World Class Players from Malaysia, San Marino, Gibraltar?

Is it possible to get world class players from these countries in Youth Intakes. I know the Youth Rating of each of these countries is fairly low, the highest being maybe around

I was thinking of starting a save and was wondering whether I would be able to develop enough youth players to make those nations compete in World Cups.

No, in a word.  The only chance of success in Gibraltar without editing anything appeared to be getting naturalised players in that were of a higher standard than whatever you could produce.  Of course, said naturalised players would play for their own country if they were good enough, so we're not talking stars really.  Enough to qualify for a Euros perhaps - did that once.

I have taken Wales to the 7th strongest league in Europe yet many of my youth intake are English (I'm TNS, so I'm technically based there) Wales have some world class players having come from other Welsh clubs but mainly through English clubs, that get sent on loan to us. What you are saying IS possible but takes a long time I'm in 2044 and still only getting 2 or 3, regardless of quality in a youth intake. There's a great story about Gibraltar somewhere on the forum that could serve as inspiration.

1 minute ago, Geordieboy52 said:

I have taken Wales to the 7th strongest league in Europe yet many of my youth intake are English (I'm TNS, so I'm technically based there) Wales have some world class players having come from other Welsh clubs but mainly through English clubs, that get sent on loan to us. What you are saying IS possible but takes a long time I'm in 2044 and still only getting 2 or 3, regardless of quality in a youth intake. There's a great story about Gibraltar somewhere on the forum that could serve as inspiration.

That was mine :)

i don't know exactly, but I'd imagine that Wales' youth rating is much, much higher than Gibraltar.  It's not an exact science but if a nation's youth rating is low, you're very, very unlikely to get anyone worthwhile.  Things will definitely progress, but if you're getting to the point where you're getting enough money to pump into facilities, you'll be vastly outpacing how the youths improve.  I remember year after year of 1* youth intakes, most of them getting released and filtering down to other clubs in the country.

18 minutes ago, forameuss said:

i don't know exactly, but I'd imagine that Wales' youth rating is much, much higher than Gibraltar.  It's not an exact science but if a nation's youth rating is low, you're very, very unlikely to get anyone worthwhile.  Things will definitely progress, but if you're getting to the point where you're getting enough money to pump into facilities, you'll be vastly outpacing how the youths improve.  I remember year after year of 1* youth intakes, most of them getting released and filtering down to other clubs in the country.

So in all your experience of managing in Gibraltar you didnt get one notable player in the youth intake?

How good were your facilities etc.

Im going to read that thread now

Thanks for the replies everyone!

8 minutes ago, Anaconda Vice said:

So in all your experience of managing in Gibraltar you didnt get one notable player in the youth intake?

How good were your facilities etc.

Im going to read that thread now

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Not that I can remember.  It isn't the save I managed to get Gibraltar to the Euros in (think that was FM14, or maybe early FM15) but looking at the players I was using in the latter stages, there were no Gibraltarians in there whatsoever.  I remember getting great ones early on (relatively of course, because the starting team is so poor) then at one point it just turning to getting completely useless players year after year.  I used to cover the intake each time it happened, but stopped by around 2035 because they were so terrible.  The last player I highlighted (I usually nickname the players with the intake to keep track) was from 2026.  

Youth facilities ended on the level above good (can't remember what that is, last record was at good, with one more improvement after that), junior coaching was exceptional, youth recruitment topped out at above average (maybe linked to youth rating?)

I had a world class player from San Marino in one of my holiday saves. It is possible, just not very likely. A team full of them would be really hard. Your best bet for getting a decent national team from a weak nation would be to sign a lot of foreigners who aren't good enough for their own national team and hope some of them convert, but that is of course not as easy in every nation.

I developed the Maltese league and we became a mid level European team, nothing outrageous, had a couple of really good players, but in terms of it happening randomly, unfortunately not so much

It's surely not impossible though?

I have seen a Conference North side produce a 200 PA player in FM 2016, with no significant youth setup at all.

Managed to get him for £50,000 and he scored about 200 Premier League goals for me.

50 minutes ago, nb9 said:

It's surely not impossible though?

I have seen a Conference North side produce a 200 PA player in FM 2016, with no significant youth setup at all.

Managed to get him for £50,000 and he scored about 200 Premier League goals for me.

