is grand, I meant I was confused as to whether I was supporting Hakan or Ireland. :lol: I didn't word my comment that well.

Do you have a preference for your next country or will you just take the next eligible one?

Hahaha thanks, man!  Definitely Colombia or Mexico, as my preferred destination.  Turkey is closely behind...the other eligible nations (Slovakia, Hungary and the Czechs, it would have to feel right in the moment).

Ok, the season is kicking off, and I had promised some changes in the side to focus on Europe.  In the end, I decided we were good enough (for the most part) and only brought in 3 players -- 2 who will be in the 2nd XI, 1 for the future:

9760e421b33d649624f40a77fffc0f94.jpg 

648de49849e34bd9f33cb4daccdc59eb.jpg 76c89e35b32d1774b2555909769b6f7f.jpg b59eeb4a8ea50095fb2a60ca58e503bc.jpg 

Abdalla and Vasallo are huge prospects.  Diagne is a work-in-progress.  

We're ready to assault the CL.

Tremendous Champions League draw.  That fiver I slipped Joey Barton was clearly worth far more to him than I would have suspected, as he drew those ping-pong balls like a ****ing champ.

3f3c7e37a3db61988811d9d23a549d47.jpg 

Edited by ManUtd1

That keeper (too lazy to go back and get the name, don't judge me....) doesn't seem to be that highly rated by your coaches. You obviously feel he has something? Those other two signings though. :eek:

11 hours ago, Keano16 said:

That keeper (too lazy to go back and get the name, don't judge me....) doesn't seem to be that highly rated by your coaches. You obviously feel he has something? Those other two signings though. :eek:

*Judging intensifies* 

Also I agree, that Diagne (the GK) isn't looking like a star currently, but I did notice good kicking as well as being ambidextrous. Decent rushing out, brave, good decision making, vision. Could he be a sweeper keeper in the making for Hakan? 

The other two are quite obviously gifted.