Conference player as in England?  Who have a fairly high youth rating relatively?  Of course it's not impossible there, but the situations are not remotely comparable.  Youth rating is a massive throttle on what you're going to get through.

Its not impossible just extremely rare.

TBH you are probably more likely to get a rare nation newgen through a big club rather than from the nation itself.

A couple of FMs ago I saw one from Bhutan but if I remember right he actually came through the Barcelona academy.

5 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

TBH you are probably more likely to get a rare nation newgen through a big club rather than from the nation itself.

A couple of FMs ago I saw one from Bhutan but if I remember right he actually came through the Barcelona academy.

It's a known "cheat." If you want to make Hong Kong, or whatever a strong team, you make a Hong Kong manager and take over a club like Barça or Arsenal. 

My 4-star kid from Mauritius was spawned there, and snapped up by Grasshoppers. Your guess is as good as mine how they found him. I guess someone was going to. 

8 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Would agree on this, I had a triple Ballon Dor winner from Iraq a few years ago who came through Bayern's academy

In my save I had a ballon dor winner from New Zealand one year and another winner from a Caribbean Island  (can't remember which?) this was like 15+ years into a save though

10 hours ago, ajj2410 said:

In my save I had a ballon dor winner from New Zealand one year and another winner from a Caribbean Island  (can't remember which?) this was like 15+ years into a save though

Both of which could easily have come through English youth systems.

34 minutes ago, suncrush said:

Both of which could easily have come through English youth systems.

Yeah the Caribbean guy came through Manchester United I think it was and the New Zealand guy came through the youth system of A-League side the Wellington Phoenix 

Neither won Ballon d'Or, but Dwight Yorke (Trinidad & Tobago) was a fairly good player, and John Barnes (born Jamaican by Trinidad father, but moved to England) was PFA Players' PotY twice.
Both hailed from relatively small countries (not exactly minnows like San Marino or Gibraltar though).

On 28/11/2016 at 12:52, Anaconda Vice said:

Is it possible to get world class players from these countries in Youth Intakes. I know the Youth Rating of each of these countries is fairly low, the highest being maybe around

Reveal hidden contents

I was thinking of starting a save and was wondering whether I would be able to develop enough youth players to make those nations compete in World Cups.

San Mario is a little different from the other Nations you listed because they have a Sammarinese club playing in the Italian structure. 

If you can improve the club side so that it is a big club with excellent facilities and infrastructure, then there is every chance that you will get a player through with the potential to be World Class and who is also eligible to play for San Marino. 

I "think" i did thin in FM14, but it was a while ago and I'm not 100% sure. 

With that exception, I would go with the 1st response from forameuss.

Same goes for Vaduz. They played some years in the top flight in Switzerland and yet ... almost no players from Liechtenstein in the squad. I wonder if Vaduz manages to stay for 4-5 more years without relegation, will there be an improvement in the Liechtenstein national team and will those players playing and born in/around Vaduz be willing to play for Liechtenstein?

So far, in real life, absolutely no improvement. And teams like Faroe Islands got really much better. I recall Curacao, they were ****, one of the worst teams in the Caribbean some years ago (well Dutch Antilles) now after Kluivert and all the players from Eredivisie born on the island/with parents born there, Curacao is really much better.

So, I imagine something like that will be possible on FM.

Re--San Marino and Liechtenstein.  You can absolutely use the club-and-country approach to build stronger national sides.  You can build up the clubs to high levels, invest in the youth system, and it will start giving you much stronger regens.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  San Marino can get promoted to the Serie A, which is a much stronger league than the Swiss Super League, which will improve the quality of your regens.  A very high fraction of your players will have Italian citizenship, though.  Your best players will get nationality-tied to Italy, and your very good ones will refuse to play for San Marino for many, many years, in the hopes of getting an Italian call-up. It is also impossible to gain Sammaranese citizenship in-game (because it is virtually impossible in real life.

Vaduz generally won't get regens as strong, unless you manage to build up the entire Swiss League to a top-tier league.  You will also have dual-nationality players, and since, in most saves, Switzerland isn't as strong as Italy, you may see a higher fraction get picked off by the Swiss team.  On the other hand, last I checked (which was FM12, I think) it took only 5 years to get Liechtensteiner citizenship.  When I did the Vaduz/Liechtenstein challenge, I didn't bother with trying to develop youth, and I spiked my team with South Americans and lower-tier Germans, Spaniards and Italians.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 14:01, forameuss said:

How did you find stadium expansion?  I've read your story and it seems it took a long time, I am in 2048 and still playing my European games at Shrewsbury Town because the board wont build a new stadium!  Struggling to attract people to league games despite 3 teams entering the group stages of various continental competition but really could do with a new ground just so I don't have to rely on selling my best players to survive.  Got around £200 million in the bank, after a bit of a fire sale in the summer.  Any tips?  Playing FMC on 16.

In a word - unrealistic.  Gibraltar is obviously pretty tiny, and I think at one point there were 4 or 5 new stadiums built for clubs.  That's along with Europa Point (which was programmed to complete in 2016) and the Victoria Stadium.  Looking at the map, that's pretty much impossible.  There's also a pretty well documented finance bug (or not a bug, who knows) in Gibraltar in previous versions where you got insane TV and prize money deals to really boost your bank account.  Guess that helps in stadium and facility increases when you're getting £100 million for a 4 game stretch in the Rock Cup.  

Playing in Italy at the moment and I snapped up two young Sammaranese players from the club and both whilst not being world class have got 3* potential in Serie A.  I looked again this year at their intake but slim pickings, definitely feel by having this side in a playable league they will generate more players

On 11/29/2016 at 16:22, suncrush said:

It's a known "cheat." If you want to make Hong Kong, or whatever a strong team, you make a Hong Kong manager and take over a club like Barça or Arsenal. 

My 4-star kid from Mauritius was spawned there, and snapped up by Grasshoppers. Your guess is as good as mine how they found him. I guess someone was going to. 

I don't think you're going to get enough players over a timespan to really change the identity of a NT that much.

Say you get a regen with your managers nationality every three years. That's four players over a twelve year span. That's without the likelihood of them not all being great or playing the same position, etc.

• 1 month later...

I know Iceland is bugger than the likes of San Marino and Gibraltar, but that's where I am playing so....

I am playing a Youth only save in Iceland and am currently in Sep 2029. The below player is a product of my Youth Academy in Iceland and has no 2nd Nationality. He's not the best player I have produced, (at least according to the star rating system), but he is the 1st to be regarded as a Wonderkid. If I can produce a Wonderkid, then I should be able to develop them into a World Class Player. 

af4ac22f5348c339fb165a676eb1cfdd.png

4a106ca5b2546e5e1093f0da3b3294ef.png

Not world class but relevant to the level I'm managing at:

I'm currently scouting a 23yo Maltese International  who came through & has spent his entire career so far at Sydney Utd 58 FC (Semi Pro Australian team).

On 1/9/2017 at 00:50, Cougar2010 said:

Not world class but relevant to the level I'm managing at:

I'm currently scouting a 23yo Maltese International  who came through & has spent his entire career so far at Sydney Utd 58 FC (Semi Pro Australian team).

Screenshot pls?

On my game in Italy I had Serie C loaded as well and San Marino club side produced 4-5 extremely good talents, 2 players had just San Marino nationality have gone onto win a bunch of caps and both ended at PSG, I signed one player as a winger for my side and he has Italian nationality and he's good but not anywhere near the Italy side and thus far refusing to consider any other option.  If you keep developing the club side I am sure you can get the national side hopefully at least competitive.  Happy to post some screenshots if people want to see the players

These two are the best of those that have come through in my Faroe Islands save.

2558bb8e505614f8363b05c98349e7f2.png

Not world class, but a very good forward.

ae60819e803f9ab0a1184b197fedd4dd.png

This guy might have the potential though, a lot of massive clubs are chasing him.

So I loaded up my Parma save to see how the 2 quality players from San Marino I poached years ago are doing since I signed them.  Both were snapped up from San Marino while they were at San Marino (club) and thus they got  15% sell on clause.  I sold both players for hefty fees and the club now has "secure" finances however it hasn't helped them as they have slipped back into Serie D.

Here are the 2 players

sanmarino2_zpszr8sgldx.png

sanmarino3_zpsvdmw7ztk.png

sanmarino4_zpsshwgthoi.png

They have helped the national side (currently ranked 147th) and have caused a few upsets over the years heres how their rankings have yo-yoed over the years

sanmarino_zpsghrxhrzu.png

Archived